Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2010, 11:54   #16
Senior - BHPian

Nishanth was stabilized from the front and towed from the back by Rajesh.

Due to the angle, the vehicle was starved of diesel. Had tried towing up hill, but was of no use.

@Tejas: Few people had cleared that track, but at a point slightly to the right of where he was beached. Reckon he was supposed to take the same path, but a wrong turn took him where he ended up and in that angle.

It was a scary sight to see it do a slight sway toward the pit when it got stuck, but fortunately it stabilized! It was at the threshold point of tilting. (Seriously, I think it was due to Nishant being at the driving seat, that is the weight, that the vehicle tilted back.).

Last edited by HappyWheels : 5th April 2010 at 11:56.
Old 5th April 2010, 11:58   #17
BHPian

Jeep marking its territory ??!!? Rajesh, what was it doing BTW ?

OTR Report: Half Day @ Bidaraguppe (Off Sarjapur Road)-img_6254.jpg

Had a good weekend. OTR, post OTR (siddu's cats topic ) , everything. nice stress buster it was. Driving a Jeep for the 1st time is something one cannot explain. Yeah, was driving nishanth's jeep. And this guy was like - Dude, go n try off roading. Man , Ive never driven a jeep in my life and hes telling me to take offroad. Anyways I really appreciate that he asked a newbie to take a newly restored jeep to offroad. Thanks bud

Last edited by Dippy : 6th April 2010 at 10:10. Reason: Deleting extra smiley. Only two smileys per post allowed.
Old 5th April 2010, 12:06   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

[quote=HappyWheels;1820590

Due to the angle, the vehicle was starved of diesel.[/QUOTE]

i've never heard of that happening. Even my jeep has done similar angles and has never been starved of diesel. See pic below:

@nishanth: did you fill up the tank fully? how much diesel was there?
Old 5th April 2010, 12:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
i've never heard of that happening. Even my jeep has done similar angles and has never been starved of diesel. See pic below:
Fuel tank in a Classic is located right under the co-driver's seat whereas in a MM540 it is right at the back below the tail gate - not sure if that would have made the difference. Also, the direction of the tilt (port vs starboard) would also matter in view of the location of the fuel line outlet.
Old 5th April 2010, 12:23   #20
Senior - BHPian

Your vehicle angle is exactly the opposite of what Nishant's vehicle was at.

So, guess you got to hear something for the first time now.
Old 5th April 2010, 12:31   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Fuel tank in a Classic is located right under the co-driver's seat whereas in a MM540 it is right at the back below the tail gate - not sure if that would have made the difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Your vehicle angle is exactly the opposite of what Nishant's vehicle was at.

So, guess you got to hear something for the first time now.
Nope. I think it's the same angle. And ya, there's always a first time.

I have seen this happening with Safaris a lot often but never with Jeeps and Gypsies. Can any other Jeep owners give their feedback as well?

So once the car did get onto level ground, did she start on the first crank or did you need to prime the fuel pump?

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 5th April 2010 at 12:34. Reason: typo
Old 5th April 2010, 12:46   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nope. I think it's the same angle. And ya, there's always a first time.

I have seen this happening with Safaris a lot often but never with Jeeps and Gypsies. Can any other Jeep owners give their feedback as well?

So once the car did get onto level ground, did she start on the first crank or did you need to prime the fuel pump?
Tejas,

As I can see from the pictures you have posted, you were decenting into the pit. where as Nishant's jeep got stuck while climbing out. Fuel had leveled itself to left rear. Hence, the suction pipe was not immersed in the fuel.

When we recovered the jeep to level ground below, the vehicle started with 2 cranks.

Arka,

Yes we employed similar recovery plan to that of Sanjay on blr annual OTR. Only difference was we held the front and sides, pulled the jeep backwards.

Newbies, you folks rock. Very good enthusiasm in you. Hope to see you next.

Hisunil, will have to work on his rear bumper. The rear ladder atached to bumper was the culprit. remove it for future otrs. Otherwise, gypsy bumper will not get damaged.

Cooldube a.k.a. rahul dubey, it was pleasure having you back on OTR. Hope to see you more. Please post the pictures.

Last edited by dwaraka : 5th April 2010 at 12:48.
Old 5th April 2010, 13:01   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Dwarak, hats off to you unclejee for managing a motley crowd of monkeys which was the rest of us there at the OTR.

And Ajay, gypsy-boy - for sure you didnt expect such a turnout for that very simple 5 liner *Lets Go OTR on Sunday* post, did ya?!

And everyone else - you have truly NOT attended an OTR until and unless Arka was a part of that!
Old 5th April 2010, 13:07   #24
Senior - BHPian

Good OTR and great learning's to newbies.

@Nishanth- Great to see you explore your jeeps side tilt angle capability!!Good recovery guys!!

Does KA 05 MG 2032 king disabled its stabilizer bars? Good articulation there.

p.s- Nishanth, i didn't like the lights set up on your bumper and the red theme through out. IMO it looked better without it. Purely my personal opinion. That rugged look is compromised a little i feel.
Old 5th April 2010, 13:47   #25
BHPian

Here are few pictures from my camera, mostly taken by my son. You can see my kids, the budding Jeepers (not Gypsyers) in a couple of the pictures. How I wish I had similar experiences when I was young eh.? I guess it is never too early, never too late!
Attached Thumbnails
OTR Report: Half Day @ Bidaraguppe (Off Sarjapur Road)-p1011602_2.jpg  

OTR Report: Half Day @ Bidaraguppe (Off Sarjapur Road)-p1011606_4.jpg  

OTR Report: Half Day @ Bidaraguppe (Off Sarjapur Road)-p1011616_6.jpg  

OTR Report: Half Day @ Bidaraguppe (Off Sarjapur Road)-p1011614_5.jpg  

OTR Report: Half Day @ Bidaraguppe (Off Sarjapur Road)-p1011622_7.jpg  

OTR Report: Half Day @ Bidaraguppe (Off Sarjapur Road)-p1011620_7.jpg  

OTR Report: Half Day @ Bidaraguppe (Off Sarjapur Road)-p1011633_8.jpg  

OTR Report: Half Day @ Bidaraguppe (Off Sarjapur Road)-p1011636_9.jpg  

OTR Report: Half Day @ Bidaraguppe (Off Sarjapur Road)-p1011638_10.jpg  

Old 5th April 2010, 13:48   #26
BHPian

Quote:
How did nishant get stuck at that angle? Was he trying a make an ascent sideways?
Tejas,

Ok there was this second pit where after descending you can take either the left route or the right route to get out of. The first time i went in and got out taking the left route, took a turn and came back for trying out the right exit route. during the ascent with momentum, my right wheel went upon a small mould and the wheel turned left sharply and before i could stop it i went left and landed up there. hurt my left hand thumb bone in the process. The second exit route is just around where the back of the jeep is but straight up. Once I was recovered i went back up straight in the second exit, this time holding the steering tight straight though!

Quote:
i've never heard of that happening. Even my jeep has done similar angles and has never been starved of diesel.
@nishanth: did you fill up the tank fully? how much diesel was there?
The tank was full to the brim. But as Dwarak sir pointed out my tank is at the back and the "KHAKHI" was tilted to left and down at the back. So guess Diesel was not reaching the front. But once i came down it stared without any problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
@Nishanth- Great to see you explore your jeeps side tilt angle capability!!Good recovery guys!!

p.s- Nishanth, i didn't like the lights set up on your bumper and the red theme through out. IMO it looked better without it. Purely my personal opinion. That rugged look is compromised a little i feel.
hey Vinod

AGREED!!about the red paint. Always had the idea of painting it in the army style, the mental image of Khakhi and red seemed nice, but the look after getting it painted it dint turn out to be what i had thought. Though even i thought it looked better before the red was painted i think this is not too bad either.

As for the lights planning for a bull bar and lights will go over it and the winch will come in its place. Need the extra lights for night time especially for highway driving in the night.

Cheers

Nishanth

Last edited by hgnishanth : 5th April 2010 at 13:51.
Old 5th April 2010, 14:02   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgnishanth View Post
Tejas,
hurt my left hand thumb bone in the process. The second exit route is just around where the back of the jeep is but straight up. Once I was recovered i went back up straight in the second exit, this time holding the steering tight straight though!
Guruve,

The thumb incident has happened to me before and its very very very painful

I have learnt the hard way, that when offroading, always hold the steering wheel with your thumb on the outside of the wheel - and never wedged inside which is what we normally do.

So when there is a steering whiplash like what you experienced, your thumb will be hit by the spokes. If your thumb was outside, no chance of that happening.

Nothing works like trial by fire.
Old 5th April 2010, 15:30   #28
BHPian

Great way to spend a sunday morning, even if it was just the first time for me. Will definitely make it a point to attend future OTRs, if there's a free seat around. Wish I could join the "after-party" too, but had other plans, so had to ride off. Hope it was "smashing"

Cheers
Rahul
Old 5th April 2010, 16:59   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Rahul! A few us are Yezdi/Jawa freaks too :-) We must ride out sometime (when the weather eases a little). Will keep you posted. PM me your number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Great way to spend a sunday morning, even if it was just the first time for me. Will definitely make it a point to attend future OTRs, if there's a free seat around. Wish I could join the "after-party" too, but had other plans, so had to ride off. Hope it was "smashing"

Cheers
Rahul
Old 5th April 2010, 18:12   #30
BHPian

What an fun and action oriented OTR meet, Wish I could been a part of the event, unfortunate I was out of bangalore
Really missed it

Most Viewed