Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2010, 12:41   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdev29 View Post

3) regarding intrusctions and help, i dont think anyone in this group will say "No" for anything, its just did you ask for it??? you dont have to ask trust me bro.. i think you didnt gel with everyone where people will be proactive.. for ex. Gogi was first timer i think he had no issues in terms of suggestions and guidence, prashant, mohan have done their first OTR with this group i think no one has faced this problem..
Absolutely Devang - I'm with you on this.. My equipment and knowledge about 4x4's and OTR's was "ZERO" right from the rendezvous point - The guys were more than helpful - It felt like I'd known you'll forever.. I was feeling a little embarrassed to ask for a push again and again though - but my excitement made me shameless after a while ..

I avoided turning my Jeep off as I didn't want to keep asking for help.. but I had guys asking me to turn it off anyways saying " arrey, don't worry..this is NORMAL" and laughed it off..

And trust me.. I needed a lot of help and guidance during this event and was overwhelmed with the response!! I'm gonna give a count of my jump starts in my detailed experience report this evening to prove this

surprisingly, I was even asked to tow a couple of vehicles in my first OTR!! This shows faith, trust and most importantly - the willingness to want to teach and make you a part of the experience.. My wife and I felt like we've know this lot forever.. They bestowed confidence in me during the night "slush fest", not to mention lightening up the venue and my spirits..

Thanks again guys..

Last edited by R32_GTR : 13th April 2010 at 12:51.
Old 13th April 2010, 12:52   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hopefully you will get used to with Chaos and may start liking it too.
Devang, I still believe we can do it with discipline and still have fun. In any case I am sure we can all find our space to play at the OTR venues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR View Post
I avoided turning my Jeep off as I didn't want to keep asking for help.. but I had guys asking me to turn it off anyways saying " arrey, don't worry..this is NORMAL" and laughed it off..
No wonder!! I was wondering why this classic was idling away whenever I saw it. Was a bit tempted to hop in and drive off

Nobody seen my Hella caps yet? Sod them...where can I buy replacements?
Old 13th April 2010, 13:00   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Nobody seen my Hella caps yet? Sod them...where can I buy replacements?
I have a sequence of shots which I studied with great forensic detail and now provides conclusive evidence that your cap was washed away when you were fording back from the other bank kicking up some big waves.

Time to get a new one
Old 13th April 2010, 13:07   #94
Senior - BHPian

Whatever, you guys do. Please be safe.

That video of the gypsy coming tangential was uncalled for IMO.

@ pdev, we are all there to have fun at OTRs, but we need to be safe than sorry. IFF, any member has a problem, medical injury or otherwise, the kind of stress it puts on the organisers is unimaginable.

I've known organisers go through HELL last year when one of the group killed a pedestrian on road last year!!!!!

I also know the trauma the owner of the jeep went through and eventually sold his beloved JEEP.

I'm in no way trying to prove a point, but just sharing my experience.

Guys, have fun and BE SAFE!!! You only live ONCE!!!

Last edited by headers : 13th April 2010 at 13:21.
Old 13th April 2010, 13:23   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
I have a sequence of shots which I studied with great forensic detail and now provides conclusive evidence that your cap was washed away when you were fording back from the other bank kicking up some big waves.

Time to get a new one
There They Are Peeping Out

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-gs1.jpg

Maybe They Are

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-gs2.jpg

Definitely They Are Not

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-gs3.jpg
Old 13th April 2010, 13:31   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Headers, it will roll without A pedal inputs, no big deal.

Spike
It IS A BIG DEAL. It obvious wont crawl the entire obstacle without inputs Spike. Then I dont need 4WD also!!! One should explore the extent to which the THAR would go..

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
Time to get a new one
IMO, time to remove the fog lights and fix them elsewhere or throw them away!! I've had to do this transformation over years of learning OTRs
Old 13th April 2010, 13:44   #97
Senior - BHPian

@Headers - I've fixed them there because I saw everyone else had them there. On the road it is a great place to have them but clearly it won't work out for OTRs. I was more worried about ramming them into the steeper inclines. I'll try to relocate them ahead of the next OTR.

@Genesis - Superb pics sequence man
Old 13th April 2010, 14:17   #98
Senior - BHPian

For GSFERRARI

My Gypsy initially:

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-image002.jpg

Now after some OTR bashings:
Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-dscn4515.jpg
Old 13th April 2010, 14:30   #99
BANNED

Quote:
Nobody seen my Hella caps yet?
You need to go back to that lake to get that cap.

Check these:

Here you are having them:

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-gs1.jpg

Here you lose it:

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-gs2.jpg

This is how Geoff in now

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-gs3.jpg

Last edited by Spitfire : 13th April 2010 at 14:32.
Old 13th April 2010, 14:45   #100
Senior - BHPian

@Spitfire - thanks man! Not going back to the lake for this cap. If I can get a replacement in Mumbai it will be great.

@Headers - fantastic! Thanks! SPOA + Fender removal + skid plate + integrated indicators/brake lights I assume. I will have to work on something like this soon. Will also be useful for my Ladakh trip.

Sending you a PM...have a few more queries.
Old 13th April 2010, 14:53   #101
Senior - BHPian

ferari,

great pics and stunts. In the last pic , i see a vehicle parked next to your gypsy. what vehicle is this. Looks to be nissan truck or some offroading truck
Old 13th April 2010, 15:01   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
In the last pic , i see a vehicle parked next to your gypsy. what vehicle is this. Looks to be nissan truck or some offroading truck
Sir this picture was posted by Headers and not by me (assuming you are talking about the SPOA'd Gypsy with TN registration).
Old 13th April 2010, 15:17   #103
BHPian

Now that i have met most of the offroad guys this side of the country ,I guess this might be a good time to let people know....

I am in the process of planning a Offroad event in Karjat either in June or august(mostly in August) in memory of Alfa Kilo Who's jeep i used at the alibag otr.

It Will be a no profit no loss non competitive event.

The Event will start at my farm house in karjat and will follow a pre planned route.

The route will consist of various terrain(hill climbs,mud,slush,rock crawling , water fording) and Alfa Kilo style will be very technical and challenging.

The route is very beautiful and scenic with no villages or towns close by.

I will start a new thread soon with more details.
Old 13th April 2010, 15:25   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....People randomly taking off in different directions and then more time being wasted getting back on track.

...Once again some members decided to screw the "rules" and took off on their own all over the place.

....speeding gypsy that cuts ACROSS the path of vehicles. This vehicle just missed my vehicle
Quote:
....its not a commercial event its purely for fun, so we would not like set a strict rules and guidelines..
If the pain factor while breaking a limb while having fun is lot lesser than while doing it seriously in a disciplined way - then above statement holds good.

Rules in sports are not for the sake of it - but for human safety.

Last edited by svsantosh : 13th April 2010 at 15:27.
Old 13th April 2010, 15:49   #105
BHPian

First of all
special thanks to Dr. Mohan and also to Mr. Dalvi for helping us organise this wonderful otr and for all the cooperation
also want to thank swaroop and prasad who are budding ofroaders developing under the guidance of Dr. mohan for all their help as well.
it was a beautiful experience,
i was a bit skeptical about taking the baleno powered gypsy to the event cause its supsension is very stiff and more of an on road car, but man did it perform, it did everythiong thrown at it, with superease thanks to all the power available at tap,
secondly it was a joy to see the cj in action gogi, i remebered telling you to just crawl over the obstacles at one point and when i sat with you for the slush part i told you to floor it with enough momentum. She performed brilliantly and u drove her beautifully. hope to see her around more often
Devang buddy we had a blast on our way back, my gypsy managed some mad speeds along the ghats.
was good to see such a major turnout
im posting a few pictures for now, will post lots more later once i get the time, i have scandalous pictures of the night by the way.
tejas, nice job with the tyres, now she is in the league

regards,
Allan
Attached Thumbnails
Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-z.jpg  

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-zz.jpg  

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-zzz.jpg  

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-zzzz.jpg  

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-zzzzz.jpg  

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-zzzzzz.jpg  

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-zzzzzzz.jpg  

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-zzzzzzzz.jpg