Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2010, 16:01   #106
Senior - BHPian

@Allan, yeah we had crazy drive on ghats, it was fun.
man look at sebtains pic, its killer.

Last edited by pdev29 : 13th April 2010 at 16:03.
Old 13th April 2010, 16:02   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Soumya, that was a fantastic racy visual narrative style.
It was a pleasure meeting you. Hope to see you more often during our OTRs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post

And record for ourselves the terrain we had crossed

Attachment 327467

Attachment 327468
That was one huge piece of slushy land. Atleast two football fields in size. Was good fun here. I was very happy with my tyres. They held well and helped in counter steering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR View Post
I am still struggling to find the words to share my first OTR experience!!
No need for thanks buddy. The best way to thank us is to upload the pics fast and participate in future OTRs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Tejas – for constantly goading and taunting me about the “new and minty freshness” of my Gypsy (#14). It isn’t so fresh anymore!
Good. Next time you do the slush runs as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladak.imran View Post

Tejas' Classic looking mean before wading into the water..
Attachment 327694
Attachment 327695
I was actually waiting for the engine to cool down before entering the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladak.imran View Post
Lol. Good one. This was essential since people were just zooming up before the car ahead made a turn and got out of the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
Didn't see GTO there in his classic.
He couldn't make it as he was out of town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post

I request people who drove the Thar on the track / people who saw it go around / people who photographed it post their comments in any way they think suitable.
Thank you for the opportunity to let us drive the thar!

Quote:

Geoff the Hilly Goat:
YouTube - Obstacle 3 trimmed
In this video there is a reason why my classic didn't climb in the first attempt. I was talking to behram before and he said the thar will do it in 3rd low. So i got cocky and tried the same thing! Ofcourse i got stuck and had to go back! Shifted then to 2nd low and made it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post

@ OTR Members. Great Pics & nice trail. Let there be more incidental writing explaining each trail. Feels like being there...
You should come with us next time. I see you're bombay based.

Quote:

From 9:30am onwards was a pointless wait. Just hanging around doing nothing while some of the overnight members "woke up" taking their own sweet time. Possibly the only negative aspect of the event. I had to wake up at 5:00am to be on time only to find people lounging around and some still asleep in their tents. I could have slept 2 more hours and still been on time for the day's start!

Guys - please be sensitive to the fact that these are group events and that you need to keep time! By being lazy or un-coordinated you are delaying people who take these things seriously. Had we started as planned at 9:00am I would have been back home at 4:00pm - 5:00pm instead of 8:00pm and that is a HUGE difference on a Sunday!
Come on GS, this is not boot camp. We were exhausted from the previous night. Yeah we got a tad bit delayed, but delays happen. During one night OTR, we were to leave lonavla at 5am in the morning but one gypsy got stuck and then another burnt it's clutch, etc and we landed up leaving at 1pm. Somethings are not in control. And bigger the group, the dynamics will change.

Quote:
Tejas/Mohan: next time we give 30 minutes grace time for late comers after which they just have to catch up on their own.
I don't think we ever said that we will not allow late comers.

Quote:
The lead car has to lead from the front and a tail car in the back to make sure nobody is left behind.
I agree to this that the lead car and tail car should make sure that all the cars reach the OTR trail.

Quote:
The side effect is that I only had one shot at each obstacle and no opportunity to explore going through with different gears. Everything was done in 4WD Low in 1st gear.
When there are many cars, everyone only gets one shot. It's normal.

Quote:
There was nobody at the beginning to give suggestions/instructions. Just complete chaos!
All you had to do was ask buddy. Even when i started, i used to eat allan's head off! Next OTR, i promise i will sit with you and guide you through each and every obstacle. No sarcasm here. I know how it feels the first time. Again, all you had to do was ask and all hands would have jumped in.

Quote:
If you look at my videos of the water fording section there is a speeding gypsy that cuts ACROSS the path of vehicles. This vehicle just missed my vehicle and a black Mahindra classic as we went across. This is downright dangerous because if I had stalled and stopped (newbie after all) he would have rammed right into me.
I agree it looks reckless. I know ibrahim since quite a while. Though he tackles every obstacle with reckless abandonment, he is not unsafe. That i can vouch for. He would not have banged into you even if you stalled.

Quote:
Mohan/Tejas - thanks for organizing this awesome event and it was fun to meet the others and put faces and names to their Tbhp handles.
Credit goes solely to Mohan.

Quote:
I'll keep an eye out for future events and I will be sure to join. Please accept these comments as constructive feedback to keep things in order at future events.
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdev29 View Post
Dude no offence meant,

but there are certain things which i want to say here.
Completely agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdev29 View Post
my stickers are still on but i think its gonna be out after one or two wash
hopefully you will get used to with Chaos and may start liking it too.
these are 10 rupees stickers ya... what do you expect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbochrgd View Post
Ooo and i have some photos but i need help uploading its.
And a thanks to James ( dont know his Handle name ) for being patient and waiting .
If you want, i'll upload them for you. Let me know. Or read the help section here.

James is whicked_wheels on the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocamp View Post
I am in the process of planning a Offroad event in Karjat either in June or august(mostly in August)
I'm in. Just make sure it does not clash with other events. There is the TPC and also a Kerala Monsoon Challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
A special thanks to Behrambhai, Tejas and Pinki Paaji for pushing me to undertake trails i would have never had the guts or confidence to tackle. Needless to say with their expert guidance and mostly a lot of help from my CJ, it was possible to make whatever i undertook, seem like a cake walk.
No need for thanks ya! However, if this is the norm, then Allan, Devang and Ibrahim thanks for all the help and guidance during my initial OTR days.

But seriously Gogi, we are like the army. Help your buddies and never leave a car behind; no matter what!
Old 13th April 2010, 16:10   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sir this picture was posted by Headers and not by me (assuming you are talking about the SPOA'd Gypsy with TN registration).
Ferrari,

Regret confusion. It's header's gypsy with arka's nissan truck besides.
Old 13th April 2010, 16:11   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

A special note of thanks to Dr. Mohan Ranawade; MD.

It's not easy doing this. We really appreciate the pains he took.

He and this support group, especially sachin were a great help. Everytime a group of cars came to the designated meeting point at the petrol pump, they would jump on their bikes and go guide them in. so many times and never did they once complain! Bravo.

Also, Mohan didn't enjoy most of the night because he knew he needed the sleep since he would have to get up early and organize the food, etc for the next day and again guide the morning guys to the shack.

Mohan, you still haven't told us how much you spend personally on other arrangements. You just took money for the tents and food. I insist on chipping in for the rest as well.

@allan, yep, i'm quite happy with the tyres and the performance has improved!

EDIT:

Also a note of thanks to soumya. For the pics and narration and enduring the rough ride in my classic!

Next OTR, why don't you also try drive her?

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 13th April 2010 at 16:15. Reason: see edit
Old 13th April 2010, 16:14   #110
Senior - BHPian

Was that Ibrahim's car? He he he no wonder. All I could see was a cloud of water and water vapor. I can usually spot his grin through all the slush, dirt and general mess. Yeah he is pretty wild but I usually just watch him and Mr.Monstar tackling obstacles before I do them myself. Easy to watch them and figure out what the Gypsy can and cannot do.
Old 13th April 2010, 16:21   #111
Senior - BHPian

Allan's Gypsy was simply stunning! I distinctly remember the riverbank where everyone (Allan included) were trying to power up the shelf. Allan just rolled the Gypsy back into the water and had a think for a few seconds before simply rolling his beast up and over almost on idling speeds! No wheelspin and no drama. I have this on video as well as his later attempts where he launched into the air at the same obstacle!

Superb machine and I now have a serious case of 1.6 lust going on! Imagine your Gypsy with a turbo for low-end thrust!
Old 13th April 2010, 16:26   #112
Senior - BHPian

cmon guys no one need to thank anyone, we are one team. i am happy to see such a big group, 3-4 years back it was just 3 or 4 of us, it was fun but not madness like this. its good that we all are getting into it and trust me every trip is getting more exciting than the previous one.

To all the guys who has a 4wd and planning to join for next OTR, trust me you can blindly rely on every individual in this group, i can vouch that your car will be out of any ditch at the end of the day, thats the spirit and people of this group.. cheers to all of us.
Old 13th April 2010, 16:37   #113
BHPian

@gsferrari, next time il let some one else drive my car,
tejas or myself will jump in with you,
but really you should just ask
it would be our pleasure you know.

also again i know the perfect way we can thank mohan,
we organise the otr and let him participate without any tension of logistics, food or any other tit bits,
its high time we relieve him of some of his tension and let him enjoy.
really doctor mohan, your the man
i remember you in my garage with your air compressor inflating your tyres all by yourself. and those were the days you just got into 4wheeling
you have turned into a pro
you just need those tyres we were talkin about
and yes it would be my pleasure doing up your nissan

seriosly guys next otr, mohan is not involved in any planning. and Dr dont take this in any bad way, just want you to have fun and challenge your machine
im sure if u never had all that tension you would have jumped into the pond with us.

soumya awesome pictures sir.

Also thanks to prasad from alibaugh, for helping me find a garage to replace my gearbox mounting
Old 13th April 2010, 16:43   #114
Senior - BHPian

This pic reminds me of a swimming pool scene! Sorry for repeating this pic.

Spike
Attached Thumbnails
Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-swimming-pool.jpg  

Old 13th April 2010, 16:57   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
But seriously Gogi, we are like the army. Help your buddies and never leave a car behind; no matter what!
Great words Tejas. BTW when is the Kerala Monsoon Challenge scheduled and who is organizing it?

Mods please excuse me for the back to back posts,please merge or delete if found inappropriate.

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 13th April 2010 at 17:05. Reason: Posted consecutively by mistake
Old 13th April 2010, 17:22   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
Since there has been another demanding audience gathered in breathless anticipation to see a certain species of fleet footed goat,
we are going to fast forward straight from the felicitation ceremony to the hill climb.
Rewinding back:

After a handing over a small token of thanks to Mr Dalvi, we got down to business.

Devangs eyes lit up with glee

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-devang_glee.jpg

Looking at the marvelous landscape

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-hills.jpg

While the father of the mountain goat, clambered up the hill

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-lookout.jpg

To survey the terrain, which consisted of a shallow pit,

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-bottom_pit.jpg

Followed by a run up a slope packed with loose earth

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-img_9184.jpg

Some did it in style

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-jeep_thrills.jpg

Some did it in two tries because they were too cocky

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-tejas_slide.jpg

And the crawling sikh suddenly transformed into a flying sikh

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-flying_sikh.jpg

While this was in progress, the kids in the audience started screaming excitedly, which turned out to be Ibrahim as usual turning his gypsy into a three wheeler

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-helping_hand.jpg

And knocking over some rocks

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-billy_goat.jpg

So that other people could have a go

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-allan_style.jpg

Dr Mohan could not resist

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-mohan_style.jpg

As Gogi's mechanic protected his creation from any harm

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-razzak_head.jpg

Some people realized it was more fun doing it another way

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-tejas_planb.jpg

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-prashant_leap.jpg

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-gs_leap.jpg

Before Prithpal got bored and started climbing up a hill

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-prithpal_slope.jpg
Old 13th April 2010, 17:28   #117
Senior - BHPian

Dr. Mohan,
Why are you not removing your front crash guard? You will damage it eventually.
Old 13th April 2010, 17:41   #118
Senior - BHPian

@Genesis - superb photography sir! I never knew I got that much air. You caught me lifting the front end at the river bank and now here I go again! Too much power. I should try these obstacles in 2nd Low next time.

Doc - can we go again?
Old 13th April 2010, 17:47   #119
BHPian

@ tejas - thanks . you can upload the pics.(though navy man (pun) has already taken the liberty of uploading some. i dont want to delay the uploading , so i shall read up while u upload . thanks again
Old 13th April 2010, 18:44   #120

well finally got me a password ,i have worked in rural africa where nothing except 4x4 vehicles can go for 12 years, i have seen a lot of them different shape and sizes ( not well versed with tech details) , that's where my love
with 4x4 began, i am writing this post cause in my little experience that i have (though many might differ) i find this hurricane just mind blowing in the way it move , it goes about in a way as if its daily road to work , where as the others , thar , gypsy, gorkha give you a impression that they are offroading, and it driven by a newbie, hail hurricane i love you, i am posting some vids to show what i mean
thar hurricane
gypsy
gorkha
i

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks