Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2010, 19:01   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Quick report:

Finally have time to write about my experience at the OTR event and the various obstacles. Not all of this is positive feedback...I hope the organizers can take this constructively.
The lead car has to lead from the front and a tail car in the back to make sure nobody is left behind. Another mess just negotiating the short distance to the venue.
Well actually,there was a complaint made at the local police station,from some obscure "environmentalist group" regarding our OTR,especially about the water crossing. If you recollect, Mandar(a friend of mine) and me were busy convincing the Police that we were not in any way trampling over trees or engaging in any destructive activities. We rang up the DFO(District Forest Officer)whose prior permission we had got for the event.Being convinced the Police left apologizing. Hence my attention had deviated. Yes there was chaos and I did not like it myself.
In fact I wanted to take you guys to another more exciting water fording area a km away but looking at the general atmosphere I refrained.

Well GS, organizing an OTR is not my profession,I had not organised any event,I had just invited all my friends for a bash where each one is free to help,manage,enjoy.I did it because when I was a beginner(still haven't learnt much though),guys like Rahul,Allan,Dev,Ibrahim and James showed me the way.I realised that I can just repay that by being an accessory to an event. In fact wherever you feel anything missing,please point out,we are all a family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdev29 View Post
Dude no offence meant,

but there are certain thing

Mohan your efforts are much appreciated.
Thanks bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbochrgd View Post
hi guys most of you dont know me and i hope
thought i did not interact with all of them (not that i didn't want to) i am really looking forward for the next OTR ( i hope this post will help me interact with all of you then , if it does not , please help me out ) or for that matter any other meet too.
Sure Varnil, I would be more than happy to meet you once again the next OTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme power View Post
First of all
special thanks to Dr. Mohan and also to Mr. Dalvi for helping us organise this wonderful otr and for all the cooperation
also want to thank swaroop and prasad who are budding ofroaders .
Allan,it was a pleasure seeing all our cars performing excellently,would do it any day any place....

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme power View Post
also again i know the perfect way we can thank mohan,
we organise the otr and let him participate without any tension of logistics, food or any other tit bits,
its high time we relieve him of some of his tension and let him enjoy.
really doctor mohan, your the man
i remember you in my garage with your air compressor inflating your tyres all by yourself. and those were the days you just got into 4wheeling
you have turned into a pro
you just need those tyres we were talkin about
and yes it would be my pleasure doing up your nissan

soumya awesome pictures sir.

Also thanks to prasad from alibaugh, for helping me find a garage to replace my gearbox mounting
I am getting my Nissan to your garage this week, new carb has been sourced.As far as being a PRO,man I am just too lucky all the time..

Another brand new Gurkha belonged to Mandar.
It was his first Offroading sojourn,his first day with the Gurkha,as Soumya pointed out..with the mala..still intact.This guy performed very well.At no place did he get stuck,did all climbs,ruts and slush without failing once....
Guess that was all beginners luck...

Soumya,I can only say one thing" Man you have talents,have a quick sense of humour and have a knack for writing". When Allan had left for the church and also have his car washed...remember what you said " Allan has gone to wash his sins and his car", Man that needs ingenuity

@vinod: The Gurkha has banged many times in ruts, steep descends and the guard has taken all the brunt.

Last edited by mohan : 13th April 2010 at 19:03. Reason: TYPO
Old 13th April 2010, 19:10   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
Before Prithpal got bored and started climbing up a hill
Soon there was a cluster of vehicles who had edged in before gsferrari
All ready to climb!

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-slope_line.jpg

First Mohan's Gurkha

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-hill_gurkha.jpg

Then Tejas

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-hill_classic.jpg

Then The 'Mala Wala' Gurkha (Amazing dedication to bring a NEW vehicle)

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-hill_gurkha2.jpg

Then Prasad's classic which never stops running (for different reasons altogether)

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-hill_black_classic.jpg

and FINALLY Gs Ferrari was rewarded for his patience

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-hill_gs.jpg

And then the bhangra brigade did a balle balle

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-hill_gogi.jpg

With the Shishya listening to a wise old Guru

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-hill_singhs.jpg

Followed by the thar hijinks (please dont ask for any more pics )

But the piece de resistance was the quiet HVK displaying how the skills he learnt in Ladakh made up for the drive in the other two wheels

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-hill_scorpio.jpg

After which a quick conference was held

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-stream_meeting.jpg

To head to the next course a rocky and dry stream bed...

Last edited by genesis : 13th April 2010 at 19:29.
Old 13th April 2010, 19:49   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
This pic reminds me of a swimming pool scene! Sorry for repeating this pic.
Spike
Chee...Kuli Scene.

Old 13th April 2010, 22:23   #124
BHPian

Quote:

Then Prasad's classic which never stops running (for different reasons altogether)

Attachment 328563
I am still struggling to find the superlatives to share my first OTR experience but I’m just gonna have a crack at it anyways..

The entire experience has Jump-started (Pun intended) a new liking for off-roading and 4x4’s as a whole, and as expected – I’m hooked to OTR’s and met some greats enthusiasts over the memorable weekend that we’ll never forget!! I will also keep a track of the number of jump-starts (JS) the classic needed during this report.

I had borrowed a relatives Mahindra Classic (Black) for this event - completely unsure of what to expect at the event, bearing in mind that the owner had recently painted it and got a few minor defects sorted.. He had warnmed about a couple of issues – “Hafte me ek bar chalti hai..headlight be kaam nahi kar raha hai..alibag tak pahunchega kya malum nahi..Sambhal lega kya??” – since I had already confirmed with the wife and more importantly you guys (Not to mention my enthusiasm), I said I’ll fix it all!! And took the vehicle from him at 1400 hrs on Saturday – She started in half crank and I drove her for the first time from Vile-Parle to Chembur with no issues whatsoever – Even the heat could not wipe the grin off our faces, even though we had sweat dripping down our faces – But loved the attention we got from everyone!!

Got home and took a quick shower and had a little lunch, packed our bags and came down to load the Jeep – Since it was parked in the sun, I decided to move her into the shade – To my horror – It would not start.. (It did crank though)… I got a couple of guys to push it and jump started (JS # 1) it and everything was fine.. We proceeded towards meeting Soumya at Diamond garden (Chembur) and stopped on the way to pick-up some smokes..I was struggling to find neutral and ended up stalling it again!! Called Tejas and Soumya on their ETA and location since I didn’t want to make this jump-starting business a habit.. (Which I did anyways…Really sorry boys) Jump started again (JS # 2) and met Soumya at the gas station for fuel..did not turn the vehicle off and proceeded towards Palm beach road – Never turned the car off or stalled it again – But the delay at the meeting point made me turn it off anyways.. (As I knew I’d have some help when the cavalry arrives and the issue would be sorted

It was a pleasure meeting Paras, Tejas, Allan, Alok and James for the first time and they were quickly with the initial do’s and don’t’s.. Thanks guys.. (since I had no clue about the workings of a Mahindra classic!!) It was dark when we left (JS # 3) and my main headlights were out!!

Thanks to Tejas’s spotter light at the back – I was able to see the road and only the road!! Alok and Allan made sure that the entire area was lit up and aware of our convoy – thanks to the overdose of lights, engine growls and the sirens!! Even with all these little issues, the smiles on our face were only getting bigger!!

One more halt to regroup and one more jump start later (JS # 4) - We finally managed to get to Alibag!!

We were greeted by Mohan and his convoy and the excitement was really building up – We gorged on some fiery Chicken malvani and bhakris – simple but wholesome dinner.. I was hoping that someone would help me fix the starter issue and an even bigger issue of the lack of headlights on the Classic at this point..

To be continued..
Attached Thumbnails
Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-dsc05570.jpg  

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-dsc05582.jpg  

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-dsc05591.jpg  

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-dsc05593.jpg  

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-dsc05597.jpg  

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-dsc05603.jpg  

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-dsc05608.jpg  

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-dsc05631.jpg  

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-dsc05632.jpg  

Last edited by R32_GTR : 13th April 2010 at 22:29. Reason: "Trying" to add captions to the images!
Old 13th April 2010, 23:06   #125
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics...

Looks like you guys had a good time

Tejas - those look like Yokohama Geolander M/Ts to me that you have on your Classic, correct me if I am wrong. Also, they look like 255s to me.

Last edited by cool_dube : 13th April 2010 at 23:08.
Old 14th April 2010, 02:17   #126
BHPian

Cool_dube, those are Maxxis Trepadors that Tejas has on his classic.. They perform very well, especially in slush..
Old 14th April 2010, 09:38   #127
BHPian

Sorry guys was out with work yesterday and day before so couldnt get time to resize and post my set of pictures. will do it in sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdev29
regarding intrusctions and help, i dont think anyone in this group will say "No" for anything, its just did you ask for it???
I don’t like to get into the technical part of the vehicle, driving pleasure is all that matters to me. I got interested in buying a 4X4 offroader after browsing through previous adventures of the Mumbai & Pune group on TBHP.

Swarsi was my first OTR with my Pajero. I didn’t knew the difference between 4H and 4L then, at the first obstacle James who was waiting for his turn with his Jeep behind me heard me asking David, stupid questions about the Gear and speed. James just hopped into my vehicle and guided me with things. I couldn’t make it in the first go but still he was very patient and continued to explain me things till I made it successfully. I felt a bit embarrassed with the little knowledge I had but later experienced that it really doesn’t matter with experts around. Neville, Allan, Rahul, Dr. Mohan were very helpful in explaining me things.

Alibaug was my 2nd OTR with this group. 45 mins after we met everyone and had the introduction round, my Pajero was stuck badly in a ditch. My wife was too scared with the situation as we were stuck badly far away with no other vehicle in sight that too at 1:30AM at night. I just called David from my cell phone and in another 10mins we found so many strangers (now dear friends) struggling hard to get us out. Initially I had my apprehensions of getting myself dirty in the slush but then I was surprised the way Devang, James and Ibrahim jumped into the pit without any hesitations. Frankly due to lack of expertise I was just a spectator while Tejus, Allan, Prasad, Kunal, and others took their turns to tow my Pajero out while Amit, Rahul, Alok, and others were busy giving their inputs. While I was getting worried Dr. Mohan assured me that he would get a Tractor if everything else fails.

The second most amazing moment for me during the OTR was when Behram sir offered to help me on his own to drive my Pajero at an obstacle where I had failed twice.

This was just my second outing with this gang and I feel I know each one of them since ages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR
I was feeling a little embarrassed to ask for a push again and again though - but my excitement made me shameless after a while
Same thing happned with me Prasad during my first OTR, I was feeling embarrassed to ask things but this time i was shameless afterall everything is ok between frineds.
Old 14th April 2010, 09:50   #128
Senior - BHPian

Ok I'm going to be shameless from now on.

Prashant - did BD manage to clear that obstacle when he took over? What were you doing wrong and which obstacle was this? Please share details.
Old 14th April 2010, 10:33   #129
BHPian

Quote:
To head to the next course a rocky and dry stream bed...
The descent was not much of a challenge for the gurkha

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-stream_gurkha.jpg

Or for the others

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-stream_alok.jpg

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-stream_gogi.jpg

But the ascent to the other side was taking some time, causing a minor traffic jam in peak daylight

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-stream_jam.jpg

Causing me to seek shade under a mango tree

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-shade_tree.jpg

Where I met Behram and was looking at the finer details of the thar.
Which led to an unexpected invite to hop, skip and jump onto the OTHER side of the stream bed, without breaking a sweat.

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-thar_wheel.jpg

We then headed back to where we started, and came across Ibrahim having a mud bath

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-ibrahim_tow.jpg

As the spa attendants gave him their maximum attention

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-ibrahim_gs.jpg

It was time for me to leave as prior commitments beckoned and so we bid adieu.
But not before rearranging and redistributing the items that my vehicle had somehow gathered.

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-innova_bye.jpg

Which at last count included
A few cases of water
1 ice box
1 tent
3 sleeping bags
2 laptop bags
2 jeep doors
1 hookah
1 Paras
1 Keyur

And

1 boat

So ladies and gentlemen, therein ends my account and now Tejas will continue and tell you what happened next...!
Old 14th April 2010, 10:37   #130
BHPian

@gsferrari: BD cleared the obstacle with such a ease that my wife started to give me expert comments that it was so easy so how come you couldnt manage to.........

I couldnt manage to do it in 1L he did it in 2L

It reminded me of a quote I had read somewhere "its not the machine, its the man behinde the machine"

There was a small fall with a few boulders and then the climb. As I was trying to be carefull with the boulders I was loosing momentum.

You dont have to be shameless next time. Since you have shared your feedback and concerns, I can vouch that next time you will have tough time managing people hopping into your Gypsy to help you.
Old 14th April 2010, 10:51   #131
BHPian

some random videos

We were too busy trying out the Classic's capabilities and most importantly - Snigdha was holding on for dear life while I was trying stuff.. Here are some random videos from the weekend..

I have a new found respect for the go anywhere attitude of the Classic - at this point, Snigdha was expecting our tyres to burst!!

I Enjoyed this climb the most.

My first decline The classic bending its numberplate - I know, I know..I was warned of this earlier.. Next time the number plate issue will be rectified..

This ones for you Gogi!!

Prashant and his Pajero

This one is for you RENUKA (driving with Amit) - I did it!! I did it!!

Water babies!!

Trying Ibrahim - Gotta love his determination and spirit!!

I decided to follow Ibrahim (tried to go up from where he's coming down) - BIG MISTAKE!! I wedged the classic's rear footboard on the way up and was stuck at a 45 degree angle - Made another mistake of getting out of the vehicle while leaving it in neutral..I got out fine..While I was trying to get Snigdha out - The vehicle freed itself and rolled back - almost rolling over our feet - Scarryyy moment, but got a good stern tip from Kunal - "Looks like you don't want to be saved" - Followed by (JS#9)

Old 14th April 2010, 11:02   #132
BHPian

Quote:

But the ascent to the other side was taking some time, causing a minor traffic jam in peak daylight

Attachment 328978
This ascent was the most challenging for me -
It was approximately 40 degrees incline requiring the driver to turn towards the right on the way up (all this with not enough room to gather momentum).

I was seeing quite a few vehicles loosing their rear bumpers here (the boulders were eventually removed)

I had Tejas, Gogi, Pinky and Mr. BD encouraging me to try it. I might have let atleast 10 vehicle pass before I gathered the courage to try it.
I did in one go though

Anybody got videos or pictures of me trying this??
Old 14th April 2010, 11:08   #133
BHPian

Pictures from My Cam 01
Attached Thumbnails
Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-20100410_p4100518.jpg  

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-20100410_p4100520.jpg  

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-20100410_p4100521.jpg  

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-20100411_p4110530.jpg  

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-20100411_p4110531.jpg  

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-20100411_p4110540.jpg  

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-20100411_p4110541.jpg  

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-20100411_p4110548.jpg  

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-20100411_p4110551.jpg  

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-20100411_p4110552.jpg  

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-20100411_p4110560.jpg  

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-20100411_p4110561.jpg  

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-20100411_p4110562.jpg  

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-20100411_p4110563.jpg  

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-20100411_p4110566.jpg  

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-20100411_p4110575.jpg  

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-20100411_p4110590.jpg  

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-20100411_p4110591.jpg  

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-20100411_p4110593.jpg  

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-20100411_p4110594.jpg  

Old 14th April 2010, 11:25   #134
Senior - BHPian

guys we sholud have more pics of night. where are those??

i am awaiting few pics from Chirag.
Old 14th April 2010, 11:55   #135
BHPian

Pictures from My Cam 02
Attached Thumbnails
Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-20100411_p4110598.jpg  

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-20100411_p4110599.jpg  

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-20100411_p4110600.jpg  

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-20100411_p4110601.jpg  

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-20100411_p4110615.jpg  

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-20100411_p4110617.jpg  

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-20100411_p4110618.jpg