Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2010, 16:17   #151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Doc Mohan and the Maha Off-Roaders,

It was a superbly organized event, and as it grows more people will take up the responsibility and
Arka
Hi Arka,anytime you are coming Bombay side let me know,will meet you in person.

Most of the pics I have are already on TBHP. This one has not been posted i guess.
Attached Thumbnails
Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-tbhp-2.jpg  

Last edited by mohan : 14th April 2010 at 16:23. Reason: typos
Old 14th April 2010, 16:30   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan View Post
This one has not been posted i guess.

ahhhh... MY UNICORN!!

Thank you Dr. Mohan - Any more colorful pictures that were taken at this point??

And thank you Tejas - For the ballast / pulling me out and the motivation to give it another try.. I did manage to cross it on the second run though.
Old 14th April 2010, 16:39   #153
Senior - BHPian

R32's attempt at the slushy pit which trapped Ibrahim good and proper. I don't have a video of how he got out. Anybody remember?

The next video is of Teju climbing up the hill in his Red Classic. No white tee this time!

Imran busting his rear bumber just like I did. How bad is the damage Mr.Ladak?

HV Kumar using brute force to force the hillock into submission!

More coming up...

Devang with the MonstAAAR!

R32 climbing the same hillock

Gogi will NOT be left behind. I love the ease with which this featherweight jeep tackles these obstacles. Walk in the park!!

Another angle:

Obstacle? What Obstacle??

Last edited by gsferrari : 14th April 2010 at 16:54. Reason: added more videos
Old 14th April 2010, 16:42   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Most of the pics I have are already on TBHP. This one has not been posted i guess.
@Mohan: What a nice picture. Satyajit Ray meets XXX. A "Classic" shot.

Tell me: Is the jeep stuck because of Tejas or is he trying to help?
Old 14th April 2010, 17:06   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Mapping your offroad points - Descending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdev29 View Post
black classic was prasad, again it was his first time so may be one or two more OTRs and he should learn engine braking
Its more UN-LEARNING and less Learning :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR View Post

Can someone please elaborate on "ENGINE BRAKING"?

I am assuming that it is not the same as using lower gears to reduce speed (Inreasing engine speed/RPMs). My classic does not engage first gear while in motion.
Quote:
You're referring to this video right?

YouTube - MOV05646.MPG

Yikes!! That was me..

It was my first OTR and Amit (In the green T-shirt) was guiding me as I was not sure on how to tackle it..

Can someone please elaborate on how such descends should be handled -
When you descend, these are the steps you take (learnt over an earful received from Arka over 5 years ago during a hot afternoon jaunt).

Step 1: Climb out of vehicle and inspect the descent.

Step 2: After surveying the surroundings, mark where your right front wheel and left front wheel will touch the ground before it loses contact with level ground and begins decent.

Step 3: Thereafter, decide your steering input (going left/right) through the descent.

Step 4: Map the entire thing in your mind. Visualising helps since you are just beginning to learn the ropes.

Step 5: Make SURE there is one person who is standing in front of your jeep over the points mentioned in STEP 2 and guides you straight to them.

Step 6: Climb into Jeep. Yes, until now, you were outside.

Step 7: Start Jeep. Engage relevant gear (if decsending it is ALWAYS 1st gear and Low Ratio).

Step 8: Take legs OFF clutch, Brake, and Accelerator. Keep legs planted on the floor board at all times and start moving. The Jeep will begin crawling with zero accelerator input. Try it on level ground in your parking space to be sure of yourself.

Step 9: As vehicle begins descending, you will feel the Jeep crawling even slower than on regular flat ground. THAT is engine braking. Place legs on Brakes to slow the crawl even more. You will see that even if you stand on the brakes, the engine will not shut off (mostly). So dont worry about this.

- IF it shuts down, start the Jeep again IN GEAR and DO NOT press clutch. Let the Jeep lurch ahead in gear.

STep 10: keep your eyes on the guide in front (make sure its only one trusted guide) and follow him to the end. Leave the obstacle area by a good 20 feet circumference to allow the next person to do it with minimum disturbance. Switch off engine and kiss your jeep.

Old 14th April 2010, 18:18   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
@ gogi B-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l cj3b ,and it walked the walk too. Thumbs UP!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Gogi your Jeep looks awesome. I think I really need to hop in as a passenger in the next one
Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Gogi's jeep looks super hot - nice color too.
Thanks Guys for the appreciation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
BTW - are your stickers still on or have they come off?
Mine are on.I asked the guy washing the Jeep to eb careful not to remove the stickers

Quote:
I'm gonna give a count of my jump starts in my detailed experience report this evening to prove this
If i tell you the number of times ive lent a hand pushing your Classic, ill need 10 pages.

Thanks for the videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme power View Post
secondly it was a joy to see the cj in action gogi, i remebered telling you to just crawl over the obstacles at one point and when i sat with you for the slush part i told you to floor it with enough momentum. She performed brilliantly and u drove her beautifully. hope to see her around more often
Thanks for guiding me through the essentials Allan. Since i am a newbie, i would be needing all the advice and tips i can get and im a good listener and a fast learner.

Remember your tips crystal clear bud and crawl up it did to my utter amazement and what i thought was against the law of physics. The Hurricane has truckloads of Torque. Ive made a mention of your tips to me in my earlier post , have quoted it below in case you missed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16
.....Allen passes me and says "2nd low, and crawl up dont rush and dont leave the throttle" gives me the thums up sign and zooms up what seemed to be an almost vertical bank. i did what i was told like an obedient student and at the risk of making myself look like an idiot if i couldn't do this, attempted the wet climb. I must tell you, the NDMS tyres are made for this. Crawl is what i did and i reached up as if it were a flat ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
- IF it shuts down, start the Jeep again IN GEAR and DO NOT press clutch. Let the Jeep lurch ahead in gear.
Great tip. Ill remember this one for sure. Thanks Red Liner.

Quote:
Switch off engine and kiss your jeep.

@ GSFerrari- thanks for the videos man. I have no pics or videos of my own so i am gonna have to depend on all you guys who have taken some pics/videos of my CJ in action to post them here please. I loved the gurgle of your Gypsy.

Thanks Soumya for all your writing and tongue in cheek humour.

Once again thanks to Dr. Mohan and his friends for making this very special event in my life possible. Im glad i was there and im in for any future OTRs.
Old 14th April 2010, 23:30   #157
BHPian

Hey Guys, were there any addtional costs involved. if so please let us know so we could split it.
Old 15th April 2010, 08:16   #158
Senior - BHPian

Wow looks like you guys had super fun !Good show and really good photos. Loved them all.
And Allan your gypsy looks mean.
Dominated by gypsy's I guess.
Old 15th April 2010, 08:42   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
Wow looks like you guys had super fun !Good show and really good photos. Loved them all.
And Allan your gypsy looks mean.
Dominated by gypsy's I guess.
Actually there were plenty of Mahindras as well.

By my count:

3 x MM550s
2 x Classics
1 x CJ3B
1 x Thar

Total 7 Mahindra vehicles

1 x Pajero
2 x Gurkha
6 x Gypsy

Total 6 Gypsy vehicles

Or do I have the numbers wrong?
Old 15th April 2010, 09:10   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids4x4mm550 View Post
Hey Guys, were there any addtional costs involved. if so please let us know so we could split it.
@Tejus: Please let us know the printing cost for the stickers. Also where did you get the OTR Tshirt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16
@ GSFerrari- thanks for the videos man. I have no pics or videos of my own so i am gonna have to depend on all you guys who have taken some pics/videos of my CJ in action to post them here please.
Gogibhai, your CJ was the start attraction, so all of us have clicked good number of pics. Yesterday while I was sharing the pics with my local friends they were only interested in knowing details of your JEEP and Allans Gypsy.

Last edited by Cloud_Chaser : 15th April 2010 at 09:15. Reason: Additional Comments
Old 15th April 2010, 09:34   #161
BHPian

The Dominance of the gypsy is a myth!

It especially hates getting it's feet wet and get's all spluttery afterwards

But seriously guy's in this age of modern 4x4 vehicles , the old fashioned mahindra jeep definately has it's place , just like the old fashioned Hand winch , there is strength in simplicity!

Give me live rigid axles over IFS anyday!

What Say?
Old 15th April 2010, 10:22   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
The next video is of Teju climbing up the hill in his Red Classic. No white tee this time!
YouTube - Untitled
Behram was driving my Jeep in that video and he was wearing a white shirt. Please see the videos you post. He certified my Jeep fit.

BTW, even my parents don't call me Teju. I had a gay friend once who called me that... so if that's the case, i guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud_Chaser View Post
@Tejus: Please let us know the printing cost for the stickers. Also where did you get the OTR Tshirt?
The stickers were 15 bucks for pair ya. What i'll take for that? It's on the house!

That T-shirt and the black jeep one i bought online from cafepress.com.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 15th April 2010 at 10:23. Reason: typo
Old 15th April 2010, 10:25   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
BTW, even my parents don't call me Teju. I had a gay friend once who called me that... so if that's the case, i guess...

Tejas is it then!
Old 15th April 2010, 10:33   #164
BHPian

Bravo!

Quote:
Well GS, organizing an OTR is not my profession,I had not organised any event,I had just invited all my friends for a bash where each one is free to help,manage,enjoy.I did it because when I was a beginner(still haven't learnt much though),guys like Rahul,Allan,Dev,Ibrahim and James showed me the way.I realised that I can just repay that by being an accessory to an event. In fact wherever you feel anything missing,please point out,we are all a family.
So I stumbled upon some pics which shows what Mohan did to not organise the event. Rahul I am using them since you posted them elsewhere (and I cant cross link).

This is how their Saturday was spent. And he did not breathe a word about this to anyone.

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-mohanjcb1.jpg

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-mohanjcb2.jpg

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-mohanjcb3.jpg

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-mohanjcb6.jpg

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-mohanjcb5.jpg

Would also like to thank Rahul who did the same on Sat after flying down from Delhi

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-rhandle.jpg

as well as the stoic and ever dependable Sachin

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-mohanjcb7.jpg

and Mr Dalvi who allowed the use of his land

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-felicitation.jpg

and of course 'Alibag' Prasad (the enthu guy on the bike) and his friends
(Mohan please send him a link to this thread)

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-fringe_element.jpg

I am just awed and humbled.

Bravo!
Old 15th April 2010, 10:36   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

I came across this link from Rahul's FB page.

Thought everyone who participated needs to see the backend preparation that went on.

Sorry mohan and rahul, i'm posting without your permission but i guess people need to know before they shoot their mouths off in criticism.

Copy pasting from here: Alibagh OTR - Organised by ROCK - 4wd4all

Alibagh OTR - Organised by ROCK
I am sitting in my office doing my work, when I receive a phone call. It's Dr. Mohan.

Call went on like this:
What are you doing?
Nothing Mohan, why?
Are you free this weekend?
Yes, what happened?
Am organizing Mumbai, Pune, Alibagh OTR, come down?
What, today is Thursday and you are calling me tomorrow?
Just shut-up and come tomorrow, I would be needing you.
Ok sir I would be there.
Immediately booked the tickets from Delhi to Mumbai for Friday night. Spent the night at my friends house in Mumbai and early morning 7 am Sachin was at Borivili, the place where I was staying.

Reached Alibagh at 10 AM, Mohan calls me directly to the place where we are suppose to be working - I never knew we would finish by 8 PM

I reached there and saw the first obstacle has already been prepared:

Second obstacle was a natural one and would test everything a vehicle has:

Gurkha was there to test all the obstacles before the participants tried it, so that we were sure everything was do-able!

There was a JCB earth mover, lots of empty place along with Mohan and other ROCK members to play around as we wished, but time was less.

We decided to make a pit to test articulation, but then got less stones and they were not uniform, anyway we decided to have it and started the measurements:

Mohan checking if this would be right:

well since we have started already, so thought lets just do it whether its okay or not we will see later

Till late in evening we were still struggling as the rocks there were very hard to break but nevertheless it was a good effort.

Before this we had also created a place for slush:

Mohan did not wanted it to be too deep or slushy, just in case it lets no body to cross it:

Now came the hard part to fill it with water from a nearby pond. A motor was rented to do that stuff, and it made us run more than the OTR day would have. It used to conk off every now and then:

A brand new Gurkha, purchased a day earlier was also there to help us try out the obstacles. Though it looked more like Gamma and even door handles were of Gamma.

Our biggest help - Sachin in center directing the people

Tired Gurkha, Mohan and JCB early evening, was a testimony to the fact that preparing OTR trails can be very taxing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks