Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2010, 13:04   #46
Senior - BHPian

Cmon guys start posting and narrating. This is one of the best threads around so lets make it even better. Everyone out with their share of the pics and reports please.
And BTW who carried that inflatable?
Old 5th May 2010, 13:15   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

King- you look like the modern reincarnation of Buddha- attaining salvation under a waterfall !
Old 5th May 2010, 14:18   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Cmon guys start posting and narrating. This is one of the best threads around so lets make it even better. Everyone out with their share of the pics and reports please.
And BTW who carried that inflatable?
Mukunda aka johnny bravo carried the inflatable. He is go-outer with all gears, including petrol stove which fed us with breakfast.
Old 5th May 2010, 15:32   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
...with all gears, including petrol stove which fed us with breakfast.
That looks like a butane stove. If its a petrol stove then what is that red can lying sideways for?
Old 5th May 2010, 16:44   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
King- you look like the modern reincarnation of Buddha- attaining salvation under a waterfall !
Boss, the heat was sooooooooo much that this was really like 'nirvana'. Couldn't let the opportunity go by

Quote:
That looks like a butane stove. If its a petrol stove then what is that red can lying sideways for?
It is a petrol stove. We know because we filled petrol in that thing.. That red cylinder is for petrol. This stove comes in parts and has to be assembled at the camp site and then dismantled again after usage. It was a TRUE life saver for b-fast & snacks later in the day
Old 5th May 2010, 16:56   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Boss, the heat was sooooooooo much that this was really like 'nirvana'. Couldn't let the opportunity go by

It is a petrol stove. We know because we filled petrol in that thing.. That red cylinder is for petrol. This stove comes in parts and has to be assembled at the camp site and then dismantled again after usage. It was a TRUE life saver for b-fast & snacks later in the day
It was a petrol can filled with petrol lying sideways very near to the fire, lol Khan, it was indeed a life saver. haha.

On a more serious note you have any idea as to how it did work? Some sort of a regulator to regulate fuel flow? Or was it a kerosene stove made to run on petrol for want of kerosene?
Old 5th May 2010, 17:05   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It was a petrol can filled with petrol lying sideways very near to the fire, lol Khan, it was indeed a life saver. haha.

On a more serious note you have any idea as to how it did work? Some sort of a regulator to regulate fuel flow? Or was it a kerosene stove made to run on petrol for want of kerosene?
It has a regulator and it is petrol stove only. Mukund filled petrol from my spare can twice , each time one litre.

As a matter of fact, I had borrowed the stove from Mukund for my ladakh ride and it saved us from starvation in no mans' land more than once.
Old 5th May 2010, 17:22   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Which red petrol can? That is part of the stove boss and HAS TO BE KEPT sideways only. I can understand your predicament as I also went though the same when I saw parts of the stove.

As dwarak mentiones above, there is a full fledged regulator to control fuel. Boss, this was no jugaad stove converted into petrol for want of kerosene.

Do check out the picture of this stove here:

http://www.campist.com/archives/msr-...lite-stove.jpg
Old 5th May 2010, 17:24   #54

@ wanderernomad,

The stove is called an MSR (Mountain Survivability Research)

details here : MSR® WhisperLite Internationale™ multi-fuel stove

The can is protected from the flame by a metal sheet. The red can itself is of very high quality and I hear that a bullet from a rifle will not be able to penetrate it. In case you still think it is not a life saver, well, you are welcome to your opinion. Request you to ask this question to the manufacturers who designed it thus for use on the alps and himalayas where it is used pretty much the way we did

cheers
Old 5th May 2010, 17:29   #55
BHPian

Could you all please stop arguing about a stupid stove and carry on posting the nice pictures please.I love to feel jealous
Old 5th May 2010, 17:33   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
Could you all please stop arguing about a stupid stove and carry on posting the nice pictures please.I love to feel jealous
A +100 to each and every letter in the above post!

Go one guys - photos, experience, masala, etc ...
Old 5th May 2010, 18:45   #57
Team-BHP Support

Petrol stove- Mukund baba is very protective about this, he wouldn't even let it out on day 1 night coz he didn't want it to be used on the sand So be careful what you guys blurt out. It has a regulator and a pump iirc and is absolutely safe, and best part it can run on multiple fuel combo.
Old 5th May 2010, 19:41   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
and best part it can run on multiple fuel combo.
How about diesel?
Where are the Mods?? All are going
Let the report get completed first and this stove bussiness we can have in seperate thread ''All you need for camping''
Old 5th May 2010, 19:51   #59

Jaggu Baba, The problem is that this stove has such small orifices for the flames and petrol that they tend to get blocked by the fine sand that we were camped out at. Thus I brought a second one knowing how precious it is to have one not working out in the boondocks. The second time by the stream, I needed to pull the secondary out as the pores on the first had gotten blocked as I expected the sand to do

Some very nice pictures you all got out there. Me, yet to switch on my camera after the 1 second dunk it took in the river when i was trying to clamber on to a rock in the middle of the river from the boat.

Coming back to the topic of the trip, Everyone who was there contributed to the swell time we had. Giri and Mac, Dwarak, Prithvi, Deepti, ShahKhan, Jaggu, Siddu, Sreeraj, Chetan, Shakir, Mark and gang along with Venky and Zia all were basically fun loving people. The amazing thing for me was despite so many delays and stopovers and the breakdowns and the endless waits and the heavy heat and the humidity by the river which kept us sweating even at 11PM, there was hardly anyone who ever got angry or lost his/her cool. In fact, everyone was always busy joking and poking fun at something or the other. This only goes to show that all these people were very good outdoors folks with lots of experience doing such trips with one another. Thru so much difficulties that nature imposed on us poor city folks used to ACs, we still had tons and tons of fun. That was great. There never never ever was one dull moment. Thanks are due from everyone to Prithvi for making the list and getting everyone to bring in things. He along with Deepti got the entire barbecue thing going and kept it going at the campsite. I still remember how he was sweating and still keeping at it. Thanks to Chetan for being a model young man with so many older people. That night at the campsite and the next afternoon by the stream, he did most of the work in the camp site. Some of us were tired when we reached the destination and were busy ordering other around. Chetan was the man who rose to the occasion . Whether it was bringing in refreshment for someone or getting a snack out of some bag flung in some vehicle or providing for cutlery to Barbequers or getting vegies chopped or making omlets. This man is too much enthu to physically help out and I have seen this on so many trips wow ! Keep it up my friend and always doing it all smiles. The ladies helped out with everyone's breakfast and I can only imagine how much they put up with everything smiling all the time. In fact, I think that it was only I who at times just lost my cool with many at the campsites.

Glad the trip turned out so well and a big THANK YOU to everyone who made it happen

Cheers
Old 5th May 2010, 20:24   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragpicker View Post
The problem is that this stove has such small orifices for the flames and petrol that they tend to get blocked by the fine sand that we were camped out at.
========
In fact, I think that it was only I who at times just lost my cool with many at the campsites.
First of all thank you Mukund. Second i was kidding with the last post!! Third, oh so you were actually serious when you shouted?? We thought you were trying to pull the lazy bums off their bums. Next time be more angry ok

Anyways 3 cheers to all who made it and special thanks to you Prithvi, Deepti and apna bavarchi Chetan.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks