Senior - BHPian

Looks like you guys had awesome fun.

Just voted 5 stars
Old 7th May 2010, 13:19   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Looks like you guys had awesome fun.
You bet. OTR's + Camping trips with this group can NEVER be boring and go to plan.

I enjoyed a lot as did not have to drive and enjoyed as a passenger in my Gypsy, Bluee, Venky's willys, Dwaraka's Ipzy...
Sreeraj did not let me drive and hijacked the vehcile. As per him, he wanted to experience japanse reliability & finesse for a change

@Dwaraka: PLEASEEEEEEE do something about the hot exhaust air seeping into the passenger side from under the floor pan holes.. It's more hot than an oven there
Old 7th May 2010, 13:40   #93
BHPian

@jaggu -
it was my idea to get those pipes welded/brazed in that village. the job did get done, but there was some other issue which caused the pipes to break again. probably the engine bedding ,as dwaraka was trying to point out. Why were u thinking it was a bad idea? if it hadn broken the second time, we would not need to tow the jeep back all the way, RIGHT?

2. LOL , i did over hear the "parrot" for a while i was trying to sleep . luckily i fell asleep and missed the rest of the parrot/language saga.

Anyway,
It was fun to see venky get mercilessly dragged around all day!

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th May 2010 at 20:23. Reason: Lets avoid mention of alcohol please. Thanks
Old 7th May 2010, 17:33   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post

@Dwaraka: PLEASEEEEEEE do something about the hot exhaust air seeping into the passenger side from under the floor pan holes.. It's more hot than an oven there
Khan, please understand that Dwarak uncle is much older than you...at his age he needs to be warm at all times...inside and outside...didnt you notice the number of lights he had on this trip...

I recommended spirulina to him...rememeber the protein biscuits he handed out
Old 7th May 2010, 17:50   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
This must be the afternoon on the way out of Bangalore. I dont distinctly recall seeing a white safari, but I saw a maroon xylo with a TBHP sticker on it. Was a bit busy wiping grime off my teeth/trying to keep my hat on/squinting through the afternoon sun!
Hello sir that would be my White Xylo with the Live to drive sticker at the back i was with Alter at that same time. I tried spotting t-bhp stickers on your ride but couldn't find any, really cool ride by the way. There was also a gypsy ahead of you at which i was drooling at while paying the toll. I spotted Khan_sultan's spidey with your rides while returning on kanakapura road. I blinked my headlights at you guys but no response. would love to join you guys next time around as a spectator.

Last edited by rocky080 : 7th May 2010 at 17:51.
Old 7th May 2010, 19:33   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky080 View Post
Hello sir that would be my White Xylo with the Live to drive sticker at the back i was with Alter at that same time. I tried spotting t-bhp stickers on your ride but couldn't find any, really cool ride by the way. There was also a gypsy ahead of you at which i was drooling at while paying the toll. I spotted Khan_sultan's spidey with your rides while returning on kanakapura road. I blinked my headlights at you guys but no response. would love to join you guys next time around as a spectator.
Yeah, I saw you :-)

And that white gypsy you saw was ragpicker's
Old 7th May 2010, 19:49   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
it was my idea to get those pipes welded/brazed in that village. the job did get done, but there was some other issue which caused the pipes to break again. probably the engine bedding ,as dwaraka was trying to point out. Why were u thinking it was a bad idea? if it hadn broken the second time, we would not need to tow the jeep back all the way, RIGHT?
Well, because one pipe had snapped flush at the end where the crimp/washer bit was required, to hold it inside the nut. Brazing wouldn't have worked there for sure. Thankfully you guys found the tractor pipe which we could cut and use.

Another reason as you pointed out was the vibration, which i still believe is more to do with the misfire from the engine + the missing clamps for the pipe. We never saw/checked the engine when all the 4 cylinders were firing as they were supposed to.

Engine bed might be weak but was not that bad, atleast when i last rode in his jeep couple of weeks back. Its the pipe clips which matter most to kill the vibration/resonation from the engine and the pump. The engine mount will reduce the vibration to the frame, rather than the actual vibration the engine makes in its body.

I feel a weak engine mount would have actually helped a bit in this case, since the engine and pump act as one unit which is connected to the chassis by the mounts?? A weaker mount means more freedom for the engine unit to vibrate around and disperse the surface kinetic energy? Just a theory

EDIT: Third reason i had told the owner of the jeep, to hook up with Santhosh for his Hosur contacts and to see if they can arrange some help. As soon as he gets network coverage. We should have got there by 630 ish in my guess estimate. I felt Hosur was a better place to get proper attention than the small village.

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th May 2010 at 20:21.
Old 7th May 2010, 21:03   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Bosses, those pipes and nozzles were wrong for that pump in the first place. So they broke. Re-welding them is not going to hold anything in place. They will snap in no time at all because the pressure at which the diesel is being pumped in is a LOT for those thin pipes to handle. And more diesel gets pumped as you accelerate. And guess what - they cut the minute I started climbing the ghats (which is where it got cut the first time round as well!)

This has NOTHING to do with the engine bedding, or even the clamp. The nozzle pipes and the nozzles were a wrong fit.

Arka will now come and give some pressure/bar numbers and say OKBJ and thread will be closed
Old 7th May 2010, 21:14   #99
Team-BHP Support

Brother but please don't underestimate those small clamps, they kill the resonation and it mean alot! Raju might not really understand it.
Old 7th May 2010, 21:28   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Brother but please don't underestimate those small clamps, they kill the resonation and it mean alot! Raju might not really understand it.
Venky, now Raju would have forgotten everything about diesels since he is working on petrol jeeps from a long time. be carefull he might plonk in spark plug in place of injector..
Old 7th May 2010, 21:30   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
No da, I am not undermining what you said, those clamps are very important. I have kept the other remaining clamp with him for fitment and he is securing another one. This is another small item to keep an eye on in the engine bay from now on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
Venky, now Raju would have forgotten everything about diesels since he is working on petrol jeeps from a long time. be carefull he might plonk in spark plug in place of injector..
That petrol jeep leaves for a day and comes back for the month...wonder if the tank is full of petrol....hmmmmmmm
Old 7th May 2010, 22:14   #102
Team-BHP Support

lol@star.

Put locktite and fix the screw or put a tiny nut bolt set up with spring washers, that will hold it in place. And don't you go near my jeep or the petrol tank! I know your jawa's are thirsty
Old 8th May 2010, 12:30   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post

2. LOL , i did over hear the "parrot" for a while i was trying to sleep . luckily i fell asleep and missed the rest of the parrot/language saga.

Well lucky you, who was happy after the midnight treasure hunt like a kid with his candy. some of us stayed up till 2.
Old 8th May 2010, 23:12   #104
BHPian

Lovely! Happy for all of you!
Old 10th May 2010, 11:40   #105
BHPian

Lovely outing. small group. cooking your own food, tents and 4X4. what else can one ask!

Most Viewed