Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2010, 06:27   #1
BHPian

Vinod Nookala And The Stone Temple Pilots - JNPT 8th May

The sms sat quietly in the inbox: Offroading tonight. Meet at Allan's at 9pm.

The phone rang: Vinod Nookala is in town and is missing his jeep. We thought we would welcome him. Will be leaving my home at 9pm tonight and will pick you up.

The phone rang: Waiting in Bandra for Allan and Vinod. You should leave your house at 9.30 pm tonight and wait on the highway. We will call you once we reach sion.

Grab the camera, leave the house and go sit at a coffee day waiting for the phone to ring again.

...fast forward...

Came back home at 5.30 am, had a bath to clean off the few kgs of dust from my body, made a cup of tea, and went to sleep.

In the period between those two times, when the 'normal' world is fast asleep, there were a series of incidents involving one orange jeep, one yellow monstar/2, one black gypsy, two white gypsies, one red classic and one stone quarry.

Vinod Nookala And The Stone Temple Pilots - JNPT 8th May-nookala_classic.jpg

Vinod Nookala And The Stone Temple Pilots - JNPT 8th May-allan_dust.jpg

Vinod Nookala And The Stone Temple Pilots - JNPT 8th May-alok_quarry.jpg

Vinod Nookala And The Stone Temple Pilots - JNPT 8th May-gypsy_rut.jpg

Vinod Nookala And The Stone Temple Pilots - JNPT 8th May-imran_hop.jpg

But the best person to tell the story is Tejas, since he loves being asked the question: "So Tejas, what happened next?"...

Last edited by genesis : 10th May 2010 at 06:30.
Old 10th May 2010, 09:55   #2
BHPian

hi guys , iam rahul from thane , nice to see you guys otring in the middle of the night , love to come with you all once my jeep is ready. looks like once again you all had lots of fun. looking forward for the next part of the story.
Old 10th May 2010, 12:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Imran what were you doing on Tejas's Jeep like that???

that quary was a bhul bhulayan, i took the right where we parked accent and came out of the other side of the mountain directly on the main road.
Old 10th May 2010, 13:23   #4
BHPian

Tejas - What happened Next?
Old 10th May 2010, 13:57   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdev29 View Post
Imran what were you doing on Tejas's Jeep like that???

that quary was a bhul bhulayan, i took the right where we parked accent and came out of the other side of the mountain directly on the main road.
That's Imran adding Ballast to Tejas's classic..Most Vehicles were losing traction in the front.. Bad gradient!!

Bhul Bhulauan?? Imran, Ashish, Danny Bhai and myself spent one hour looking for you

P.S. Whats the update on the Mcdonald's Jain Chicken lawsuit?
hahahhahhahahhahahhahahhaha
Old 10th May 2010, 14:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

in progress, got a call from HO to settle it.

Last edited by pdev29 : 10th May 2010 at 14:24.
Old 10th May 2010, 19:17   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
Tejas - What happened Next?
Since Tejas seems to be busy updating the: "Your 4x4 How much so far thread", here are some snippets.

After collecting all stragglers we land up at Allan's workshop to pick up his orange monster. Everyone has a great time admiring the variety of landrovers, classic cars and the graveyard behind from where old army jeeps are restored from the dead.

Danny's son lets his dad know that the only car which interests him is the classic jag and that should be his gift for his 18th birthday.
Danny quickly tells us to leave the premises and get on with the OTR before the kid starts thinking about his 25th birthday.

By this time Alok and Imran have arrived and we head to a hilly spot behind the workshop.

The first spot is a loose gravelly rut, coming out of which one has to go down a slope with boulders on the left, necessitating a sharp right. The orange jeep assumes jcb duty to clear the way and soon the rest follow

Vinod Nookala And The Stone Temple Pilots - JNPT 8th May-img_9290.jpg

Vinod Nookala And The Stone Temple Pilots - JNPT 8th May-alok_rut.jpg

Vinod Nookala And The Stone Temple Pilots - JNPT 8th May-alok_down.jpg

Vinod Nookala And The Stone Temple Pilots - JNPT 8th May-monstar_rut.jpg

Vinod Nookala And The Stone Temple Pilots - JNPT 8th May-monstar_down.jpg

Vinod Nookala And The Stone Temple Pilots - JNPT 8th May-danny_down.jpg

Vinod Nookala And The Stone Temple Pilots - JNPT 8th May-danny_down1.jpg

But we soon discover that there is a lot of illegal dumping going on in the area which has pretty much flattened out the land as well as blocked off most paths.
So it is decided to head to the JNPT area where folks had been a few months ago in day time and crawl into some stone quarries.

Vinod Nookala And The Stone Temple Pilots - JNPT 8th May-stone_quarry.jpg

The time by now is around 1am and Vinod from Chennai is probably wondering what is this thing he has gotten himself into.

He cant but help compare this loose confederation of rebels with Arka's disciplined army...

To be continued...
Old 10th May 2010, 20:27   #8
BANNED

Hi Vinod,Congrats ,You attended your 1st OTR in mumbai

I know you would have missed your jeep a lot.BTW where is it
Old 10th May 2010, 22:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

Memorable

Hey guys,
The first i saw this thread, i couldnt believe my eyes, rubbed it again and saw my name on it:-)) Thank you Mumbai guys for such a warm welcome!!

I must admit this was the craziest OTR's i have attended till date. The thing started after midnight and ended at about 6a.m! How crazy you can get? Trust me, these mumbai off roaders are fun to hang out with not just on tarmac but OFF road too!

Few things that made this off road memorable-
  • A drive in Tejas Jeep. I love stock vehicles and admire them who maintain them stock. His jeep was phenomenal. Fell in love with classic all over again! Thank you tejas for allowing me to drive your priced pocession.
  • Allan's wonder land- his garage! So many different interesting projects and so many off road vehicles. I loved those defenders, international 4x4, Discoveries, that immaculate Jaguar and also the palar killer range rover...errrr:-P
  • Met bindass guys like Devang, Alok, Dani Bhai, the sweet ladak Imran and not to forget the Genesis himself. All wonderful guys on and off the road! Yeah, one is good behind camera too:-)
  • That quary could choke any body to death, there was sooooo much of dust!!! The choice of terrain was superb, all loose rocky climb and every millimeter of GC was important. Those sharp rocks could shred any tyre, we were lucky not to shred any!
I love a good nights sleep and i dont trade it with any thing else. But this day was different, i was for my love of off roading and for the affection of Mumbaikar off roaders. We have a long way to go!

p.s- Joshguy- I missed my jeep, now being taken care of by my wife. yeah you read it right, by my wife:-))) She started it and moving it once a week.

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 10th May 2010 at 22:52.
Old 10th May 2010, 23:55   #10
BHPian

With Danny leading the way, we turned off the main highway to a state road which led to the quarry. It was a narrow road following the creek and salt pans.

Seeing Alok scanning the creek and I knew what was going through his mind. "Slush Slush Slush". But that would have to wait for another day.

Soon Danny signalled with his torch and we began the climb up the winding dirt road into the quarry, past some massive rock churning machines and making one BIG assumption: The quarry does not do blasting operations at night!

The wheels churned up enormous amounts of dust and I immediately regretted not bringing a scarf to keep my lungs from getting smoked.

Vinod Nookala And The Stone Temple Pilots - JNPT 8th May-smoke.jpg

We soon spotted a deep pit and Tejas's classic went down to check it out if there was hope.

Vinod Nookala And The Stone Temple Pilots - JNPT 8th May-tejas_climb1.jpg

Vinod Nookala And The Stone Temple Pilots - JNPT 8th May-tejas_climb2.jpg

A few tries later, it was time to roll down the heavy artillery

Vinod Nookala And The Stone Temple Pilots - JNPT 8th May-orangie_down1.jpg

Vinod Nookala And The Stone Temple Pilots - JNPT 8th May-orangie_down2.jpg

However the loose gravel combined with some nice solid rocks at the crest defeated even the crawler

Vinod Nookala And The Stone Temple Pilots - JNPT 8th May-allan_up.jpg

Vinod Nookala And The Stone Temple Pilots - JNPT 8th May-allan_reverse.jpg

So people decided to do some jeep vs gyspy heckling, and strike poses for the camera

Vinod Nookala And The Stone Temple Pilots - JNPT 8th May-look_no_hands.jpg

While the doc investigated some other options

Vinod Nookala And The Stone Temple Pilots - JNPT 8th May-tejas_doc.jpg

Since he was the one who would decide as to "what happened next"...
Old 11th May 2010, 06:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

Tejas - that "Head-light" is just trick! Something from the Dentist's chair?

And nobody tried the 2-Sock trick? Guys - just get a pair of white cotton socks, cut them down the length and stich them together to make a face-mask. Or - buy a ski-mask from the local market. You need to avoid breathing in that dust because it isn't just silica dust...there's all sorts of chemical residue from the blasting.

Fine dust is a killer. I am buying a hazmat mouth and nose mask shortly.

Last edited by gsferrari : 11th May 2010 at 07:00.
Old 11th May 2010, 08:47   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Tejas - that "Head-light" is just trick! Something from the Dentist's chair?

And nobody tried the 2-Sock trick? Guys - just get a pair of white cotton socks, cut them down the length and stich them together to make a face-mask. Or - buy a ski-mask from the local market. You need to avoid breathing in that dust because it isn't just silica dust...there's all sorts of chemical residue from the blasting.

That's why you should only OTR on trails provided by mother earth! that way you only breathe in good ol plain dust
Old 11th May 2010, 09:32   #13
BHPian

Quote:

And nobody tried the 2-Sock trick? Guys - just get a pair of white cotton socks, cut them down the length and stich them together to make a face-mask.
Damn! I should have woken up the local storekeeper at the outskirts of the quarry to sell me his last pair. But then procuring a sewing machine at 3 am in the morning would have been a slight problem.

Quote:

Given what I heard about the specs of the legendary icebox in your ride, there is a high probability of a white gypsy driven by Darth Vader showing up at the next OTR

But seriously speaking, there are quite a few folks who swear that the icebox saved their life during the Karjat recce so it is always better to be prepared.

And yes, the fine dust is very injurious to health so if you are procuring a hazmat mask, do get one for me.

Just make sure I dont end up looking like a storm trooper!
Old 11th May 2010, 12:54   #14
Senior - BHPian

guys lets buy 2-3 sets of walky talky and a laser light for all our cars,

it will be helpful in places like quary we went. laser will help a lot to identify other cars locations.

its for some 700rs, can anyone find out the cost for walkies???
Old 11th May 2010, 13:38   #15
BHPian

On Walkie!!!

Devang Calling Devang Calling

I am @ PS complaining about chic---.

We should buy, it will be a great fun, guys will try to bring them within the range of Walkie Talkie by seeing the laser light.

@Tejas - A new name for our Club - HITECH OFFROADERS

Cheers!

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th May 2010 at 16:40. Reason: gr8 = great, abt = about. Please type in full words. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks