Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2010, 15:38   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

Hmm i think there was some misunderstanding between the tow and towee. He was trying to fish you out to a safe place where those tyres will work without sinking. Understand that the tow vehicle will have a tough time in those sand and only momentum will help it recover, zig zag is due to the slippery nature of the whole area.

If i remember correct he had told you to slot reverse and hold on till he finds a harder surface?? Anyways take it offline with him

ps: i dont think it was more than 15-20 kmph.
The Towee needs some time to understand. few more OTRs..

Quote:
who is that?
The person who offered tow

Last edited by star_aqua : 24th May 2010 at 15:52.
Old 24th May 2010, 15:48   #32
Team-BHP Support

He came, he watched and then he towed, he was the innocent fella who chirped this can be done in 2 wheel drive to a poor unsuspecting Robi. Then started showering praise on DwArF to push it in, and finally discovered that the climb is not possible for long wheel base diesel jeeps. So he waited and just watched the fun! But somehow we managed to make him use the 4 wheel drive later on, for 100 mts.

The rut has become deeper, the ridge is still at the LT when we climb up. For return LT (side while coming down) was much better as we figured out later.
Old 24th May 2010, 15:54   #33
BHPian

so redliner didnt even get to do that first obstacle? SUPER!!
Old 24th May 2010, 15:58   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I see "I bought the jeep only for birding" man too in the photos. What happened to the big announcement about not offroading anymore?
he he he I couldn't resist Samu

Quote:
The bird spotter did manage to do some 4x4 but his jeep is too deadly at tow, and i will not be using his services anymore!! Too deadly he he
Jaggu when you tow a heavier vehicle, always Jerk is the better way. (Invader and Bogged down 540)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Jaggu, you really mean that??? I am surprised if you are!!! Meeting him for the first time, I thought he didnt know how to drive leave alone towing or more serious tasks. Who tows another vehicle at 30 kmph for close to 50 metres in zig zag motion knowing very well that the other vehicle is going backwards??? Was it being naughty??? I condemn it as it was highly unsafe for both of us in so many ways. You know what I am saying Jaggu...
Yeah you are meeting me for the first time and you already juged my Driving skills. Boss, i don't need your certification. I have told you and your friend who was hesitent to get down in the muck for attaching the Tow rope to your Jeep, that i will tow you to the Hardest surface, I told shekar also to inform you to slot in revers gear, if you had communication problem between you, it's not my fault. Do you know how difficult it was for me to tow you on that hard looking (Knee deep slush underneath) surface with my Puny NDMS? Do you know why my Jeep was going zig zag? And FYI... this is not the first time I am towing someone, off the road and on the road. If i try to pull you out slowly, i would have bogged down. Let's stop this discussion here!!!

Quote:
who is that?
He is talking about me Jaggu :-)

Thanks
--Sree--
Old 24th May 2010, 16:13   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...After 30 mts or so we notice a MM540 beaches lil far off, its our Wolf! He has got royally stuck and our great rescuer Sriraj jumps into his jeep and rides off to tow him out. Few minutes later i see wolf's jeep being towed out in reverse and parked in safe spot. Good show Sriraj...
Is it this towing pic being discussed above??

Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-123.jpg

Quote:
....Meeting him for the first time, I thought he didnt know how to drive leave alone towing or more serious tasks...
Wolf - I can assure you (since I have seen all these boyz in action), that no one takes safety for fun. It was a case of surface hardness that sreeRaj had in mind, and only when a 'tower' feels that both jeeps are on hard surface, should he stop - else both get bogged down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
....$$$$$$$$$$$$$........if you had communication problem between you, it's not my fault.....
No hardfeelings here guys...
Old 24th May 2010, 16:21   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Jaggu when you tow a heavier vehicle, always Jerk is the better way. (Invader and Bogged down 540)...
The only reason why you were able to pull our Robin out of the sew-saw with one stroke. You had him pulled back well enough that when he gunned his engine, the tires got enough traction to back out.

That was one quick recovery there.
Old 24th May 2010, 16:25   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And FYI... this is not the first time I am towing someone, off the road and on the road.
And this includes a rare offroading Beatle.
Old 24th May 2010, 16:46   #38
BHPian

Hi guys,
Wow! nice to be back in the office after a rocking sunday. Let me thank you all for a superb and event full trip. Had the oppurtunity to test my invader on the mud, which I have been waiting for, now I know what more to work on. LOL
Just for my understanding, If I change the low gear ratio or the dif ratio and increase the torque, will it be any better on such extreme muddy track. I really want to climb that stretch without winch.
Jaggu, really nice pictures, I like Mr. winch man with the open top jeep on a busy highway.
Once again Thank you all. See you guys soon.

Regards
Robinson
Old 24th May 2010, 16:50   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^ Venky never got a chance so he will crib and yes thats exactly what i told others after i tasted it. Momentum but not speed, latter was the mistake i did.

Hmm i think there was some misunderstanding between the tow and towee. He was trying to fish you out to a safe place where those tyres will work without sinking. Understand that the tow vehicle will have a tough time in those sand and only momentum will help it recover, zig zag is due to the slippery nature of the whole area.

If i remember correct he had told you to slot reverse and hold on till he finds a harder surface?? Anyways take it offline with him

ps: i dont think it was more than 15-20 kmph.
Jaggu, I am uninterested in creating stories here nor am I holding you as a judge here but I am sure we both know what Im talking about so no reason for advocacy or clarification. From the spot I was stuck the slush was not more that 10 feet leave 50 meters for God sake, LOL!!! BTW, I was there at the very same spot today too with a jeeper who couldnt make it yesterday and a couple others...so lets not dwell into it any more coz we discussed what happened yesterday at the very spot today including Robin's incident.

It was a feedback that I seeked acknowledgement and correction to offset safety against mischief...not unnecessary defence or argument. BTW experience alone doesnt make one better coz if it were that way my grand mother wouldve been a better driver than me today

No offense Sriraj, no point to prove here, I hope we know what we are talking about. Thanks for the tow anyway

Last edited by The Wolf : 24th May 2010 at 17:02.
Old 24th May 2010, 17:27   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
The only reason why you were able to pull our Robin out of the sew-saw with one stroke. You had him pulled back well enough that when he gunned his engine, the tires got enough traction to back out.

That was one quick recovery there.
yes, Considering the weight of Inavder that was the only way to pull him out with my light Jeep. Mind you, you should never try this with rigid steel rope.

Quote:
LOL!!! you remember the guy who stood next to Beatle and did not allow us to touch it?

Quote:
Jaggu, I am uninterested in creating stories here nor am I holding you as a judge here but I am sure we both know what Im talking about so no reason for advocacy or clarification.
No one is advocating me here, and everyone here knows what i am talking about!!! No worries, you will understand it after some OTRs

Quote:
It was a feedback that I seeked acknowledgement and correction to offset safety against mischief...not unnecessary defence or argument.
It is very sad if you felt i am Mischief

Quote:
BTW experience alone doesnt make one better coz if it were that way my grand mother wouldve been a better driver than me today
i like this bit.

Quote:
No offense Sriraj, no point to prove here, I hope we know what we are talking about. Thanks for the tow anyway
No offence taken, I have a point to prove here, I very well know what i am talking about and what i did. And you are Welcome.

Thanks
--Sree--

PS: Let's stop this discussion here
Old 24th May 2010, 17:53   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
And you are Welcome.
============
PS: Let's stop this discussion here
Purfect, but now atleast others can post some more pics and stuff. So many camera's and this is all what we have. Shameful!

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinson.s View Post
Just for my understanding, If I change the low gear ratio or the dif ratio and increase the torque, will it be any better on such extreme muddy track. I really want to climb that stretch without winch.
Hey Robi it was a pleasure meeting you yesterday. I think diff ratio is a better bet and as far as i know M&M has a zillion combo available for diff models. So speak to someone who is technical and then start off. Do a search i remember this being discussed earlier.

Good point to start off http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...ng-ratios.html

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th May 2010 at 18:05.
Old 24th May 2010, 17:59   #42
Senior - BHPian

Hey,
Nice! Good to see Jaggu's Dwarf!
Also, nice to see Sree & his Jeep after a long time.
Thanks for sharing these pictures Jaggu & Akash.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 24th May 2010, 18:37   #43
BHPian

Quote:
never knew any of the beatles went off roading , which one are you talking abt?
Old 24th May 2010, 18:39   #44

PearL Vally OTR

Hey Guys, My First OTR and it was great fun.
Old 24th May 2010, 18:58   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
never knew any of the beatles went off roading , which one are you talking abt?
See this:

Details here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...-report-2.html

Most Viewed