Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2010, 21:53   #1
Team-BHP Support

Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).

Laila teased us and moved on, which brought some respite to the heat with some showers and then some wild idea's. Conversation went like this.

Mr X: What's plan for the weekend?

Mr Y: Nothing. You wanna do something?

Mr X: Ofcourse! Yes.

Mr Y: Pearl Valley?

Mr X: Exactly what i had in mind

Mr Y: Chal lets see what we can cook up.

So the weekend started off with some of us spending time at garage, which has kind of become the norm. lol! No not me, i was enjoying DwArF and went and tanked up and checked the air pressure and all.

Met up with Khan who was busy trying out new tricks to increase the articulation of Spidey. Some minor hicups, so Spidey was not at the best of spirits, still as decided earlier over phone, we would head out to Pearl Valley.

Woke up at 530 am on Sunday to pick up recovery gear, tools and one Mr Khan_Sultan and headed out to Banarghatta road where few others were scheduled to meet up with us. First stop was for breakfast.

The 4x4's lined up and Robinson's butch looking ride.
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1204.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1205.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1206.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1208.jpg

Then the convoy proceeded towards Pear Valley and one of the stops for the regroup.
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1209.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1210.jpg

Convoy proceeds forward and a small regroup to slot those free wheeling hubs onto lock position.
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1211.jpg

We decent to the infamous culvert crossing and the terrain looked so innocent. Some even commented that it could be done in 2 wheel drive and in went poor Robinson who is unaware of what Pearl Valley can! He managed to shift to 4x4 but was lil late and the jeep sinks in front!! Lucky Prabhu AV is there with his 540 and winch, so time to winch out and to anchor the 540 the Safari is also called in.
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1212.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1213.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1214.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1216.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1217.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1218.jpg

While others watch the fun.
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1215.jpg

After few minutes the jeep is out and Robinson is charging in for the second try, this time with proper 4x4 enaged and....
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1219.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1220.jpg

And he climbs over the culvert but then slips and slides and decides to back out completely and then, wooooosh, the mud sucks him in!
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1221.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1222.jpg

Winch man and his menace (thats the name we have given the 540 today), goes in and gets royally stuck. But look ma i have a winch and there is a tree!
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1223.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1224.jpg
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1224.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	335.0 KB
ID:	353587
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1225.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1226.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1227.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1228.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1229.jpg

Prithvi aka king413 decides to show up late and head straight for the climb and get stuck. Prabhu is on the other side and decides to offer the winch assistance from Menace.
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1230.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1231.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1232.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1233.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1234.jpg

To be cont
Old 23rd May 2010, 22:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

Talking about Robinson, here is his effort:

Old 23rd May 2010, 22:23   #3
BHPian

OH!!!!!! Man How did i miss this
My friends ?? i have been waiting for an OTR. Actually my first one for almost a month now post getting my 4x4 active but alas...
I am going red seeing you all having so much fun.
I was online on Saturday too to check if there were any plans but... anyways hope all of you had fun & enjoyed.

Jaggu - Waiting eagerly for more updates from you on the OTR.
Old 23rd May 2010, 23:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

And this is how Robin got out:

Back ground conversations:

- Teaching Rajesh grammer

- Rajesh experience at the workshop; the other spot where most of the OTR participants converge!

EDIT:

Video's remaining to be uploaded (tomorrow):

- Jaggu showing what his Dwarf can do

- Vijay (hope I got the name right; the MM with the winch) flight off a pit

- Sundeep's Willy making the pit look like a child's play!

Last edited by HappyWheels : 23rd May 2010 at 23:11.
Old 23rd May 2010, 23:37   #5
BHPian

All the pictures are very nice
The track was a bit challenging
Old 23rd May 2010, 23:41   #6
Team-BHP Support

Curse of the...

So Menace finds a cozy spot on top and Prithvi's Gypsy is being winched up.
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1235.jpg

Next is Ajay aka Gypsy boy
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1236.jpg

Robinson cant stay away for long
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1237.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1238.jpg
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1238.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	386.3 KB
ID:	353675

Rajesh ready to take the jump
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1239.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1241.jpg

Meanwhile some characters don't appreciate the way in which DwArF is sitting neat and clean, so big praises about the Hurricane and how it can climb where diesels don't. The weight advantage + Power + Superb NDMS lol I was getting bored and decided ill give it a try.

There is a nice 2-3 foot rut just before the climb and its soft goovy mud through out. So i gather some momentum and go in and kdang my head goes and kisses the windshield and next thing i realize am climbing. Hooraah!!! But it was short lived since there is mount in front of the left front tire and i slip and slide without moving an inch forward. Prithvi does some spotting and finally DwArF doing a sideways circus.
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1242.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1243.jpg

Its becoming dicey and its decided that the awesome NDMS has to go!! and i need to be winched up!
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1244.jpg

Meanwhile Prithvi returns to get stuck lol
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1245.jpg

My camera is totally remote controlled and cant keep off DwArF
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1246.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1247.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1248.jpg

I return and get royally stuck again
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1249.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1250.jpg

And then being towed out
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1251.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1252.jpg

Gypsy boy's turn and the sleek tires give it away though his approach was through a better side
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1253.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1254.jpg

I park DwArF back and everybody is happy to see him like this
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1255.jpg

Sundeep want's to give it a try and
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1256.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1257.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1258.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1259.jpg

Something happened in between, local news spy spotted us and called a local TV channel. They inturn called the local police station to see if any event was being organized which resulted in local cops showing up and giving us a deadline of 30 mts to move all vehicles and clear out

We were polite and the inspector also was quite decent, he informed us to take permission next time and then do whatever we want, and he will also come and watch the fun. So that was it, the end of Pearl Valley fun!!

But before the cops came Prithvi, Khan and team had already started on the actual trail and no network coverage means we have to wait for them at the top (beginning of the trail).

After 5 mts we see the Gypsy, far away on some rocks lol
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1260.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1261.jpg

My SMS reached them on top of the rock where the network locked in and on calling us, we informed them to head back.
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1262.jpg

So gloomy us return from Pearl Valley butttttttt heading to alternate location!! On the way we meet up with Team Reva.
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1264.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1263.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1267.jpg

To be cont, we just warmed up to the fun
Old 23rd May 2010, 23:57   #7
Team-BHP Support

Moving on to lake bed!

So the sulking lot leaves pearl valley and our knight in sweat shirt comes up with an alternate location. Its a lake bed on the way to BLR but towards the Hosur road side. As if we needed invitation. Drive for another half an hour or so and we are the first ones to reach the spot.

I pop the bonnet open since the fuel and temp gauge along with indicators and brake lights have conked. Its a fuse issue and somehow keeps blowing one fuse after the other in minutes, when i change them.

The bed is soft sand and slush, so some of us park the vehicle and jam up under a tree for some refreshment and eatables. Egg/Vegetable puffs and banana's are in the menu.

Robinson heads out and goes nose down to get beached, everybody is an lazy mood so Robi also deserts the vehicle and join in for the muchies. After 30 mts or so we notice a MM540 beaches lil far off, its our Wolf! He has got royally stuck and our great rescuer Sriraj jumps into his jeep and rides off to tow him out. Few minutes later i see wolf's jeep being towed out in reverse and parked in safe spot. Good show Sriraj. Same thing happens to Robi's jeep,which was just pulled out with a tug!!
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1270.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1271.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1272.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1273.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1274.jpg

Then after a break we decide to move to few pits which are inside and far away from prying eyes. Shekhar and wolf gang found this spot and then rest of the gang joins in and full mayhem. I didnt even get time to change lens and was running from one point to another to get some decent shots. What i could manage.
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1275.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1276.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1277.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1278.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1279.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1280.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1281.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1282.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1283.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1284.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1286.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1287.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1288.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1289.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1290.jpg

Then i see Vijay (call him Dennis) and his Menace get in, first he crawls but somehow the long wheel base seems to get stuck. And then he goes full steam and i was Let the pictures do the talking!!
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1292.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1293.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1294.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1295.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1296.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1297.jpg

And then the mayhem continues
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1298.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1299.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1300.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1301.jpg

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th May 2010 at 11:38.
Old 24th May 2010, 00:05   #8
Team-BHP Support

Now its full free flow, jeeps here and there climbing, getting stuck and what not!
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1302.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1303.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1304.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1305.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1306.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1307.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1308.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1309.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1310.jpg

Till Vijay gets stuck inside a hole, but then he has winch!
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1311.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1312.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1313.jpg

Prithvi tackle the mound, this looks innocent but quite a climb and tricky, if you place the wheels wrong high possibility you will topple
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1315.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1316.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1317.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1318.jpg

Robi gets stuck and being towed out, and how!
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1319.jpg

Rajesh doing some numbers to remove the fear of BG Goddrich's
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1320.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1321.jpg

Robi does the mount and then gets slightly tangled in the mud
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1322.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1323.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1324.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1325.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1326.jpg

And some more action shots
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1328.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1329.jpg

Finally we call it a day and drive back to BLR for some nice biriyani lunch.
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1330.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1335.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1336.jpg
Pearl Valley May 23rd, Totally Unplanned OTR! (Report Update on Page 1).-img_1340.jpg

Finito!

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th May 2010 at 13:21. Reason: Madness continues
Old 24th May 2010, 01:19   #9
BHPian

Bad bad people, having all the fun . I can't believe i missed it. I was itching to go on another OTR after the Sarjapur one, and here i am sitting at home feeling miserable for missing out on all the fun . BTW was there a thread about this OTR.
Old 24th May 2010, 07:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

Awesome!

But wasn't the THAR also supposed to be there?
Old 24th May 2010, 07:50   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Jaggu, was DwArF tired after that crossing ? He seems to be leaning to one side, as if trying to give the left side wheels a break ?

Lovely pics .
Old 24th May 2010, 08:03   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Yeah - I noticed that too. Jaggu - did anything interesting on that side of the vehicle ?

Thanks for the invite call though. It was 10 pm when we came back from Nanjangud and I was tired through the bones that I woke up at 9 am Sunday.
Old 24th May 2010, 08:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

The cop wanted us to get "proper" permissions and then do what we were doing and he wanted to be a spectator, only did not want his sunday ruined by the "media" if something went wrong.
Old 24th May 2010, 10:04   #14
BHPian

Hmmm why were we not informed about this OTR , i would have loved to join you guys . Khan sir very bad . but a good one though
Old 24th May 2010, 10:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

missed this one. I see that you folks enjoyed the OTR to best. photos please.

Most Viewed