Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2010, 16:44   #181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
So, did the THAR do it in 2WD ? I heard that you folks doing recce to ensure that THAR does the trail and is not a let down there in front of jeepers from all over India
Khan,
Never thought from this angle . Infact Thar wasnt even there for the recee.

p.s I will leave it to Behram for your comment on 2wd capability. I believe in 4wd.

@SHA- I do not know about Munnar story, but what ever recovery team i had the drivers ( Sawant and Todankar) and Ninad Bhosle on Bolero were equally capable and did not sweat even a bit manevouring large vehicle like Marshal and Bolero 4wd on Karjat trail.

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 20th June 2010 at 16:53.
Old 20th June 2010, 17:42   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
So, did the THAR do it in 2WD ? I heard that you folks doing recce to ensure that THAR does the trail and is not a let down there in front of jeepers from all over India

LOL KS, Please do NOT post negative comments on the forum!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Khan,
I will leave it to Behram for your comment on 2wd capability
The THAR IMO should do the gradient the yellow jeep stuggled with in 2WD , if you use the right technique!
Old 20th June 2010, 19:40   #183
BHPian

"This is a jeep terrain just like Alvakponda trail. So gypsy guys beware."

Beware of what? Pl be explicit
Old 21st June 2010, 14:55   #184
Senior - BHPian

Im sure he means slipping while coming down. When we went for the first recce there was a spot (amongst others) which had an intensive slope where the M&Ms crawled down effortlessly using the engine power (or engine braking) but the Gypsy had a problem as even while coming down in the first, the speed seemed too fast and i can imagine what it would be now since the terrain had gone mushy and slippery. Imran Ladak was there with GS Ferrari, they will fill you in with first hand experiences. Both did brilliantly inspite of all odds.
Old 21st June 2010, 16:00   #185
Senior - BHPian

some shots to fuel your appetite

Guys,
Here are some shots to fuel your appetite-
Attached Thumbnails
The Alfa Kilo Challenge event details.-4.jpg  

The Alfa Kilo Challenge event details.-17.jpg  

The Alfa Kilo Challenge event details.-32.jpg  

The Alfa Kilo Challenge event details.-26.jpg  

The Alfa Kilo Challenge event details.-39.jpg  

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 21st June 2010 at 16:01.
Old 21st June 2010, 16:06   #186
Senior - BHPian

Some more pics. The gully pic is where i almost lost my finger.
Attached Thumbnails
The Alfa Kilo Challenge event details.-8.jpg  

The Alfa Kilo Challenge event details.-28.jpg  

The Alfa Kilo Challenge event details.-29.jpg  

Old 21st June 2010, 16:22   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Some more pics. The gully pic is where i almost lost my finger.
What were you doing with your finger you naughty boy vinod!
Old 21st June 2010, 16:24   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Shahnawaz - hello after a long time. Its nice to converse again. I've been very busy lately, things came up on the personal front.

Today I think I have the credentials and the capability to confidently state that when a test vehicle fails, it makes the test engineer very happy. A test vehicle is supposed to fail because that is when conversation between the test engineer and the test vehicle takes place. The beauty is in the test engineer knowing beforehand exactly what will happen, exactly when required performance will not get delivered, exactly when what will give way etc, because that's when the exact FMEA (Failure Mode Effect Analysis) gets born. Then you implement logical corrections which ensures that the particular failure mode is eradicated forever. If the test vehicle does not fail, as a test engineer, I become quite uncomfortable, because the test vehicle is actually not a vehicle, it is a veritable moving laboratory on wheels. Remember the first principle we teach to all our test engineers - if the test vehicle does not fail, the customer's vehicle will fail. Its a mindset Shahnawaz, believe me. We love it.

Something more on driving by test engineers. When we take our test cars out for a spin, we manage to subconsciously overtake just about everybody, even when we are not in the mood to go fast. A deft twist of the steering wheel, a slight tap on the "chamcha" (accelerator pedal) and we just disappear. It just happens! It becomes quite a chore for us to drive in RWUP mode (Real World Usage Pattern), as is required for some FMEAs.

As far as being able to go through obstacles in 2 wheel drive is concerned, it all depends on the situation "on the ground". For example, in Alibag, there was this Japanese Pajero which refused to climb a gradient, even after repeated attempts in 4 wheel drive. I offered to help the gentleman, sat on the driver's seat, just went up the gradient and parked. There was nothing wrong with the car as well as the gentleman. It just did not happen, that's all. That day, I did not prove anything to anybody. I think we are all professional enough to agree that we are not trying to prove anything to anybody. At least in my case, those days are over. We are all going to enjoy ourselves without looking over each others' backs, seeing how each vehicle is behaving or misbehaving, so shall we enjoy? Please?.

Right now, I am concentrating on making Thar a success within the framework of a large progressive organization which is a task in itself. I need your support to be able to succeed, and succeed I shall, there is no doubt there. I am sure I can count on all of you in this regard..

Please accept my best personal regards,

Behram Dhabhar

PS - I have not taken the Thar on the Karjat trail.

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 21st June 2010 at 16:25. Reason: add info
Old 21st June 2010, 18:14   #189
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Shahnawaz - hello after a long time. Its nice to converse again.....

..... I think we are all professional enough to agree that we are not trying to prove anything to anybody. At least in my case, those days are over. We are all going to enjoy ourselves without looking over each others' backs, seeing how each vehicle is behaving or misbehaving, so shall we enjoy? Please....

I need your support to be able to succeed, and succeed I shall, there is no doubt there. I am sure I can count on all of you in this regard..
Arre Behram Bhai, 100% agree with you. It's just some friendly banter going on and nothing else. After all, more than off-roading & the terrain it is the time spent with fellow off-roaders on the trail that is more memorable -- and some joke here/there is all part of the banter. nothing else.

Look forward to a memorable AKC soon.
Old 22nd June 2010, 13:44   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
What were you doing with your finger you naughty boy vinod!
Height of imagination. You will also encounter that precise gully very soon and yeah keep your fingers safe
Old 22nd June 2010, 18:27   #191
BHPian

Everyone who owns a sleeping bag,carry it with you....just in case you are one of the lucky ones
also anyone who has, and is well versed with pitching his or her tent may bring it to the AKC.

Guys make sure you carry enough mosquito repellent as the area has more than it's fair share of tiger mosquitoes.

I will not be available online from tomorrow morning as i will be at the venue wrapping things up.

See you all on Friday!
Old 22nd June 2010, 21:16   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocamp View Post
Everyone who owns a sleeping bag,carry it with you....just in case you are one of the lucky ones
also anyone who has, and is well versed with pitching his or her tent may bring it to the AKC.

Guys make sure you carry enough mosquito repellent as the area has more than it's fair share of tiger mosquitoes.

I will not be available online from tomorrow morning as i will be at the venue wrapping things up.

See you all on Friday!
Kunal, why don't you upload the GPS track to your farm house so that people can find their way to your farm house.
Old 22nd June 2010, 21:49   #193
BHPian

Anyone leaving from bombay 25th evening directly for akc.
We can plan a central meeting point.
Old 22nd June 2010, 23:29   #194
Team-BHP Support

Ok guys we are all set and starting tomorrow morning from BLR, plan to stay at Belgaum for night and then proceed to Pune.
Old 23rd June 2010, 05:18   #195
BHPian

Sorry guys , I do not own a GPS device.

For Directions to the AKC call me when you reach karjat Town.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks