Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2010, 16:28   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
So....when are you getting a jeep? Its now a personal vendetta/mission for many people around here and outside to see you driving a jeep.........
Waiting to test out the THAR -- if you guys can call it a jeep .

I heard MM folks are doing secret recces to test out the THAR in advance at the AKC terrain.
Old 20th June 2010, 17:46   #107
Senior - BHPian

VN where art thou? please answer this query from Khan Sir.

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 20th June 2010 at 17:59.
Old 20th June 2010, 18:00   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
I think before Akaash could press the record button, the Gypsy was done with the climb
100% true. it just took 9 seconds to climb. I stopped recording spideys video as it was boring (no struggling, stunts)

Quote:

Yeah, the jeeps make the terrain look 100 times more tough then it actually is and helps maintain the illusion -- of what great/daring things these folks are doing. Special effects...
lol Eg. redliners video ?
Old 20th June 2010, 18:03   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
lol Eg. redliners video ?
Dai you dont want to livyodream anymore is it?
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2010, 18:03   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Spidey up for sale soon..

Quote:
I heard MM folks are doing secret recces to test out the THAR in advance at the AKC terrain.
No its MM folks getting trained on the terrain and plotting the strategies on how to recovery the THAR while you test driving it
Old 20th June 2010, 18:09   #111
Senior - BHPian

@Star please don't doubt the driving skills of Khan Sir. Agreed he has a capable machine in his hands but he is a capable driver too!

Spike
Old 20th June 2010, 18:13   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
@Star please don't doubt the driving skills of Khan Sir. Agreed he has a capable machine in his hands but he is a capable driver too!

Spike
Spike, his spidey has made him handicap.. he can never handle a jeep
Old 20th June 2010, 18:22   #113
BHPian

Quote:
@Akaash: what is this buddy?? No video of my Gypsy doing that climb?? not fair

here it is. it also has a very good comparison between Spidy and Ghajini .

OK now I'm gonna run for cover.

General vid of spidey :

Old 20th June 2010, 18:28   #114
BHPian

New way of fixing bumper (Something i saw for the 1st time) :

Last set of photos

Munnar Monsoon Magic! Updated!-img_6926.jpg

Munnar Monsoon Magic! Updated!-img_6927.jpg

Munnar Monsoon Magic! Updated!-img_6930.jpg

Munnar Monsoon Magic! Updated!-img_6934.jpg

Munnar Monsoon Magic! Updated!-img_6942.jpg

Munnar Monsoon Magic! Updated!-img_6944.jpg

Name:  IMG_6945.JPG
Views: 811
Size:  224.1 KB

Munnar Monsoon Magic! Updated!-img_6947.jpg

Munnar Monsoon Magic! Updated!-img_6948.jpg

Munnar Monsoon Magic! Updated!-img_6950.jpg

Munnar Monsoon Magic! Updated!-img_6952.jpg

Munnar Monsoon Magic! Updated!-img_6953.jpg

Munnar Monsoon Magic! Updated!-img_6954.jpg

Munnar Monsoon Magic! Updated!-img_6956.jpg

Munnar Monsoon Magic! Updated!-img_6957.jpg

Munnar Monsoon Magic! Updated!-img_6959.jpg

Munnar Monsoon Magic! Updated!-img_6967.jpg

Munnar Monsoon Magic! Updated!-img_6972.jpg

Munnar Monsoon Magic! Updated!-img_6974.jpg

Munnar Monsoon Magic! Updated!-img_6975.jpg

Last edited by livyodream : 20th June 2010 at 18:40.
Old 20th June 2010, 18:48   #115
Senior - BHPian

The Munnar trail is beautiful. You guys have had a very good time. Im sure after a full rainshower onslaught for a month this trail is going to become extremely challenging.

The comparison between spidey and Ghajini is a perfect example of how the jeeps successfully contribute in destroying the trail. Each jeep spends many attempts to cross one spot which in reality should not be very difficulty.. in the process making craters of small ditches.
Lack of grunt being the primary contributor.
Im glad Mahindra has put a 100 bhp engine in the Thar. Now with some grunt its worthy of being called a Jeep. All earlier examples qualified as terrible underpowered examples serving to fill up the Mahindra coffers while doing the offroading enthusiast no good at all.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 20th June 2010 at 18:50.
Old 20th June 2010, 19:29   #116
Senior - BHPian

Jeeper by heart

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
VN where art thou? please answer this query from Khan Sir.

Spike
Khan sir has been answered in AKC thread. THAR wasnt there for the recee. You know, where it is! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
Spike, his spidey has made him handicap.. he can never handle a jeep
haha,
lets punish Khan for running his imaginations wild! Lets give him a jeep. I will drive his Spidy. What Khan sir? ready for the trade off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post

The comparison between spidey and Ghajini is a perfect example of how the jeeps successfully contribute in destroying the trail. Each jeep spends many attempts to cross one spot which in reality should not be very difficulty.. in the process making craters of small ditches.
Im glad Mahindra has put a 100 bhp engine in the Thar. Now with some grunt its worthy of being called a Jeep. All earlier examples qualified as terrible underpowered examples serving to fill up the Mahindra coffers while doing the offroading enthusiast no good at all.
Jay,
Though you have written good about THAR's power but i beg to disagree on old jeeps being severely underpowered . I am a jeeper by heart and still swear by old engines and trusted KMT 90 with T 18 TC. Their grunt is unmatched because of their lower gearing and axle ratios. I agree THAR is more powerful, but older jeeps arent as bad as you say.

Comparison with spidy isnt good because of -
  • Tyres
  • rear lockers
  • host of other modifications
  • light weight
Spidy is a preped vehicle. Infact i believe the other way round, jeeps do less drama where some times gypsy digs the whole thing up. Depends upon trail to trail and vehicle to vehicle

You should have been there in Alvakonda trail where jeeps walked the whole thing as if it was no drama and stock Gypsys struggled at places. Ditto you are going to see in Karjat trail. Gypsy's had advantage in Palar kind of terrain where power and rpm are every thing. So, it is situational not vehicle specific.

p.s- Why that jeep couldt clear in first attempt-
1. Took the same speed as that of spidy forgetting that sidy had diff lock rear
2. not enough momentum
3. May be he was running 2nd low or 1st low, too low gearing leading to wheel spin
4. last attempt he cleared purely due to momentum

No question of lack of power here. If you have lack of power your engine must shut down, this didnt happen here.

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 20th June 2010 at 19:39.
Old 20th June 2010, 19:33   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
The Munnar trail is beautiful. You guys have had a very good time. Im sure after a full rainshower onslaught for a month this trail is going to become extremely challenging.

its very simple here to understand. spidey is also running on lockers and jeep is also running on lockers. jeep has enough grunt to move its own weight and spidey too. only difference is the weight. now please re do the math.
Old 20th June 2010, 19:52   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, Ghajini's tyres are not worth the posts being written on about the issue of non-clearing the patch here. If he had better lugs, he would have cleared in a jiffy.

Now me, with even those lugs, is a different story altogether. I am sure one of the villagers cursed me when i got my wheel too close to their house over that stone path we had to take.
Old 20th June 2010, 20:00   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Guys, Ghajini's tyres are not worth the posts being written on about the issue of non-clearing the patch here. If he had better lugs, he would have cleared in a jiffy.
Gajini does not have a MAXXIS tattoo on it eh??
Old 20th June 2010, 20:49   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Jay,
Though you have written good about THAR's power but i beg to disagree on old jeeps being severely underpowered . I am a jeeper by heart and still swear by old engines and trusted KMT 90 with T 18 TC. Their grunt is unmatched because of their lower gearing and axle ratios. I agree THAR is more powerful, but older jeeps arent as bad as you say.

Comparison with spidy isnt good because of -
  • Tyres
  • rear lockers
  • host of other modifications
  • light weight
Spidy is a preped vehicle. Infact i believe the other way round, jeeps do less drama where some times gypsy digs the whole thing up. Depends upon trail to trail and vehicle to vehicle

You should have been there in Alvakonda trail where jeeps walked the whole thing as if it was no drama and stock Gypsys struggled at places. Ditto you are going to see in Karjat trail. Gypsy's had advantage in Palar kind of terrain where power and rpm are every thing. So, it is situational not vehicle specific.

p.s- Why that jeep couldt clear in first attempt-
1. Took the same speed as that of spidy forgetting that sidy had diff lock rear
2. not enough momentum
3. May be he was running 2nd low or 1st low, too low gearing leading to wheel spin
4. last attempt he cleared purely due to momentum

No question of lack of power here. If you have lack of power your engine must shut down, this didnt happen here.
Vinod : I too am a huge Jeep lover. When I see one pass I still turn my head checking it out thoroughly. I particularly liked the Marshal for some reason. Externally, the Jeep, she is beautiful but choli ke peeche, nothing impresses me much. I dont know about the engine numbers etc that you mentioned because all that doesnt interest me much. I used to own a Classic and she was a beauty and I maintained her stock. But offroad the only thing that saved the day for her was what you rightly mentioned - gear ratios.
Beyond that, it was a pain to own with more time spent maintaining it that enjoying it. Simply put, the lack of grunt statement comes from my subsequent ownership of a gypsy, after which I was very happy that I sold the Classic since I was close of turning mechanic myself. In stock form it smacked most of the terrain with finnesse and I never looked under the hood.. Im not a professional, but I know i have decent offroad skill & experience to make my statement...
I accept its probably wrong to compare Spidey with Ghajani because difflocks etc notwithstanding, as the names suggest they both are indeed different. and again, I agree with your analysis of probabilities as to why the jeep found it difficult to clear the obstacle easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
its very simple here to understand. spidey is also running on lockers and jeep is also running on lockers. jeep has enough grunt to move its own weight and spidey too. only difference is the weight. now please re do the math.
Buddy youve answered it yourself. If both were running lockers and you say its the weight of the Jeep that is the problem youve agreed with me totally. For its weight, it lacks power hence the power to weight difference.. and therefore lack of grunt.

Guys, I rest my case, since I dont want to turn this wonderful thread into a jeep debate... but my personal views will not change, try what you may to outconvince me.. ive been there and done the JEEP thing. The Thar has just rekindled estranged love.

Cheers,

Jay

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 20th June 2010 at 20:52.

Most Viewed