Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2010, 11:41   #31
BHPian

Amazing . THis is one EXAMM which everyone will like . And hey Devang has your MONSTAR gone the SPOA way
Old 29th June 2010, 11:51   #32

Had a good time at both the EXAMM events.
Was a long drive back to Bangalore.

Giri
Attached Thumbnails
EXAMM Report Card-copy-hhhhhh.jpg  

Old 29th June 2010, 12:08   #33
Senior - BHPian

Guys...we were just happy that everyone made it down without any major incidents. This isn't a "contest" or an effort in one-upmanship. So many variables here like tire pressure, weight in the car, weight distribution, clutch condition etc. Please don't get into heated arguments about the right/wrong way to take the descent. Us poor Gypsy guys have only 1 option = 1 Low at high speed with brake tapping like a manual ABS.

Old 29th June 2010, 12:15   #34
BHPian

Accelerate while going down!!

@Sharath, Cannot comment on the gear to use in a particular terrain without physically being there , but the trick is not to get the wheel locked either by braking or nearly stopping them by using 1st low.So when ever you feel that you are about to slide, just give a little throttle so that the wheel won't get locked.
Also when in 1st low stead of using 2nd low, you have the option of reducing the speed just by releasing the accelerator, while in 2nd low you may have to brake.
jack33 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2010, 13:08   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Guys...we were just happy that everyone made it down without any major incidents. This isn't a "contest" or an effort in one-upmanship. So many variables here like tire pressure, weight in the car, weight distribution, clutch condition etc. Please don't get into heated arguments about the right/wrong way to take the descent. Us poor Gypsy guys have only 1 option = 1 Low at high speed with brake tapping like a manual ABS.

GS this is not an argument as long as things are civil. I believe that people here are open to criticism and are always on the pathway to learning. Its when learning stops, that ego grows, and you have a much bigger problem in your hands.

Let us discuss this in detail, it will be a lesson for the future.
Old 29th June 2010, 13:25   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett_t16 View Post
the trail was unbelievable, had loads of fun.
will post pictures tomorrow,dont have the energy to type more,very exhausted.
this was one of the best otr's ever.

crashing for now !
cheers !
Thanks a lot for all your help buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Back after 3 days of rampant oversteer, destructive descents and asphyxiating ascents. Pics and Videos to follow with a report.
Thanks a lot for all your help buddy, we will meet soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Just back from EXAMM. I think the paper was good and mix of easy and hard questions mixed well. Only thing it was to long. Good to see so many people clearing it with FLYING COLOURS!
Hope you enjoyed. it was our pleasure to have you guys there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
3 days of madness, steep climbs, super slippery slopy descents, slush bath, mud pits, sudden drifts etc etc etc...

braved the sun enjoyed the rains, met quite a few and now can place the faces alongside their TBhp Handles.

The vehicle line up was awesome, a visual treat.

Exhausted? Yes. Would i do it again? Yes, Of Course.

Cheers.
you performed really well in your first big OTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi View Post
Amazing & well organized event. Great Show guys!
Keep it up!
Thanks, and thanks for your participation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Cyrus, Sharath,
I realised that it was a rather inappropriate time and place for the leg-raising but I guess it happened on just the 3rd obstacle of my first OTR and I didn't realize I could have made it worse for myself.

Nevertheless, am wiser now and realize it was wrong but it sure was scary

Unfortunately the video attached here does not capture the side slide because of some bushes in the viewing angle.

YouTube - The 540 Descent-aka-Slide!

Was an awesome experience meeting you guys and look forward to seeing you again in future OTRs.
this was scary, it was you first OTR so you aer bound to do some mistakes.. you will learn after couple of tilts

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
A Great Trail, great people, a great opportunity of making great new friends and a great learning experience. Thats how EXAMM was for me. The turn out was huge. The organizers will be able to fill you out on the exact number.

The trail was great. steep, steep inclines, 4X4 bashing, articulation testing, mud sliding, slush fest terrain. What can i say more. For a first time event, the organizers did a super job. The great locations turned breath taking on account of the rain and fog.

Our convoy consisted of 2 CJ3Bs (Soumya's-with Prasad) and mine-with Jignesh and Cyrus), one GPW (UBS and team), one Gypsy (Alok aka Desmocidici) and one Thar (Behrambhai) reached Lonavala at Tiger point, a little over one hour above the scheduled time. Fog, refueling (car and man) was the cause. Actually the Gypsy and the Thar left from Mcdonald's Panvel with us but must have reached Lonavala way ahead of us three, for reasons not unknown

Fog had set in and at Lion's point there was a huge line up of 4X4's dominated by Mahindra vehicles (what else did you expect?).

Attachment 376623
Attachment 376624
Attachment 376625
Attachment 376626
Attachment 376627
Attachment 376661

Badges and stickers were handed out to participants, rules explained and disclaimer forms signed. from there on it was follow the car ahead of you. Met up again with Guru (GSferrari), Khan Sultan and a lot of old friends.

Attachment 376629
Attachment 376628
Attachment 376630

Soumya (Genesis) smiles after some crisp hot corn bhajjia and tea. Great looking vehicle which would prove its mettle in the coming days

Attachment 376631

The CJ3B team. Only three of them were Hurricane powered, Soumya's DKG's and Mine

Attachment 376632

Got a chance to meet Jaggu, Samurai, DKG, Khan Sultan and so many others, some of whom you have met and most of whom you have never met before. This was an opportunity to put faces to the names. People you have been interacting on the forum for various reasons, people who have become part of your virtual life, people whom you joke with and interact with on the net but people whom you have not personally met. Funny but so true.

The first obstacle course, a mild descent down the trodden path onto the slippery grass and rock strewn terrain,

Attachment 376663
Attachment 376662

slipping below to a sort of a deep chasm,

Attachment 376664
Attachment 376665
Attachment 376667

to make ones way, articulating around the bend in the chasm

Attachment 376666
Attachment 376668

and a sharp turned climb back to the grassy terrain.

Attachment 376669

This was a hard core Jeep obstacle and i dont think any Gypsy could get around completing it. Please correct me if im wrong. Even the MMs and the lot had a tough time completing it. I saw very few clear this at one go, besides the three Hurricane powered CJ's and the Qualis engined FJ from Hyderabad. In fact the FJ made it look so easy, as if there was no obstacle at all.

more........ soon.....

Gogi thanks for your help throughout the event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Power View Post
Finally the EXAMM is over and I am back to my normal work, but sadly without my vehicle; probably broken all the gears of transfer case in my gypsy.
Thanks to Mahindra Guys for towing me all the way from Sawarsi to Mumbai.

EXAMM & AKC had everything to offer, right from climbs, hill driving, mud, slush & crazy descents.

The terrain was very nicely selected; the EXAM syllabus was mainly Hilly Terrain of Sahyadri Mountains where AKC was at foothills of Sahyadri Mountains, so in three days everyone got the chance to test their machines in Hills & River beds, really appreciable, good show organizers.

Few satellite shots below to give you an idea of the terrain

EXAMM (Day 1) – Route & Waypoints
Attachment 376702
AKC (Day 2) - Route & Waypoints
Attachment 376703
Drive from AKC to Sawarsi. -Route & Waypoints
Attachment 376704
SAWARSI (Day 3) – Waypoints (Sorry forgot to save the Route)
Attachment 376705
Enjoy the terrain, pics will follow soon.

Cheers!

Alok
Dude do i need to thank you?? na be ready for next one.. you have been a great help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
Was really excited about My first OTR, but learnt a good lesson , never fix what's working fine.My gypsy broke down , I missed the entire lonavla trail, wish i'd missed the lunch too.
Dhanya gave me a drive back to my Gypsy thanks to her I could get it fixed in time .

The Sawarsi trail was super, I did almost all the obstacles , and also did a decent,so i am over that fear, now for a more extreme one..Thanks to UBS sir for sitting with me through it.
Allan Tejas Devang and Mohan you guys are really good at organizing , all the back stage effort is applauded ,
Manan, Misal and harshXX you guys are a fun bunch ,
Also colonel (whats the name and handle ) you are brilliant at directing . You get me out sir.
Arka you are a great motivator.
dude your performed really well just that your vehilce didnt support you.. better luck next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I am not into ratios and numbers. And I am not an expert. But I believe in common sense.

More momentum (2 Low) + Gravity downhill + slippery terrain + longer terrain + lower crawl ratio = more speed = more jumpiness = lesser time to correct steering = more dangerous.

Did you see MP Sreenivasan tackle the climb down? He did it right after you. He did it in 1st Low, gave the right steering inputs, and **probably** tapped the brakes (no de-clutch) where required (tap-release-tap-release) so as to not lock the wheels or stall the engine. He did it the best out of the lot - none of the others came even remotely close to the skill he exhibited.

Was your 45 degree climb in your backyard as "long" as this one? The longer and steeper it is, the faster the momentum - dont you agree?

Anyway, you survived with the poor owner for another trail.

Peace :-)

** = to be confirmed by MP Sir.
I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma9292 View Post
Amazing . THis is one EXAMM which everyone will like . And hey Devang has your MONSTAR gone the SPOA way
Ya buddy SPOA performed really well, we have taken some articulation pics.. hope it will be posted.

Last edited by pdev29 : 29th June 2010 at 13:28.
Old 29th June 2010, 13:28   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giri Tirumale View Post
Had a good time at both the EXAMM events.
Was a long drive back to Bangalore.
Giri

Welcome to the forum Giri. Glad you enjoyed. The pic is amazing! Do post more pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
GS this is not an argument as long as things are civil. I believe that people here are open to criticism and are always on the pathway to learning. Its when learning stops, that ego grows, and you have a much bigger problem in your hands.

Let us discuss this in detail, it will be a lesson for the future.
I agree.

Mine was the lead car and i went down boringly slow in 1st low. Agreed, the terrain was virgin then but it was still slippery. Also, i don't understand why steering inputs were required? The path i took was absolutely straight and only once you reached the base which was only 15-20 degree incline, did you need to steer slightly to the right to approach the slushy part of the next obstacle.
Also, although this descent was long, it wasn't as steep as the AKC one (which was shorter in comparison though). Here i was in the batch of the last 6 cars that went down and i again crawled very boringly in 1st low.

My Jeep has 4.88 ratio.
Old 29th June 2010, 13:29   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack33 View Post
@Sharath, Cannot comment on the gear to use in a particular terrain without physically being there , but the trick is not to get the wheel locked either by braking or nearly stopping them by using 1st low.So when ever you feel that you are about to slide, just give a little throttle so that the wheel won't get locked.
Also when in 1st low stead of using 2nd low, you have the option of reducing the speed just by releasing the accelerator, while in 2nd low you may have to brake.
+1. The slope could be done both in 1st and 2nd low.
Old 29th June 2010, 13:35   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post

Mine was the lead car and i went down boringly slow in 1st low. Agreed, the terrain was virgin then but it was still slippery. Also, i don't understand why steering inputs were required? The path i took was absolutely straight and only once you reached the base which was only 15-20 degree incline, did you need to steer slightly to the right to approach the slushy part of the next obstacle.

My Jeep has 4.88 ratio.
Can we have some pictures of your Classic with the new cage and 31". Searched both threads did not find a single picture.
Old 29th June 2010, 14:08   #40
Senior - BHPian

Organizers and Participants of this event, congratulations!
You could ask for nothing more than what you got.

Fantastic location, awesome weather, great turnout, camaraderie in tons. No idea why but I had a feeling all through, that it would be a very memorable time there.

The impromptu challenges thrown up by the wet weather only added to the degree of difficulty in a very well chosen terrain.

Don't know what to relish when I see the photographs and videos.... the terrain, the weather, the turnout, the bonding....ah! that reminds me,, not seen any photographs of food anywhere??? Surely somebody will do a detailed write up with photographs I hope.

As apologized to the organizers at the start of this thread that I missed out being there due to my commitments. In 2011, I sure hope and pray to be there to meet friends and also ride in the beautiful location.

Regards,

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 29th June 2010 at 14:09.
Old 29th June 2010, 14:08   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Can we have some pictures of your Classic with the new cage and 31". Searched both threads did not find a single picture.
Don't have too many since i was the lead car and thus there was no one ahead of me to click pics. Have tons of pics of the event. Posting them slowly. There are a few of my Classic interspersed.

Image courtesy: Mohit Kohok.
Attached Thumbnails
EXAMM Report Card-img_4907.jpg  

EXAMM Report Card-img_4908.jpg  

EXAMM Report Card-img_4910.jpg  

EXAMM Report Card-img_4912.jpg  

EXAMM Report Card-img_4914.jpg  

EXAMM Report Card-img_4915.jpg  

EXAMM Report Card-img_4918.jpg  

EXAMM Report Card-img_4920.jpg  

EXAMM Report Card-img_4922.jpg  

EXAMM Report Card-img_4923.jpg  

Old 29th June 2010, 14:11   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

I have detailed pictures of Tejas's classic - especially of the roll cage. Will get them posted tonight.

Unfortunately that was all the time I had to take snaps. Nothing more.
Old 29th June 2010, 14:33   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Organizers and Participants of this event, congratulations!
You could ask for nothing more than what you got.

Fantastic location, awesome weather, great turnout, camaraderie in tons. No idea why but I had a feeling all through, that it would be a very memorable time there.

The impromptu challenges thrown up by the wet weather only added to the degree of difficulty in a very well chosen terrain.

Don't know what to relish when I see the photographs and videos.... the terrain, the weather, the turnout, the bonding....ah! that reminds me,, not seen any photographs of food anywhere??? Surely somebody will do a detailed write up with photographs I hope.

As apologized to the organizers at the start of this thread that I missed out being there due to my commitments. In 2011, I sure hope and pray to be there to meet friends and also ride in the beautiful location.

Regards,
Thanks. Hope to see you next year sir.

Well, frankly food was a little bit of an issue on day 1. We had outsourced the lunch to a third party and well, it was not upto the mark. My sincere apologies to all. The food consisted of rice, potato sabji, dal & chicken gravy.
Attached Thumbnails
EXAMM Report Card-img_4924.jpg  

EXAMM Report Card-img_4930.jpg  

EXAMM Report Card-img_4931.jpg  

EXAMM Report Card-img_4933.jpg  

EXAMM Report Card-img_4934.jpg  

EXAMM Report Card-img_4940.jpg  

EXAMM Report Card-img_4946.jpg  

EXAMM Report Card-img_4957.jpg  

EXAMM Report Card-img_4967.jpg  

EXAMM Report Card-img_4968.jpg  

Old 29th June 2010, 14:44   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

More pics. Can't post more at one time, thus back to back posts.
Attached Thumbnails
EXAMM Report Card-img_4974.jpg  

EXAMM Report Card-img_4990.jpg  

EXAMM Report Card-img_5003.jpg  

EXAMM Report Card-img_5033.jpg  

EXAMM Report Card-img_52371.jpg  

EXAMM Report Card-12.jpg  

EXAMM Report Card-09.jpg  

EXAMM Report Card-13.jpg  

EXAMM Report Card-15.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 29th June 2010, 15:07   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

More photos from various participants via FB.
Attached Thumbnails
EXAMM Report Card-16.jpg  

EXAMM Report Card-17.jpg  

EXAMM Report Card-18.jpg  

EXAMM Report Card-20.jpg  

EXAMM Report Card-21.jpg  

EXAMM Report Card-22.jpg  

EXAMM Report Card-23.jpg  

EXAMM Report Card-24.jpg  

EXAMM Report Card-25.jpg  

EXAMM Report Card-26.jpg  

Most Viewed