Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2010, 13:41   #31
Senior - BHPian

sharath brilliant write up and some excellent photographs. You know such photographs takes the experience to a whole new level for lesser mortals like me who never can get to see the action in person (PS : No offense to anyone who posted the report and pictures on the other EXAMM thread). I gotto admit that I love this man's narration skills and how each situation is supported by pics. Good going monsieur.

Quote:
He says this is an ecological disaster. Being in the center of Western Ghats, this area should have had rich wildlife. However, humans have encroached too deep and taken over every water hole in the area. When the animals come to the water hole, they are hunted down for loitering near human habitat. At this rate Western Ghats won’t be left with any wildlife in near future.
True to every bit and looks like namma karnataka isn't too far behind in this. A quick look around the chikmagalur mountain ranges and its the same scene over there too.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 13th July 2010 at 13:42.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2010, 15:05   #32
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Sharath for making me relive the Examm again. Your photographic and writing skills are not in any way wanting, as compared to your excellent spotting skills. Thanks for spotting for me on many an occasion. It was a pleasure to learn from you and many others.

Keep the pics and writing coming..!!
Old 13th July 2010, 15:28   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
(PS : No offense to anyone who posted the report and pictures on the other EXAMM thread). I gotto admit that I love this man's narration skills and how each situation is supported by pics. Good going monsieur.
Why do you think we youngsters are keeping quite? When ol man sings, just listen!

I wish Samurai comes as passenger every time with his cam kit, so that i can sit back on my lazy bum and enjoy the reports, instead of getting abuses from these nut case offroader's.

Samusan please kill the suspense!!!
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2010, 17:13   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Awesome Thread. This is something that I will be sending to some of my friends when they want to see what I did that glorious weekend.
Thanks Cyrus, it was very nice meeting your over the two days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
Boy, impatiance is setting in. I'm no offroader, but this thread has me hooked. Bring it on - write up, pics and all. And if nothing else, it's got me all excited about the Thar - Mahindra owes you for that.
Thanks, but sorry about the delay, work is keeping me busy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
What, oh what could it be? You seem to be taking Sam lessons, or is it the other way round? Suspense is killing me.
Similarity between me and Sam ends after the fact that we both wear boxers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Samurai, great great write up and a super way to build the tempo.
Thanks Tejas, the EXAMM/AKC event doesn't deserve anything less. So, I am taking my time and making sure the report is complete, at least of things I have witnessed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbas View Post
Wow great pictures and writeup samurai. I hope i make it to the next year's EXAMM slush/mud/river bashing party.
Thanks, prepare well for the EXAMM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
@Samurai / Sharath - I don't know why you feel so bad about the descent. It looked spectacular from below Seriously - you tried something you believed in and in these situations
I took lot of heat for this incident, hence the long explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
sharath brilliant write up and some excellent photographs. You know such photographs takes the experience to a whole new level for lesser mortals like me who never can get to see the action in person
Thanks Riju, you are no slouch yourself in photography and writing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Thanks Sharath for making me relive the Examm again.
Thanks Gogi, it was very nice to meet for real after knowing you for so long online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Why do you think we youngsters are keeping quite? When ol man sings, just listen!
What youngsters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I wish Samurai comes as passenger every time with his cam kit, so that i can sit back on my lazy bum and enjoy the reports, instead of getting abuses from these nut case offroader's.
You wish! My next event will be in my Jeep, I hope.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2010, 19:56   #35
Senior - BHPian

Sharath,
The close-ups... capturing greats in different moods was interesting,also the magnificent capture of the jeeps and the awesome, scenic backdrops.
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2010, 20:07   #36
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
While this fun was going on, Patrick quietly asks me whether I had looked at the tyres of Aditya’s Jeep. I say no, although I had started to get an idea while doing the rocky climb. Then Pat says if you had seen those tyres, you would have never driven it down, they were practically bald.

It is hard to make out anything under that muck, but yeah, it didn’t have much treads left.

Attachment 386723

But on the other hand, the technique I employed didn’t really rely on grippy tyres. In other words, coming down in 1st low in this tyre would have had me sliding down from the get go.
Sharath,

That's a picture of the Thar's Elanzos though I also agree that the slope of the descent and the momentum built up thereof wouldn't have been very favorable for any kind of tyres.

Great write up. Am reliving my first OTR thanks to you!

Cheers,
Adi
Old 13th July 2010, 20:24   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
That's a picture of the Thar's Elanzos though I also agree that the slope of the descent and the momentum built up thereof wouldn't have been very favorable for any kind of tyres.
Oops Adi! Sorry for the mistake, I put the right picture now.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2010, 20:26   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Sharath,

Ha, ha I was waiting for someone to catch that error! The much debated SFRA is an immediate give away. Well done AVR.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2010, 14:00   #39
BHPian

Is DKG's jeep having power tiller tyres?
Old 15th July 2010, 13:47   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-nav View Post
Is DKG's jeep having power tiller tyres?
They are tractor tyres from a company in Jullunder (i think) called Speedways. They also make NDMS and all sorts of tyres for offroad vehicles and other tyres too.
V-16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2010, 13:52   #41
BHPian

awesome right up. i query, why are some of the fog lights angled at funny angles? Is it to protect them?
scarecrow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2010, 14:26   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow View Post
awesome right up. i query, why are some of the fog lights angled at funny angles? Is it to protect them?
Naah... they just got loose.
Old 16th July 2010, 09:32   #43
BHPian

Would like to know from DKG and all other witnesses to DKG's , how was the performance of his jeep-tractor tyres as compared to other jeep tyres like NDMS, AT/MT etc in slush,climbing,rockface and other multi-angled challenges.

Regards
Andy
Grace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2010, 14:34   #44
Senior - BHPian

I think thos tyers on DKG's Jeep performed flawless. it was too good but i think its not drivable on road at all. Deepak can share his view on this.
pdev29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2010, 16:16   #45
BHPian

Great pix and report. Felt like I was there. Looks like Thar is very capable compared to similar off roaders. I hope M&M get the price of Thar right.

An ardent request to M&M. Please maintain quality while building the Thar. At least like older MM540. I mean the overall body quality. It should be rough & tough. I have seen a gradual deterioration of built quality from my older GLX to my new VLX and M&M is proud that its the highest selling UV.

And finally just curious about the tech spec on the FJ. Engine / bhp / torque
rockyb is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed