Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2010, 13:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010

X : Dont try it... its too slushy now

Y : Lets give it a shot...

A few minutes later -

1 CJ340 tries to recover the sunk ship - no luck

1 MM540 in tandem with 1 Landy - No luck

1 FORD tractor - (some luck, 1% of the Jeep came out) - result Broken Rear Bumper (along with the pintle hook)

A hour (nearly) later

Y, X, @,#,%,^ Et all --- Ok, get the L&T Komatsu over...

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-lt.jpg
Old 12th July 2010, 15:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

EnRoute Story and the 1st Obstacle

By 06:45 all the Jeeps, Gypsy and Landy were at the meeting point and Dwarak was there in his 500CC mini Rocket...

After a few pics, we pushed off towards Kanakpura. Enroute we stopped for a delicious breakfast of Thatte Idly, Pooris, Vadas and Chitranna...

At Kanakpura, we had to leave a Petrol CJ3B back with a mechanic for a Broken Alternator Clamp. It was welded on the way, but broke again. Then we headed to the base camp Village...

It was a rocky obstacle, which the Landy could not do for many reasons. We decided to abandon that route due to high public presence and push deeper thru normal mud trail...

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-p7110232.jpg

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-p7110231.jpg

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-p7110229.jpg

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-p7110228.jpg

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-p7110227.jpg

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-p7110233.jpg
Old 12th July 2010, 15:51   #3
BHPian

Santosh: You people had a good time. keep em coming, let the pictures Roll.

I will surely join you Guys next time. My gypsy is fit now. Before another OTR is planned, i just want to finish of first 3k run in 40Km/Hr speed as the engine is Rebored.

Regards,
Krishna Thanthri

Last edited by krishnathanthri : 12th July 2010 at 15:53.
Old 12th July 2010, 15:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

After finishing the ~3Km mud road, we ended up at the base of a big rock mountain. At its bottom was a rock crushing factory which seemed quiet on a sunday... They had a few trucks, tractors, many workers enjoying their quiet weekend off. Amidst them were two yellow 50 foot high monstors sleeping peacefully...

Roby Aka Robinson.S was our Lead Jeep for the day. Superb Vehicle and great driver behind the wheel.

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-leading-group.jpg

My CJ...

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-starting-point.jpg

Landy waiting its turn.

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-1.jpg

The monsoons had helped this wonderful flower in the remotest of the places...

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-lotus.jpg

The entry to the climb was a descent (what a oxymoron) - a short descent from the starting point left you at the base of the TALL rock mountain.

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-crawl-down1.jpg

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-crawl-down2.jpg

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-crawl-down3.jpg

Meanwhile Roby had powered away to find the trail

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-robin-crawl-up2.jpg

Meanwhile the group were coming down the starting point...

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-group.jpg

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-group1.jpg

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-wolf-coming-down.jpg

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-group2.jpg

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-peted.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-robin-crawl-up1.jpg  

Last edited by svsantosh : 12th July 2010 at 15:58.
Old 12th July 2010, 16:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Water body on the top

When we scaled to the top of the mountain, we saw a beautiful little water body. It was full of life inside it (I saw a large Coral like structure), lot of lilly leaves were around.

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-lotus-pond.jpg

Gypsy at the pond side

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-gypsy-pond.jpg

CJ Overlooking the Quarry

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-quarry.jpg

The Closeup of the best part of the day

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-quarry-closeup.jpg

Wolf's 540 and my CJ

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-parking-cj-wolf.jpg

Roby found a better parking spot

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-roby-edge.jpg

Reflections...

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-reflections....jpg

The lake next to Quarry where we planned some mud plugging...

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-lake-next-quarry.jpg

Sadly, our children may not have this mountain in a few decades to come...

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-mountain-eater.jpg

Oh and I forgot, Jammy joined us in a 540. The clutch cable broke down and he was down there the whole morning till we scaled down, successfully fixing it.

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-jammy-break-down.jpg

Gypsy overlooking the scenery

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-gypsy-joins-roby.jpg

The countryside was a pleasent site to watch from up there

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-beautiful-countryside.jpg
Old 12th July 2010, 17:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

Good starter Santosh. Where are others, not reporting yet?

The spot was good outing, but not challenging though. We could not get approach to trails up there. Else, would have been great OTR for sure.

Verdict: Good spot for night OTR and camping.
Old 12th July 2010, 17:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

Santosh, once again, Kudos to the teaser (1st post) below...man you have mastered the art. Is it spontaneous or do you think of it for several hours before it goes out??

Status: Me, still recovering from dehydration and sleeplessness...

OTR: Good fun!

Highlight: Got to meet some great folks.

Dwarak, Kitti, Robinson, Rajesh, Santosh.....love you guys, learnt a lot from you...

Special thanks to Dwarak sir for calling this one!!!

Terrain: Mild to moderately challenging but the quary top with the rainbow around the sun was a sight to behold. Absolutely loved it...

Some photos;
Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-p1.jpg

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-x2.jpg

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-x3.jpg

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-x4.jpg

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-x5.jpg

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-x7.jpg

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-x8.jpg

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-x9.jpg

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-x10.jpg

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-x11.jpg

Last edited by The Wolf : 12th July 2010 at 17:50.
Old 12th July 2010, 18:32   #8
Senior - BHPian

More photos with tags...
Me calling for help...hehe
Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-x12.jpg

Robin and his spoils...err I mean real spoils!!!
Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-x15.jpg

Tasting a chocolate donut...
Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-x13.jpg

Depth of our success measured in feet, literally!
Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-x16.jpg

My friend Naved_Speed, attending his first OTR, trying to look good for a photo on Tbhp!
Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-x14.jpg

My other friend Fahad (Gray on Tbhp), looks at the point where Dwaraka sir was stanging, high up on the cliff...
Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-x19.jpg

Rajesh finds a watering hole... while Robin, in the next photo below>>
Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-x17.jpg
>>finds the SWEETEST damn spot. I heard something like "I am the king of the world"!!! He was comfortable there knowing very well that thats one spot cops wont fine him for parking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-x20.jpg

Last edited by The Wolf : 12th July 2010 at 18:42.
Old 12th July 2010, 19:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Dwarak - I think you were the only person who captured most of the pics. My ShotGun catchkumar could not get more i think. Put it up on Picasa, I will continue my story.

Kumar - Mail me the vids, can you? PM'd you my personal ID.
Old 12th July 2010, 20:44   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Dwarak - I think you were the only person who captured most of the pics. My ShotGun catchkumar could not get more i think. Put it up on Picasa, I will continue my story.

Kumar - Mail me the vids, can you? PM'd you my personal ID.
Hi Santosh & all,
Sorry about the delay, the connection @ home is very slow. Will push all the pics & videos to you tomorrow don't forget to keep the commentary flowing.

This is one memorable OTR with loads of fun.

Regards,
Kumar
Old 12th July 2010, 20:46   #11
BHPian

Thanks to Dwarak for yet another wonderful OTR.

The terrain was good. It makes for a great night camping spot.
As usual, we were on time. Met some old hogs and new faces. After the initial hi - hello we started towards kanakapura town. Stopped en route for some breakfast and assembled at the town market. Meanwhile jammy (mm440) arrived at the scene. Its been long time since i have seen jammy in action.
A few minutes later, we started towards the terrain.

An initial challenge made us change the track. So, we started towards the hills in the horizon.

The country side is beautiful here. We moved in a convoy and reached the spot. Its a small hill with a good incline. I believe Robinson is the first to start. One after other, every one started the incline. The top is a flat piece of rock with a naturally formed pond. After a quick break we started moving towards the other hill.
There is one place where every one assembled to duscuss the next plan of action. It is a real tricky place. There are big rocks and a need a tricky manouvers to come out clean. Else, the vehicle can sit ducks. The body can get a scar and what not. After exploring the spot on legs, dwarak and gang decided to give it a miss.

The next is to climb another hill which is even more steeper. Most vehicles can do it, but the driver needs to be vigilant. This needs the right momentum and some leg work to keep the vehicle on dot. There was some water on the way to this climb. Everyone except the landy could do it. Landy was full on air in its mudzillas. It was slipping on the rocks. Sireesh was reluctant to reduce the pressure because in his idea, it doesnt help a new mudzilla tyre any better. The threads would still slip on the rocks due to water. After a few attempts, it developed some starter relay problem and we had to lock it up and move ahead on tirumal's jeep.

Ha, the experience of hitching a ride on tirumal's jeep is some thing to be experienced. If you are a first timer to OTR's and if your first jeep ride is on his jeep, you better come wearing a diaper. Shitting in the pants comes true. Thats the reason he had laminated his front seats i guess.

For the oldies, it was a piece of cake. The fun part is about getting to meet those old friends and some new ones too. Like any sport this sport also teaches Team Work and what not. When some one gets stuck, recovery techniques come pouring from all directions. Forget the gang, even the local villagers join in. This thing teaches Patience. This sport teaches tactics. If it doesnt work this way, then lets try the other.
The most important of all is the EGO massage. Yes, We might think that the recovery guys are making a biiig mistake and dash towards the lead guy and bully our idea only to be brushed aside. No tantrums. If at all there are any, it lasts only till the recovery.
Anyways, i cut the crap and present you the snaps of the day.

SV Santhosh and CatchKumar at the initial meeting point. We were the first to arrive even after Santosh's city bus err jeep picked us up from different locations in the city.
Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-001.jpg

Meeting point at kanakapura town.
Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-002.jpg

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-003.jpg

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-004.jpg

Jammy in action.

Name:  005.JPG
Views: 1361
Size:  163.0 KB

Jammy taking on the first rock.

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-006.jpg

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-007.jpg

After a few tries, we started towards the terrain in the horizon.
Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-008.jpg

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-009.jpg

Start of the terrain. This is the initial rock climb

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-011.jpg

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-012.jpg

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-013.jpg
Robinson taking the lead.
Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-014.jpg

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-015.jpg

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-016.jpg
Santosh next,
Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-017.jpg
Wolfy
Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-019.jpg
Rajesh Narayan
Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-020.jpg

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-021.jpg

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-022.jpg

Mission accomplished

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-023.jpg

Landy next
Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-024.jpg

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-025.jpg
Tirumal follows.
Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-026.jpg

Name:  027.JPG
Views: 1274
Size:  168.6 KB

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-028.jpg
View from the top.
Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-029.jpg

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-030.jpg

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-031.jpg

photos follows...
Old 12th July 2010, 21:01   #12
BHPian

Time for some mission accomplished moments. Tirumal in white and santosh in the front.
Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-032.jpg
Robin, Rajesh and company.
Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-033.jpg

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-034.jpg
Ravi's new gypsy.

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-035.jpg
Time for the next obstacle.
Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-036.jpg
Bush massage anyone ?
Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-037.jpg
Lineup for the second one.
Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-038.jpg

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-039.jpg
Dwarak involved in charting out the new path.
Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-040.jpg
The initial plan was to go thru this part. This was later abandoned by public demand.
Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-041.jpg
Dwarak and catch kumar busy discussing the next plan of action
Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-042.jpg
The second hill climb. A little steep but doable.
Notice the wet rocks around. This is where landy slipped.
Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-043.jpg

Of Jeep's, Gypsy, Landy and a L&T Komatsu - OTR/Recee (Off Kanakpura) - 11Jul2010-044.jpg

Shall get the next set of photos.
This is where the whole action of the day was.

Regards,
Krishna.
Old 12th July 2010, 21:09   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnathanthri View Post
i just want to finish of first 3k run in 40Km/Hr speed as the engine is Rebored.

Unless the bore is super tight, why would you want to do this?! 1k of sedate rpms and then start raising the bar! You dont want a tight engine with makes power only at a particular RPM for OTR's, do you?
Old 12th July 2010, 21:39   #14
Senior - BHPian

Kittigadu, Nice write up. Pictures are very taletelling.

Will post pics tommorrow
Old 12th July 2010, 23:19   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
X : Dont try it... its too slushy now

Y : Lets give it a shot...

A few minutes later -

1 CJ340 tries to recover the sunk ship - no luck

1 MM540 in tandem with 1 Landy - No luck

1 FORD tractor - (some luck, 1% of the Jeep came out) - result Broken Rear Bumper (along with the pintle hook)

A hour (nearly) later

Y, X, @,#,%,^ Et all --- Ok, get the L&T Komatsu over...

Attachment 386062
I guess this will be the first OTR write up, start with a picture of L&T earth mover instead of a jeep.
Good one man.

Dwarak Sir, Thanks for organizing this event. Had lots of fun on the track and meeting all new faces.

Looking forwards for more such short events.
Regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks