Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2011, 10:05   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner Boot Camp

^^:

Pls ask them to CHANGE ALLl under body rubber boots for your benefit!

A slight tear in one is enough to cause nightmares at a later stage
Old 11th August 2011, 01:11   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
^^:

could you please elaborate as to what kind of nightmares can one envisage?
That post of yours got me worried.
Old 11th August 2011, 09:31   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
could you please elaborate as to what kind of nightmares can one envisage?
That post of yours got me worried.
Drive shafts - CV joints and associated gear could go for a six because of rubber boot cracks!
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2011, 10:30   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
^^:

This might sound novice but can you please let me know what is the under body rubber boots? or are they know by this name itself? Should I just ask the Toyota Engineer to change it? Having knowledge about it would help me understand better. I am on an slow learning curve on the mechanism of the cars(I belong to a non mechanical non technical background)
Old 12th August 2011, 12:18   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's the link to the autocar coverage of the bootcamp:
Toyota Fortuner Boot Camp Mumbai | Autocar India
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2011, 00:21   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl
Here's the link to the autocar coverage of the bootcamp:
Toyota Fortuner Boot Camp Mumbai | Autocar India
Thanks Tejas.
Seems like they've included most of the clippings from the 1st day of the boot camp.
The 2nd day, it rained lots, they had better shots of the Forts drifting and taking on the obstacles.

Last edited by Monaro CV8 : 18th August 2011 at 00:24.
Old 26th August 2011, 15:28   #52
BHPian

I had given my car for servicing after the Boot Camp and got a sad news: There is a damage to the front right arm and Camber Bolt. This would need total replacement of the Left Arm and Some welding to be done. Approx cost Rs 20K. Also I got the whole under body cleaned using water pressure, But there are areas in the engine bay area which still are dirty. Can someone please guide me as to how should I clean it?
Old 26th August 2011, 21:41   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiosity View Post
I had given my car for servicing after the Boot Camp and got a sad news: There is a damage to the front right arm and Camber Bolt. This would need total replacement of the Left Arm and Some welding to be done. Approx cost Rs 20K. Also I got the whole under body cleaned using water pressure, But there are areas in the engine bay area which still are dirty. Can someone please guide me as to how should I clean it?
Sorry to hear about that. Will you need to pay anything from your own pocket? Ideally, you shouldn't have to - you participated in a company event. If they create issues, write to them, or post on the Toyota Fortuner Facebook page.

Any idea how it happened e.g. did you run into anything, or get into a ditch at speed?

Call Toyota and tell them that you are not happy with cleaning. They will probably ask you to bring back your vehicle again after a few days, and then clean it properly. Else, you can try to clean the bay yourself.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 26th August 2011 at 21:48.
Old 26th August 2011, 22:00   #54
Senior - BHPian

I had held two such events to launch the FJ Cruiser and Landcruiser 200 for Toyota in Dubai, perhaps they would do it in North India as well.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp untitled.bmp (900.1 KB, 440 views)

Last edited by desertfox : 26th August 2011 at 22:04.
Old 26th August 2011, 22:46   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Sorry to hear about that. Will you need to pay anything from your own pocket? Ideally, you shouldn't have to - you participated in a company event. If they create issues, write to them, or post on the Toyota Fortuner Facebook page.

Any idea how it happened e.g. did you run into anything, or get into a ditch at speed?

Call Toyota and tell them that you are not happy with cleaning. They will probably ask you to bring back your vehicle again after a few days, and then clean it properly. Else, you can try to clean the bay yourself.
Thank You Nilanjan, The dealer is not aware about it and I am yet not clear if they would require me to pay for it. I am going to contact Toyota in a day or two. Let me see how it goes. I will keep posting about the updates.

It was a normal event, and I do not remember getting into any ditch at a speed. My only concern is that the Company and other officials had confirmed that the course has been designed to show the strengths of the vehicle and that it would not cause any issue to the car as the car can take it. Now I have my reservations, If I was even slightly aware that there are chances of any damage, I would not have gone ahead with the event. Slight dirt n all is acceptable, but underbody damage is not acceptable.

Regarding the cleaning at the dealers end, well they were very helpful in cleaning the underbody and when I requested about cleaning the engine bay and various rubber pipes etc. they informed that they are not supposed to clean the engine bay area using pressure pipe. As I am a total newbie at all this I agreed with them, But can you please clarify if this is the case. If so how should I clean it. I would prefer to have it as clean as possible and I am ready to do it myself if the case may be.

Also what are the underbody rubber boots as 'headers' mentioned in his post above(Post No. 46)? Thanks again.
Old 27th August 2011, 10:17   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiosity
Hi curiosity,
That's bad news.

1. Did u brisk through the obstacle course rather than crawling through it ?
2. Have you driven your car on any other off road surface after the camp?
3. You've mentioned in your previous post that your dealer is yet to know about your car's misfortune, then how did you come to the conclusion that your Lower ARM is busted and needs replacement. Please get your car checked at the SC to verify your observations.

Mate I ask these questions because I had quite a few runs with my Truck on the obstacle course at the boot camp - 2 runs on the small track and 2 on the big one. Plus I was drifting real heavy on the slushy corners too.
Apart from the mud, all I had to attend to was getting the wheel alignment for my car.

Kindly do keep us updated.
Good luck mate.
Old 27th August 2011, 12:35   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
Hi curiosity,
That's bad news.

1. Did u brisk through the obstacle course rather than crawling through it ?
2. Have you driven your car on any other off road surface after the camp?
3. You've mentioned in your previous post that your dealer is yet to know about your car's misfortune, then how did you come to the conclusion that your Lower ARM is busted and needs replacement. Please get your car checked at the SC to verify your observations.

Mate I ask these questions because I had quite a few runs with my Truck on the obstacle course at the boot camp - 2 runs on the small track and 2 on the big one. Plus I was drifting real heavy on the slushy corners too.
Apart from the mud, all I had to attend to was getting the wheel alignment for my car.

Kindly do keep us updated.
Good luck mate.
Hi Monaco, Thanks for your wishes.

Answers to your questions(Hope they present a clearer picture) :
1) As I am a first timer in off-roading I was extra cautious and went as slow as possible. As per the trainer(Allan was with me) it was the perfect speed.
2) No off-road event after that.
3) I was getting noise from the front end of the car, like a squeaking sound, But I was not able to determine where it came from, so when I gave the car for the servicing, they informed me that they will check it and let me know where that sound is coming from. After checking they showed me the damage while my car was lifted on the ramp. I will post that image as soon as I get it. So the dealer is aware about it, what they are not aware about is that if they require me to pay for it or they would get it from Toyota. I think I cannot even claim insurance as this would go under the adventure activity thing .

Apart from this, I wanted to ask you how did you manage to clean the engine bay area? also what are these rubber boots that 'Headers' has mentioned. Thanks again!
Old 29th August 2011, 17:42   #58
bhp
BHPian

i think these parts must be covered under warranty...what does the dealer say ??
Old 29th August 2011, 18:04   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp View Post
i think these parts must be covered under warranty...what does the dealer say ??
Are they covered under warranty? I am not sure. The dealer definitely said that I would have to pay for the repairs/replacements.
Old 29th August 2011, 18:11   #60
bhp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiosity View Post
Are they covered under warranty? I am not sure. The dealer definitely said that I would have to pay for the repairs/replacements.
these are suspension parts...and toyota should replace them under warranty..
this was a event held by toyota for an offroading experience in a safe and guided enviroment.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks