TPC2010 -Event Report-pict0045.jpg  

TPC2010 -Event Report-pict0048.jpg  

TPC2010 -Event Report-pict0049.jpg  

Old 20th August 2010, 11:25   #167
Senior - BHPian

Blown Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Arrangements etc were really good, i dont have any doubts and would like to congratulate the O team again on this. Only the competition aspect was buggered up, honestly all the hype about the terrain was over blown.
Hi Jaggu,

I agree with you on the Terrain.

On this Moderate Terrain your Gypsy busted, the rear locker, Land-Rover Busted the Rear Diff Cross-Pin, Sean Hameed Bent the Front Housing in the Gypsy, Doc. Jones Busted his prop-shaft, Headers ripped his T-Case Mounts, PrabhuAV Stripped his Wheel Bolts, Sanjay David shattered his Front-Axle.........

This Happens on a Moderate Terrain, then what will happen when we start doing stretches which are known for damaging vehicles,

just to remind all this is ONLY SAND!!!!!!

Regards,

Arka

Last edited by ex670c : 20th August 2010 at 11:27. Reason: formatting
Old 20th August 2010, 12:07   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
....On this Moderate Terrain your Gypsy busted, the rear locker, Land-Rover Busted the Rear Diff Cross-Pin, Sean Hameed Bent the Front Housing in the Gypsy, Doc. Jones Busted his prop-shaft, Headers ripped his T-Case Mounts, PrabhuAV Stripped his Wheel Bolts, Sanjay David shattered his Front-Axle.........
That's says how badly we prepared/maintained our vehicles and not necessarily how tough the terrain was.
Each of these (and more) can happen in far far more easy trails. You yourself have broken your axle/spring perch etc in a seemingly very simple avalakonda mud climb. Does that make that climb tough?? NO, no way..

Quote:
This Happens on a Moderate Terrain, then what will happen when we start doing stretches which are known for damaging vehicles,
Next time PLEASE do it. It will be same for all competitors, so no worries at all.

Quote:
...just to remind all this is ONLY SAND!!!!!!
No worries -- as long as it is same for all competitors and you don't apply rules which turn out to favor certain teams.
Old 20th August 2010, 13:39   #169
Senior - BHPian

Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
That's says how badly we prepared/maintained our vehicles and not necessarily how tough the terrain was.
Each of these (and more) can happen in far far more easy trails. You yourself have broken your axle/spring perch etc in a seemingly very simple avalakonda mud climb. Does that make that climb tough?? NO, no way..

Next time PLEASE do it. It will be same for all competitors, so no worries at all.

No worries -- as long as it is same for all competitors and you don't apply rules which turn out to favor certain teams.
Hi Shahnawaz,

Avalakonda was definitely tough, even you busted your front leaf spring.

Is it sheer co-incidence every time things get rough you seem to be unprepared.

You came to to TPC2010 with a unprepared vehicle, well after the Reporting Deadline, Did not attend the Briefing and now you want to go on and on about the rules, which in the first case you made no effort to inform yourself about.

We will be prepared with the rules book, Please make sure you are prepared with your vehicle

Regards,

Arka
Old 20th August 2010, 14:30   #170
BHPian

Guys enough with this. Lets move on to the reports. I think everything that needs to be said her has been said. There is a separate thread for suggestions.

Khan, you have come out so strongly and vehemently that I feel you have some point to prove. Every time the discussion is about to die down, you start it up.

Knowing that you being a moderator and your stature, I'm surprised.
Old 20th August 2010, 15:06   #171
Senior - BHPian

Day-1 SS5 - A Report

This was the first time I would be setting up an SS so I decided to get a little innovative. I used the central road as a crossover point between various obstacles in the SS.

From the start line there is a steep climb with not much room on the top. Drivers have to negotiate a sharp left immediately after reaching the top. From here it is a blast across the flat to the first drop down. After the first drop there is a rutted run and a narrow passage to the 2nd climb without much run-up. Innovative drivers backed well up into the opposite bank to get more run up here. Immediately after you complete the 2nd climb there is a sharp turn right to make the flags for the dropoff. Over-zealous drivers who do not "walk" this obstacle end up in the deep rut on the left (from drivers view). This water-filled rut claimed Sunil Shetye and Vikram (headers) who both had to be towed out.

After the 2nd drop there is a short run-up and the 3rd climb back onto the road to the crossover point. A short drive on the road followed by a drop back down over to the other side. Quick blast across the flat avoiding water on the way to get to the 4th climb and 4th drop. Then we have a sandy rutted run to make the 5th climb.

Most people ended up losing time on Climb-1, Climb-3, Climb-5 and Drop-2.

From an organizer's standpoint this was a nightmare as the distance between starting point and the crossover point (Climb-3) was quite large. Both Organizers had to be deployed to man each end of the SS.

This also being the middle SS (5th out of 10) there was a HUGE pile-up mid-day when the red and blue teams both converged on my SS. Managing them was a difficult task (time-keeping and scoring).
Old 20th August 2010, 15:22   #172
Senior - BHPian

Day-2 SS-3 : A Report

My second attempt at an SS was more fun. I was dropped off at this hillock with two slush-pits. I decided that running around in the sun wasn't much fun so I built up the SS around the hill. Participants would line-up at the start, get out of their vehicles and meet me on top of the hill for the briefing. From here I would show them the entire SS. This was the ONLY way to reduce the overall running times. Had I adopted the traditional "Start first and then experience the SS on your clock" then teams would have been here for much too long for it to be practical. With my approach we all had fun at this SS.

The first obstacle is a drop into a waist-deep slush pit. The exit on the other end was a 30 degree climb back onto the road with no momentum and straight after exiting the slush. I expected this to be HUGELY difficult and was worried it would be impossible. Allan was the first to get stuck at this obstacle and for the first 5-6 teams, only 1 vehicle our of 3 made it through the first obstacle with most teams avoiding it altogether and skipping straight to the 2nd.

After rounding back to the starting point the 2nd obstacle is a climb along a narrow path with tree stumps and moderate articulation required in the middle of the climb. Nothing to difficult. The descent down and out of the 2nd obstacle caught a few people off-guard (as you may see from the videos with Vijay in the red gypsy needing a few helping hands).

After the 2nd descent I had initially planned a run across the knee-deep slush but Allan's team refused this obstacle so I decided to relocate the flags so the vehicles would only "skirt" this obstacle. In retrospect I should have stuck to my guns because it would have been more fun to run this 2nd slush pit especially since everyone is now complaining about how "EASY" TPC was...

After the run around the slush there is the 3rd climb up the hillock. From here it is a sharp left and 2 consecutive drops back down to ground level. Quick U-turn and another climb (4th) up onto a sandy berm. Another drop down through the 5th descent before a short bumpy run-up to the 5th climb and finish line.

Most drivers consumed their time on the 1st obstacle (slush pit), 3rd drop (tricky turn + descent) and the 5th climb which was frustratingly close to the finish!

This was a fun SS...I only wish there was more sand everywhere instead of the hard surface. I also wish I had forced the teams to run the second slush pit. Anyway...there is always TPC 2011 to come up with some more fun stuff!
Old 20th August 2010, 15:42   #173
Senior - BHPian

Nice images GS.

Day2 was relatively easier for us as the SS Radius was lesser than Day1.
In hindsight, yes, we should have kept the 2nd slush as it was as that was less deeper than the 1st entry point one, however post Allan, we decided not to have it. If Allan finds it difficult, maybe it will trap all other vehicles was our thinking and hence it was moved.

Personally, as a volunteer i would say, i didnt have much fun as all the time was spent in yelling and shouting to GS (who was too far and in his own world on Day1). By 4PM on Day1, i was dehydrated to the core and my head was spinning (that was when the vehicle pile up was still on). From early morning till evening, we didnt have any chat with anybody else that much as we had to man all the vehicles. Pretty Boring actually and those walkie talkies are not so great either as to know exactly what was happening at other SSs and get some updates.

I just wish the SSs would be much more closer, volunteers had additional vehciles (if possible) and if we had the SSs closer, we can make a switch post lunch and man other SSs. That would have been fun for us.

From a ease / difficulty perpective, i think its majorly the climate that plays havoc with both man and machine. Otherwise its a doable terrain but with some additional thinking caps put on.

Lots been already said regarding the rules so no point adding anything on that.
All i would say is the spirit with which this sport is done is amazing. I never expected to get to know so many people and make friends so i would say i am lucky i got introduced to this.

Cheers,
Raj
Old 20th August 2010, 15:42   #174
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I agree with you on the Terrain.
Nice sarcasm, if you had read the earlier post you will know why lockers busted (oh now that we know, its not busted also he he he) and it had nothing to do with terrain Palar was too kind to us atleast lol lol lol

Quote:
Avalakonda was definitely tough, even you busted your front leaf spring.
He DID NOT! I broke it! and it was CFL and that too old design, which was being tested. Still you have doubts? PM me and ill give you a challenge for your jeep and then report back what happens
Old 20th August 2010, 16:11   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post

From the start line there is a steep climb with not much room on the top. Drivers have to negotiate a sharp left immediately after reaching the top. From here it is a blast across the flat to the first drop down. After the first drop there is a rutted run and a narrow passage to the 2nd climb without much run-up. Innovative drivers backed well up into the opposite bank to get more run up here. Immediately after you complete the 2nd climb there is a sharp turn right to make the flags for the dropoff. Over-zealous drivers who do not "walk" this obstacle end up in the deep rut on the left (from drivers view). This water-filled rut claimed Sunil Shetye and Vikram (headers) who both had to be towed out.

This was a tough one . I remember Vikram struggling on this for a bit. @GS : was it tougher even after the rains ? Climb 3 would have become easier to climb. Was it ?

Last edited by neoranjit : 20th August 2010 at 16:12. Reason: got rid of the image
Old 20th August 2010, 16:31   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
This water-filled rut claimed Sunil Shetye and Vikram (headers) who both had to be towed out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoranjit View Post
This was a tough one . I remember Vikram struggling on this for a bit. @GS : was it tougher even after the rains ? Climb 3 would have become easier to climb. Was it ?

Guys, i was struggling as i had to drive with 1 hand and hold on to my broken TC gear lever on the other.

Else, SS on day 1 was tricky but doable..But I enjoyed day 2 SS better especially the double drop etc etc..
Old 20th August 2010, 16:32   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoranjit View Post

By the time rains started, all the teams were thru. Most teams at the end cleared it easily.
Old 20th August 2010, 16:53   #178
Senior - BHPian

Where the tough get seasoned...

There is some debate on the level of difficultly of the terrain at TPC10. I have got nothing to add...I am sure the wise amongst the participants would have realised if the terrain was difficult or not.

All I want to say is that it is very difficult to admit defeat. I can see a few participants are finding it very difficult indeed to accept it

It takes a well-prepared vehicle ("competition-ready") to be able to participate successfully at the TPC. I am not talking of winning/losing : just the successful participation.

Let us keep the sportive spirit flying high : this is the essence to any competitive event, more than the actual winning/losing.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 20th August 2010 at 17:01.
Old 20th August 2010, 17:05   #179
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
It takes a well-prepared vehicle ("competition-ready") to be able to participate successfully at the TPC. I am not talking of winning/losing : just the successful participation.
Assuming this is aimed also at us, so here goes.

Precisely the reason why we put our tails between our legs and kept quite, till we saw the score sheet.

We know how it works, and the perception we would create, sour grape phenomenon etc etc (give us some credits we are decent management professionals, atleast we think we are, and business world is much more ruthless than adventure world!). We had discussed this much before the prize ceremony, how we have been cornered and how anything and everything we do/say might be turned around.

Red 3 know that they messed it up for themselves, nobody including O team, Marshals or the points or even cancellation could have helped or to be blamed for that.

Still when something blatantly unfair happens, we need to raise our voice, otherwise this chaltha hein attitude will claim other innocent victims next year (not that we are innocent ).

If you are so perfect, leave it with the admission of mistake and move on to the other thread and discuss on suggestion to improve next year. I was atleast trying to do that yesterday, but i see many close to TPC coming back, again and again on to this thread. Fair enough, but then every story has two sides and i will present my side. Upto others to take it or paint at as pointless crib.

EDIT: Will be leaving for a fun event in another hour or so. Hence further replies would have to wait till Monday from my side.
EDIT 2: Most of the un-prepped vehicles are running couple of hundred kms this weekend and having fun (not competing), do pray for us and our vehicles.

Last edited by Jaggu : 20th August 2010 at 17:09.
Old 20th August 2010, 17:21   #180
Senior - BHPian

Sponsors & Media Partners

Hi Guys,

On Behalf of the O-Team, we would like to thank our Sponsors & Media Partner (NDTV-Hindu) in making this a very successful event.

1) NDTV-Hindu -- Media Partner.

2) Sennars

3) Zuliaka Motors

4) Alphazee.net

5) Tejas Auto Spa

6) RK Auto Corporation

7) Techenclave.com

8) Vanjax, India

Regards,

Arka

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com