Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2010, 11:32   #196
Distinguished - BHPian

Please let's not compare apples with oranges.
Both events were different in terms of:
- terrain
- weather
- competitive vs fun

A fun event is always never at the highest difficulty level especially when there are so many vehicles involved and the time given was limited. AKC can be turned into a very challenging course if need be.

Both events are class events in their own right and hat's off to both sets of organizers.
Old 24th August 2010, 11:32   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

@GS: That's a very very impressive visual representation of your SS. You truly put your heart & soul into your work and hats off to you for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
This was the first time I would be setting up an SS so I decided to get a little innovative. I used the central road as a crossover point between various obstacles in the SS....
I enjoyed this SS as this was possibly the only few SS where our team saw other teams in action. We did see few people getting surprised by the first climb. Infact, the green jeep from Bangalore nearly toppled when he took a turn after reaching the top.

Quote:
The first obstacle is a drop into a waist-deep slush pit. The exit on the other end was a 30 degree climb back onto the road with no momentum and straight after exiting the slush. I expected this to be HUGELY difficult and was worried it would be impossible.
I liked this one also, as this was the first water obstacle for us in TPC.

Quote:
.... for the first 5-6 teams, only 1 vehicle our of 3 made it through the first obstacle with most teams avoiding it altogether and skipping straight to the 2nd.
Hey, did not Bhaskar & that srilankan make it through? I thought they attempted it but can't recall if they made it through on their own or were pulled out.

On day 1, the SS 3 (arvind) & 5(or 6) where deep was standing, were my personal favorites.

On Day 2: I liked SS2 (Deep) for the sheer fun of that SS. I liked SS4 (Arka's) the best from a technical obstacle setup.
Old 24th August 2010, 13:08   #198
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
AKC can be turned into a very challenging course if need be.
Make it challenging but please keep it in the same format, to keep the fun intact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Hey, did not Bhaskar & that srilankan make it through? I thought they attempted it but can't recall if they made it through on their own or were pulled out.
Bhaskar made it through and green MM had to be towed out IIRC.
Old 26th August 2010, 07:27   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
@GS: That's a very very impressive visual representation of your SS. You truly put your heart & soul into your work and hats off to you for that
Thank you Khan Bhai. I've had this terrain software around for years and finally it came in handy. It is very easy to use, open source and anyone can make a 3D representation of their trail in minutes.

Quote:
Hey, did not Bhaskar & that srilankan make it through? I thought they attempted it but can't recall if they made it through on their own or were pulled out
I just re-checked the scores and Bhaskar did make it through the obstacle - I stand corrected!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Make it challenging but please keep it in the same format, to keep the fun intact
We're on a mission to raise the difficulty bar

Quote:
Bhaskar made it through and green MM had to be towed out IIRC.
Yes Bhaskar made it through but when I looked at the score sheet, Sean was given a score of 38. He actually scored 43 but I deducted 5 points for Flag Fouling. Zubin also scored 43. The SL team finished Day-2/SS-3 with under 30 seconds to spare.

Last edited by gsferrari : 26th August 2010 at 07:32.
Old 26th August 2010, 10:56   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Yes Bhaskar made it through but when I looked at the score sheet, Sean was given a score of 38. He actually scored 43 but I deducted 5 points for Flag Fouling. Zubin also scored 43. The SL team finished Day-2/SS-3 with under 30 seconds to spare.
WHAT

U DEDUCTED THEIR POINTS,
IS THAT NOT AGAINST TPC RULES
Old 26th August 2010, 11:10   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Please let's not compare apples with oranges.
Both events were different in terms of:
- terrain
- weather
- competitive vs fun

A fun event is always never at the highest difficulty level especially when there are so many vehicles involved and the time given was limited. AKC can be turned into a very challenging course if need be.

Both events are class events in their own right and hat's off to both sets of organizers.
right on Tejas

the AKC is not a competition but a challenge and we were just testing the waters.

If it had rained hard the trail would have been very different(which was what we hoped)

If we plan to make a very tough trail we can deliver it, but we may have a lot of unhappy people

A very fine line between difficult and dangerous, all it takes is somebody getting hurt.
Old 26th August 2010, 11:38   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme power View Post
WHAT

U DEDUCTED THEIR POINTS,
IS THAT NOT AGAINST TPC RULES
Hi Allan - Lets meet this weekend...I'm bringing a flame-thrower
Old 26th August 2010, 21:07   #203
BHPian

Hmmm. This forum has been more turbulent than the Typhoon that hit Hainan. We finshed our China event by rescuing officials out of the jungles. where the fully geared Malaysian teams who shipped their vehicles to china, were only interested in winning the RMB 200,000/- offered as prize money.

Sorry Guys, just came out of china, still in Kuala Lumpur and logged on to see what was going on with the Indian 4x4 scene, and I am very very disappointed.

Firstly, I will write to Arka and officially pull out my Team Entry from TPC2010. Hopefully this will give a solution for your problems.

All we wanted to do was to add some colour for an event that I thought was brilliant. Last year I participated, and I was wondering why the locals did not fancy this event. This year's turn out is great for this event.

We never came there to win. If we wanted to win, we would have brought out 200 Bhp+competition prepared Land Cruisers and Land Rovers to the Party. It is not our style to bring a gun to a sword fight.

The local vehicles we took was not prepared with some of the toys that other vehicles had, in fact there was no time to take off the Hard tops and remove the stabilizer bars but these Indian Manufactured vehicles proved beyond our expectations.

However we achieved our own goal of working as a team. This is something that we have lost along the lines in our sport. TPC is probably the only comp that encourages this. We were not competing among you guys, we were competing within our team to brush up our 4x4 basics. This is the second time that I drove in the sand, and it was very demanding. Some of the SS that you guys cleared, I would have normally winched across, without bending my front axle tube.

So go home with the positives and do not dwell on the negatives. You guys do not appreciate what you have. You have Guy like Arka who puts his heart and soul into it, A Major Roy, to pull off the Logistics.

It is time that you guys live up to the Tag Line of the event

Cheers

Last edited by Jaggu : 27th August 2010 at 11:08. Reason: Removing Alcohol mention, strictly not allowed in TBHP. Thanks
Old 26th August 2010, 23:58   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKCRUISERS View Post
Hmmm. This forum has been more turbulent than the Typhoon that hit Hainan. We finshed our China event by rescuing officials out of the jungles. where the fully geared Malaysian teams who shipped their vehicles to china, were only interested in winning the RMB 200,000/- offered as prize money.

Sorry Guys, just came out of china, still in Kuala Lumpur and logged on to see what was going on with the Indian 4x4 scene, and I am very very disappointed.

Firstly, I will write to Arka and officially pull out my Team Entry from TPC2010. Hopefully this will give a solution for your problems.

All we wanted to do was to add some colour for an event that I thought was brilliant. Last year I participated, and I was wondering why the locals did not fancy this event. This year's turn out is great for this event.

We never came there to win. If we wanted to win, we would have brought out 200 Bhp+competition prepared Land Cruisers and Land Rovers to the Party. It is not our style to bring a gun to a sword fight.

The local vehicles we took was not prepared with some of the toys that other vehicles had, in fact there was no time to take off the Hard tops and remove the stabilizer bars but these Indian Manufactured vehicles proved beyond our expectations.

However we achieved our own goal of working as a team. This is something that we have lost along the lines in our sport. TPC is probably the only comp that encourages this. We were not competing among you guys, we were competing within our team to brush up our 4x4 basics. This is the second time that I drove in the sand, and it was very demanding. Some of the SS that you guys cleared, I would have normally winched across, without bending my front axle tube.

So go home with the positives and do not dwell on the negatives. You guys do not appreciate what you have. You have Guy like Arka who puts his heart and soul into it, A Major Roy, to pull off the Logistics.

Cheers
Well said. Very well said.

(My first 4x4 post - though I don't know much about off-roading, I still follow it a bit over here in Team-BHP. That is apart from the weekend meets where I am nothing more than a listener when the topic converges on 4x4!)

Last edited by Jaggu : 27th August 2010 at 11:08.
Old 27th August 2010, 11:07   #205
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hmmm. This forum has been more turbulent than the Typhoon that hit Hainan.
================

Cheers
Hey first of all congratz. I don't know you but i think you misunderstood all the posts, the controversy is about the cancellation issue of some stages. This has to be sorted out if things have to be fair next year.

Let me repeat, no where we said that organizers did a bad job. Its only the final pointa tallying where the concerned goofed up. Which is a fact, that they also admit. Lets leave it at that and move on with reports here and suggestion in the other thread.

Have a safe journey back and do tease us with the event pictures.

cheers
Jaggu
Old 28th August 2010, 21:35   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sean,

Would love to learn the team building that you achieved at the event. Would also love to see some of your champs in action at our end soon

Yes, driving on sand is more demanding than on hard ground and that is why some of us love this event. The engine as well as transmission is strained continuously over longer periods of time. This helps one learn, understand and overcome the terrain.

Thanks for your encouragement and helpfulness all along. Ciao soon.
Old 31st August 2010, 09:00   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Hi Sean,

Would love to learn the team building that you achieved at the event. Would also love to see some of your champs in action at our end soon

Hi Headers,

Firstly, I must admit you ran the team event better than any of us, Not in the individual best performers list, but all three contributing to the team goal, and adding points. This is the core message of Palar.

Secondly, I enjoyed the the TPC 2009, over this one as I met every competitor and I still know them by their first nameS. The entries double this year, and we were not formerly introduced to any of the newbies. We simply know them as Bangalore team and Bombay team. Last year there was camaraderie down to the last competitor, even pulling through with the Salem boys, but this year I cannot say the same. I fear next year, the issues raised here in this forum is bound to escalate, individual interests taking over common goal, killing the very fabric this event is made of.

We came there to build a bridge that will open the 4x4 passion and terrain across borders, same reason I go to China and Malaysia, and I hope TPC2011 will have the makings along these thoughts for me to get the drive to be there.

Cheers
Old 31st August 2010, 11:40   #208
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I fear next year, the issues raised here in this forum is bound to escalate, individual interests taking over common goal, killing the very fabric this event is made of.
Did not understand what you meant by the underlined part ^^^^. As far as i know there was no individual events or goals

Yeah its true mingling never happened much, everybody was in their own tents. I think only one or two individuals took the effort of coming forward and getting introduced and sharing a joke or two. Need to figure out a better way to mingle, maybe over the evenings.

In that perspective i have to give it to UBS, he spent lot of time with us and many of the other teams also, inspite of the grueling day time schedules.
Old 31st August 2010, 11:49   #209
BHPian

Quote:
We simply know them as Bangalore team and Bombay team. Last year there was camaraderie down to the last competitor, even pulling through with the Salem boys, but this year I cannot say the same. I fear next year, the issues raised here in this forum is bound to escalate, individual interests taking over common goal, killing the very fabric this event is made of.
Cheers
So whats your Point? TPC 2010 was not enjoyable as TPC 2009 because of Bangalore and Bombay Boys?

--Sree--

Last edited by sreerajunnithan : 31st August 2010 at 11:52.
Old 31st August 2010, 13:05   #210
Senior - BHPian

I guess 2010 was much longer on both days and we could never manage the time / energy to mingle much with others.

In 2009, we came back before sunset and had quiz, viewed the photos taken by other people, discussed how to drive offroad better!!, etc etc.

Also, it becomes inevitable as the numbers increase, the splinter groups arise each having their own discussions.

In 2008, we were ALL ONE BIG group!! at the camp, fighting for the trophy during the DAY!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
I guess 2010 was much longer on both days and we could never manage the time / energy to mingle much with others.

In 2009, we came back before sunset and had quiz, viewed the photos taken by other people, discussed how to drive offroad better!!, etc etc.

Also, it becomes inevitable as the numbers increase, the splinter groups arise each having their own discussions.

In 2008, we were ALL ONE BIG group!! at the camp, fighting for the trophy during the DAY!!
Quote:
Hi Headers,
Firstly, I must admit you ran the team event better than any of us, Not in the individual best performers list, but all three contributing to the team goal, and adding points. This is the core message of Palar.
Sean, we were to show our Individual potential in the Individual Special Stages!!

Last edited by Jaggu : 31st August 2010 at 13:20. Reason: Back to back post, please EDIT the original post instead. Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks