Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2010, 09:02   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys i think we should all chill and be happy that it did not end up worst. Ravi's decision to steer actually avoided a head on collision with the gypsy, cuz i dont think there was any chance of him coming down and being able to steer clear! Lots said.. we sure will try this decent again some weekend, and this time with caution.
A special thanks to James for never saying NO to anyone who has been stuck with what so ever problem..
@ Nishant.. yeah very happy to have her back on road!! and lets do a over night next weekend.
Hi Suncahser, thats the precise reason I had thought to steer, as I was sure I would have hit the Gypsy Head ON making the situation much worse.

No Doubt James is a saviour. Once again thanks Man

@Nishant, I am willing to do this Descent once again but not with the same result.

Quote:
With this gang its the other way round, they will kill u if you dont try and do it again.

I remember when my Pajero was stuck at Alibagh OTR. Tejas, James, Devang, Kunal and others handled the situation so well. They not only got me out of that mess but also encouraged me to do all the obstacles the next morning.

All the best
Very True, Guys had handled the situation very well, these type of Incidents leave the people involved in it with a miserable feel, but these guys put no pressure on me and helped me to come back to my senses.

Quote:
Have my advice over this , there is nothing wrong in having 'wildest' dreams . What makes difference is you go prepared or not . So next time you see me I have a nice present for you & the good Doc .

Only you need to choose yours one ,( its for free. )

but at least you will be prepared .
Attachment 416273
yours Sudarshan
Hi Sudarshan, Advice well taken and shall be all prepared for the next OTR and Thank you for the gift, though I think your presence can save me better then these Helmets .

Quote:
I have been doing offroad with James,Amol and few others from last 3-4 years now I can trust these guys blindly in regards to spotting or recovery but it doesnt mean that we just go for OTR, Drive, get stuck and Get recovered and go back Home.

Trust me guys its a good practice to get down and walk the trail first before you attempt. Make it a practice and i am sure your confidence level will improve once you mentally make your path before your hit the obstacle.

Second, it is always good to see recovery process, its a learning experience everytime. so next time if you see someone is stuck and if you cant help but still get down and watch what others are doing and I am sure end of the day you will know one trick to get the vehicle out.

we will try and do bullockcart trail next week.

Now lets get ready for next weekend
Once again sir, Advise well taken and will adhere to it and I am in for this week as well with NO Dramas, though I hope i get my fender by then.

Last edited by 4x4 cruiser : 1st September 2010 at 09:04. Reason: Typo
Old 1st September 2010, 15:10   #32
Senior - BHPian

Forget this banter and everyone learn from this. Thats what an OTR is all about isn't it? Its more of a learning experience coupled with fun.

Ravi you good in the situation that you found yourself in and trust me it'll change the way you approach things the next time.

So where and when is the next OTR?
Old 4th September 2010, 19:51   #33
Senior - BHPian

Nice terrain. One Observation - In 1 low, if one does not touch the A, B or C, the vehicle will NOT pick up momentum Sir. This is tested and holds good for jeeps up to 45 deg slopes

Anyways, glad to note that the incident did not scare anyone - Drive Safe!
Old 4th September 2010, 20:14   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Nice terrain. One Observation - In 1 low, if one does not touch the A, B or C, the vehicle will NOT pick up momentum Sir. This is tested and holds good for jeeps up to 45 deg slopes

Not if there isn't enough adhesion between the tyres and the ground. In the correct circumstances, the wheels will rotate at idle speed while the vehicle still gains momentum due to loss of grip. This is only slightly better than coming down with the wheels locked. Some rotation can give you that precious little amount of control needed to avoid an obstacle if necessary.

I've observed this to happen at slopes a lot less than 45 degrees. Muck those tyres enough and it is more likely to happen. Also added load on the vehicle doesn't help once those tyres have lost grip. This however, applies more to mucky and slippery surfaces.

Drifter
Old 6th September 2010, 23:37   #35
BHPian

Quote:

Sir, this is what i had planned, but the jeep had too much of momentum inspite of keeping away from A,B & C. After i saw the gypsy, i tried to steer the Jeep a bit to avoid going straight in to it, it made the Jeep come out from behind and i braked a bit to gain some control but it turned the other way round and the rest is History.
Old 7th September 2010, 12:10   #36
Team-BHP Support

I think it has to more to do with the terrain than ABC, terrain slipped and hence vehicle gathered momentum.

Only thing you could have tried is go with the flow and dab the accelerator so that the tyre gathers some momentum bringing the vehicle back in control. Easier said than done.
Old 10th September 2010, 13:38   #37

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 18th September 2010 at 12:53.
gorkha 2 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 21st September 2010, 17:15   #38
BHPian

At last completed the examm descent without any drama this Sunday, can't even express how excited I am. The last time i did it, I came back home with a Broken fender, broken radiator fan, clutch cable and mostly the guilt of banging Rahul's Gypsy. Though this time, we first tried to clear the pavane lake descent, where Prasad was my passenger and he guided me through it, my mistakes to let go the clutch fully. Thanks Buddy.

Then we came to the famous Examm descent. This time Tejas was driving my Jeep, since we were at the bottom of the decent it was decided to climb it, so Devang went first, he got through half way and then left it. So Allan went for it and within no time he cleared it. Then Tejas in my jeep and I as passenger went for it. I was doubtful and asked Tejas will we clear it, he said EASILYYYY, so we hit the trail and whoopie here we are at the top of the Hill.

Now this is what Tejas had to say,

Tejas: Did u enjoy it.
Me: Very much
Tejas: Now your turn
Me: Ok, so i will go down taking the alternate route.
Tejas: No ways, you are going down from here
Me: I can't.
Tejas: Don't worry, we will clear all the vehicles and then you take your shot.
Me: I am scared man. After the last incident, will do it some other time. (Actually I thought Never).
Tejas: You are doing it right now and I shall sit with you.
Me: Are you sure?
Tejas: Just get your Jeep.

Tejas sitting with me gave me some assurance but i was still scared to death, but i made my mind, if i escape it this time i might never be able to overcome the last incident, so lets take the name of god and do it. Tejas sat with me and Allan was standing at the start of the Descent. Both of them guided me and their I was doing it for the second time, hoping against hope nothing goes wrong.

To my surprise the jeep went down with no momentum at all, it was all together different experience, smoothly reached down and this was one of the best moments of my life.

So now Tejas asked me to climb it as well. Again under his guidance I went for the climb and did it in one Go. Wow, I was blushing beyond expectation. What a relief, Most satisfying day of my life.

Many many thanks to Tejas, Prasad and Allan, truly knowledgable and helpful guys, Infact the entire group is amazing. I am so proud to be one of the members of EXO's.

MODS: I thougt better to post in this thread instead of starting new. please relocate if necessary.

Last edited by 4x4 cruiser : 21st September 2010 at 17:15. Reason: typo
4x4 cruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2010, 20:16   #39
Senior - BHPian

@4x4: Great new beginnings with great guys.. All the best.

BTW, which gear did you do the descent in??
Old 23rd September 2010, 11:42   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4 cruiser View Post
my mistakes to let go the clutch fully.
Hi Ravi,

What does the above statement mean? You should never half clutch. Ever!

Quote:

BTW, which gear did you do the descent in??
1st Low for descent. 2nd low for ascent.
Old 23rd September 2010, 12:05   #41
Senior - BHPian

@Ravi,

we are glad to know that you are proud of being an EXO,

buddy you have got a really good machine with you, trust me a lot more can be done with it.

Now you have successfully done that slope so its time for us to come up with something more difficult

Cheers
Devang
Old 23rd September 2010, 14:16   #42
BHPian

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Hi Ravi,

Quote:
What does the above statement mean? You should never half clutch. Ever!
Actually I was damn nervous while going thru that descent and the moment i used to leave the cluthch the vehicle was taking a jerk and thats the reason inspite of knowing I shouldn't press clutch, was not able to let it go. One Incident can play lot of tricks with you. But now after completing both the descents, I am 100% sure that I would never repeat this mistakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdev29 View Post
@Ravi,

we are glad to know that you are proud of being an EXO,

buddy you have got a really good machine with you, trust me a lot more can be done with it.

Now you have successfully done that slope so its time for us to come up with something more difficult

Cheers
Devang
Thanks Devang, I am seriously very proud to be a member. Ready for any and everything, its really difficult to get the offroading Bug OFF you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks