Team-BHP - Offroading Protocols & Code of Conduct
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Excursions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-excursions/)
-   -   Offroading Protocols & Code of Conduct (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-excursions/88015-offroading-protocols-code-conduct-2.html)

Doc,

Excellent write up.

Here are my contribution to your list.

If the vehicle equipped with winch:
1. Do not forget to carry the controller cable/switch

2. Some times you may need to help winch out fellow jeeper if your Jeep is equipped with a winch, hence carry an anchor tool/rob to stop your vehicle dragged forward while winching others.

3. Keep a tree trunk protector on your recovery kit

4. Try to accommodate a snatch block to double the winching power on your recovery kit

5. Strongly suggest not to leave the winch operation to a in experienced person, it may create major health hazard

6. While rolling the winch cable back, make sure to stop the roll operation well before the tip/hook reaches the roller head. Often people damage their hands on the rolling cable/hook as the person operating the switch ignores to watch the hook position. Be aware.

7. Remember to carry the energy absorber (simple gunny bag or any special purpose equipment) along with you and use it in all the winching operations for the safety of all the bystanders.

8. Snatched and Flying cables can create fatal incident so make sure no one is standing on the snatched cable reachable distance.

While doing OTR in forest:

1. Keep a anti venom / first aid for snake bite (Doc to suggest some medicine)
2. Know what to do when you were bitten by snake/insect/leach
3. Carry all that required to fight leaches

Common things:

1. Many have left their spare tyres unattended, often we see people suffering with flat spare tyre. Check them up before you start for OTR

2. Portable compressors will work for a very short time and heats up very fast, so do not depend on other's equipment if you are planning for a sand surfing OTR. Try to equip yourself for a portable compressor.

3. Make doubly sure your vehicle got front and rear tow hooks, this is the foremost thing to have before starting for any trip

Dear All , I don't know if this fits here or not but please bear

I will add my bit here . If anyone is a serious off roader he can try the following .

1) take the vehicle to service station / work shop at least 3 days before the planned OTR , for inspections . doing so you can do the following :

a) take the vehicle on ramp or go underneath the vehicle WITH your mech accompanying you . check everything with him ( such as loose bolts , oil levels ,underpinnings etc )

b) create your own set of tools ( basic ) & try your hand under your mechs guidance

2) do this ( above ) after every OTR , you will come to know about damage done etc . so next time you will avoid mistakes

By this you will be able to:

1) know your machine & its strengths & weaknesses

2) the overall condition

3) have some practice of using tools ( this will help you in emergencies )

4) better understanding of the working of the machine

5) confidence in operations

It is not necessary/ possible for everyone to be a DIY guy , it may not be of your interest , but this ( above ) will be adding to your chances of survival out there .

Sudarshan

good stuff!

All the boys listening??

I suggest you put this link on the Examm page too.

One more point to add to the list.I feel if you follow this one you will be safe most of the time.

COMMON SENSE please exercise it, or if you dont have any let somebody else exercise it for you.

This may not be a technical point as most of the technicalities are covered by more experienced off roaders above. But one observation during OTRs is that people drink and drive as they consider it to be some kind of picnic. Also, most people litter the surroundings. In my personal opinion, those taking part in such events should try and avoid both.

Sorry if I have offended anyone!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sapna gurukar (Post 2865364)
But one observation during OTRs is that people drink and drive as they consider it to be some kind of picnic.

Yes , Unfortunately this is a reality & things have gone beyond that too :Frustrati

Quote:

Sorry if I have offended anyone!
Doesn't matter, you have spoken the truth , why any one should feel offended ? People who do such things must be ashamed of themselves , they are earning a bad name to all of us . Not only bad name ,but risking their's & other people's lives too .Such things need to be dealt with severe punishment .

Thanks for bringing up a Very Valid Point :thumbs up

Sudarshan

This is a nice demonstration of soil erosion when there are no plants.
How is this is relevant to our hobby?
Someone bushwacks a trail or "creates a bypass." Someone will say "I didn't do any damage, I just went through once!" not that they'd know what "damage" is but let's humor them.
The person after them sees the tracks and follows. And the one after them does. Next thing you know, it's a new trail.
Throw in ten years of traffic & rain on every new "bypass" or bushwack, and an entire area can be ruined.
Please, stay on the trail. If you can't make the obstacle, turn around and find another way or stay home.

https://youtu.be/p9tYRLxP0as

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl (Post 4629015)
This is a nice demonstration of soil erosion when there are no plants.

Wow! I know nothing about off-roading and it doesn't interest me, but very impressive to read that you guys do think about these aspects too. Has corrected my impression that off-road guys are just about taking their monsters wherever, without a thought about the damage to the plant and animal life. (Have seen a few posts on this forum too where people are 'proud' that their jeeps and bikes made it off-road into some pristine forest trail or the other.)

Great to hear that there are 'good people'/environmentally careful off-roaders too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by am1m (Post 4629115)
Wow! I know nothing about off-roading and it doesn't interest me, but very impressive to read that you guys do think about these aspects too. Has corrected my impression that off-road guys are just about taking their monsters wherever, without a thought about the damage to the plant and animal life. (Have seen a few posts on this forum too where people are 'proud' that their jeeps and bikes made it off-road into some pristine forest trail or the other.)

Great to hear that there are 'good people'/environmentally careful off-roaders too!

To be honest. There are a few like us and more rotten apples. Just last weekend we went to a place for offroading which we have been going for years and had kept the location a secret. Once someone's friend accompanied us and they gave that location to another group.

Two weekends ago that group went and offroaded irresponsibly and last weekend when we went, the locals politely asked us to leave. Since they knew us, they were polite. They said any other group and they would have gotten rude and the outcome would not be great.

People need to realise that dirt trails are not only for vehicles. They are mostly used for village folks and trekkers. When off-roaders go, they go full speed, splash water on villagers, make bypasses and the MT tyres dig up the trails because they are trying to move off the trail and the need for traction makes the wheels chew the soft land. These trails then become difficult for bullock carts and bikes to pass (which is the main source of travel for locals). Not to mention that the donuts done by these vehicles removes a lot of top soil. Doing stuff in extreme is not good.

You want to do donuts then go to private's property with permission of the landlord to do the same.

Damage to fully grown green patch by driving over it has been clearly described but in desert ????
Vegetation is to be respected. Though it is easier to drive on vegetation than on Sand due to better traction, it must be understood that vegetation is sparse in desert and is home to insects and source of food to others. I have always followed myself and advised my fellow drivers to avoid driving over whatever little plants that thrive in desert.