Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2010, 22:51   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Exploring the Himalayas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Route : yet to be set

Period of Travel : Tentative June/July 2010, actual dates and duration of trip to be finalised
im sure its just a typo and the dates are of 2011!
Old 1st January 2011, 06:43   #47
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BolBolero View Post
Taking the liberty of adding my name.
It would be fun. Hope your family is well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
im sure its just a typo and the dates are of 2011!
Yes sir it is
Old 1st January 2011, 16:44   #48
BHPian

Quote:
It would be fun. Hope your family is well
Sir, Wish you a Very Happy and Prosperous New Year. All is well with the family, thank you.

Regarding the Himalayan Road trip, it would be nice if you could fix tentative dates for the start. Would help in the planning, with respect to the routes to be taken, the weather conditions, feasibility etc.
Old 1st January 2011, 17:02   #49
Sha
BHPian

Spiti valley, Ladakh and Zanskar valley can be done in 23 days from bangalore with 2-3 buffer days, I have done this year.
DKG doing in CJ3B needs lot of buffer days and backup support. It will struggle to climb I have seen this year one CJ3B climbing Baralacha pass it was dying.
Old 1st January 2011, 22:30   #50
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BolBolero View Post
Wish you a Very Happy and Prosperous New Year
Thanks and wish you and family the very best

Quote:
Regarding the Himalayan Road trip, it would be nice if you could fix tentative dates for the start. Would help in the planning, with respect to the routes to be taken, the weather conditions, feasibility etc.
Actually you can recommend based on your knowledge of when the roads are all open and cleared. Once we decide we can plan our leave accordingly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
Spiti valley, Ladakh and Zanskar valley can be done in 23 days from bangalore with 2-3 buffer days, I have done this year.
DKG doing in CJ3B needs lot of buffer days and backup support. It will struggle to climb I have seen this year one CJ3B climbing Baralacha pass it was dying.
I have a Tata 207 too. Is the Jeep that weak up there? Or maybe I should get myself a Thar !!

Last edited by DKG : 1st January 2011 at 22:33.
Old 2nd January 2011, 05:49   #51
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
I have a Tata 207 too. Is the Jeep that weak up there? Or maybe I should get myself a Thar !!
Thar will be ideal choice. Jeep/CJ3B will definately will go but you have to spend more time on vehicle issues rather than enjoying nature. Even 2WD vehicles with high GC will do easily ladakh unless you want to try off the track roads like me.
Personally I would suggest Gypsy for himalya trip, No issues carefree for full trip.
For example from keylong to Leh can be done in one day, if driving in CJ3B then it will take atleast 3 days with stop at sarchu/pang. staying at sarchu means starting problem even carb gypsy had starting problem.
Old 4th January 2011, 17:11   #52
BHPian

i am surely in , what ever the dates, i can help with the logistics from delhi onwards. i have done quite a bit of travel in these places and doing it my 3b is a dream i have had often. so definitely lets do it.
we can have a 3b support veh from here as well with spares thrown in and with my mech in it.
so in the list count me in from delhi
dr sharat- 3b- delhi

amazing idea-lets do it guys, i am super charged about it
Old 4th January 2011, 17:14   #53
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Please add your name into the list location wise so we can build that along as we go. Once HVK and others very familiar with the territory recommend a route we can work out accommodation options and slowly get cracking
Old 4th January 2011, 18:30   #54
Team-BHP Support

So have you decided whether you want to do Spiti Loop + Uttarakhand or Ladakh?
If you do HP and Spiti, you will not find anything new in Uttaranchal.
Moreover you will get bored in UK as most trails are car friendly.
Spiti and Ladakh do offer lots of trails which require 4WD. However, esp in Ladakh, many of those trails are above 5000m above sea level. A diesel NA jeep may run into issues, esp overheating as ambient temp during the day is 15-20 degree C, and there is not enough air to cool the engines.
If you do finalize on Ladakh, ping me, and I can send you tracklogs of the 4WD routes over Changthang Plateau.
Make sure you attempt these trails only if you have a proper Offroad GPS, not the satguide or Mapmyindia. The latter will do if you are comfortable navigating like sailors N/E/W/S kind of navigation.
Old 4th January 2011, 22:28   #55
BHPian

i can help with acco and other arrangements in uk or hp.
this june i was in spiti and trust me its amazing, we met only 1 veh in 6 days enroute, there were 15-20 ft snow walls for considerable patches, black ice for km,s at a stretch and it snowed in sporadically. it was amazing. i was there for the raid again in oct but that charm and wilderness was missing sorely.
in uk too there are many unexplored wild areas which can be done.
lets decide dates. then route map, then logistics.
abd guys lets get as many 3b's as we can on board. that would be a site. to see the army jeeps go back to their roots . i saw a similiar 3b event in spain , its a diffreent feeling altogether.
Old 4th January 2011, 23:32   #56
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer the idea is to explore the most scenic parts of the country up north in Jeeps, which is a lovely way to travel. Nothing firmed up yet but suggestions will help in firming up a plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by docfreak View Post
i can help with acco and other arrangements in uk or hp.
this june i was in spiti and trust me its amazing, we met only 1 veh in 6 days enroute, there were 15-20 ft snow walls for considerable patches, black ice for km,s at a stretch and it snowed in sporadically. it was amazing. i was there for the raid again in oct but that charm and wilderness was missing sorely.
in uk too there are many unexplored wild areas which can be done.
lets decide dates. then route map, then logistics.
abd guys lets get as many 3b's as we can on board. that would be a site. to see the army jeeps go back to their roots . i saw a similiar 3b event in spain , its a diffreent feeling altogether.
A 3B reunion sounds like a fun idea. I am completely open. Lets get people who have explored the region to recommend a fun route and we'll freeze it. I realise it may not be feasible to do everything in one trip so perhaps two legs done over two years can be considered.

My personal interest really is to explore the most beautiful parts of India in a Jeep
Old 5th January 2011, 13:02   #57
BHPian

deepak,
to plan on a route, i think for the first go we can have one that is scenic but not too much in wilderness . otr areas will be all over , from any road there are such detours.
we can compile suggestions based on some criteria , eg length of trip,
so say for a week long trip, in uk , offhand that come to me are :(keepin in mind we want hills and some treks can be done alongwith, i suggest lets carry out tents along and do it the fauji style by camping at day end where ever we are)
  1. chopta route
  2. valley of flowers
  3. binsar and beyond
  4. pithoragarh and surrounds
  5. mana sanctuary(virtually nanda devi base camp)
  6. milam glacier
  7. roop kund axis
in hp :
  1. ladakh axis
  2. spiti axis
  3. kalpa axis
in j&k :
  1. the axis around the srinagar leh high way with many off shoots, of which any can be the direction
keeping in mind that its the first in series trip , we can choose a little more sedate route with some recovery options always close by

sharat
Old 5th January 2011, 13:12   #58
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
deepak,
to plan on a route, i think for the first go we can have one that is scenic but not too much in wilderness . otr areas will be all over , from any road there are such detours.
we can compile suggestions based on some criteria , eg length of trip,
so say for a week long trip, in uk , offhand that come to me are :(keepin in mind we want hills and some treks can be done alongwith, i suggest lets carry out tents along and do it the fauji style by camping at day end where ever we are)
  1. chopta route
  2. valley of flowers
  3. binsar and beyond
  4. pithoragarh and surrounds
  5. mana sanctuary(virtually nanda devi base camp)
  6. milam glacier
  7. roop kund axis
in hp :
  1. ladakh axis
  2. spiti axis
  3. kalpa axis
in j&k :
  1. the axis around the srinagar leh high way with many off shoots, of which any can be the direction
keeping in mind that its the first in series trip , we can choose a little more sedate route with some recovery options always close by

sharat
Wow Doc that sounds exciting. I've been wanting to trek upto the valley of flowers this year. I am game for what you have proposed. Once everyone interested agrees we can move onto the next stage of planning. I have full camping gear so I am game to roughing it fauji style too !!

I am inclined to agree with your suggestion of building up the trips over the years and taking this one nice and easy so it makes people want to come back for more. If we make this too gruelling chances are few would want to do the next series of trips.

Last edited by DKG : 5th January 2011 at 13:14.
Old 19th January 2011, 11:57   #59
BHPian

dkg if we are serious we can start planning. lets keep it tentatively for end august as then the monsoons would be over, hills green and for first timers not too cold. we can plan it out to valley of flowers or maybe to mana sanctuary.
also lets do a headcount , to who are in :

1. me and my wife
Old 19th January 2011, 13:22   #60
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
dkg if we are serious we can start planning. lets keep it tentatively for end august as then the monsoons would be over, hills green and for first timers not too cold. we can plan it out to valley of flowers or maybe to mana sanctuary.
Doc I am game. And so are atleast two more people from Hyd. HVK has asked for sometime to plan a nice route, once we have his suggestions we can arrive at some consensus and start planning on stay options etc. July seems to pop up as the ideal time when the valley of flowers is in full bloom? If you are more familiar with the region you would know better.

Last edited by DKG : 19th January 2011 at 13:24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks