Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2010, 22:53   #1
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Exploring the Himalayas

Sometime next year I plan on taking my annual vacation exploring the Himalayan foothills over an entire month.

I haven't decided on the logistics, whether to send the Jeep up to say Chandigarh by train and then spend more time driving up north or drive up all the way up from Hyderabad.

It would be fun if some of our Jeeping friends from Chennai, Bangalore, Pune and Bombay join in

What say guys ? Lets have some fun up north !!
Old 7th September 2010, 05:19   #2
BHPian

driving down will probably be cheaper. And it adds what 2 days each way?
Old 7th September 2010, 09:05   #3
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
driving down will probably be cheaper. And it adds what 2 days each way?
I agree it would be cheaper. But I think it would take three days to get upto Chandigarh, which means six days up and down
Old 7th September 2010, 09:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

I don't know much about jeep, but I think it will not be fun driving jeep all the way from Hyderabad to Chandigarh.

But on the other hand it will be pure fun to drive it on Hills.

Whats dates/weeks/month you have in mind?
Old 7th September 2010, 10:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

If you guys are pooling, you can drive continuously in relay so that you get to Chandigarh faster in 2 days or so.
Old 7th September 2010, 11:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Sometime next year I plan on taking my annual vacation exploring the Himalayan foothills over an entire month.

What say guys ? Lets have some fun up north !!
Deepak,

God willing, I would like to join in. Hopefully would have a 4x4 in India by then.

Will follow the thread and keep up-dated

Sending your Jeep up north by train would be a good Idea (have used this mode a lot with my RD 350 when I used to be a resident Indian)

Anorther cheaper & better option would be to coordinate with the Maruti dealer in HYD and use one of Car carriers on the return run to Delhi etc. Back south use the carriers of one of the Chennai, B,lore car cos like Hyundai etc

I think, road is more reliable than the IR, where the arrival dates tend to be almost unpredictable

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Old 7th September 2010, 12:04   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Deepak - I think a very rational thing to do would be to load the CJ3B in a closed container truck and send it to Chandigarh. Your vehicle is so precious, please do not take any chances. People are known to steal things in our country.

I wish I could come, otherwise it's just work, work and more work.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 7th September 2010, 12:08   #8
BHPian

Guys u can check the avis website, they have started the special offer for self driven 4x4 Safari & Endeavour @ the price of 2000 & 2500 respectively. AVIS

so just fly down to Delhi & pick one of these.

cheers!
alok
Old 7th September 2010, 12:24   #9
BHPian

Shipping the vehicle to Delhi with a container is a viable option. e.g. Mumbai to Delhi is around 8.5 k one way.

The only issue is, there is no guarantee of on time arrival, so you will have to keep a week or so in flex. They basically put (slip) the car into a container whenever they find space.

There is one guy Harjeev, me , david have used who is pretty decent and has a all india network.

@Hvk: I would guess that unlike your faithful young scorpio, the CJ3Bs are a bit old and need to take rests, naps and leaks to recover so the machine is the constraint and not the humans!
Old 7th September 2010, 12:46   #10
BHPian

Hmmmm.....I shall keep a keen eye on this thread and the dates that get finalized. Its time to think hatke - I'm not enlightened with the 4x4 world . I'm game if the word "camping" and not "hotels" is part of the month long plan.

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 7th September 2010 at 12:47.
Old 7th September 2010, 19:52   #11
DKG
Senior - BHPian

let the ideas flow in. I am completely open, truck, container, drive all the way, hotels, camping I am game.

We need to make sure our cars in top shape
We plan our holidays in advance
Agree on an ideal itinerary

HVK you are the master here. What would be the most scenic route we could take assuming for this first exploration we head up to Chandigarh and plan the expedition?

Behram bhai surely you can plan on a vacation with us. It would be terrific if we make this a Thar adventure and perhaps M&M can handle some of the logistics? Vinod are you listening?

Like I said at this stage lets have all the ideas and suggestions. I have already mooted the idea with some of the Hyderabadi Nawabs.
Old 7th September 2010, 20:22   #12
BHPian

You hardly see any Jeeps in the Ledakh region nowadays. Make sure your Cj3b in a good shape. Thar, I am sure going to be a great fun.
Old 7th September 2010, 20:33   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Dear DKG sir , Very Interesting. I am planning something similar next year but definitely not for one month due to leave restrictions. But would love to join in even for few days. Will be watching this thread closely! If Vinod is kind enough to give me a Thar soon, I will join in with a Thar Hard top else it will be with my newly acquired LR Defender 90.

Quote:
It would be fun if some of our Jeeping friends from Chennai, Bangalore, Pune and Bombay join in What say guys ? Lets have some fun up north !!
Only from Chennai, Bangalore, Pune and Bombay can join?
Not from Kerala, the Jeep country?? Just kidding Sir. I know there are not many "Active" Jeepers from Kerala in this forum.
Old 7th September 2010, 21:20   #14
Senior - BHPian

Let me try out a route plan, covering some nice places in both HP and UK:

Chandigarh-Pathankot-Dalhousie

Dalhousie-Chamba-Jot-Dharamsala-Baijnath/Bir-Mandi-Manali

Manali-Manikaran-Aut-Shoja-Jalori Jot-Sainj-Rampur

Rampur-Powari-((Spello-Nako-Sumdo-Tabo-Kaza))

((Kaza-Tabo-Sumdo-Nako-Spello))-Powari-Kalpa-Powari-Karchcham-Sangla-Chitkul-Sangla-Karchcham-Jeori-Sarahan-Jeori-Rampur

Rampur-Rohru-Hatkoti-Chakrata-Kalsi-Musoorie-Dhanaulti

Dhanaulti-Chamba-Tehri-Deoprayag-Pauri-Srinagar-Rudraprayag-Karnaprayag-Gwaldam

Gwaldam-Baijnath-Kausani-Bageshwar-Binsar-Almora-Ranikhet-Corbett Park

Corbett Park-Ramnagar-Moradabad-Gajraula-Hapur-Ghaziabad-Delhi

The trip profile has mountains, mountains and mountains. If weather conditions are right, you could quickly also cover the following places:

Sach Pass, from Dalhousie to Udeypur/Keylong
Kalsi to Yamunotri/Gangotri

Another option would be to concentrate on a small region and explore it entirely. I have really no ideas for nay such region that will keep you occupied for 20-30 days.
Old 7th September 2010, 22:21   #15
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Let me try out a route plan, covering some nice places in both HP and UK
You've given us something to chew on ! I think the ideal itinerary should allow those who cannot do the entire leg to do some sectors at their convenience and time availability

Lets try to post pictures of some of these places as it would lure more enthusiasts to explore the region

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks