Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2011, 08:05   #76
BHPian

Re: Exploring the Himalayas

I'll be more than happy with the rear bench and only woken up when needed. Driving on black ice ? wake me up cause I've pushed a car, drifted a car and even had friction burns on my peachy side.... all at the same time!.Meanwhile i can freeze meself against the pain by hitching a ride in Deepak's 3b, lol.

I forgot that you've chosen a proper vehicle rather than buying the phantom phenomenon .

Help! Apologies on the double post. Perils of mobile phone computing.

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 23rd January 2011 at 08:07.
Old 24th January 2011, 06:39   #77
BHPian

DKG,

I am planning to take off for a couple of months during mid of this year, may be around April / May. I'll see if I can postpone my vacation to May/June to add myself to this list. I'll see my project schedule and fix on the vacation dates soon. Let me know when you have tentative dates fixed for this trip.

We (wifey and me) were planning to do Spiti and Lahaul during our vacations in April / May. Hopefully we can do it with the Gang. If not we can do it before you and it might be the reconnaissance trip for yours.
Old 24th January 2011, 23:22   #78
BHPian

lets freeze dates,duration and direction. then carry it on.
Old 25th January 2011, 10:13   #79
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docfreak View Post
lets freeze dates,duration and direction. then carry it on.
I am open to suggestions on the route and freeze things based on consensus. HVK would you like to pitch in and Doc and others can work this out as the ideal route plan?
Old 25th January 2011, 10:23   #80
Senior - BHPian

I think you should stick to a circuit in Himachal, so that you do the following:
Chandigarh-Dharamasala-Dalhousie-Chamba-Sach Pass-Udeypur-Keylong-Gramphoo-Chandra tal-Kaza-Tabo-Sumdo-Nako-Kalpa-Chitkul-Shmila-Chandigarh.

In case Sach Pass is not open, then you can proceed from Dalhousie via Mandi to Manali and to Kaza via Gramphoo.

Doing the Ladakh circuit itself is very demanding on time, and doing the HP circuit will ensure that you have enough time to do some OTR trails and also accomodate a large group on the move.
Old 25th January 2011, 11:22   #81
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Doing the Ladakh circuit itself is very demanding on time, and doing the HP circuit will ensure that you have enough time to do some OTR trails and also accomodate a large group on the move.
In light of HVK's exhaustive knowledge of the region and his personal travel experience I am inclined to go along with this recommendation as it also ensures we travel through some of the most scenic and interesting terrain in north India. Perhaps for our first trip we could do this and opt for the Leh Ladakh sector next year?

For those interested in trekking we could cover the Valley of Flowers as a special event in itself.

How does everyone interested in the trip feel about what HVK has suggested?
Old 25th January 2011, 13:36   #82
Senior - BHPian

I agree with DKG and HVK about exploring the Himachal as Ladakh would be too time consuming. I would suggest sometime in September be blocked for the journey as the tourist season is over by then and we can get cheaper facilities as well.
Old 25th January 2011, 13:42   #83
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I agree with DKG and HVK about exploring the Himachal as Ladakh would be too time consuming. I would suggest sometime in September be blocked for the journey as the tourist season is over by then and we can get cheaper facilities as well.
Good, once we freeze the route plan following a few more inputs then we can decide on the time and once that's done we can get down to the nitty gritty of stay options etc

Thanks
Old 25th January 2011, 13:50   #84
BHPian

September could work out for me too.
Old 25th January 2011, 22:45   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I fully agree with this option

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Old 27th January 2011, 15:34   #86
BHPian

the spiti route is awesome, so many trails all over.
september is also fine for this axis.

my only concern is that for a first trip lets keep it shorter, maybe total duration of 5 days including offroading, and soaking in the lovely himalayan spectacle. the trip suggested, by jeeps, would be minimum of 10-15 days keeping sometime for breakdowns and other activities along.

when i did this circuit in june it took me 7 days by my scopio without too much of trail finding.

sharat
Old 27th January 2011, 15:56   #87
BHPian

Would love to join in for a trip like this provided the dates fall during the second half of the year.

Can someone give some inputs on rentals? I dont have company to lug a vehicle all the way from South .
Old 27th January 2011, 16:05   #88
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Doc HVK and Aniruddh as you know the region please initiate a dialogue where we agree on the most scenic parts with some offroading thrown in which doesn't require any service/logistic help, just some light trail type of stuff to get to more scenic spots perhaps.

Once you guys can agree on the route then lets have a chat on the time and then onto accommodation issues

Thanks, am already getting excited about this trip. Should be a riot !!
Old 27th January 2011, 16:12   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
You've given us something to chew on ! I think the ideal itinerary should allow those who cannot do the entire leg to do some sectors at their convenience and time availability

Lets try to post pictures of some of these places as it would lure more enthusiasts to explore the region
Your wish is my command.

Spiti:
Genesis - soumya.org: Surreal Spiti

Kinnaur:
Genesis - soumya.org: Kaleidoscopic Kinnaur

Am getting nostalgic just looking at these pictures. Wandering through these regions for 3 weeks was just perfect. The topology of Spiti is unique. Every corner holds a surprise.

Just make sure you avoid 'Bengali' season, the time during Durga Puja where every hotel room is taken up by my brethen in monkey caps and mufflers...
Old 27th January 2011, 17:28   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post

Just make sure you avoid 'Bengali' season, the time during Durga Puja where every hotel room is taken up by my brethen in monkey caps and mufflers...
, I too do the same avoiding the "Bengali" Season. And whenever I hear Bengali, I make sure I don't utter a single Bangla word lest I fall prey to "Dada" and "Boudi"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks