|28th October 2010, 12:23||#61|
Dear Santhosh, No to worry about checking-in early. We are going to be there couple of days before the event.
Shibu /Robinson /Parvez
|28th October 2010, 12:30||#62|
Distinguished - BHPian
Join Date: Sep 2008
Thanked: 8,070 Times
9. Imran Soudagar
11. Abhishek + Devansh (as passenger)
Please give us ten days to send down the forms and money.
I'm banking on you to give me a vehicle if i don't get my 4x4 in time!
|31st October 2010, 03:20||#63|
Thanks for the tentative list. You can drive my Gypsy in case if you dont get your Thar on time. :-)
|2nd November 2010, 15:15||#64|
Join Date: Sep 2008
Thanked: 327 Times
When you get a chance can you also publish a recommended checklist for local conditions and expected weather.
Something which will answer questions like:
Will it be cold?
How many layers of outerwear are needed? (Fleece and waterproof?)
What is the best way to avoid leeches ? Gumboots?
What are must have's to bring?
How far is the nearest fuelling point?
...This is just a random list off the top of my head!
|2nd November 2010, 17:54||#65|
Senior - BHPian
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Nilgiris
Thanked: 123 Times
|3rd November 2010, 09:37||#66|
|3rd November 2010, 22:57||#67|
Join Date: Jan 2010
Thanked: 86 Times
Things to carry / Vehicle check & Some generic informations
Stated below are important information of the location and things to carry during the event.
1. The terrain is around 8000 ft above sea level.
2. The climatic condition will be cold. Day temperature -/+ 20 and night -/+ 6 degree. Night excepted to be very cold, need to have warm clothing (Jackets / blankets / monkey cap and gloves)
3. Carry Mosquito repellents, apply dry salt or vicks to prevent leach bit.
4. Nearest fuel station at Munnar 42 kms from the trail. Have option of getting lose fuel (Only diesel) close to the trail at Vattavada. All the petrol vehicles fill up the tanks and carry spare fuel in case of emergency.
Service Back Up
1. We will have two local mechanics driving along during the event.
2. Only basic spares and tools will be carried by them. We urge all the participants vehicle to be equipped with full set of tool kit and spare parts.
3. For major break downs, the vehicle to be towed to Munnar at participants expenses.
4. All expenses related to break downs, repairs and services to be born by the participants.
5. Spare parts of only M&M vehicles available in Vattavada and Munnar. All other make vehicles to be serviced in Adimaly or Cochin (150kms from the trail)
Things to Carry
Recovery (Must Have)
1. Tool Box
2. Tow Rope 4000 Kg capacity
3. 2 x D shackles 4000 Kg capacity
4. First Aid Kit
5. Working Jack ( please test it before you start)
6. Wheel spanner( please test it before you start)
7. Rechargeable emergency light/Search Light (LED preferred)
8. Rechargeable LED head light with head straps.
9. Extra Fuel ( at least 5 lts)
10. Coolant ( 2 lts)
11. 5 lts of water in Jerry can ( for Radiator)
12. Fan belt
13. Spare tube
14. Few meters of thin steel wire/rope
15. Plastic “cable tie” different sizes
16. Thick Plastic rope for tying or securing stuff.
17. Jump start Cable
18. Radiator rubber hoses
19. 2 lts of Engine oil ( 1L x 2)
20. Transmission oil
21. Brake Fluid
22. U bolts for leaf springs and nuts
23. Some nuts bolts screws and metal washers of different sizes.
24. Bulbs for head light and for driving lights
25. Wiper Blades
26. Spare Fuses
27. Few meters of electrical wire
28. Spare glow plugs ( for diesel engines)
29. 4 lts drinking water per vehicle
30. Gum Boots
31. Rain coat
32. Jackets + other warm clothes
33. BSNL SIM card ( if possible)
34. Snacks / biscuits & wafers etc
Kindly revert for any further clarification.
|4th November 2010, 13:57||#68|
Happy News!! TVS Motors, Kerala is supporting GMC!
Dear Friends, Just wanted to share this happy news with you.
TV Sundram Iyengar & Sons Ltd Kerala ( TVS Motors) , Mahindra dealers and service center for entire Kerala state, has confirmed that, they will be sending a 10 man technical team for service and support for Great Mountain Challenge!! Confirmed by Mr R.Kurup, Manager, TVS Kerala. Thank you Mr. Kurup for your support. We, The GMC team all the Jeepers & Mahindra patrons really appreciate your help & support in this.
I am quoting Mr.Kurup's email below.
"Dear Mr Shibu Varghese
We are happy to provide technical support and assistance for GMC 2010. As experts hosting and technically support Mahindra Great Escape over the past few years in Kerala, TVS will depute a Team of skilled technicians/engineers for the support of GMC 2010.
Our area of coverage will be as follows:
· Mobile Service Van, with a 10 man tech Team.
· Spare parts (would require you to provide a list of probable vehicles with their make.
· We will conduct the pre-rally fitness inspection of the vehicle.
· Rescue & Tech Support enroute.
with you hamesha....
TV Sundram Iyengar & Sons Ltd Kerala "
|4th November 2010, 14:46||#70|
Senior - BHPian
Join Date: Nov 2009
Thanked: 1,275 Times
^^ This is really a great news indeed. "Shibucha, Robicha Kalakki" (Well done Shibu and Robinson). Shibu, will the Scorpio also make it?
|4th November 2010, 15:49||#71|
More over it should be come with both front and rear bumper and side steps removed and equipped with proper A/T or M/T tyres. Else the answer is No!
|4th November 2010, 20:50||#72|
Join Date: Jul 2008
Thanked: 102 Times
I am in With tigerranch and Mumbai Gang!
Cant wait for this trip,I always wanted to offroad in Munnar and thanks to Shibhu and Gang it's finally happening!
|4th November 2010, 23:37||#73|
Welcome to Gods Own Country!
Please let me or Robinson know if you guys need any help with route planning or any other logistical issues.
See you soon in Munnar!
|5th November 2010, 01:47||#74|
If you wonder who is Team GMC. Here we go
& finally your's truly JEEP Captain aka Shibu Varghese
And some more Team Pics
|6th November 2010, 11:38||#75|
Join Date: May 2004
Thanked: 18 Times
My 2 cents on removing the leaches.Carry some salt or tobacco wrapped in a handkerchief / cloth, when the leach bites just rub it around , it will fall by itself.If you do not have this the simplest is a bottle of coke/pepsi.Pour a little quantity over the leach and it falls off.
cheers and have a great event