Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2010, 20:48   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshun View Post
...I did notice engine braking two days later when I tried it out again (it can be felt only beyond 20-25 kmph - till that speed it feels as if it's in neutral).

Also thanks for the tip of switching O/D off and coming down in 3. Tried that as well, and yes it holds even on the 4x2. Phew, that's a relief!
Hmm... way to go for me to become familiar with A/T. I suppose pointers like this ought to be written in the owner's manual?
Old 26th November 2010, 11:58   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Speedy, as I said before, these cars have never been off-road, though they're extremely capable. And extremely expensive. The idea was to have a good time at short notice, not pick up damage in incapable hands. The owner has never driven off-road, and the point of this trip was to let him get familiar with his own car, not for one of us to showcase our driving skills to him with his car.
, good enough for a first time attempt, more than half the owners of such cars dont know what the cars are capable of doing. Glad to see atleast the owner made an attempt to know his car. I would not call them Extremely expensive, but yes expensive for sure. The first time my friends and me took the Range Rover Sport, X5, cayenne S and the ML for a similar drive, everyone thought we were out of our minds.

Quote:
As a point of demonstration, I took the Cayenne down that slope, which appears deceptively flat in the pics - it's actually almost 40*, and just walking down it is treacherous because of the sandy surface. The Cayenne had partly worn out HT tyres, and skidded part of the way down despite being in low-range on 1st gear, with minimal use of brakes. The Volvo may have done it, we didn't want to risk it, and the Endy doing it was completely out of the question. Suman's 4WD Safari would probably have done it, but he'd left by that time.
There is something called the down hill assist in the Cayenne. This enables the car to crawl down steep slopes with no human assist except to hold the steering pointing in the right direction. The speed for the decent can also be set by the driver. My ML and a friends cayanne S has it.
Old 26th November 2010, 15:53   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
...There is something called the down hill assist in the Cayenne. This enables the car to crawl down steep slopes with no human assist except to hold the steering pointing in the right direction. ...
That's equivalent of "No ABC" in off-roader terms for Jeeps (and a Gypsy with rock crawling gears too). You just let go of all pedal inputs and use the steering to navigate. Is quite a fun thing but instinctively unnatural to our day-to-day driving
Old 26th November 2010, 18:20   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
There is something called the down hill assist in the Cayenne.
This was the base model Cayenne, and I didn't find such a setting in the car, though the Cayenne Turbo seems to have it, so said the owner's manual. But that didn't make a difference, because when slotted into M1 (manual 1st gear) with "reduction" (low range) on, the gearbox behaved like a manual shift, and stayed locked in gear through the descent, allowing me to do "no ABC".
Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
That's equivalent of "No ABC" in off-roader terms for Jeeps (and a Gypsy with rock crawling gears too). You just let go of all pedal inputs and use the steering to navigate.
Old 27th November 2010, 00:25   #50
Senior - BHPian

I was surprised to see Roshun without his scorpio and for a moment wondered if he has swapped it for the endy. Nice pictures and what a setting for some educational fun. We should make our classrooms and schools on this model too.
Old 27th November 2010, 00:35   #51
BANNED

All those SUV's look so damn Hot in the surroundings.

But i feel this is a very mild and an ordinary track, which can be managed by a Sedan also, forgive me, maybe the pics are deceiving me.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2010, 02:21   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
All those SUV's look so damn Hot in the surroundings.

But i feel this is a very mild and an ordinary track, which can be managed by a Sedan also
Pavan, I believe you've only been admiring the pictures and not read the text at all, before inserting your comment here. You were looking for a Cayenne with water over its bonnet or all 4 wheels buried full depth in slush and mud, I presume, and my apologies for disappointing you. But no, sedans won't manage this track either. We've had other members comment that a bicycle would do this track too, but that's missing the whole purpose of the thread.

I'm afraid that though technically this thread is in the 4x4 excursions section, I'd have liked to put it into a "trying out nice cars" section, which doesn't exist on Team-BHP.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 27th November 2010 at 02:22.
Old 27th November 2010, 07:27   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

The same area was used for Trail Blazing #2 earlier in the year and the two 4x2's with us ended up needing tow even on the "flat" ground below the hill. There is another "Bund" wall where even Gypsy's failed to climb unless driven very capably.

And as SST says the whole purpose is too have a little off road fun and not indulge in all out war driving!!

Last edited by sudev : 27th November 2010 at 07:28.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2010, 15:32   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
I was surprised to see Roshun without his scorpio and for a moment wondered if he has swapped it for the endy. Nice pictures and what a setting for some educational fun. We should make our classrooms and schools on this model too.

@wanderernomad Nah! I wouldn't swap my trusty ol' Scorp for this 4x2 Endy. I was missing the Scorp on this outing, but then as I said it was a business cum pleasure trip. The Endy had to be reviewed.

You must check out that area sometime, many more trails left to check out.

@Sudev OT: When's the next trailblazing? And thanks for scoping this area out last year. It's a really nice place.

Cheers,

Last edited by Roshun : 1st December 2010 at 15:33. Reason: Addition
Old 1st December 2010, 17:04   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

@Roshun: Still waiting for those videos. Specifically the one of the Cayenne climbing down.
Old 10th November 2016, 22:56   #56
BHPian

Re: "Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road

Quote:
Quote for Notification
Hi SS-Traveller,

What is the exact location of this trail ? I plan on taking my Friends Duster 4x4 and my Ecosport.

Thanks in Advance

Most Viewed