Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2010, 11:16   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Suman looks like a hero from a Hindi film
Not from a Tollywood movie? I was about to say so...
Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
LOL! Doc, where are the other two pics taken at the top with all the T-bhp heroes ?
And there, in a nutshell, you've outlined our philosophy very well Doc.
Just attached the pics in the previous post. Our philosophy includes the picnic - good food, great conversation, and preferably, NO MUD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Now get on and show some real mud. The pedalyatris do much more than that on our cycles only - that's just the dirt track pics
Leave the cycle and the heroics for the dawn sessions, and join us with your Swift the next time.
Old 22nd November 2010, 11:50   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
But now Roshun's worried! His car needs pics taken of it, and he sets about cleaning the dust.
Cleaning the dust? He is missing the whole point! Offroad photographs are best taken with maximum dust and muck. Somebody educate him.
Old 22nd November 2010, 12:10   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

The Cayenne came up the slope equally effortlessly, and it's profile in the grass vaguely reminded me of a prowling big cat. So we had the Cayenne and the Endy sitting together at the top of the hill, and the sun was in the wrong direction for photography.

"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road-.jpg

"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road-1.jpg

"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road-2.jpg

"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road-3.jpg

Rideon takes a good look inside the Cayenne.
"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road-4.jpg

It was time to take the Endy down the slope again, and Roshun was worried that the job had to be done totally on brakes - the Endy had no engine braking even with the shifter slotted manually into "1". He decides to take it down in reverse.

"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road-5.jpg

"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road-7.jpg

"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road-8.jpg

"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road-6.jpg

"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road-9.jpg

Guess the topic of discussion? "He didn't look back even once when he took the car down the slope. How could he manage that?"

"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road-10.jpg

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 22nd November 2010 at 12:12.
Old 22nd November 2010, 16:59   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Nice pics. But the one who takes the cake is the guy wearing a SUIT . Would be the ultimate brand mascot for an SUV that wants to project "at home in corporate park + a Jungle too" kinda image.
Old 22nd November 2010, 18:09   #20
Senior - BHPian

There are many firsts in life and I for one, have for the very first time, have seen a man come for an for an offroad picnic in a suit.
Old 22nd November 2010, 18:25   #21
Senior - BHPian

He's actually the driver of the gentleman who owns the Volvo & the Porsche - not unusual to see chaffeurs in suits around these parts. Looks a tad odd but that's what it is. The other guy's a bodyguard (again, not uncommon)!
Old 22nd November 2010, 20:50   #22
Senior - BHPian

Off Topic

Quote:
Drowning cars: Ambassador. When crossing the Sone River over a fair weather causeway after Robertsganj, on our way to Ranchi.
Floated off the causeway?

There's always been a proper bridge at Chopan. So you have an OTR streak in you!

Regards
Sutripta
Old 22nd November 2010, 22:15   #23
Senior - BHPian

Is that man in a Suit.?

i mean who goes to an offroading in a suit.

I don't even go to a meeting in a suit.

Last edited by SirAlec : 22nd November 2010 at 22:16.
Old 22nd November 2010, 22:28   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Nice pics. But the one who takes the cake is the guy wearing a SUIT .
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
...a man come for an for an offroad picnic in a suit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Is that man in a Suit.?
i mean who goes to an offroading in a suit.
I've seen that man in a suit all the years I've known the gentleman who owns the Porsche & Volvo. He's the friend's driver-cum-man-Friday-cum-right-hand-man, and I've seen him in a suit even in 45*+ temps of June. The bodyguard in the safari suit also packs a piece.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Floated off the causeway?
There's always been a proper bridge at Chopan.
Nope. The Chopan bridge was unfinished in 1988 (umm... yes, that's the time since when we've been travelling between CCU & DEL ), when we were crossing there. The water was almost knee-deep, but we had no choice but to cross. Didn't float off the causeway though - the river was deep, and we'd have lost the car.
Old 23rd November 2010, 11:08   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Cleaning the dust? He is missing the whole point! Offroad photographs are best taken with maximum dust and muck. Somebody educate him.
@Samurai: Can't help it. The Endy is a 4x2 automatic, and has to look all gleaming and shiny for its pictures for publication. Was missing my 4wd Scorp for some muddy action though on this excursion. But then, this was a business cum pleasure trip.

Quote:
It was time to take the Endy down the slope again, and Roshun was worried that the job had to be done totally on brakes - the Endy had no engine braking even with the shifter slotted manually into "1". He decides to take it down in reverse.

Guess the topic of discussion? "He didn't look back even once when he took the car down the slope. How could he manage that?"

Attachment 457614
@SS-T. Haha! to quote "Mater" from the movie "Cars", "They're called rear-view mirrors" (And the Endy has really huge ones with excellent vision).

Now for some pics of the Cayenne coming down the other side of the steep hill with SS-T at the wheel and the owner grinning like he's gone down his first slide at the park as a kid.
Attached Thumbnails
"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road-cayenne1.jpg  

"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road-cayenne2.jpg  

"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road-cayenne3.jpg  

"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road-cayenne4.jpg  

"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road-cayenne5.jpg  

"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road-xc901.jpg  

"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road-endy1.jpg  

Old 23rd November 2010, 11:43   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshun View Post
Haha! to quote "Mater" from the movie "Cars", "They're called rear-view mirrors"
The folks there (esp. the ladies) were amazed at the uses mirrors could be put to!
Quote:
Now for some pics of the Cayenne coming down the other side of the steep hill...
...owner grinning like he's gone down his first slide at the park as a kid.
Thanks for those pics. Was looking forward to them. Also looking forward to the video. And any pics of the Cayenne trying that same slope upwards?
Old 23rd November 2010, 11:46   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@Samurai: Can't help it. The Endy is a 4x2 automatic, and has to look all gleaming and shiny for its pictures for publication.
I have some gleaming shots here... https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...-off-road.html

Quote:
@SS-T. Haha! to quote "Mater" from the movie "Cars", "They're called rear-view mirrors" (And the Endy has really huge ones with excellent vision).
Ah, I was guessing you may have optionally installed the reverse camera that comes standard in the 4x4 AT version.
Old 23rd November 2010, 12:11   #28
Senior - BHPian

SS-Traveller i think the Cayanne is running on the base 16" wheels and i dont mean to be rude or anything but this is a walk in the park for any of the cars above. I mean if i do all this kind of driving with 19" wheels, these would do it with ease. The actual test would be doing obstacles, nothing hardcore but light based ones to know the capability of the car and not a garden stroll. No offense meant to you or the owners, i know the cars are expensesive so the hesitation would be there.
Old 23rd November 2010, 12:37   #29
BHPian

off road? who went off road here? i opened this thread hoping to see some mud and slush and wild articulation. green fields and cute lil hillocks instead greet me. nice cars btw.
Old 23rd November 2010, 12:40   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
...the Cayanne is running on the base 16" wheels...
...this is a walk in the park...
...the cars are expensesive so the hesitation would be there.
Speedy, as I said before, these cars have never been off-road, though they're extremely capable. And extremely expensive. The idea was to have a good time at short notice, not pick up damage in incapable hands. The owner has never driven off-road, and the point of this trip was to let him get familiar with his own car, not for one of us to showcase our driving skills to him with his car.

As a point of demonstration, I took the Cayenne down that slope, which appears deceptively flat in the pics - it's actually almost 40*, and just walking down it is treacherous because of the sandy surface. The Cayenne had partly worn out HT tyres, and skidded part of the way down despite being in low-range on 1st gear, with minimal use of brakes. The Volvo may have done it, we didn't want to risk it, and the Endy doing it was completely out of the question. Suman's 4WD Safari would probably have done it, but he'd left by that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howler View Post
off road? who went off road here? i opened this thread hoping to see some mud and slush and wild articulation.
Hmm... People from Coorg (as Roshun will vouch) think this is just a drive on the highway.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 23rd November 2010 at 12:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks