Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2011, 09:36   #1
BHPian

The 2011 Alfa Kilo Challenge!

In its second year The 2011 AKC will prove to be more challenging and Fun.

I will announce the dates soon so people can plan their leave etc.
We hope to better the event from the previous years experience.
Offroaders can expect a hardcore trail and very comfortable accomodation.

Watch this space Guys.

EDIT: The AKC will be held on friday the 15th of july in the same general area as last time.The trail will be different.

Last edited by aah78 : 16th April 2011 at 09:13. Reason: Date added.
Old 14th January 2011, 10:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 2011 Alfa Kilo Challenge!

Hi Kunal,

Thanks for initiating the AKC2011.

The Chennai JEEPers had a very good time, and we enjoyed the accomodation. (I guess there were inadequate toilets).

We are looking forward to this event and hope it is longer (2days OTR) and more demanding.

I would suggest not later than July 2nd Weekend(Monsoons will be in full-swing, hopefully)

Regards,

Arka
Old 14th January 2011, 11:29   #3
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Kunal you really should take AKC to Rajasthan now as its home country of your friend and between his family and Vikram Singh etc we could have a great offroad event there
Old 14th January 2011, 11:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

Wherever it is, I hope to be there this time with my nearly done CJ340, but for a major setback reg. the XD2 engine.
So help me God this once.
Regards,
Old 14th January 2011, 11:46   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Kunal, Rajasthan is a great idea. November time please! Great weather at that time and perfect season too.

What say?
Old 14th January 2011, 11:55   #6
BHPian

If its Rajasthan, then I would also be able to participate comfortably as its my home. I have my CJ there lying unused, will need to get it checked completely as It got a bit messed up during a trip. I am keeping fingers crossed on this one.
Old 14th January 2011, 13:09   #7
Team-BHP Support

Second half of the year with multiple events combined so that it is worth the drive, my vote!
Old 14th January 2011, 13:13   #8
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Kunal, Rajasthan is a great idea. November time please! Great weather at that time and perfect season too.

What say?
Totally agree !! Been all over Rajasthan in that month and its the perfect time

We should do a Jodhpur to Jaisalmer offroad adventure across the desert, would be a riot !!
Old 14th January 2011, 13:25   #9
BHPian

rajasthan might be difficult this year, plus most participants will find it difficult to drive down.

We welcome all our Hardcore 4x4 brothers and Mumbai is centrally located for both the N and S guys so it will be an equally tough drive for all out of town participants.

I feel monsoon time is best,nothing like the Western ghats in the monsoon.

I am also leaning towards the first week of July.

It will be a 2 day event, that way we can have loads of fun but things need not be too hectic.
Old 14th January 2011, 14:02   #10
Team-BHP Support

Won't it be the same old thing in Western Ghats? I mean from Mangalore to Mumbai, I see about 1 million events every monsoon doing Ghats.
I am yet to see proper offroad events in the Desert, except for a couple of events near Jaipur which were on a smaller scale.
November is actually quite far away, so if event dates are finalized by March it is doable. Besides that there are other advantages
1. A Pre event can be held near the Rann area(Greater Rann). It will be slushy and everybody will get stuck
2. From Gujrat, the road to Jaisalmer passes some dune country. You can actually go from Barmer to Jaisalmer on dunes
3. No villager problem as these areas are very tourist friendly, and you will be welcomed
4. Many offroaders have open jeeps, and during monsoon when its pouring, many offroaders may not be too keen to drive in rain on expressways. Nov is dry and cool in these parts
5. Slush has been done to death. Time for some dune bashing
6. Trails to run on can be many kms in length. Have a 20km dune driving section, where you go from point A to point B over the sand dunes.

So unless there is a doctorine on challenges being only in slush and in the mud, things can be changed a bit?
just my 2 paisa.

Now speaking of equidistant, distance is not just in kms but time.
In monsoons, i.e Aug- Rajasthan is not aways raining. You will have sunny days with temp touching 40. How many jeepers from Delhi will be willing to endure that.
Entire north India does get high temp during monsoon time.
So while rajasthan will get you equal participation opportunity from Mumbai/Delhi/Hyd, BLR guys will have trouble, but with 6 months advance planning, they can get together and book a container truck to truck their jeeps to Jaisalmer. Cost for 4 jeeps? 30,000INR, cheaper than driving, isn't it?

Last edited by tsk1979 : 14th January 2011 at 14:04.
Old 14th January 2011, 14:41   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

+1 @tsk1979 : Some great trails and dune country. Do it in March or October. Off tourist season rates.
Old 14th January 2011, 14:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

A central India location for north and south guys would be preferred, moderate weather before or after summer (esp. which is prolonged in the north) will be ideal at an all ..mountainous, mud slush, sand etc. terrain.
This all India recee can be carried out by respectively located forum guys before finalization.
Regards,
Old 14th January 2011, 15:02   #13
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
So unless there is a doctorine on challenges being only in slush and in the mud, things can be changed a bit?
No such doctrine sir ! What you have suggested is a truly wild offroad adventure. The reason why I suggested Rajasthan is that Alfa Kilo was from there and his family and friends can make this happen in a new and challenging environment.

Like you say November is still far away for a lot of the logistics to be worked out but its such a fab time to be in Rajasthan
Old 14th January 2011, 15:09   #14
Team-BHP Support

I saw mud in RJ in the Thar thread, so do throw some mud on also. Just dune gets boring very fast. Or RJ dune + GA mud, that also would be a perfect recipe. Whatever it is, i hope its multiple days like last time. please!
Old 14th January 2011, 16:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hi Kunal,

AKC 2010 was wow wow and just wow. Looking forward for it to be more fun in 2011.
and RJ would be a great place to do it.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks