Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2011, 17:17   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: The 2011 Alfa Kilo Challenge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I saw mud in RJ in the Thar thread, so do throw some mud on also. Just dune gets boring very fast. Or RJ dune + GA mud, that also would be a perfect recipe. Whatever it is, i hope its multiple days like last time. please!
RJ is not all about sand.
In one day I have done the following within an hour
1. Sand
2. forest with sand. It was an actual forest with around 20 feet distance between trees, and the ground was all sand with tires sinking in
3. Flat Rann type surface
4. Rocky dunes combo
5. Slush - I did not venture into it as I was alone.

There are lots of dry river beds which sometimes are not exactly dry in October end.
As for dunes, its not like you keep driving straight. You have to plan your route. Not all dunes are motorable. Sometimes sand is so soft that wheels will sink in no matter what vehicle. There you need camel. That would be a challenge.
Chalk out a start point and endpoint 2kms away, through dune territory. So your navigator has to chalk out a route which allows you to do the route without getting stuck. Take too short a short cut, and you will find yourself at a dead end with a 50 feet high unclimbable dune ahead of you. Possibilities are endless.
Old 14th January 2011, 17:23   #17
Senior - BHPian

Great news Kunal. Looking forward to it. New trails??
Old 14th January 2011, 21:17   #18
BHPian

Guys to tell you the truth The AKC team has discussed holding the event in Jaipur Which was Alfa Kilo's home town.

The terrain is quite varied with sand,rocks mud,water etc.

But if we organise the event in Rajasthan it will be a 4 day drive one way from places like chennai etc.

It might not be do able for most people as costs will sky rocket for most, and We would like to see the whole 4x4 family present.

I still think the present location is good and the Trail will be much much better this time and it will be 2 full days.

We have good team here and The singh family support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Great news Kunal. Looking forward to it. New trails??
Arey Gogi Bhai, It will be rocking, trail planning has started

Last edited by GTO : 15th January 2011 at 16:30. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE functions, instead of typing back to back posts. Merging
Old 15th January 2011, 12:42   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Kunal,

What dates are you planning? We need to coordinate EXAMM and AKC dates so that it's amalgamated together (helpful for out of town guys especially).
Old 16th January 2011, 00:33   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Wherever it is, I hope to be there this time with my nearly done CJ340, but for a major setback reg. the XD2 engine.
So help me God this once.
Regards,
absolutely nothing to worry fazal saab, everything will be alright. i will join in for sure for this event. Your stickers are on its way, as soon as possible i will be at your house with it.
Old 16th January 2011, 08:36   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnan_1212 View Post
absolutely nothing to worry fazal saab, everything will be alright. i will join in for sure for this event. Your stickers are on its way, as soon as possible i will be at your house with it.
Adnan,
Thanks for the warm assurance and the stickers.
This year we will go as a bigger group from Hyd and honor AK.
Regards,
Old 16th January 2011, 10:18   #22
Senior - BHPian

Wow, let the dates come out and we'll see whether i can make it this time around..in my XXXXY. The build has not even started yet :(

Heard AKC was loads of fun courtesy Arka

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
guys will have trouble, but with 6 months advance planning, they can get together and book a container truck to truck their jeeps to Jaisalmer. Cost for 4 jeeps? 30,000INR, cheaper than driving, isn't it?
TSK: What truckers are you referring to? Is 30K for 4 vehicles both ways? What are the distances involved from Chennai to RJ and what is the best route?
Old 16th January 2011, 19:13   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Totally agree !! Been all over Rajasthan in that month and its the perfect time

We should do a Jodhpur to Jaisalmer offroad adventure across the desert, would be a riot !!
second that sir absolutely, like we say 'padhaaro mhaare des'...

we can plan all the way from Bikaner to Jaisalmer, or else if you want to include some rock crawling experience then we can try the Abu region. Its a healthy mix of ghats, sand and rocks.

sudev can get us through other possible route details I believe.
Old 16th January 2011, 19:34   #24
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoHoncho View Post
second that sir absolutely, like we say 'padhaaro mhaare des'...

we can plan all the way from Bikaner to Jaisalmer, or else if you want to include some rock crawling experience then we can try the Abu region. Its a healthy mix of ghats, sand and rocks.

sudev can get us through other possible route details I believe.

Please set the ball rolling if you can. Lets have the discussion in another thread. We have plenty of time until November.

Coming from Jodhpur side toward Udaipur you have a lot of ghats. The Jaisalmer to Jodhpur or Bikaner to Jaisalmer across the desert should be fabulous.

I remember in Navalgarh one of the Haveli owners organised cross country horse rides and he said a lot of foreigners came in just for that ride and would fly out of the country.

Rajasthan is a phenomenal place giving its spectacular and rugged terrain. Unlike what many believe there are a lot of hills and forested areas apart from the great Thar

The mountains around Udaipur are awesome. I remember spending a sunset at Sajjangarh, can never forget the vista. Even Bundi is such a lovely place. You have areas around Kota where the river runs

Last edited by DKG : 16th January 2011 at 19:36.
Old 17th January 2011, 16:25   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
What are the distances involved from Chennai to RJ and what is the best route?
I believe the preferable route would be the GQ due to easy availability or services.

Quote:
Please set the ball rolling if you can. Lets have the discussion in another thread. We have plenty of time until November.
Sure, I can definitely assist in that part of the world.

Quote:
Coming from Jodhpur side toward Udaipur you have a lot of ghats. The Jaisalmer to Jodhpur or Bikaner to Jaisalmer across the desert should be fabulous.

I remember in Navalgarh one of the Haveli owners organised cross country horse rides and he said a lot of foreigners came in just for that ride and would fly out of the country.

Rajasthan is a phenomenal place giving its spectacular and rugged terrain. Unlike what many believe there are a lot of hills and forested areas apart from the great Thar

The mountains around Udaipur are awesome. I remember spending a sunset at Sajjangarh, can never forget the vista. Even Bundi is such a lovely place. You have areas around Kota where the river runs
There is another small but great rugged patch between Ajmer and Pushkar region, these ghats are relatively steep than the ones near Udaipur. IMHO the Jodhpur division would be best bet.
Old 17th January 2011, 19:59   #26
BHPian

Guys the AKC is happening in maharashtra can we please stick to AKC relevant discussions.

Mods,Please delete irrelevant posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Kunal,

What dates are you planning? We need to coordinate EXAMM and AKC dates so that it's amalgamated together (helpful for out of town guys especially).
Sure Tejas but I think this time it will be fair if AKC is held before EXAMM,What say?

We need to work together so we can insure both Events blend seamlessly for maximum participant fun.

I think the first or second week of july should be fine.Lets see how your poll goes.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 17th January 2011 at 20:11. Reason: back to back posts
Old 17th January 2011, 20:10   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Kunal,

Whenever you do it, please ensure it is adjacent to the EXAMM OTR. For people coming from out of town, it will make the participation worth while.

EDIT: Just saw your post above and good to see that you folks are thinking on the same lines.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 17th January 2011 at 20:13.
Old 18th January 2011, 11:43   #28
Senior - BHPian

@ Kunal,

even i think organizing it outside Maharashtra will be a difficult task.

lets ensure all of us are on same page so every participant can get maximum fun out of these 2 events.

Regarding which event to held before and after i think this shouldnt be problem to Kick start with AKC this year.

all we need to ensure is that both the events shouldnt have travelling distance more than 1.30 to 2hrs.

we will meetup and disucuss.

Last edited by pdev29 : 18th January 2011 at 11:45.
Old 18th January 2011, 14:04   #29
BHPian

Fair enough guys. I am still game in it, will be looking forward to more details. I am a bit skeptical about participating in the two events together, whether the vehicles be able to sustain the stress or not is the worrying bit.
Old 18th January 2011, 14:06   #30
BHPian

Sounds good to me Devang,I probably wont see you guys on the 26th,but we should discuss things soon.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks