Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2011, 11:32   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Aavalaconda Annual OTR Recce report Jan 17th

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Jaggu - super report there and the terrain looks...destructive! This should be a fun and frustrating trail with broken vehicles and broken hearts.

What tires are those on the "D"? Is this Gypsy running crawler ratios or a 1.6L engine? Great work by Vijay Kumar.

What is the approximate trail duration from start to finish?
You coming GS? Get your Gypsy along now that you have "The Works". That Terrain is good, simple, tactical and around 20 kms long. The Bangy boys could elaborate better.

The best is the bon fire at the camp and Mrs and Mr. MPS are excellent hosts! Kudos to them for the organisation last year

Last edited by headers : 19th January 2011 at 11:36.
Old 19th January 2011, 12:12   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Jaggu - super report there and the terrain looks...destructive! This should be a fun and frustrating trail with broken vehicles and broken hearts.
Thanks Guru.

Aavalaconda has always been challenging, thanks to the unforgiving terrain it provides. In comparison to other more forgiving terrain like slush, sand etc. If one is not careful one can definitely damage/destruct and then there are areas where one cannot avoid some damage or other. MP has a very valid point, always be careful and listen to your spotters in here. Margin for error is very limited.

What we try doing by these Recce's is to minimize these damages to others, atleast by trying it out first on our own. Creating an easier approach sometimes, so that we can avoid delays etc. We are still on it!
Old 19th January 2011, 12:26   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M P Sreenivasan View Post
trail is not destructive, it is technically challenging
Good! time to test the rock sliders and transfer case guards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
You coming GS? Get your Gypsy along now that you have "The Works". That Terrain is good, simple, tactical and around 20 kms long. The Bangy boys could elaborate better
I will be there pending leave approval. My Nepal trip leave was not approved so I am hoping this smaller leave will get approval. I will know by EoD.

Quote:
The best is the bon fire at the camp and Mrs and Mr. MPS are excellent hosts! Kudos to them for the organisation last year
Looking forward to this as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Thanks Guru.

Aavalaconda has always been challenging, thanks to the unforgiving terrain it provides. In comparison to other more forgiving terrain like slush, sand etc. If one is not careful one can definitely damage/destruct and then there are areas where one cannot avoid some damage or other. MP has a very valid point, always be careful and listen to your spotters in here. Margin for error is very limited.

What we try doing by these Recce's is to minimize these damages to others, atleast by trying it out first on our own. Creating an easier approach sometimes, so that we can avoid delays etc. We are still on it!
Good to hear Jaggu. Are there going to be official spotters along the trail? This will be my first A'conda OTR so not sure.
Old 19th January 2011, 12:32   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M P Sreenivasan View Post
trail is not destructive, it is technically challenging and one should never loose concentration or avoid spotting when you are on 4 x 4 terrain!!
Hello Sir,

Avalakonda will always be a highly regarded event among the Chennai JEEPers. We are eagerly looking forward to this event.

If the route has been determined, is it possible to send a work party to clear the shrubs/bush/branches, where possible.

1) This will improve visibility, aid spotting and communication
2) Driving over branches and Thorns will definitely take a toll on the tyres.

Regards,

Arka
Old 19th January 2011, 13:07   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Good to hear Jaggu. Are there going to be official spotters along the trail? This will be my first A'conda OTR so not sure.
You really want me to be the official spotter? People who know me will not even let me near anything remotely related to spotting.

We all plan to help if it is required, official or unofficial to our level best. Idea is to make this event safe and enjoyable.
Old 19th January 2011, 15:26   #51
Senior - BHPian

Organizers,

1 request. Can you please set up flags/route directions at few places. Especially ones where you said in page.3 it is easy to loose sense of direction...
Old 19th January 2011, 16:23   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Organizers,

1 request. Can you please set up flags/route directions at few places. Especially ones where you said in page.3 it is easy to loose sense of direction...
+1,

Also, can you have the marshals every 5 or 10 vehicles. Last year, the terra tigers were at the tail and lost the crowd post lunch. Of course the darkness and a couple of unexpected causalities delayed the group too.

Also mandatory water bottles [1L x 2] per person and snack box for the looong waits..really really appreciated.

Any map of the route welcome!

Oops..maybe I am asking too much eh? Sorry folks

Last edited by headers : 19th January 2011 at 16:27.
Old 19th January 2011, 16:59   #53
Senior - BHPian

Jaggu,
You all are doing a great job on the ground.
It just occurred to me that the tests are being carried out your specialized SPoA Gypsies and still bruising their bellies.
How do you feel lesser GC and articulation vehicles are going to fare there?
You may overcome obstacles with your vehicles. A suggestion, set parameters keeping in mind, Vehicles which are not as specialized as yours.
Regards,

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 19th January 2011 at 17:04.
Old 19th January 2011, 17:30   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hello Sir,

Avalakonda will always be a highly regarded event among the Chennai JEEPers. We are eagerly looking forward to this event.

If the route has been determined, is it possible to send a work party to clear the shrubs/bush/branches, where possible.

1) This will improve visibility, aid spotting and communication
2) Driving over branches and Thorns will definitely take a toll on the tyres.

Regards,

Arka
Hi Arka,
This time we are marking and routing to avoid all the possible confusions and damage to the tyre and vehicle. At all the technical sections we will have spotters to guide the jeepers.
with warm regards
mpsreeni.
Old 19th January 2011, 17:43   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
How do you feel lesser GC and articulation vehicles are going to fare there?
You may overcome obstacles with your vehicles. A suggestion, set parameters keeping in mind, Vehicles which are not as specialized as yours.
Regards,
To be honest, some parts of the trail are very challenging and prone to damages for the stock vehicles.. this trail is not suitable for 1 litre gypsys et all..
Old 19th January 2011, 18:15   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
To be honest, some parts of the trail are very challenging and prone to damages for the stock vehicles.. this trail is not suitable for 1 litre gypsys et all..
and the reason being?
Old 19th January 2011, 18:16   #57
BHPian

ROFL.. I was wondering if siddu is reading this.
Old 19th January 2011, 18:24   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
and the reason being?
a new trail which you haven't done before
Old 19th January 2011, 18:40   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
a new trail which you haven't done before

oh ok... is it a ground clearance problem? or crawl ratio problem or something else? and what about 82 cj500 and 88 mm 540?
Old 19th January 2011, 19:04   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
oh ok... is it a ground clearance problem? or crawl ratio problem or something else? and what about 82 cj500 and 88 mm 540?
Its the crawl ratio and articulation problem. the climb needs a good amount of torque and revvs. the climb is also diagonal and a big ditch on the left side. so speed will not help and if you can slip into the ditch which can cause some damages. my cj and mm will not do this but can do the rest. the rest is boulders, i mean its not a trail.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks