Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2011, 15:02   #16
BANNED

Re: Extreme Offroaders Republic Day OTR (Mahape)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
???? What do you mean? We wanted to break GS's gypsy?
Only his ? tell your real plans

Quote:
Why do you keep flogging the
dead horse?
Sorry , next time it will be a live one

Quote:
You guys could have come if you wanted to... Bombay guys did go to Lavasa if memory serves me correct.
Who is gona wake up at 3.00 am, to leave pune at 4.00 am ( to reach Mumbai at 7.00)

Lavasa's meeting point was close to Ex-way & that too at 10.00 am ( TEN ) & you missed that too ( or may be you did a night reci the day before : LOL )

Sudarshan

P.S. @ pdev 29 -Hey dont take it seriously , we will do it together by 15 th Aug . humare pas time hai ( we still have time )

@ Gautam - Great pics , spl. the latest ones .

Last edited by Sudarshan : 27th January 2011 at 15:08.
Old 27th January 2011, 15:10   #17
Senior - BHPian

guys over 100 pics on fb. If anyone is free then take it from Extreme Offroaders page and post it here. I am sorry i am at work so cant be on FB for long time.
Old 27th January 2011, 15:12   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
Who is gona wake up at 3.00 am, to leave pune at 4.00 am ( to reach Mumbai at 7.00)

Lavasa's meeting point was close to Ex-way & that too at 10.00 am ( TEN ) & you missed that too ( or may be you did a night reci the day before : LOL )
Sudarshan, the time was preponed after pune guys backed out. FYI, 3 vehicles did come from pune. Did you once even ask for the time to be postponed? NO you did not. What is the point you are trying to make? Please spell it out.

Mahape is 15 mins from the E-way.
Old 27th January 2011, 15:23   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Did you once even ask for the time to be postponed? NO you did not.
I was sick ( very true ask anyone) the day before, so even for Pune OTR I didn't confirm till 8.00 pm ( on 25th) .

Quote:
What is the point you are trying to make? Please spell it out.

Ahh , nothing , Just joking about Guru's breakdown after that Jump

Sudarshan
Old 27th January 2011, 16:17   #20
Senior - BHPian

@Sudarshan - there is nothing to joke about. Thank you. If you can explain why it is happening to my vehicle despite other vehicles being driven just as hard it will make sense. Are we not packing the grease properly when we fit new bearings? IS there an alternative heavy-duty bearing or bushing that I can use instead of these parts? SHould I be shopping for brand bearings? which brand?
Old 27th January 2011, 16:45   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
@Sudarshan - there is nothing to joke about. Thank you. If you can explain why it is happening to my vehicle despite other vehicles being driven just as hard it will make sense. Are we not packing the grease properly when we fit new bearings? IS there an alternative heavy-duty bearing or bushing that I can use instead of these parts? SHould I be shopping for brand bearings? which brand?
OK ,
Can you put this in a new thread on 4x4 technical ? we can discuss it there, as I think I can help . Here this will be a little OT .

Also please mention the occurrence in detail ( if its happening repeatedly to a particular part at a particular side etc ) , so it will be easy for us to find some solution . Also please mention your Gypsy model , so I will dig something for you in that particular problem .

Now the Joke part , I am really SORRY , I will explain when I will meet you . Its My bad , apologies , please accept . I don't do things like this , here I messed up .

Sorry bro ,

Sudarshan
Old 27th January 2011, 18:40   #22
Senior - BHPian

There were so many guys with cameras, whats with all of you? Pics post karo yaar!!

Kudos to Allen for digging out a completely different trail that the ones we did the last so many times. I though it would be almost the same trail but was completely different. Excellent in fact. This terrain was muddy (dry mud) and rocky. I did recognize some parts as the ones visited earlier but now what was a stream or river earlier had dried up, revealing a rocky bed.

Thanks Imran for the lovely chicken puffs. Someone from Andheri please take a note of this bakery's address and send me a few soon

Soumya, hope the CJ's fine now.

Guru, our friendly neighborhood happy man, undertaker (for the coffin sized cool box-though missing this time) and gadget guru (every time he has some new gadget with him, this time a tyre pressure gauge that looked like a golf clubs bottom end) Hope Geoff's problem is diagnosed so that you dont have to go through the ordeal again.

Tejas and Jiggy for playing pilot to my jeep enroute

.....and the whole lot of you who came and enjoyed this event.

Nice to see Ramie anna and his group come in and enjoy the OTR as well. Im sure the next otr will see many new enthusiasts.

I have a few observations though and its about those who dont respect the timings and schedules and rules.

Timings for those who came in not a few minutes late (grace 30 minutes) but those who came in later, one half, one and a half hour late. People, realize that you are holding up the entire band wagon because of your irresponsibility. For the next time i suggest everyone leaves on time (well almost) and let those who came in late, join the gang at their convenience. No point making people who turned up at the dot of time or earlier, wait for the lordships.

Second please guys, stop behaving impatient. The line up is for a cause and everyone is there to tackle a trail, so wheres the point of butting in and trying to barge into the line up? I was really upset with a lot of guys who were doing that and also sounded off one chap with a white Gypsy. He realized and apologized too but why make someone tell you this. Its basic responsibility. You are involved in a responsible and potentially dangerous sport so caution should be the first thing in your book.

Third, for the last time, people with no experience and spotting skills, STOP!! You are endangering the lives of those driving and trusting you.

Lastly, i strongly suggest we keep this and other such events strictly as an invitation only event. By this i mean those who confirm and can come and the regulars ONLY. This firstly, creates groupism and then then we have trouble with those who are rash, dont know a damn about off roading and dont want to listen. This makes the organizers responsible for more they had bargained for. This is not an event about making money, or distributing trophys or showing off what you can do by tackling the obstacle by another, more dangerous route or about winning or loosing at all, so, i suggest we keep it strictly within the circle of those who are known, except for those who come in from these very people's refresher. Not acting stuck up but i know each one of you will agree.

In no way am i trying to discourage newbies (i welcome them in fact) but please come in through a strong reference. Comments please.
Old 27th January 2011, 20:11   #23
BHPian

I agree with you Gogi.

We are seeing a lot of new faces,which is a good thing but sadly a lot of them are difficult to control and tend not to listen??

I also agree on the spotting part, but what is worse is no spotters at all or 2 guys shouting in unison.

I think everybody should announce who is spotting for them before the obstacle. rest should back off unless the vehicle gets stuck and more need to help.That way confusion can be avoided.

In Pune at the Wagholi republic day OTR , i had no spotter :( most of the time and had to keep jumping off the jeep to check where i was relative to the terrain,a real pain in the ***.
Old 27th January 2011, 20:21   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Why do you think i stopped spotting gogs? Only when you called i used to come and spot. Every thread, every fb event page i've said only one person spots (and then labelled as "BOSSY") but then herd mentality takes over and mayhem happens. Therefore, i keep quiet.
Old 27th January 2011, 20:40   #25
Senior - BHPian

The beauty of following in convoy is that you don't really need a spotter if you know the guy driving in front...and the capabilities of your vehicle viz. theirs. The trail while I lasted was easy to cover thanks to the tracks left by Orangie and of course Mayapuri-Munni. Where I let myself down was watching them crawl over that crested climb...trying, getting bottomed out and then trying again with too much power. The trance was broken simply because the Gypsy did not have the departure angle capability of the Jeep and while my tires and lockers were a DREAM in letting the vehicle climb without any drama, the crest did me in. Lesson learnt!

I did something similar in Alibaug the first time round...fixed my technique when I visited Alibaug more recently and now it is back again to haunt me. I really need to get my mind to accept that getting some belly time with the ground is fine.

Didn't have a chance to get tripped up by the newbies (I was determined to stay in front because I didn't know the trail...and I didn't want to get caught up behind the Pajero/Fortuner/Safari and the new Gypsy). Sadly my trail ended right after the jump.

Missed the friggin chicken puffs also!!! Inexcusable :(
Old 27th January 2011, 20:46   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocamp View Post

I think everybody should announce who is spotting for them before the obstacle. rest should back off unless the vehicle gets stuck and more need to help.That way confusion can be avoided.
I agree + 100% to that .

Quote:
In Pune at the Wagholi republic day OTR , i had no spotter :( most of the time and had to keep jumping off the jeep to check where i was relative to the terrain,a real pain in the ***.
This was the first time I observed your driving carefully( & also of others ),so next time you can expect my help on this .

I don't have a confidence for spotting any one till I know the guys ability .

Any ways the spotting person should be totally free for the job , driving your vehicle & spotting is difficult (at least for me ) in short only few designated /dedicated people or a person of drivers choice should do it .

Sudarshan
Old 27th January 2011, 20:57   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
In no way am i trying to discourage newbies (i welcome them in fact) but please come in through a strong reference. Comments please.
Gogi: I doubt that the 'people' that you are referring to read the 4x4 threads.
So it is for upto all of us to take responsiblity for the people we 'invite'. Like you did for Bharat!

If there are a lot of newbies then a small laying down the law/briefing session may make sense in the beginning and all the regulars should also listen and not be bored.

One of the guys (driving the new gypsy) got an earful from me once, but later drove sensibly, avoiding some obstacles he was not confident of, understanding why flying through an obstacle may earn ooh and aahs from his friends (especially the female ones) but will mess up his vehicle big time. So maybe one solution is to pair newbies with the people who refer them or someone volunteering for the same (I know it sounds terribly formal but dont have a better solution).

I do not know how to stop the 'friend' of a 'friend' phenomenon without prior confirmation unless we turn them back.

Last edited by genesis : 27th January 2011 at 20:59.
Old 27th January 2011, 21:03   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Being strict leads to bad blood and name calling. I've learnt it the hard way. And i'm no hero / sage / leader to not care about it and do the right thing. Now i just keep quiet, watch the fun and spot for friends who i know won't feel bad. (Like i shouted and teased guru in alibag).
Old 27th January 2011, 21:05   #29
BHPian

Right on soumya,its not about how much air your vehicle gets but how much skill you apply to get over the obstacle,though a lot of the guys would not miss a chance to strutt their stuff

I seriously think we should keep these OTRs small,at least the ones that are deemed tougher than usual.

The simpler ones can be used to root out the not so serious guys.

I think we should concentrate on quality instead of quantity.
Old 27th January 2011, 21:08   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Being strict leads to bad blood and name calling. I've learnt it the hard way. And i'm no hero / sage / leader to not care about it and do the right thing. Now i just keep quiet, watch the fun and spot for friends who i know won't feel bad. (Like i shouted and teased guru in alibag).
Come on man,dont take it so personally...do your stuff,dont let people get you down.

If we keep the group small and stick to known guys we wont have to be strict.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks