TLC & Dwarak

Cheers
Sunil
Old 30th January 2011, 18:23   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore Aavalakonda Annual OTR 2011 | Participants Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I also got a sidewall hole on the rear tyre....
I warned you... this trail is for 16-18 psi max on Radials. Catchkumar's front NDMS cracked a full 5 inches even with 15Psi. Looks like NDMS is good with 8-10 here.

Didnt know about the steering box too. Share the post OTR pump pipe thing too. Did it come up again?
Old 30th January 2011, 20:54   #18
Team-BHP Support

^^^ Its really not a sidewall hole, its just a pinhole puncture at the thread edge. Can be fixed easy with tubeless tire repair, none of us were carrying it and hence couldn't attend to.

I have been observing Sharath's CJ since day one and even i told him that DwArF had better turning radii with same size tyre, so i guess it was lose/broken before he entered the trail.
Old 30th January 2011, 20:57   #19
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I must say, I took the decision of joining you all in Avalakonda at 8:00pm on 27th January and overnight drove the Jeep to the spot. I had gala time and it was fun watching all the colorfu and purposeful offroaders.

Thanks to all the organisers, Jeepers and Friends for the wonderful event. A special thanks to Dwarak for sending me a special invitation ;-)

I think I'm the only one lost the jungle track twice in the two days event. (one in the night and one in the noon)

Last edited by trammway : 30th January 2011 at 20:59.
Old 30th January 2011, 21:11   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaboost View Post
Where was the sidewall damaged? Was it on the inside? I remember we looked at the tyre and could not find any visible damage even though air was leaking. Remember we thought it was a puncture.
Yeah, it was an open hole, so the air was continuously escaping. It is pretty close to the contact patch, yet on the sidewall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Didnt know about the steering box too. Share the post OTR pump pipe thing too. Did it come up again?
What pump pipe thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
^^^ Its really not a sidewall hole, its just a pinhole puncture at the thread edge. Can be fixed easy with tubeless tire repair, none of us were carrying it and hence couldn't attend to.
Already fixed today. It doesn't touch the ground, so technically it is sidewall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I have been observing Sharath's CJ since day one and even i told him that DwArF had better turning radii with same size tyre, so i guess it was lose/broken before he entered the trail.
I suspect you are right. I think it broke at Manipal itself, I experienced under-steering few times in the acute turns of ghat section enroute to Bangalore. But it didn't repeat once I hit the straight roads after chikmagalur. So I forgot all about it.

The first day's OTR must have loosened the steering box bolts too, and it went on deteriorating. I was feeling I was turning a hummer instead of a Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
I think I'm the only one lost the jungle track twice in the two days event. (one in the night and one in the noon)
I was glad to meet you, although unexpected. You weren't technically lost on the first day, you were in the convoy.
Old 30th January 2011, 21:36   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What pump pipe thing?
That return pipe pulled out of the pump and your jeep was leaking fuel when you finished the day2 trail... We only did a simple fix there, may be it needs a new tighter pipe.
Old 30th January 2011, 21:53   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
That return pipe pulled out of the pump and your jeep was leaking fuel when you finished the day2 trail... We only did a simple fix there, may be it needs a new tighter pipe.
Wow! I apologise. With the problems that followed, I forgot all about it. My diesel return pipe had come undone. It was leaking most of the day until you noticed it. Thanks very much Santosh.
Old 30th January 2011, 22:09   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was glad to meet you, although unexpected. You weren't technically lost on the first day, you were in the convoy.
Feeling mutual. Kudos to you and the people who worked on your Jeep, it was tastefully done up.

Oh boy, didn't we get lost. I was laughing the whole of next day remembering the phrase "I was leading the convoy and thinking everyone follows me". It was thrilling experience to us following you in the dark. You know what Vijay and Raj who were on my Jeep keep saying that there were bears on the forest and we were looking out for one behind us.

Last edited by Samurai : 30th January 2011 at 22:57. Reason: rule#11
Old 30th January 2011, 22:15   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like you have taken lots of action shots despite driving your vehicle.
Samurai,
I was not driving the jeep. I am the one who spoke to you before leeving the camp site regarding mm540.
My camera's battery drained for no reason after the water crossing. Hence i dont have 2nd days photos. Here is the last few from my side.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore Aavalakonda Annual OTR 2011  | Participants Report-dscn0103.jpg  

Bangalore Aavalakonda Annual OTR 2011  | Participants Report-dscn0105.jpg  

Bangalore Aavalakonda Annual OTR 2011  | Participants Report-dscn0106.jpg  

Bangalore Aavalakonda Annual OTR 2011  | Participants Report-dscn0107.jpg  

Old 30th January 2011, 22:18   #25
Senior - BHPian

LOL Samu... Your signature is going to remain for some more time I suppose
Old 30th January 2011, 22:55   #26
BHPian

The event was fun, we Hyderabad jeepers had a very good time.

Day 1

Starting from the parking lot there was a small rocky obstacle which was done with ease i think by most of the participants .
The first obstacle was a decline followed by a rocky incline again was easy for the cj3b shod with NDMS.

The second obstacle somehow did not have a spotter and i failed to overcome this , later guys from our team came and spotted and made sure i made it through.

The third obstacle was a long climb where only the experienced jeepers could clear in one go with out being winched out.
The gypsy ,our two 3bs ,the Fj40,and the 550s all did it on their own in one shot. I must mention the NDMS were pure non directional magic show.Never did they spin , lose traction and allowed me to crawl all along.

Post lunch we attempted the last obstacle of the day and just crawled up with ease .The vehicles shod with all terrain and mud terrain in our group were losing traction easily.

The thar was right behind my jeep on day one , it did the trail easily and could do more .

Day 2

The first obstacle was a river crossing , my engine died halfway through due to the wrong instructions give by the marshals present that is gun it in 2nd low full throttle.

This mistake made the water to enter the distributor and stall the engine. The crossing could have easily be done much slower and the ground below the water was quite hard. This time i was asked to get down in the water and hook on the tow rope , which i refused . The FJ40 from our team in front of me turned back and winched me out .

All the vehicles with problems were winched out the by the marshals on day 1 in the third obstacle , then i guess there was a change in the rule on day two.

The second obstacle was a cake walk followed the the final mammoth hill climb.
The rocks were an issue in the entry ,but with Akra being there , my jeep driven by my friend Abinav cleared with no issues , he even shifted to 2nd low after the climb till he reached the top.

Kudos to the organizers ,food was amazing in the morning and night . Lunch was not edible and most of us could not even eat half of it.

Thank you guys for taking the pain to see that we have a good time.

I would like to thank the following people on behalf of the Hyderabad boys.

Dwarak
Jaggu
Shanawaz
Prithvi
Swastik Viji
Aditya <Viji s son>
Mp Srinivasan
Vinay thomas
Chetan
Arka

And everyone associated with the event .
Old 31st January 2011, 00:04   #27
BHPian

I see a LWB with Lamda written on it, were the sponsors? How did LWB perform on a terrian like this?

Regards
Old 31st January 2011, 07:33   #28
Senior - BHPian

The lambda lwb lost some part of its 4wd capability (it became a 2wd). i towed it for the last 2-3 kms till tarmac on end of day1. Its (home made) hydraulic winch was put to the test and the only recovery i saw was of beejay (bennys cj340) up the robins topple slope - it struggled a lot. Could not do a clean pull and the wire rope kept slacking every 2-3 seconds. Still needs a LOT of development...
Old 31st January 2011, 10:06   #29
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to the team for organising the event. I enjoyed every part of it. Hope to be there again, soon.
Was a pleasure to see many people drive with absolute finesse. The way the terrain was planned was brilliant which needed patience and good spotting, I realised that when I got stuck where the jeeps toppled.
The marshals were perfect, yet it was sad that some people did not listen.
Lunch could have been a bit better or maybe it was the heat that took a toll on me and I could not eat much.
And yes, thanks Santosh for tugging my bumpers back into place. I do not have many pictures, only a few clicked on my phone. Will share here soon.
Old 31st January 2011, 10:38   #30
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations to the organizers and participants of this well planned and executed event. Some parts of the track were real tough and ended up in topples for a couple of Jeeps, but no injuries, Thank God.

The short 3B's did fairly well on NDMS than expected.
I was Jeep less otherwise would love being there with you all in my CJ340, along with the Hyderabad group who had a grand time.

Great action and photographs, looking forward to more.
Regards,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks