Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2011, 10:11   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Extreme Offroaders - off-road to breakdown hell (tungarli)

Well...I think this thread pretty much squelches the rumor that the laws physics are mysteriously suspended at Tungarli. That story about the mm540 floating on top of the water was probably exaggerated just a bit.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 8th March 2011 at 10:29.
Old 8th March 2011, 10:48   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Well...I think this thread pretty much squelches the rumor that the laws physics are mysteriously suspended at Tungarli. That story about the mm540 floating on top of the water was probably exaggerated just a bit.
@DirtyDan: Wicked Wierd!

Dont know about Physics, but the laws of chemistry did work, especially about oil and water not mixing as well as laws of thermodynamics!
Old 8th March 2011, 11:28   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I think we all see the extreme videos in You-tube and many such sites and imagine ourselves, in our vehicle, attempting the same feat. Our vehicles are not prepared for that kind of extremity. Period! This is like when one used to come out of a theater after watching a Bruce Lee film, for atleast a few hours later, we all thought ourselves to be the Legend himself. I think this works the same way for some of us.

It does not make sense to me when some of us knowing the perils, will still drive in unknown water depths just to be different. What are we proving by this, that we are more gutsy? I dont think so. I think secretly a lot of the onlookers looks at these and laugh at the ones attempting. I think its a misunderstood display of manhood.
I'll talk about myself bhai, as i do not know what others do.

I do not waste my time watching extreme offroad videos on you-tube or any other site and thinking that is easy and i can do it. I know our cars are not equipt to handle their kind of terrains or the kind of offroad done here in India. We are still budding and not bloomed yet.

I only went from where i did, cause i was asked too. There was no display of manhood or gutsy or anything on these lines. I had never crossed a pond or water of this depth, so was a little unsure of things. I do like to learn and in doing so we dont allways succeed, do we?. A lesson learnt the hard way and it teaches us to improve for the next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Therefore be really weary of putting the Vehicle through water, especially muddy water. Water invites, rust and screws up many components, not to mention entering the cabin and making things really dirty and soggy. Its another thing to drive in the rain and another to take the vehicle in the water for a dunk. After all,its not amphibious is it?
Bhai, so in that case why do we include water, slush etc in any OTR around the country. We should not right, but we still do, and in the future will also. So should we can a trail if the only way of going across is a water body, or park our cars there and hop in with someone else who is going ahead? We dont do that, we still go through.

These are cars and under various conditions would break down and not that these were the only cars that have broken down or this the only event that it has happened bhai. Yes we need to learn discipline and know your car and things to do better. In my case things to do, It was a first for me and i was doing what was being told.

Anyways guys the Thar is gonna be rebuilt and i dont think we need to turn this into a Thar thread. It was a learning experience and i just increased my knowledge on things. So the next time i am better prepared.
Old 8th March 2011, 11:36   #34
BHPian

Just recovered from my Sunstroke ..

First things first - Although this could have been far worse than it turned out and is made to look like; everyone needs to start seeing the lighter/positive side of things as well..

Having said this, chaos theories must be avoided if we are to increase the fun factor.

Paras/Ibu/Abhishek - Come on guys.. some of the self inflicted damages could have been easily avoided and should be avoided in the future! Nevertheless, now you know better..

Soumya - You are going to give yourself a stroke of some kind if you continue running around to cater to everyone's needs. Aren't you glad you didn't get the CJ along!!

Devang / Imran & Faisal / Amol - You guys were a god sent to most of the stranded vehicles. Most of us were glad to have you with us that day.

Kishore - As always, it was good to see you in high spirits.. and again, most of us were glad to have you with us that day as the official recovery vehicle.. Great work Kunal..

Imran Ladak - Thanks heaps for getting / sharing your dad's creation (I'm not refering to you) - the Potatoes was exactly what we needed or we would have had a few human casualties out of hunger!!

I really had a great time and it has always been a great learning experience for me (that includes the un-learning part as well).

The Jonga had its first decent run-in about 200 Kms (120* kms of which was PERFECT, for lack of a better word). She did not offroad due to doctors orders and some moderate levels of self-control!!

We were doing ~ 70kmph + at 15% - 20% throttle consistently and the brute drives like a car - Throttle response is mind-numbing for a vehicle as heavy as this, all thanks to a completely rebuilt motor.

About 60* Kms on the way back was a nightmare for those who had to tow it back (Fuel filter/pump issues) - A big thank you to Manan, Devang, Soumya, Ibu, Paras and Imran here - Couldn't have done it without you'll as I was inches away from passing out due to the exhaustion!!

Manan - I owe you a clutch assembly mate.. Couldn't have hauled the Jonga back home without the "Mix and Match".

Once again, as I mentioned earlier, Although this could have been far worse than it turned out and is made to look like; everyone needs to start seeing the lighter/positive side of things as well.. I have had the privilege and opportunity to learn from other peoples mistakes and am thankful to everyone in the most optimistic manner here.

Thank you in anticipation.

Cheers..
Prasad

Last edited by R32_GTR : 8th March 2011 at 11:41.
Old 8th March 2011, 12:21   #35
Senior - BHPian

Imran Ladak - the food was incredible...thank your parents on my behalf PLEASE!

Prasad - I need a ride in the Jonga. Mahape this weekend?

Yes...we did have TONS of fun. Towards the end as the sun attacked our heads some tempers did rise but nothing flared. I really do believe we should start earlier and get out earlier as well. I really struggled with the heat on the ride back home. The air coming through my helmet vents felt like the blast from a furnace!

Night OTRs from here on I think?
Old 8th March 2011, 12:36   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Prasad - I need a ride in the Jonga. Mahape this weekend?
Sounds good!! But has to be very early in the morning - I ain't going "head to head" with the Sun again!! Lets take this offline
Old 8th March 2011, 12:51   #37
BHPian

harrowing but fun in a way too , OTR.
I agree i shouldnt have taken that approach , but the only way for me to know that was try it , Ibu had done it from a slightly different angle , I followed Imran's angle , Faisal was driving , gypsy with 31 inch tires , and he cleared it , i guess the 2 inch tire difference was the key.
I usually like to try out the difficult route(that other vehicles have done) at least once before going the easy way . It is nothing to do with proving my manhood or being macho it probab is squeesing out every ounce of fun from an otr.
I am really gratefull to everyone who pulled out the transfer case for me , I knew jack about it and was just trying to help un successfully and trying to look busy.
Thanks a ton Soumya , Prasad ,Devang ,Imran ,Faisal and Kishore for coming back and towing me out .
Soumya and Imran your food was yummy i am salivating at the thought of thoes potatoes and dat chutney.
It wasn't that bad , no one got cranky , and it was fun sitting on the dark side . The yummy lunch at 4 pm gave us the energy for the expressway part with ibu's gypsy stalling and not cranking , never pushed a vehicle soo many times .
Looking forward to next weekend so i can off road rather than being a spectator after one obstacle .

Prasad your jonga looks evil . it's on my wishlist.

Last edited by paras211 : 8th March 2011 at 13:06.
Old 8th March 2011, 13:19   #38
BHPian

prasad-no need to say thanks mate !

no matter how much stuff we broke
no matter how much stupidity people were doing
no matter how difficult and tiring it was to tow the jonga back in traffic

this otr was the most fun i have had in ages !

here is my prop shaft -
Attached Thumbnails
Extreme Offroaders - off-road to breakdown hell (tungarli)-img00712201103081259.jpg  

Extreme Offroaders - off-road to breakdown hell (tungarli)-img00713201103081259.jpg  

Old 10th March 2011, 14:20   #39
Senior - BHPian

I think a lot of you have taken my last line, strictly general upon yourselves. Well it was not meant for you or any individual alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
I'll talk about myself bhai, as i do not know what others do.

I do not waste my time watching extreme offroad videos on you-tube or any other site and thinking that is easy and i can do it. I know our cars are not equipt to handle their kind of terrains or the kind of offroad done here in India. We are still budding and not bloomed yet.
As i said above Abhi, i was not referring to You or any particular individual. Its when a group mentality takes over. Thats the time to get your bearings together and decide for yourself, whatever you want to decide so dont take this as personally.

What i meant for you, was when i said that you should have not started the Thar when it was clearly under water. Also with a capable vehicle like that one tends to get a little overconfident....about ones vehicle i mean. That cardinal mistake could have cost you your gasket. No worries, you have learnt from a mistake which could have been avoided. No lessons here, you know i will always call a spade a spade.

Quote:
I only went from where i did, cause i was asked too. There was no display of manhood or gutsy or anything on these lines. I had never crossed a pond or water of this depth, so was a little unsure of things. I do like to learn and in doing so we dont allways succeed, do we?. A lesson learnt the hard way and it teaches us to improve for the next time.
I know you didi what u were told to. Its them i blame for egging on and you for listening to them. Thats what i meant to control ones own self when there are others egging you to go on. Learning is great and we all learn through our own mistakes which is a great sign and i have seen this in you from the beginning which i respect a lot but i only think you gave the Thar too much credit (not discrediting it in any way) for clearing things on its own. One can see that the Thar is not built for purely off roading, it has to be converted to a more capable off roading vehicle. I think you put more confidence in your vehicle that yourself. See the difference when you off road in your Fortuner. There it is the Man and machine together. Here you need to get yourself back into the helm and take over and show tha Thar whos the Alpha guy. The Thar will not do wonders. Just my observation so please guys dont make this out to be a Thar bashing thread. Seriously if it were any better priced, i would have got one myself, i love the vehicle.!!

Quote:
Bhai, so in that case why do we include water, slush etc in any OTR around the country. We should not right, but we still do, and in the future will also. So should we can a trail if the only way of going across is a water body, or park our cars there and hop in with someone else who is going ahead? We dont do that, we still go through.
Water and slush is always a part but that is always checked, chartered and tried. Slush or water on the other hand is never waist deep. A least not in the OTRs i have been to. Remember this is a fun thing not a competition. In a competition, its about competing, not in out otrs. At least not yet and i hope it remains this way. I have seen in almost all otrs there is always someone to try to do things from another angle and if they succeed, others will follow. Follow you must but when one gets stuck, then anther and then another, i think one must also learn not to take that route.

Quote:
These are cars and under various conditions would break down and not that these were the only cars that have broken down or this the only event that it has happened bhai. Yes we need to learn discipline and know your car and things to do better. In my case things to do, It was a first for me and i was doing what was being told.
I dont think there were even a fraction of break downs in much more rigorous terrains like the EXAMM and the AKC. Also with the amount of vehicles participating in those events compare the causalities and the kind of casualties .

Its very simple, here, more casualties were encountered because of the lack of discipline and you guys know that.

Anyways, lesson learnt lets move on!
Old 10th March 2011, 16:21   #40
BHPian

Amazing thread this!!!
Your discussions have painted a better picture than the photographs themselves. I could actually smell the petrol, the burnt oil, feel the slush and all the action.
For a third person this was a great read.
Long time since I actually read each and every word in a thread.
Beautiful - the arguments, the defences, the experiences.
All in all; theories aside, i feel you guys had a great time!
Old 10th March 2011, 17:21   #41
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett_t16 View Post
here is my prop shaft -
HOLY MACKEREL. Get a nice wooden case made for it with a glass cover and keep it in your dining room.
Old 10th March 2011, 17:50   #42
Senior - BHPian

To prove that this was VERY doable, here is a Gypsy crossing with HT tires...no further discussion is needed. I'll post the video tomorrow (away from any usable bandwidth at the moment) so this series of frames from the video should do for now.

The Approach:

Quick check with spotter to verify the track and attitude to begin fording:

Steady low throttle input moving forward...less wave created in front this way:

Rear tires in the water, increased throttle input and held steady from here until clearing the water despite the upcoming dip and exhaust going underwater.

The Dip..steady throttle

The rear enters the dip as well. Vehicle is now completely in the deepest part of the crossing:

Front starts the climb out:

HT tires struggle a bit here for traction but throttle input increased slightly and held steady:

Front out of the water...no let up on throttle

Rear clears the obstacle - throttle input lowered to a crawl up the gradient

THAT is how it is done despite not having appropriate tires for off-roading. Steady throttle inputs that only increase through the obstacle - never backing off until he is clear of the water. Entering slowly to prevent a high bow wave and splashing inside the engine bay.

Technique + ensuring vehicle was on the right path - not a question of what vehicle/IFS/paper filter etc.

If we put this obstacle on EXAMM nobody would even talk about it 10 minutes later...lets not create a drama here.

Last edited by gsferrari : 10th March 2011 at 17:57.
Old 10th March 2011, 21:03   #43
Team-BHP Support

Hey this is very doable i think, unless people had dug up this particular approach or moved further to the deeper side?
Old 10th March 2011, 21:15   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Hey this is very doable i think, unless people had dug up this particular approach or moved further to the deeper side?
There was a bit of digging up which happened probably happened after the first few vehicles crossed. This was definitely not a undoable obstacle.

I would not have attempted it on my CJ though. (I hate water and slush)

In retrospect, the last parts of the day was like watching the Indian cricket team in a batting order slide. No power on earth could save us on the path to self destruction

Last edited by genesis : 10th March 2011 at 21:24.
Old 10th March 2011, 23:26   #45
BHPian

Friends, I can just think on one quote I had read somewhere after going through the complete thread.

"Things that dont break you, make you stronger"

This thread will lead us to new set of modifications we should do to our vehicles.

I was not aware of the OTR in advance checked the FB and TBHP posts on Sunday Morning and by then it was too late. Missed the Fun.

Most Viewed