Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2011, 13:46   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Article : Offroad GPS navigation, concepts and software

Thanks for the indepth information on GPS TSK. I have used GPS a lot in US and here in India i have a map my india device. But my usage has been mainly limited with the maps that are available on the device which is fairly limited in India. With this information I will spend some more time digging further into the other possible uses as you pointed out.
Old 29th March 2011, 22:07   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I want this article to be focused on Offroad GPS use.
Maybe users can chip in with reviews of moving map programs.

Is AFtrack free?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 29th March 2011, 23:25   #33
Team-BHP Support

It used to be free. But now I think it costs 30$ or something..
Symbian options have really dwindled in recent past.
Old 12th June 2011, 13:11   #34
BHPian

For symbian phones, there is this Location application which is provided by Nokia. This works well for offroad navigation.
All you have to do is provide lat and long or select a point saved in Nokia maps. Once connected to the satellite, this gives the direction of the destination and the distance to it.
Tried this yesterday and works fine on my 5800
Old 24th November 2011, 19:22   #35
BHPian

Hi tsk,
First and foremost, thanks for such a crisp but yet detailed enough article.

I have been using a MMI RP for about an year now. To be honest it suffices my needs for city driving. Has sent me on a wild goose chase only once , so I can say that the experience has not been so bad.

However, now I want to explore the world of GPS and maps further. So to start with, I have gone an purchased a China made GPS device from eBay. The device arrived yesterday. Now this has come preloaded with iGO8 maps. But the maps for India are non-existent (reminds me of that equally useless software called Blackberry maps on my phone ).

I am a newbie to this world and would like to load OpenStreetMaps to my device. Based on your write up and what Google had to offer, I have decided on the following:
1. Load GosMore software (Gosmore - OpenStreetMap Wiki)
2. Load the India.osm.* maps from (GEOFABRIK Downloadbereich) OR download the maps from bbox (http://dev.openstreetmap.de/gosmore/); these are much larger files, though.

Once I extract the files, I will copy them to the SDMMC card under the directories as recommended on the above site.

Questions:
  • Is this the right thing to do, to start using the OSM maps?
  • Is Gosmore a good starting point, or is there a better software to start with?
  • Will this provide me with turn-by-turn directions?
  • Do I need any more software to get started? OR would you recommend me more software (Free for the moment, as I want to learn before I spend money on proffessional stuff) to get the best out of my device
Old 25th November 2011, 11:37   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
Hi tsk,
First and foremost, thanks for such a crisp but yet detailed enough article.

I have been using a MMI RP for about an year now. To be honest it suffices my needs for city driving. Has sent me on a wild goose chase only once , so I can say that the experience has not been so bad.

However, now I want to explore the world of GPS and maps further. So to start with, I have gone an purchased a China made GPS device from eBay. The device arrived yesterday. Now this has come preloaded with iGO8 maps. But the maps for India are non-existent (reminds me of that equally useless software called Blackberry maps on my phone ).

I am a newbie to this world and would like to load OpenStreetMaps to my device. Based on your write up and what Google had to offer, I have decided on the following:
1. Load GosMore software (Gosmore - OpenStreetMap Wiki)
2. Load the India.osm.* maps from (GEOFABRIK Downloadbereich) OR download the maps from bbox (http://dev.openstreetmap.de/gosmore/); these are much larger files, though.

Once I extract the files, I will copy them to the SDMMC card under the directories as recommended on the above site.

Questions:
  • Is this the right thing to do, to start using the OSM maps?
  • Is Gosmore a good starting point, or is there a better software to start with?
  • Will this provide me with turn-by-turn directions?
  • Do I need any more software to get started? OR would you recommend me more software (Free for the moment, as I want to learn before I spend money on proffessional stuff) to get the best out of my device
Tushar,
In the GPS Maps and discussions thread, I have answered this question for somebody else, who got a chinese windows CE device.
You can sure you OSM, but OSM coverage is still very limited in India.
Anyways, the GPS Maps and discussions thread has a lot of inputs on how to get Satguide or MMI maps and how to install them.
Old 3rd May 2013, 16:04   #37
Senior - BHPian

There is a lot I can start adding here. History and useful tips.

My GPS based off road life began in 1998 when I acquired my first GPS unit GARMIN GPS II plus.

Those were old days, young days of GPS technology. Marsource was available. Very few computers had CD ROM drives, R/W drives were very uncommon.

Data interface was limited to 1.4 MB Floppy drives.

We got hold of Fugawi software and some trucial states oil exploration topographical maps with grid reference. Before this we plotted waypoints using a scale on these topogrophical maps.

With these maps and some air charts we picked up from a pilot's flyware store in California we scanned the UAE map in six different maps and imported the picture into Fugawi. Next we had to triangulate these maps at three known reference points. Say like where the grids crosssed 25 Deg E and 55 Deg N off Jebel Ali.

Once triangulated you could import / export your tracks into these, plot waypoints with a mouse and design routes. The Software would give you distances. If a laptop was carried connected to the GPS in the Car it could be a live moving map.

SOme of the files were above 1.4 MB so in 1998 when IT technology was limited we invested in a SyQuest drive.

To be continued.

Next post will be - way points, routes, 30 WP route and route inversion, track file management, plotting routes, quick technological developments.
desertfox is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2014, 12:21   #38
Senior - BHPian

Its time to irritate you with questions on this thread now!

What will be helpful in Ladakh?

I dont have a GPS device as of now, apart from my basic Android cellphone with Googlemaps.

Or Can you point me to an appropriate discussion.
Old 29th April 2014, 12:44   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Its time to irritate you with questions on this thread now!

What will be helpful in Ladakh?

I dont have a GPS device as of now, apart from my basic Android cellphone with Googlemaps.

Or Can you point me to an appropriate discussion.
Does your phone have GPS receiver built in. Which phone it is?
If so, download OSMAND and download India map. I think you are entitled to 9 free downloads.
If you do not want to kill your free download slot, just download india map img on your PC and transfer it to your osmand directory.

All the routes in ladakh where vehicles are possible are mapped on Openstreetmap.

That is all you will need. The mapping of ladakh has become much better than the time when I wrote this guide and started mapping changthang.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2014, 14:57   #40
Senior - BHPian

It is mainly driving on mapped roads. Your google map in your smartphone will show everything provided data signals work on most of the route even 2 G would do most of the job.
Old 25th July 2016, 15:13   #41
BHPian

Off late almost all the major players have started offering detailed offline maps for smartphones for free. I have MMI offline edition(₹620/-), Sygic powered by Tomtom(free), Here Maps(free) on my phone beside Google Map. Even Google also allow the offline downloading of maps of particular route which stays for 30days. However I could never bring myself to use iOS map even after using it for 5 years now. Off all the maps I find Here Maps to be the best without the quirkiness of Sygic and difficult interface of MMI.
Old 25th July 2016, 19:51   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinesh6481 View Post
Off late almost all the major players have started offering detailed offline maps for smartphones for free. I have MMI offline edition(₹620/-), Sygic powered by Tomtom(free), Here Maps(free) on my phone beside Google Map. Even Google also allow the offline downloading of maps of particular route which stays for 30days. However I could never bring myself to use iOS map even after using it for 5 years now. Off all the maps I find Here Maps to be the best without the quirkiness of Sygic and difficult interface of MMI.
But they are still useless for offroad navigation, for example navigating way points, contour maps etc.,
Old 25th July 2016, 23:41   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
But they are still useless for offroad navigation, for example navigating way points, contour maps etc.,
For all my offroad needs; i would depend upon GIS maps. After getting hooked on to the GIS maps for specific area, i have lessened my dependency on Geographical survey of India maps. but the only hitch with GIS is the heavy layer of customisation and ofcourse you can only do it on PC before the trip. No option for phones.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks