Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2019, 17:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

Team-BHP RC Rock Crawlers 4x4 Thread

Got the inspiration for this thread from numerous RC forums dedicated to rock crawlers and to see if there are other RC 4x4 enthusiasts on the forum so that we can all connect and share our passions+. If you do not know what an RC Rock Crawler is, its basically a remote controlled scale off road car with working 4 wheel drive gear, diff locks front and rear, low range gearbox, cruise control and even portal axles! The two most popular one's are Axial SCX 10 II or the Traxxas TRX4 with the licenced Land Rover Defender body with terrific level scale detail.

Like other hobbies, you start with the basic car and then add on upgrades as you deem fit, vitamin M permitting. People on the internet have got everything from metal everything to additional scale level details including working head lights, tail lights and indicators to even trailer hitch with trailers at the back! I got my Traxxas TRX4 Defender sometime back and have already carried out some mods. The car already comes with 2 range gearbox, all time 4 wheel drive, portal axles, selectable front and rear diff locks.

I have already put:
  1. Metal front and rear bumper with lights front and back.
  2. Brass rear axles covers to lower the center of mass.
  3. Bash plates for the front, center and rear differential.
  4. Hexa hubs 8mm all 4 tyres for wider track and therefore more stability.
  5. Brass front member instead of plastic again for lower center of gravity and toughness in hard terrains.
  6. Upgraded servo for the front wheel steering.
I plan to keep this thread updated with pictures and the Defender doing its thing in the rough stuff. Here are some to start with.

The front end - the scale detail is a boyhood wet dream if you are even a remote 4x4 enthusiast.
Team-BHP RC Rock Crawlers 4x4 Thread-traxxas-trx4-defender-front.jpg
Team-BHP RC Rock Crawlers 4x4 Thread-traxxas-trx4-defender-front-1.jpg

The front side profile.
Team-BHP RC Rock Crawlers 4x4 Thread-traxxas-trx4-side.jpg

Checking the articulation after suspension lift. Look at the thickness of the novels. All four wheel were still touching the ground easily.
Team-BHP RC Rock Crawlers 4x4 Thread-traxxas-trx4-articulation.jpg

Note from Mod : Here's a link to the general Radio Controlled thread as well, in case anyone has missed it.

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th April 2019 at 21:02. Reason: Linking to the general RC thread as well :)
extreme_torque is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2019, 17:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Team-BHP RC Rock Crawlers 4x4 Thread

Thank you for sharing extreme_torque. Once I tried collecting some TLV models but got the bitter realization and dependency it has on Vitamin M. And Oh Boy! These are RCs. If not deemed inappropriate, will be great if you can please share the pricing too of individual components that you have added (or plan to add). Just want to understand how much Vitamin M we are talking in these type of projects.
Majumdarda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2019, 18:02   #3
Team-BHP Support

That's a beautiful Defender! I was looking at getting one of those or a G-Wagon last year but they are expensive!.
Currently, I have a humble Traxxas 1/18 LaTrax Teton starter kit. (My only problem is that the stock batteries run off quickly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Just want to understand how much Vitamin M we are talking in these type of projects.
The pricing is on the website. This Defender starts-off at about $450 (USD), & then up-to you if you want to keep replacing/upgrading parts.

It is a tiny little Land Rover that lives up to its larger namesake in terms of maintenance & spares.

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd April 2019 at 18:19. Reason: Merged.
aah78 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2019, 18:07   #4
Team-BHP Support

About 10 years ago, I had built a BC offroader. BC is breath controlled.

The build report is here.
Samurai is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2019, 18:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Thank you for sharing extreme_torque. Once I tried collecting some TLV models but got the bitter realization and dependency it has on Vitamin M. And Oh Boy! These are RCs. If not deemed inappropriate, will be great if you can please share the pricing too of individual components that you have added (or plan to add). Just want to understand how much Vitamin M we are talking in these type of projects.
Since i knew i will be doing upgrades I bought a preworshipped one and put the saved money into upgrades. It cost me around the same price as new including all the upgrades and two 2-cell lipo batteries and a charger.

As of now its quite capable and looks pretty good so i am happy for now. I may replace the front portal axle covers with brass and replace the electric motor with a brushless motor but it will happen when it happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
That's a beautiful Defender! I was looking at getting one of those or a G-Wagon last year but they are expensive!.
Currently, I have a humble Traxxas 1/18 LaTrax Teton starter kit. (My only problem is that the stock batteries run off quickly).
Thank you. I wouldnt know about that particular traxxas since i did my research into crawlers only. What kind of battery are you using?
extreme_torque is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2019, 18:58   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
What kind of battery are you using?
Just the basic 1200mAh Ni-MH battery that came with it.
Not much scope for upgrade unless, I somehow put in larger battery tray, or zip-tie a larger battery somewhere in the body.
But then I might need to put in an uprated motor & that's a dark downward slope.
Old 23rd April 2019, 21:34   #7
BHPian

Quote:
The two most popular one's are Axial SCX 10 II or the Traxxas TRX4 with the licenced Land Rover Defender body with terrific level scale detail.
Nice car and the modifications are awesome. I like the same chassis with Ford Bronco body. The low ratio feature in these cars are awesome. Currently in my wish list.

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd April 2019 at 23:00. Reason: Please quote only relevant portions of posts. Thanks!
Vmax1200 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2019, 09:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHP RC Rock Crawlers 4x4 Thread

Quote:
Got the inspiration for this thread from numerous RC forums dedicated to rock crawlers and to see if there are other RC 4x4 enthusiasts on the forum so that we can all connect and share our passions+. If you do not know what an RC Rock Crawler is, its basically a remote controlled scale off road car with working 4 wheel drive gear, diff locks front and rear, low range gearbox, cruise control and even portal axles!
Would be great if you could post few videos of it in action.

I was looking for RC's, not particularly any model, when I was visiting the US. I was put off by the price and yet to look for some cheaper option, but obviously those will be nothing compared to the types you have mentioned.

These kind of hobbies reaffirms the fact, boys will always be boys.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2019, 10:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Would be great if you could post few videos of it in action.
Thats the plan and I have a few too but I am very lazy when it comes to editing videos.

Quote:
I was looking for RC's, not particularly any model, when I was visiting the US. I was put off by the price and yet to look for some cheaper option, but obviously those will be nothing compared to the types you have mentioned.
As it is with real cars, if you cannot afford it (I could neither given the mods I had planned during my research) always buy pre-worshipped and then slowly mod it up as and when time and money permit. If you want to buy brand new you could buy the Traxxas TRX4 as a kit and then assemble it yourself.

I always wanted the TRX4 because of portal axles, low range gearbox and lockable front and rear diff and most importantly that gorgeous Defender body. It was love at first sight - shut up and take my money kinds.

Quote:
These kind of hobbies reaffirms the fact, boys will always be boys.
Damn right! Best bit is that you can have as much fun as you like with it and still not damage it like you would a real car.
extreme_torque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2019, 11:19   #10
BHPian

Good to see a RC crawler thread on Tbhp. We in Mumbai have been crawling for a while now. The green buggy is my 1:12 WPL 12428 4WD. Very capable in stock trim but does even better with upgraded parts. Not really a crawler and a good basher but still does the job well.

Team-BHP RC Rock Crawlers 4x4 Thread-img5318.jpg

The green Military truck is my WPL B16 4x4. Excellent details as you can see and decently capable but does not fall under hobby grade. My truck is getting hop up parts soon which should make it a lot of fun.

Team-BHP RC Rock Crawlers 4x4 Thread-rsz_img5258.jpg

The grey Defender-like SUV is a friends 1:10 Axial SCX10 Dingo. Fantastic product bullet proof, built to last and brilliant performance. Its pretty close to the TRX4 when it comes to capability.

Team-BHP RC Rock Crawlers 4x4 Thread-rsz_img5146.jpg

Finally the orange truck is my 1:10 RGT Bowler. Fantastic super swamper tyres, weirdly good looks, i especially love the wheels and gives the much more expensive Axial a good run for its money.
Team-BHP RC Rock Crawlers 4x4 Thread-img6867.jpg

Here are some of our videos:

Last edited by aah78 : 24th April 2019 at 17:53. Reason: Images inserted in-line.
balenopower is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 24th April 2019, 19:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower View Post
Good to see a RC crawler thread on Tbhp. We in Mumbai have been crawling for a while now. The green buggy is my 1:12 WPL 12428 4WD. Very capable in stock trim but does even better with upgraded parts. Not really a crawler and a good basher but still does the job well.
Fantastic! Came home and found that the trailer hitch had arrived. Got to work and it looks pretty dang sweet. Here are a few customary pictures

The trailer hitch
Team-BHP RC Rock Crawlers 4x4 Thread-traxxas-trailer-hitch.jpg
Team-BHP RC Rock Crawlers 4x4 Thread-traxxas-trailer-hitch-1.jpg

The underside of the truck. The bash plates are necessary as the undersides touches and bangs often
Team-BHP RC Rock Crawlers 4x4 Thread-traxxas-underside.jpg

Defender stance never gets old
Team-BHP RC Rock Crawlers 4x4 Thread-traxxas-front-stance.jpg
extreme_torque is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 28th April 2019, 15:39   #12
BHPian

Fascinating thread!

What is a decent budget one can keep if one is to enter this hobby? How is the maintenance on these machines?
ashwin1224 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2019, 16:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin1224 View Post
Fascinating thread!

What is a decent budget one can keep if one is to enter this hobby? How is the maintenance on these machines?
It depends what you are looking for. As for me I didn't do much research except for Axial SCX 10.2(AX10) and the Traxxas TRX4 (TT4). The Axial is the grand old daddy and the TRX4 is the new kid on the block, the upstart. The AX10 is slightly cheaper than the TT4 but does not have the scale details of the TT4's defender body, dual range gearbox (high and low), lockable front and rear diff locks and portal axles. Given all that the Traxxas is the better buy in my eyes as a hobby starter because much of the mods that you would like to do on the AX10 come out of the box on the TT4. As for me, I was already sold on the TT4 as soon as I came to know such a thing existed. It was like a boyhood wet dream coming alive.

The TT4 today is $450 USD on Amazon and comes ready to race or crawl in this case except for a battery and charger which would be a further $100-$150. All up you are looking at around $600 for a base truck on which you can add as much as you like. My advice, keep an eye on Craigslist in USA if you have friends there and buy pre-worshipped and then mod it with the money saved. Thats exactly what I did. Also, it is amazing to start with the base truck with its limitations and see it become more capable as you mod it up just like a real car. Let me know if you need any help.

Here are some pics from the backyard offroad today
It articulates like a real thing.
Team-BHP RC Rock Crawlers 4x4 Thread-defender-front-copy.jpg
Rear three quarter. Love the stance after widening the track front and back.
Team-BHP RC Rock Crawlers 4x4 Thread-defender-rear-three-quarter-copy.jpg

Here's the official Traxxas video for a taste of what this thing looks like doing its thing. I went for a hike this weekend but gave the video duty to my wife while crossing a stream and some big stones. Apparently she isn't as good with the video as I thought and therefore not posting it here. I did shoot a few slow motion video's in my backyard which I will post later.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 28th April 2019 at 16:33.
extreme_torque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2019, 17:04   #14
Senior - BHPian

Here is the slow motion video of the jump. Please excuse the quality and shoddy edit. This was a quick shoot and edit on my iPhone in 240fps
extreme_torque is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th April 2019, 09:23   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin1224 View Post
Fascinating thread!

Start with a budget crawler. Check Ali express ,you have plenty of bargain options and then move up the ladder.
balenopower is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed