Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2009, 12:26   #286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
May I suggest BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A? I've just found out why they're so highly rated - they are simply phenomenal off the road, especially on trails with rocks and rubble.
I second that suggestion. The BF's are quite good balance between road and off-road, But purely off-road their are more aggressive options like the ones Khan has. But if you do fair bit of road then you can't go wrong with them. I have played plenty with them on filthy slush, sticky clay and sand and they have held up very well. Half the pressure - off the road and they do great. The side walls are built to take that kinda beating on that. In my experience geolanders are bit better off than the BF on the road but BF is more aggressive on the dirt. That's my opinion, but then hey .. who am I?

Good Luck
Old 2nd February 2009, 12:28   #287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
+ 1 to that! I agree
What I am more surprised at is the preference for Geolanders which are considered to be compromise tyres at best. How is it that Geos are the preferred choice in India and BFGs are considered to be BAD? There cant be such a major difference in quality!
Old 2nd February 2009, 12:41   #288
Team-BHP Support

Guys, cool down. The BFG Mud-Terrain T/A KM is considered fantastic on mud, let's not project that on BFG All-terrain T/A KO. It is not the same. I had researched this tyre extensively just after buying GV. I was practically salivating on this tyre.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-o...tml#post642871
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-o...tml#post643647

But I learnt from various first hand reviews that it is bad on mud. Later I also met people who had experienced the same. For example, Shakir had very bad experience with BFG All-terrain in Sakleshpur OTR, which was a mud-fest. When people tell me first hand about their ownership experience, I'll have to consider them.

Motocoorg, I know too have the same tyre on your Suzuki Samurai, but I'll have to consider experiences of local offroaders in local terrain.

Last edited by Samurai : 2nd February 2009 at 12:52.
Old 2nd February 2009, 13:01   #289
Senior - BHPian

Just when I finalise a particular I get confused again

I had just finalised the BF Goodrich AT TA but again I am confused.
So please help me decide between these 3 tyres
  1. BF Goodrich AT TA
  2. Michelins AT-2
  3. Yokohama Geolanders AT -S
All the above are in my price range and I will be buying 235/70/16's.

My vehicle will be primary for off-roading but I will use it on-road too.
Old 2nd February 2009, 13:06   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Guys, cool down. The BFG Mud-Terrain T/A KM is considered fantastic on mud, let's not project that on BFG All-terrain T/A KO. It is not the same. I had researched this tyre extensively just after buying GV. I was practically salivating on this tyre.
Not VERY different, really. They're almost the same except for a more aggressive tyre pattern (and therefore more noise) on the KM. Both are All Terrain tyres with an off-road bias, not Mud Terrain.

However where we do disagree is the comparison with the Geolander AT-S. I can understand it if you said the Geo MT is better, but not the AT which are soccer-mom tyres at best because of their road bias.

The BFGs (the ones we are comparing, i.e.) are noisier on the road than the Geos, but that is to be expected when the off-road performance is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
I had just finalised the BF Goodrich AT TA but again I am confused.
So please help me decide between these 3 tyres
  1. BF Goodrich AT TA
  2. Michelins AT-2
  3. Yokohama Geolanders AT -S
All the above are in my price range and I will be buying 235/70/16's.

My vehicle will be primary for off-roading but I will use it on-road too.
I would recommend the following order:

1. Michelin LTX AT-2
2. BFG AT T/A
3. Geo AT-S

* Please note this is my personal opinion.

Last edited by Steeroid : 2nd February 2009 at 13:13.
Old 2nd February 2009, 13:28   #291
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
Samurai,

You have covered each and every part perfectly. Photos and videos too speak great lot. Rightly said GTO. 5 star for this report.

Good show.

BTW am changing the tyres to Yokohoma Geolander 235 75 R 15 soon.

Dwarak
Hey Dwarak, I am sure you have thought about the mud terrain tyres which Shahnawaz has got. Any reason why you dont want those? Is it because you use your gypsy extensively on-road?
Old 2nd February 2009, 13:34   #292
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is how the tyre choice scene is played out -- atleast in Bangalore.

I think some 2-3 jeepers had BFG A/T on them and everyone else was just drooling over them -- the aggressive looks etc etc. However, almost all these folks gave -ve feedback about these tyres in mud and then 1 -2 folks got Geo's A/T on their jeeps and they found good traction through them in mud also so others also got them. Till date no complaints from Geo's owners. Hence the tilt towards Geo's currently over BFG.

Now the above may be irrational, not apple to apple comparisons etc etc. But this is how the tyre choice happens -- based on recommendations by fellow jeepers & first hand observation.

Also, when a fellow jeeper says that a tyre that he has is NOT good and is recommending against the tyre then fellow jeepers have very little reason NOT to believe him -- especially when similar feedback is provided by more than 1 jeeper.
Old 2nd February 2009, 13:47   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Now the above may be irrational, not apple to apple comparisons etc etc. But this is how the tyre choice happens -- based on recommendations by fellow jeepers & first hand observation.
It is pretty much the same process everywhere, which is why I was taken aback by the Geo AT/S recommendation - its a tyre that doesnt come up when you discuss AT tyres for off-road use. The BFGs on the other hand are minor legends and the Michelin LTX is of course the superstar for mixed use.

Last edited by Steeroid : 2nd February 2009 at 13:48.
Old 2nd February 2009, 13:58   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Here is how the tyre choice scene is played out -- atleast in Bangalore.
Also, when a fellow jeeper says that a tyre that he has is NOT good and is recommending against the tyre then fellow jeepers have very little reason NOT to believe him -- especially when similar feedback is provided by more than 1 jeeper.
Fair enough, whatever works locally is what matters. If fellow jeepers have tried and tested it, they can't be wrong. Either ways have fun

Last edited by khan_sultan : 2nd February 2009 at 15:04. Reason: Removed excessive message quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 14:53   #295
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
Samurai,

BTW am changing the tyres to Yokohoma Geolander 235 75 R 15 soon.

Dwarak
Go for it. Geolander are excellent tyres for Gypsy. i have done 10,000 KM(both offroading and highway) in geolander tyres I can vouch on it.
Old 2nd February 2009, 15:03   #296
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I...the Michelin LTX is of course the superstar for mixed use.
Thats true. Almost everyone recommends them as the first choice among A/T tyres and the only -ve aspect I have heard about them is the HIGH cost that they have compared to other A/T tyres.

The Geo's seem to be the 'flavor of the season' these days . An example below:

Quote:
.. Go for it. Geolander are excellent tyres for Gypsy. i have done 10,000 KM(both offroading and highway) in geolander tyres I can vouch on it...
Old 2nd February 2009, 15:09   #297
Team-BHP Support

Both Geolandar AT-S and BFG Mud-terrain have self-cleaning treads, unlike BFG All-terrain. May be that is the reason for better performance in Mud.
Old 2nd February 2009, 17:07   #298
BHPian

In this edition of Overdrive, i have seen an ad for ContinentalTyres. 275/70R16 A/T tyre. The Ad has a delhi number 011 26207171 for cantact.
Haven't called them up yet. Probably, guys in delhi can to find more details.

Regards,
Krishna.
Old 2nd February 2009, 19:03   #299
Senior - BHPian

I don't think that size is available officially.
Old 2nd February 2009, 19:39   #300
BHPian

I find that all A/T tyres after a point of time fail in mud. Their tiny grooves get filled with mud and they become practically slicks. For mud you need M/T tyres like Mr. Khan has.
Out of the A/T tyres I have seen perform I found Geolanders to be best in mud. But that is speaking in comparision only. Even they turn into slicks in no time.
Haven't seen Goodrich in action but what I have read on internationals off-roading forums - please note forums not market/user surveys - is that goodrichs are known for their exceptional life on highway usage plus decent off-road skills. No where they mention anything about it's off-roading capabilities. It is a good tyre to have if you are looking at random off-roading plus good mileage on highway use.

@ Harjeev - Those tractor tires are not avaialble off the shelf here in delhi but I had a word with some people at Apollo and they say it can be delivered to the apollo dealer nearest to you in one week. They will cost you around 3000~3200 a piece and are available in 7.50-16.
As for geolander's, Pushkin's jeep and Shyam's 550 have these. Have a word with them. They both are pretty satisfied with it's performence.

cheers
vishwas

Most Viewed