Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2022, 11:46   #1
BHPian

Chennai folks - is it possible to go up the hill to Sholingur temple in a Thar?

Neither I nor my wife can climb up the 1000+ stairs; and we need to go to the temple for some family stuff.

I have a 2021 automatic Thar and was wondering if it were possible to drive up some trail all the way up to the temple without having to walk up the stairs.

Any ideas? Has anyone tried this?

Thanks and cheers

Last edited by tilt : 3rd March 2022 at 11:57.
Old 3rd March 2022, 12:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chennai folks - is it possible to go up the hill to Sholingur temple in a Thar?

AFAIK, there is no road available to go up to Sholingur hill (both Narasimhaswamy and also to Hanuman).

One and only option is to climb up the stairs and deal with monkeys, using a stick

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 13:00   #3
BHPian

Re: Chennai folks - is it possible to go up the hill to Sholingur temple in a Thar?

We do often travels to this place (also called Ghatikachala) with family. You can go in a vehicle till the foothills and later only steps. But if somebody can not climb the steps, they do have Dolies to carry which is a chair carried by four people. You may use their service. We always hire one such facility for our 75 yr old mom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Neither I nor my wife can climb up the 1000+ stairs; and we need to go to the temple for some family stuff.

I have a 2021 automatic Thar and was wondering if it were possible to drive up some trail all the way up to the temple without having to walk up the stairs.

Any ideas? Has anyone tried this?

Thanks and cheers
girishv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 13:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

They trialled a cable car system about 3 months ago. I dont know if it is fully functional yet.

when are you planning to go there?

You cannot drive up either hill, in any case

Last edited by sridhu : 3rd March 2022 at 13:14.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 13:55   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
*SNIP*

when are you planning to go there?

You cannot drive up either hill, in any case
Thank you. My travel will be ostly 14/15 March.

Cheers
Old 3rd March 2022, 13:59   #6
BHPian

Spoke with a contact at Sholingur Sri Admaru matha and you have the option of using the dolly (palanquin) which costs 2000/Person. PM me if you need the contact number of the Mutt.
mazda4life is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 10:17   #7
BHPian

Thank you, all of you for the prompt and helpful responses

After eading all of this; and after watching a video online about the temple along with the steps and the dolies I have decided I am not that keen to go to the temple. I have discussed this with concerned family members.

Thanks again, and cheers
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 08:32   #8
BHPian

Visited Sholingur yesterday from Pondy. Ropecar is not operational yet. There is no way car can reach to top of the hill. ( It is a small hill with no space in the top except for this small temple). Need to climb 1300 steps. But Palanquin( box carried by 2 people) is available for the needy people. ( As soon as they see the new car, these carriers will approach). It is ok it seems. They will carry to the top of the temple and bring back also. ( Watched even healthy people are using this option)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks