Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2008, 19:41   #16
BHPian

Consider Qualis or SUMO ehich has got RWD & yes they can be driven safely above 100+ KMPH. But IMO, what ruffyrider meant to say is for a vehicle with T'case, even in 2H mode, the front drive shaft rotates. (Only free wheeling hubs are disengaged). So driving faster than 100 KMPH may put stress on T'case.

I think this may be the case with simple 2 speed T'cases. Well, this is what I can guess.
Old 23rd September 2008, 19:47   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
In case of GV it is 53:47 split for rear/front.
My bad. Sorry for that. just trying to exlpain it in simple words. Actually now-a-days many offroaders have 4H drive ratio such that more power is given to rear wheels.
Old 23rd September 2008, 20:05   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Why should 4x4 system maintain ratios in 2H? It is not even engaged. I thought you mentioned 2H by mistake, but you are not correcting it.

hmm..pardon my ignorance Samurai and hrag, that is what i was advised by someone i know..he may be wrong on that, which means i may be wrong on that also..i accept my error..i am sorry, pls pardon me, i will not repeat the mistake again..

Samurai, i would def not second your thought on this one as i look up to you as one of the "Jeep Gurus" in T-Bhp..
Old 23rd September 2008, 21:46   #19
Team-BHP Support

I am no Jeep guru, I have owned Jeep only for 4 months.

But I do have some little understanding of 4x4 vehicles since I own couple of them. What you said kinda went against what I knew, that's all.
Old 23rd September 2008, 22:16   #20
BANNED

Hey sir, looks like you will ask the mods for a "falling at somebody's feet" emoticon. Your friend misinformed you - 4x4 is not an easy world to understand and therefore, one must be extremely careful in what one posts.
Old 23rd September 2008, 22:33   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Hey sir, looks like you will ask the mods for a "falling at somebody's feet" emoticon. Your friend misinformed you - 4x4 is not an easy world to understand and therefore, one must be extremely careful in what one posts.
even better would be the "shut up..enough is enough" emoticon to reply to your next reply..
Old 1st December 2008, 22:17   #22
BHPian

4x4 vs AWD

Hi, I have almost zero knowledge about 4x4 and jeeps in general. But the other day, I had a chance to drive a Subaru AWD sedan.
So I was just wondering if 4x4 in jeeps is same/similar to AWD in sedans like Subaru and Audi?

If it is, then theoretically, can a beefed up (large rims, large tires, increased GC etc) AWD sedan perform similar to a Jeep in OTR?
Old 2nd December 2008, 03:40   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitaparadh View Post

1.) So I was just wondering if 4x4 in jeeps is same/similar to AWD in sedans like Subaru and Audi?

2.) If it is, then theoretically, can a beefed up (large rims, large tires, increased GC etc) AWD sedan perform similar to a Jeep in OTR?
1.) You can look around Google and this site to find the differences and similarities. There is plenty of info on it. I won't rehash it here.

2.) "Theoretically" yes, practically no. It's a cost thing. It is an expensive proposition to diddle with the suspension of a Suburu or an Audi to get the GC and tyres you need under you.

I wish Suburu was in India. They make good quality simple vehicles that are stone-reliable. You would think it would be a natural match, India-Suburu.

If you want to read a funny/informative/heated discussion on some of this read http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...odern-4wd.html
Old 2nd December 2008, 12:36   #24
Senior - BHPian

Isn't the GM Forester a Subaru variant with AWD?
Old 2nd December 2008, 14:06   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
4L = four wheel drive low ratio selected through transfer case.
4H = four wheel drive high ratio selected though transfer case.
Sorry but could't stop but mention the tractors drivetrain.

Like a Tractor has Kachua (Turtle) and Kahargosh (Hare) gears. Mostly in 2WD tractors.

Turtle being Low ratio and the Hare being High ratio. Similarly in 4WD jeeps 4H high ratio and 4L low ratio.

Regards,

Randeep
Old 2nd January 2010, 15:52   #26
BHPian

A very informative document & dicussion thread. I've been planning to take up a 4WD vehicle just to explore the difference. This has really helped.thanks to all mind masters
Old 19th January 2010, 00:13   #27
Senior - BHPian

That was a really informative document.

Thanks for sharing it buddy.
Old 19th January 2010, 00:50   #28
BHPian

Here is some more useful info regarding usage of 4WD.
sourced from one of the post by Jeep Expert Arka & Toyota Fortuner's Low range selection info from the same thread.
All credits to respective owners
Attached Thumbnails
Basic 4X4 Terms-toyota-fortuner-screen-2.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 20th January 2010, 13:25   #29
BHPian

Nice write up, I have never driven a 4WD jeep/gypsy, never got a chance actually, these things are not available in showrooms or for TD :( for a very brief moment I had driven the Gurkha but couldnt explore a lot of its capabilities.
Old 27th April 2011, 06:08   #30
BHPian

Basic 4X4 Terms

Jeep Gurus,
Being new to the 4x4 off-roading sport I have come across many terms which are a bit difficult to visualize without proper explanation and /or some guidance in form of pictures/ videos.
I would like to know what is:
1. Pitch
2. Roll-over angle (does it have same values as the approach and departure angles)
3. Flex vs Articulation (Are they the same terms? i.e can they be used interchangeably?)
4. CV joint
5. ECM
6. types of differentials
7. effect of lifts on steering and suspension
This is what I could think of now.
Please help me understand these terms. Also if anybody has something more to offer please add here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks