Team-BHP - Engine, Gearbox, Diff ratios, axles options for the JEEP
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Technical (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/)
-   -   Engine, Gearbox, Diff ratios, axles options for the JEEP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/101444-engine-gearbox-diff-ratios-axles-options-jeep-4.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by docfreak (Post 2614273)
What are the petrol options for a 3b, with emphasis on better fe and reliability.
I am planning on an upgrade from my hurricane

The one and only upgrade from a hurricane is a HURRICANE.

Forget about mileage and isuzu 4zb1 petrol .

Quote:

What are the petrol options for a 3b, with emphasis on better fe and reliability.

Hi,
That would be very sad. (My view only)

Regards
Sutripta

Quote:

Hi Doc,

You may consider a FFE + Weber 32/36Dgev.

But what ever you do the F4-134 is most comfortable between 50-60Kmph.

Regards,

Arka

Hurricane is hurricane. OK. But I wish to make my jeep a daily drive. So what alternates have i got? HUrricane drinks petrol, tolerable speeds are upto 60. Going the xd3p seems the a way out, but then papers show petrol. So the options that i have is a isuzu.
Any other suggestions?
MPFI Izusu can that be installed? The wiring / ecm ....is it possible/been done?

Quote:

Originally Posted by docfreak (Post 2616970)
Hurricane is hurricane. OK. But I wish to make my jeep a daily drive. So what alternates have i got? HUrricane drinks petrol, tolerable speeds are upto 60. Going the xd3p seems the a way out, but then papers show petrol. So the options that i have is a isuzu.
Any other suggestions?
MPFI Izusu can that be installed? The wiring / ecm ....is it possible/been done?

Hi Doc,

If you have to go diesel you may consider picking up a MM550XD.

Because by changing the Engine & Gearbox, Differential Ratio you will end up re-engineering the whole vehicle.

Also MM550XD offers a better seating and weather protection.

Even if the cost of diesel and petrol is the same the diesel engines will give a much better FE.

Regards,

Arka

Arka,
I fully agree with you. Also I didn't want to waste the effort I have put in, to get the 3b upto the present perfect state. But I am unable to find a suitable new jeeper for the 3b and as I am unable to use it much, it may just rot. So to keep it up and about this is the last resort I have. I am a normal govt employee so to keep a vehicle just as a collection is not something I can have the luxury of.
Sharat

Quote:

Originally Posted by docfreak (Post 2618013)
Arka,
I fully agree with you. Also I didn't want to waste the effort I have put in, to get the 3b upto the present perfect state. But I am unable to find a suitable new jeeper for the 3b and as I am unable to use it much, it may just rot. So to keep it up and about this is the last resort I have. I am a normal govt employee so to keep a vehicle just as a collection is not something I can have the luxury of.
Sharat

Hi Doc,

1) Convert the Hurricane to XD3P+KMT90 from an Army MM550XD.
Change the Brake to the MM540 type Drum & Tandem MC or Vacuum Booster assist
Roll-Cage & Seat Belts
Winch & Hi-Lift Jack
Store the Hurricane+T90+ Engine Mounts for later.(Please don't scrap them)
What about the Diesel endorsement etc?

3) Pickup an MM550XD rebuild
and wait a till you get a good price for your CJ3B

Regards,

Arka

docfreak , we had done on isuzu 4zb1 (1.8 petrol amby) engine to a CJ3a. It had the isuzu 5 speed tranny with 4.88 diff ratio.

The mileage is around 10 or max 11km/L. I drove it properly , have the pics too somewhere , with 4.88 there is too much back lash in 1st and 2nd gear , i.e once you rev in 1st cog and leave the throttle , there is a jerk as if you are in 1st low . So had to change the crown to 4.27 .

It cant beat the hurricane . If you want smoothness like the hurricane with more power and economy , i would suggest you consider the isuzu 4FG1 with the 4/5 speed 4wd isuzu tranny .

Its smooth , only second to the petrol hurricane , and while on the highway at 80 or 100km/hr the NVH is better than the hurricane , reason being it has a sync 5 speed GB which is dead silent against he 3 speed .

XD3P+KMT90 is also a bullet proof combo as suggested by Arka. But it will sound a bit loud and crude for the small beauty .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankenstein (Post 2618279)
docfreak , we had done on isuzu 4zb1 (1.8 petrol amby) engine to a CJ3a. It had the isuzu 5 speed tranny with 4.88 diff ratio.

The mileage is around 10 or max 11km/L. I drove it properly , have the pics too somewhere , with 4.88 there is too much back lash in 1st and 2nd gear , i.e once you rev in 1st cog and leave the throttle , there is a jerk as if you are in 1st low . So had to change the crown to 4.27 .

It cant beat the hurricane . If you want smoothness like the hurricane with more power and economy , i would suggest you consider the isuzu 4FG1 with the 4/5 speed 4wd isuzu tranny .

Indeed the 1st and 2nd gears are really really low. But comes handy in offroad. With the 5 speed gearbox it is more than comfortable to cruise at 90-100 all day long. And with the bigger Nikki carb, the power is pretty decent. Quite a few people here changed their opinion about 'lack of torque' and stuffs in the so called 'conti engine' after driving the 440 :)

Wow, this is an amazing thread, especially for people like me who know nothing.
I am currently rebuilding my MM540 2WD, it has a Peugeot engine 2112cc, does this mean it has the XDP 4.9 engine?
It is currently in the workshop and when we opened the gearbox for overhaul it was a house of horrors, my friend tells me it is best that we change the gearbox, as reparing would cost a bomb.
It currently has a 4speed gearbox, would like to have a 5speed installed as it is going to be my daily drive and at least 60-70% would be on highways and rural roads, we are looking at the BA-10.
Will this be a direct fit?
If not, what modifications or alterations would be required?
What would be the ideal differential ratio in case the above can be done?
Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Trojan

if you are looking for the 2wd BA-10 there is one available in Bangalore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by prabhuav (Post 2843136)
if you are looking for the 2wd BA-10 there is one available in Bangalore.

Thanks a lot Prabhu, but I already got a KMT gearbox for my jeep, geez it would have been good to get hold of a 5-speed. But I do know someone who needs a gearbox as well, any idea of the price and other details?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trojan

Thanks a lot Prabhu, but I already got a KMT gearbox for my jeep, geez it would have been good to get hold of a 5-speed. But I do know someone who needs a gearbox as well, any idea of the price and other details?

He is looking for around 20..

First pic , towards the left is a isuzu 4bd1 engine and towards the right is the dcm toyota 14b .

2nd pic is of a willys hurricane
3rd pic is of a nissan bd30 into the toyota fj 40
4th pic is of a cj2a body bought from phillipinnes. We have one dozen phillipino Jeeps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankenstein (Post 2357466)
MAHINDRA RANGE OF ENGINES
MDI 3000 55bhp/16kgm
MDI3200TC 63bhp/18kgm

I did some googling around and found these FOUR NON-Turbo (NA) versions too.

---------

MDI 3000 WT
2523 cc - 55 @ 3000 RPM (DIN70020)
(Whats that DIN?)

MDI3200A Direct Injection Diesel
2523 cc - 58 HP @ 3200 RPM (IS)
(Whats IS)

MDI 3200 L DI Diesel engine 56 hp
??
(Whats L !!)

MDI 3000 engine 50 hp
??

How do I identify the engine - I am looking for the MDI3200A.

I assumed the Marshal came with it, but looks like every vehicle had a different version - Marshal, Pikup, Cabking, Marshal DX - I am at wits end!!

And technically whats different in each of these engines? Just the FIP? Assuming the 2523CC is the same. One chai-time-in-scrap mkt old timer uncle said avoid the DIs with TATA 407 sized FIP - they are noisy and make a racket, the "later" ones came with a slimmer FIP, did he mean the difference between rotary and mechanical FIP? What are those terms too?

Arka, DB, Spikey, Jyobeb, Frankie, Jeep engine gurus - help!