Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2013, 08:29   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Engine, Gearbox, Diff ratios, axles options for the JEEP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
First pic , towards the left is a isuzu 4bd1 engine and towards the right is the dcm toyota 14b .

2nd pic is of a willys hurricane
3rd pic is of a nissan bd30 into the toyota fj 40
4th pic is of a cj2a body bought from phillipinnes. We have one dozen phillipino Jeeps.
@ Sandeep: Just curious, what do you do with the Phillipino jeeps? What is the cost of sourcing the same? Why from Philliphines? What is different?

Cheers
Old 23rd May 2013, 13:03   #62
BHPian

Is it possible to mount a baleno engine on a Willys CJ. if so what might be the gearbox and axle combinations that might work perfectly?
Old 15th June 2013, 17:28   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
I will post all the engines , gearboxes, axles and Diff ratios used in JEEPS in India .

ENGINES: BHP/TORQUE

Peugeot Range of engines.

XDP4.9 62bhp/12.3kgm

XD3P 73bhp/15.5kgm

XD2S 80bhp/?

TUD5 58bhp/10kgm

MAHINDRA RANGE OF ENGINES

International B275 38bhp/12kgm

International B475 43bhp/?

International B575 59bhp/15.5kgm

MDI 3000 55bhp/16kgm

MDI3200TC 63bhp/18kgm

M eagle 104bhp/24kgm

2.6 SZ PLUS 109bhp/26kgm

2.6 CRDE 115bhp/28kgm

2.2 Mhawk 140bhp/29kgm

ISUZU RANGE OF ENGINES

4ZBI(petrol) 75bhp/13.3kgm

4FB1 58bhp/10.5kgm

4FC1 65bhp/
4FD1 75bhp/

4FG1 78bhp/15.5kgm

4FG1 TC 86bhp/16.5kgm

4JG2 100bhp/26kgm

4JG2 TC 120bhp/28kgm

TOYOTA RANGE ENGINES

Qualis engine 75bhp/15kgm

1N 54bhp/9kgm

2C 70bhp/13kgm

2C TC ?/?

3C ?/?

3C TC ?/?

G13B ?/?

G14B 100bhp/28kgm

Kirloskar ?/?

PERKINS ENGINE RANGE

P3 ?/?

P4 ?/?

P6 ?/?

SIMPSONS ENGINE RANGE

S3 ?/?

S4.

NISSAN RANGE

BD 25

BD30 100bhp/22kgm

RD 28 ,6 pot 100bhp/18kgm

SUZUKI RANGE OF ENGINES

Gypsy 1L engine 45bhp/?

Gypsy 1.3L engine 80bhp/10.3kgm
Baleno 1.6L engine 93bhp/13.2kgm

TATA RANGE ENGINES

2.0 TCIC 68bhp/12kgm

3.0 (407) 60bhp/16kgm

MATADOR(force) RANGE

305 ?/?
307(om616) 68bhp/13kgm

WILLYS ENGINES

F-HEAD 134 HURRICANE 75bhp/15.5kgm

L-HEAD 134 GO-DEVIL 60bhp/14.2kgm

4WD GEARBOXES USED:

Peugeot BA10-5 SPEED

Mahindra NGT520-5SPEED

Mahindra NGT530R-5 SPEED

KMT-90 -4 SPEED

T-84 -3 SPEED

T-90 -3 SPEED

Low ratio T-90 (FC TRUCK)
Isuzu MUA5 5 SPEED

Isuzu 4 speed

Mitsubushi/Kia 4 speed

Gypsy GB 5 speed

I have driven , seen heard most of the above mentioned engine/GB transplants done in JEEPs in India.

DIFFERENTIAL RATIOS / CROWN PINION.

These are the different differential ratios used for Jeeps in India.

3.73:1 FOR EASY CRUISING

4.27:1 CRUISING

4.88:1 BALANCE BETWEEN CRUISING AND LOW END TORQUE

5.38:1 MORE OF LOW END TORQUE

5.89:1. MAXIMUM CRAWL RATIO FOR ROCK CRAWLING.

Please add if i have missed anything.

Note: low end torque and cruising speed may differ from engine to engine and Transmission to transmission and both together.

Here goes the axles options for Jeeps.

CKKP (Closed Knuckle King Pin)
48.5" Front Track 10 Spline & 19 Spline (CJ3A/CJ3B/CJ340/CL340/Cdr650)
51" Front Track 19 Spline (MM540/MM550XD/Cdr750)
58" Front Track 19 Spline (FC Van)

Rear Axle
48.5" Front Track 10 Spline & 19 Spline (CJ3A/CJ3B/CJ340/CL340/Cdr650)
51" Front Track 19 Spline & 30 Spline MM550XD (MM540/MM550XD/Cdr750)
58" Front Track 19 Spline (FC Van)

OKBJ (Open Knuckle Ball-Joint)
51" Track M&M Major/Cdr 750 (NGCS) 19 Spline
57" Track Bolero/Pikup MM550XD (NGCS) 19 Spline

Rear 1 Piece FFRA (53" Track)
1) MM550XD/Bolero/Pickup Series (19 Spline)

Rear 1 piece SFRA (53" Track)
Scorpio/Bolero Invader/Pickup Series.

All the Above a DANA44 (19 Spline or 30 Spline with 2 Carrier Breaks)

I am not able to recollect some other options, Please add if i have missed out something.
Hi guys, I was looking for a similar thread for quite some time and finally found it. I own a 57 willys CJ2A and Im currently looking for the best possible and a hassle free option for an engine gearbox swap. I am currently running a peugeot engine on it with the original 3 speed gearbox with 4x4. Im planning to install 31 inch MTs on it so i dont think the peugeot engine's performance will be enough to move the bigger tires, atleast not in offroad conditions. A mechanic once told me contessa petrol engine is a good option for it but i forgot which 4x4 gearbox he mentioned would be mated best to it. I am looking for a petrol engine setup with a good 4x4 gearbox. I do alot of highway driving as well as offroad so a balanced setup would be good. My preference is a petrol engine with good low end torque.Can the experts help me with some best possible combinations?
MonsterPatrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2013, 14:18   #64
BHPian

Hi monster patrol, if you want to retain the existing setup , just change the 3 speed gb to kmt 90 and that will give enough power to use 31" tires on a swb jeep.

2nd option is to use the existing3 speed gb with the diesel engine and change the top and counter gear to fc truck gears, this will aslo give the the required power.

IF petrol only the use the isuzu 4zb1 petrol engine common in the ambys and conti with a isuzu 4 speed gearbox and 4.27 diff ratio.
Old 24th April 2014, 02:08   #65
BHPian

Re: All T-BHP 4x4 JEEP Pics!!

Hi Guys,bought 1974 cj4A and got work started.Need some advise from you Jeep lovers regarding the best D/Engine for this jeep.Right now it has a petrol engine in it but need to change it.PLEASE Advise
Attached Thumbnails
Engine, Gearbox, Diff ratios, axles options for the JEEP-6.jpg  

Engine, Gearbox, Diff ratios, axles options for the JEEP-1.jpg  

Engine, Gearbox, Diff ratios, axles options for the JEEP-2.jpg  

Engine, Gearbox, Diff ratios, axles options for the JEEP-8.jpg  

Engine, Gearbox, Diff ratios, axles options for the JEEP-photo-3-2.jpg  

Engine, Gearbox, Diff ratios, axles options for the JEEP-photo-2.jpg  

Engine, Gearbox, Diff ratios, axles options for the JEEP-photo-1-6.jpg  

Engine, Gearbox, Diff ratios, axles options for the JEEP-photo-2-7.jpg  

Engine, Gearbox, Diff ratios, axles options for the JEEP-new-paint.jpg  

Old 24th April 2014, 10:31   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.SINGH View Post
Hi Guys,bought 1974 cj4A and got work started.Need some advise from you Jeep lovers regarding the best D/Engine for this jeep.Right now it has a petrol engine in it but need to change it.PLEASE Advise
Dear Mr. P. Singh,
If you want to retain current gearbox and transfer case then i would suggest you to go for Mahindra Di (without turbo) engine. it mates well with said gearbox and work beautifully. However, if your monthly running is less you can consider using petrol engine, now days there is hardly difference of 20 rs between petrol and diesel and cost/effort/time you incur for conversion would not offset until your running is high.

Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2014, 10:33   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.SINGH View Post
In my opinion, you should avoid an International Harvester based engine (MD/MDI) which is heavy and will spoil the driving dynamics of a CJ-4A.
The much lighter Peugeot (XDP 4.90) mated to a KMT 90 gearbox is a better choice!
Of course, the fuel efficiency of an XDP is relatively lower, but take it from me, in the long run, this combination is reliable, trouble-free and cheap to maintain!
Old 25th April 2014, 12:13   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
In my opinion, you should avoid an International Harvester based engine (MD/MDI) which is heavy and will spoil the driving dynamics of a CJ-4A.
The much lighter Peugeot (XDP 4.90) mated to a KMT 90 gearbox is a better choice!
Of course, the fuel efficiency of an XDP is relatively lower, but take it from me, in the long run, this combination is reliable, trouble-free and cheap to maintain!
Dear Mr Bopanna,
Are you sure that XDP4.9 is trouble free in long term compared to Di engine?
think about exterme summer days in north (when this engine may overheat) and chilling winter (when this engine has to be in perfect condition to start early morning). Though i am using XDP4.9 for years but i still feel if its not for speed then Di is any day better.
BTW how much is the weight difference between XDP4.9 and MDI engine ?

Shubhendra
Old 1st May 2014, 02:43   #69
BHPian

Finally its just waiting for a transplant of engine n gearbox . Thank you for your tips but how about a Scorpio engine n g/box.
Attached Thumbnails
Engine, Gearbox, Diff ratios, axles options for the JEEP-photo-4-4.jpg  

Engine, Gearbox, Diff ratios, axles options for the JEEP-photo-3-3.jpg  

Engine, Gearbox, Diff ratios, axles options for the JEEP-photo-1-2.jpg  

Engine, Gearbox, Diff ratios, axles options for the JEEP-photo-2-2.jpg  

Old 1st May 2014, 23:14   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Dear Mr Bopanna,
Are you sure that XDP4.9 is trouble free in long term compared to Di engine?
think about exterme summer days in north (when this engine may overheat) and chilling winter (when this engine has to be in perfect condition to start early morning). Though i am using XDP4.9 for years but i still feel if its not for speed then Di is any day better.
BTW how much is the weight difference between XDP4.9 and MDI engine ?

Shubhendra
Shubhendra

I have used both XDP 4.90 and MD 2350 engines for more than 25 years.

As long as the thermostat of the XDP is removed (the thermostats are known to fail causing overheating and a rupture of the head gasket) and the road speed does not exceed 80 kmph, I have not seen overheating - of course I use stock reduction of 4.88:1.
During the Coorg chills (probably not as cold as in northern India), preheating twice or thrice results in the engine starting at first crank.

If the XDP is well looked after (I used only Castrol Deusol Super earlier and Castrol CRB plus later), it is trouble free and when required, re-building the engine is very economical compared to an XD 3P.
I replaced the piston rings and sleeves after 15 years, that was the only major repair EVER carried out on my XDP engined MM 540!

Before the DI engines were introduced, both the XDP 4.90 and MD 2350 engines were equally (non) silent. The MDI 3200 is obviously noisier than the MD 2350 because of the intrinsic nature of DI engines (no pre-chamber combustion which deadens the sound to some extent)

Insofar as the engine weights are concerned, an XDP 4.90 is 184 Kg whereas a MDI 3200 is 260 Kg!

Cheers!

Last edited by cpbopanna : 1st May 2014 at 23:19.
cpbopanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2016, 19:21   #71
BHPian

Hi guys & gurus, I would really love to get your inputs on a project I am thinking about.
I have a Verito at my disposal and I intend to use its every part in building up a Jeep. Engine is working, and well power steering and other parts might be of use too.
Now 1.5 TDCI is a gem of an engine and this one has less than 25k KMs on it. This car is mine and was just 1 year old when it met with an accident, since it was lying in a yard waiting for the legal proceedings to get over.
There are people here who are saying they can transplant this engine to a jeep bay.
Now, I have asked a lot of guys around and have received mixed views about it, majorly:
1. Scrap the verito and buy a jeep.
2. get verito repaired and then sell it to buy Jeep
3. Renault's 1.5L engine would not be sufficient for a Jeep and will be under powered.
4. It may fit but will have reliability issues.
I already have a Xylo, Dzire, City and M800 automatic. I need a jeep. Please advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Engine, Gearbox, Diff ratios, axles options for the JEEP-screenshot_20160219190100.png  

Engine, Gearbox, Diff ratios, axles options for the JEEP-screenshot_20160219190138.png  

Engine, Gearbox, Diff ratios, axles options for the JEEP-img20160219wa00291.jpg  

Last edited by wrongturn : 19th February 2016 at 19:40.
Old 29th February 2016, 21:45   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

^^

Hi,

My sincere advise is to scrap the Verito and buy a Jeep.

1. The engine transplant, even if done will definitely have reliability issues, and you will need to run a lot of kilometers to sort it out. Not worth the time and money, if its not for a specific purpose, IMO.
2. The engine even if transplanted makes the Jeep unworthy of an RC Book. You will get into big trouble if it gets involved in an accident.
3. For the amount of time and money you need to spend to put that Verito engine into the Jeep, you might as well buy a 2nd hand Jeep. A running condition 2WD 540 can be got for as low as 65-75k. For 1lac you can easily get an OK or even good condition one.

I understand that you are trying to find use for that Verito somehow for your Jeep, but, trust me, its not worth it.
dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2016, 20:36   #73
BHPian

Could any one help identifying which vehicles in India come with the Dana 60 axle?

thanks -
Old 7th March 2016, 12:27   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut View Post
Could any one help identifying which vehicles in India come with the Dana 60 axle?

thanks -
Hi Lugnut,

The Mahindra Tourister comes with a REAR Dana 60.

papaboost and prabhuav will be able to give more details.

Regards,

Arka
Old 11th March 2016, 11:16   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
^^

Hi,

My sincere advise is to scrap the Verito and buy a Jeep.

1. The engine transplant, even if done will definitely have reliability issues, and you will need to run a lot of kilometers to sort it out. Not worth the time and money, if its not for a specific purpose, IMO.
2. The engine even if transplanted makes the Jeep unworthy of an RC Book. You will get into big trouble if it gets involved in an accident.
3. For the amount of time and money you need to spend to put that Verito engine into the Jeep, you might as well buy a 2nd hand Jeep. A running condition 2WD 540 can be got for as low as 65-75k. For 1lac you can easily get an OK or even good condition one.

I understand that you are trying to find use for that Verito somehow for your Jeep, but, trust me, its not worth it.
Thanks a lot, I will be doing that. Would sell Verito and invest that money in building a proper jeep and hey am going to need a lot of help and advice from you. You have built yourself a BEAST of a jeep and it's one of the motivating factor why I want to build myself one of those. Thank you.

Most Viewed