Team-BHP - Engine, Gearbox, Diff ratios, axles options for the JEEP
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Technical (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/)
-   -   Engine, Gearbox, Diff ratios, axles options for the JEEP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/101444-engine-gearbox-diff-ratios-axles-options-jeep-7.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpbopanna (Post 4090069)
Please consider the new MDi turbo (non CRD). The engine is economical and will remain trouble-free for long!

It would be a direct fit and I wont need to change anything else, except the engine and the engine mountings maybe, correct?

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderernomad (Post 4090110)
It would be a direct fit and I wont need to change anything else, except the engine and the engine mountings maybe, correct?

I am not sure, but it MAY require an adapter plate between the housing and engine!

Just went through the debate over engine swap in the forum and the end result of it seems to be that its better to overhaul and maintain the existing one. I ahve no engine related issues except the smoke at idle which has not gone despite almost 2 years and about 10000 kms. Mech says its probably the FIP issue. Is it possible to get a new or a new old FIP for the XDP now a days?

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderernomad (Post 4090275)
Just went through the debate over engine swap in the forum and the end result of it seems to be that its better to overhaul and maintain the existing one. I ahve no engine related issues except the smoke at idle which has not gone despite almost 2 years and about 10000 kms. Mech says its probably the FIP issue. Is it possible to get a new or a new old FIP for the XDP now a days?

In that case please carry out a thorough overall and re-calibration of the fuel pump at a Bosch Authorized Service Centre, that should do the trick :)

I need the experts help for solving the issue that I am having with my 63 Willys Station Wagon with Perkins P4 engine.The jeep has the original petrol model differentilal and it doesn't move smoothly on the road.

As its a 2WD, I need to use it for On Road use only and want it to move freely. Please advise on which differential will be the best for this option.

Thanks in advance

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanjeevkanjoor (Post 4209699)
Please advise on which differential will be the best for this option.

The original petrol differential was 5.38 as petrol engines are much higher revving engines. If you are going to use tyres upto 31 inches the ideal ratio for you would be 47/11 or 4.27. This is the stock ratio of the Non Turbo Mahindra Pick up.

Hello Gurus,

I believe this thread is the right place for my question.
I have been looking around for a used Mahindra CL 500 MDI for a couple of months now.
I recently came across a 1996 CL 500 MD 4 WD (Its not MDI - see picture attached).
Could anyone help with key differences between CL 500 MD and MDI?
I could find details of CL 500 MDI (My family owns one too, its 2000 make) all over the place, but no luck so far with CL 500 MD.

Thanks a ton!
Dileep.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dileepcm (Post 4275375)
Hello Gurus,

I believe this thread is the right place for my question.
I have been looking around for a used Mahindra CL 500 MDI for a couple of months now.
I recently came across a 1996 CL 500 MD 4 WD (Its not MDI - see picture attached).
I could find details of CL 500 MDI (My family owns one too, its 2000 make) all over the place, but no luck so far with CL 500 MD.

Thanks a ton!
Dileep.

I reckon it has the indirect injection MD-2350 engine of the International Harvestor lineage, as opposed to the direct injection engine that was introduced later!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpbopanna (Post 4275462)
I reckon it has the indirect injection MD-2350 engine of the International Harvestor lineage

Thanks cpbopanna, I was sort of thinking in same direction initially, but at the same time I never thought the CL series had non - DI engines too.
It could be just me:).

Anyway, I have asked for further details, hopefully will hear back soon on the true status.

Thanks,
Dileep.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankenstein (Post 2357466)
I will post all the engines , gearboxes, axles and Diff ratios used in JEEPS in India .

Respected sir I am in an awkward situation I have bought a jeep with Isuzu 4JA1 engine (tavera) and Isuzu trooper gearbox plz advice optimal differential ratio if I want to use 33inch tyres

Which Jeep , if its a short wheelbase go for 9/44 , if 550 the 5.38

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashwinvardhan (Post 4315562)
Respected sir I am in an awkward situation I have bought a jeep with Isuzu 4JA1 engine (tavera) and Isuzu trooper gearbox plz advice optimal differential ratio if I want to use 33inch tyres

You will need atleast 4.88 ratio. 44/9.

If you consider serious offroading, then 5.38. 43/8

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanjeevkanjoor (Post 4209699)
I need the experts help for solving the issue that I am having with my 63 Willys Station Wagon with Perkins P4 engine.The jeep has the original petrol model differentilal and it doesn't move smoothly on the road.

As a kid I remember that my dad had purchased a Willys Stationwagon in the late 70's, and replaced the Hurricane Petrol with a Perkins P4.
The P4 being a low reving high torque engine used to break the axle, secondly it had enough torque for a top gear start too.
Years later after many axle changes the differential was changed, and the axle failure issue resolved. New issue that crept up was speedo error, only thing I remember was that the distance from our home in Pune to the one in Mumbai which was initially reading as 155 had started reading as 97. This should help you in calculating a suitable change in differntial ratio as compared to original one.

Rahul

Quote:

Originally Posted by dileepcm (Post 4275375)
Dileep.

Hi Dileep, This is the first DI engine Mahindra made. I have the same Mahindra . It is basically MDI2500 which is a B275 IDI engine converted to DI. It is DI but comes with heater plugs.

When my Dad bought this, I remember the Mechanic telling him that DI engine is no good and he should sell the Jeep immediately :). Ofcourse we all know how the DI series engines changed the fortunes for Mahindra.

See this posting by Late Behram Sir to know the history of the Mahindra engines:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...ml#post1444767

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4addict (Post 4317015)
Hi Dileep, This is the first DI engine Mahindra made. I have the same Mahindra . It is basically MDI2500 which is a B275 IDI engine converted to DI. It is DI but comes with heater plugs.

When my Dad bought this, I remember the Mechanic telling him that DI engine is no good and he should sell the Jeep immediately :). Ofcourse we all know how the DI series engines changed the fortunes for Mahindra.

See this posting by Late Behram Sir to know the history of the Mahindra engines:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...ml#post1444767

4x4addict - Thanks a ton! Really appreciate the details, thanks for the link as well.