Team-BHP - Engine, Gearbox, Diff ratios, axles options for the JEEP
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Technical (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/)
-   -   Engine, Gearbox, Diff ratios, axles options for the JEEP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/101444-engine-gearbox-diff-ratios-axles-options-jeep-8.html)

Hello, can anyone identify this gearbox? Can i mate this gearbox with SIMPSONS S4 engine?
Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jojijacob (Post 4380709)
Hello, can anyone identify this gearbox?
Thanks!

Looks like a KMT90 GB.
Quote:

Can i mate this gearbox with SIMPSONS S4 engine?
Yes you can. Just make sure you get the right bell housing or get an adapter plate done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhanushs (Post 4380833)
Looks like a KMT90 GB.

Yes you can. Just make sure you get the right bell housing or get an adapter plate done.

Thanks for the advice.

I'm planning to convert my 80' model MM 560D 2WD to 4WD. I'm also changing the engine to SIMPSONS S4 as the stock Cooper (P4)engine is very noisy and consumes a lot of engine oil. As you know, both axles have to be changed as part of 4x4 conversion. Can you please suggest me a perfect combination of front and rear axles and differential ratio? Does MM 550 axles (open knuckle and with disk brake setup) suite my jeep?

Regards,
Jacob.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jojijacob (Post 4381313)
Thanks for the advice. I'm planning to convert my 80' model MM 560D 2WD to 4WD. I'm also changing the engine to SIMPSONS S4 as the stock Cooper (P4)engine is very noisy and consumes a lot of engine oil.

The Simpsons S4 engine is very heavy, has no rpm and is super boring to drive on roads. Even if you get the engine for free the installation cost is not worth it. Go for Di Turbo engine. No hassle, easy installation and maintenance. Will last you a lifetime.

Quote:

As you know, both axles have to be changed as part of 4x4 conversion. Can you please suggest me a perfect combination of front and rear axles and differential ratio? Does MM 550 axles (open knuckle and with disk brake setup) suite my jeep?
Yes, you can fit 57" OKBJ in the front and 53" FFRA in the rear. You will get these in military scrap yards.

If its simpsons you can put 4.27 or 3.73 for upto 31" tyres. If its Di Turbo put 4.27 (47/11) for up to 31" tyres.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhanushs (Post 4381379)
The Simpsons S4 engine is very heavy, has no rpm and is super boring to drive on roads. Even if you get the engine for free the installation cost is not worth it. Go for Di Turbo engine. No hassle, easy installation and maintenance. Will last you a lifetime.

On road use will be minimal as this jeep is primarily intended to use in a cardamom plantation. The engine, gearbox and chassis should be capable of carrying heavy loads through very steep and tough plantation roads. There are a few long chassis jeeps here fitted with S4 engines. Installing a turbo engine in a 80 model jeep may lead to complications at the time of re- testing the fitness, I guess. Are you sure that installation coast will be high for S4? What is your opinion on installing XD3P instead of S4? One XD3P 2005 model is for sale for 28K.
Regards
jacob.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jojijacob (Post 4381669)
What is your opinion on installing XD3P instead of S4?

I think XD3 + 5.38 would be viable for your stated work.
See to it that it has a VDE rather than a CAV. An old CAV will give you a lot of grief.

Regards
Sutripta

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sutripta (Post 4381756)
I think XD3 + 5.38 would be viable for your stated work.
See to it that it has a VDE rather than a CAV. An old CAV will give you a lot of grief.

Regards
Sutripta

Agree. “If” he gets a good condition XD3P. If not, will be riddled with heating issues. Smoke issues. Starting issues. And more. Only advantage is lesser NVH, which in a good engine is just superb.

A guaranteed good condition XD3P is rare.

S4 engine is fool proof. We run it in our generator with zero maintance. But, I just think it’s not suitable for a jeep in 2018. Di Turbo is much better considering swapping and maintance cost.

If you give the enthusiast some space, then I’d suggest the Scorpio SZ+ Chain Drive. But looking at the posts, I guess the use is purely donkey types (Industrial). And hence the suggestion of Di Turbo. Or even better MDI

SOS Call
Can someone help me find a bell housing which could mate the hurricane F134 with kmt90 4 speed gearbox?

Quote:

Originally Posted by P.SINGH (Post 3424939)
Finally its just waiting for a transplant of engine n gearbox . Thank you for your tips but how about a Scorpio engine n g/box.

Sorry its been too long and i wanted to Thank all you Gurus for your advise
I have put in a DI engine with a Bolero grear box with a single stick shift to 4X4 .... sorry don’t know the model number .... and its an absolute Pleasure to drive it . Pick up is Super but only one problem am having .... there is a big wabbeling on the front wheels n stearing wheel at 80km and above .... Please advise

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shubhendra (Post 3420144)
Dear Mr. P. Singh,
If you want to retain current gearbox and transfer case then i would suggest you to go for Mahindra Di (without turbo) engine. it mates well with said gearbox and work beautifully. However, if your monthly running is less you can consider using petrol engine, now days there is hardly difference of 20 rs between petrol and diesel and cost/effort/time you incur for conversion would not offset until your running is high.

Shubhendra Singh

Quote:

Originally Posted by P.SINGH (Post 4478508)
Sorry its been too long and i wanted to Thank all you Gurus for your advise
I have put in a DI engine with a Bolero grear box with a single stick shift to 4X4 .... sorry don’t know the model number .... and its an absolute Pleasure to drive it . Pick up is Super but only one problem am having .... there is a big wabbeling on the front wheels n stearing wheel at 80km and above .... Please advise

Some more pictures of my collection of old buties

Quote:

Originally Posted by P.SINGH (Post 4478508)
there is a big wabbeling on the front wheels n stearing wheel at 80km and above .... Please advise

Remove the knuckle kit and set the clearance of kingpin bearings. AND, balance your wheels.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankenstein (Post 2357466)
I will post all the engines , gearboxes, axles and Diff ratios used in JEEPS in India .

ENGINES: BHP/TORQUE

Peugeot Range of engines.

XDP4.9 62bhp/12.3kgm

XD3P 73bhp/15.5kgm

XD2S 80bhp/?

TUD5 58bhp/10kgm

MAHINDRA RANGE OF ENGINES

International B275 38bhp/12kgm

International B475 43bhp/?

International B575 59bhp/15.5kgm

MDI 3000 55bhp/16kgm

MDI3200TC 63bhp/18kgm

M eagle 104bhp/24kgm

2.6 SZ PLUS 109bhp/26kgm

2.6 CRDE 115bhp/28kgm

2.2 Mhawk 140bhp/29kgm

ISUZU RANGE OF ENGINES

4ZBI(petrol) 75bhp/13.3kgm

4FB1 58bhp/10.5kgm

4FC1 65bhp/
4FD1 75bhp/

4FG1 78bhp/15.5kgm

4FG1 TC 86bhp/16.5kgm

4JG2 100bhp/26kgm

4JG2 TC 120bhp/28kgm

TOYOTA RANGE ENGINES

Qualis engine 75bhp/15kgm

1N 54bhp/9kgm

2C 70bhp/13kgm

2C TC ?/?

3C ?/?

3C TC ?/?

G13B ?/?

G14B 100bhp/28kgm

Kirloskar ?/?

PERKINS ENGINE RANGE

P3 ?/?

P4 ?/?

P6 ?/?

SIMPSONS ENGINE RANGE

S3 ?/?

S4.

NISSAN RANGE

BD 25

BD30 100bhp/22kgm

RD 28 ,6 pot 100bhp/18kgm

SUZUKI RANGE OF ENGINES

Gypsy 1L engine 45bhp/?

Gypsy 1.3L engine 80bhp/10.3kgm
Baleno 1.6L engine 93bhp/13.2kgm

TATA RANGE ENGINES

2.0 TCIC 68bhp/12kgm

3.0 (407) 60bhp/16kgm

MATADOR(force) RANGE

305 ?/?
307(om616) 68bhp/13kgm

WILLYS ENGINES

F-HEAD 134 HURRICANE 75bhp/15.5kgm

L-HEAD 134 GO-DEVIL 60bhp/14.2kgm

4WD GEARBOXES USED:

Peugeot BA10-5 SPEED

Mahindra NGT520-5SPEED

Mahindra NGT530R-5 SPEED

KMT-90 -4 SPEED

T-84 -3 SPEED

T-90 -3 SPEED

Low ratio T-90 (FC TRUCK)
Isuzu MUA5 5 SPEED

Isuzu 4 speed

Mitsubushi/Kia 4 speed

Gypsy GB 5 speed

I have driven , seen heard most of the above mentioned engine/GB transplants done in JEEPs in India.

DIFFERENTIAL RATIOS / CROWN PINION.

These are the different differential ratios used for Jeeps in India.

3.73:1 FOR EASY CRUISING

4.27:1 CRUISING

4.88:1 BALANCE BETWEEN CRUISING AND LOW END TORQUE

5.38:1 MORE OF LOW END TORQUE

5.89:1. MAXIMUM CRAWL RATIO FOR ROCK CRAWLING.

Please add if i have missed anything.

Note: low end torque and cruising speed may differ from engine to engine and Transmission to transmission and both together.

Here goes the axles options for Jeeps.

CKKP (Closed Knuckle King Pin)
48.5" Front Track 10 Spline & 19 Spline (CJ3A/CJ3B/CJ340/CL340/Cdr650)
51" Front Track 19 Spline (MM540/MM550XD/Cdr750)
58" Front Track 19 Spline (FC Van)

Rear Axle
48.5" Front Track 10 Spline & 19 Spline (CJ3A/CJ3B/CJ340/CL340/Cdr650)
51" Front Track 19 Spline & 30 Spline MM550XD (MM540/MM550XD/Cdr750)
58" Front Track 19 Spline (FC Van)

OKBJ (Open Knuckle Ball-Joint)
51" Track M&M Major/Cdr 750 (NGCS) 19 Spline
57" Track Bolero/Pikup MM550XD (NGCS) 19 Spline

Rear 1 Piece FFRA (53" Track)
1) MM550XD/Bolero/Pickup Series (19 Spline)

Rear 1 piece SFRA (53" Track)
Scorpio/Bolero Invader/Pickup Series.

All the Above a DANA44 (19 Spline or 30 Spline with 2 Carrier Breaks)

I am not able to recollect some other options, Please add if i have missed out something.

I am in possession of 2003 model MM540 DP 4WD which was purchased from "Care India" auction in year 2012. The entire car is in stock condition baring addition of some auxiliary lights and Free Wheel Hub from Swastik India. All mechanical like engine, gearbox and steering etc perform like new one. Oil consumption is zero with no leakage and no overheating of engine. Tires are 6.00-16 CEAT HT 85
Problems are poor mileage (11-12 Kmpl on highway) and poor top speed (90 Kmph). It is not used for any off road purpose and used only in city and highway driving. Someone suggested replacing the engine with DI engine. I am getting one DI engine of 2012 model Mahindra Commander Soft top along with 51" OKJB differential and 51" rear differential with Crown Pinion ratio of 47/11 i.e. 4.27. (Currently it is 44/9 i.e. 4.88). Present differentials are also 51” with front CKKP. It has 4 speed KMT 90 gearbox. Reaching the top speed of 90 KMPH we feel to engage fifth gear which is not available.
The whole setup of engine with differential, gear box housing can be exchanged for Rs. 25 K. Labor and miscellaneous charges like new engine mounting will another 7 K -10 K.
I would like to know whether to go for such modification or replace only the front and rear differentials for better highway cruising or I should change the entire offered setup. So I can get good mileage with good top speed and no need for looking for the fifth gear.
Lastly I would like your suggestions whether to sale the Jeep as there is not much use of it. Recently I spent Rs. 30K for re registration and spending Rs. 9,500/- yearly for third party insurance. The jeep is in immaculate condition and can easily fetch price of Rs. Two Lakhs. NOC for other state can also be obtained. I have two other vehicles too, one Maruti Zen 2005 model for city driving with 38000 kms of odometer reading and one Nissan Terrano XVD for highways with 51000 kms of odometer reading. I expect your valuable comments. Thanks in advance.

^^^
Before doing anything major, pls check whether the speedo/ odo is underreading.

Regards
Sutripta

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sutripta (Post 4684331)
^^^

Regards
Sutripta

Sir as mentioned earlier vehicle is in stock condition. Odometer along with oil pressure, temperature meter are all original. The gear box pinion which connects to odometer is also original. Vehicle was maintained very well by Care India and I also tried my best to maintain it. It is very reliable too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sutripta (Post 4684331)
^^^

Regards
Sutripta

Sir as mentioned earlier vehicle is in stock condition. Odometer along with oil pressure, temperature meter etc. are all original. The gear box speedometer pinion which connects to odometer is also original. Vehicle was maintained very well by Care India and I also tried my best to maintain it. It is very reliable too. The only problem is higher fuel consumption and urge of engaging fifth gear( It has only Four forward gears) when it reaches 80+ KMPH. Once I was driving it in GT Road and one Nano Car overtook it.I was embarrassed and stopped it for attending call of nature. lol: