Team-BHP - Engine, Gearbox, Diff ratios, axles options for the JEEP
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Technical (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/)
-   -   Engine, Gearbox, Diff ratios, axles options for the JEEP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/101444-engine-gearbox-diff-ratios-axles-options-jeep-9.html)

[quote=rch_vijayant;4684229]
Lastly I would like your suggestions whether to sale the Jeep as there is not much use of it. {/QUOTE]

If you are not using much why to keep it? but Jeep is such a vehicle, you think of selling when own it and you think of buying when you sell it :)
I presume in current condition you may have 4.88 crown pinion ratio, you can swap this set with 4.27 as you dont use it for offroad, it wont impact you much but will increase your top end.

Shubhendra

Quote:

Originally Posted by rch_vijayant (Post 4684376)
Sir as mentioned earlier vehicle is in stock condition...
...The only problem is higher fuel consumption and urge of engaging fifth gear( It has only Four forward gears) when it reaches 80+ KMPH.

Try removing the front flanges and see if things improve. If yes, then fit a free wheeling hub.

Also, don’t expect Thar like experience from the 540. Try driving a couple of other 540’s and see how yours fares.

[quote=Shubhendra;4684659]
Quote:

Originally Posted by rch_vijayant (Post 4684229)
Lastly I would like your suggestions whether to sale the Jeep as there is not much use of it. {/QUOTE]

If you are not using much why to keep it? but Jeep is such a vehicle, you think of selling when own it and you think of buying when you sell it :)
I presume in current condition you may have 4.88 crown pinion ratio, you can swap this set with 4.27 as you dont use it for offroad, it wont impact you much but will increase your top end.

Shubhendra

Thanks for your advice. Just want to know if current Peugeot engine will be compatible with 4.27 C/P ratio ? As it is high rpm engine in comparison to DI engine. It is a layman idea which needs comments from expert like you. Thanks in advance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhanushs (Post 4684735)
Try removing the front flanges and see if things improve. If yes, then fit a free wheeling hub.

Also, don’t expect Thar like experience from the 540. Try driving a couple of other 540’s and see how yours fares.

Sir it is already fitted with Free wheel hub from Swastik. When needed to use 4wd then it is locked otherwise rest of the time the free wheel hub remains in unlocked position. Can you let me know me whether 5 speed gear box with 4wd is available for 540? If available then I will replace it with mine and that will save engine, differential and precious time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rch_vijayant (Post 4684376)
The only problem is higher fuel consumption and urge of engaging fifth gear( It has only Four forward gears) when it reaches 80+ KMPH. Once I was driving it in GT Road and one Nano Car overtook it.I was embarrassed and stopped it for attending call of nature. lol:

I think this vehicle is perfectly fine as far as I see, if the original specs is around 60 BHP (Some of those horses may have escaped over the years) & a top speed of around 100Kmph, the mileage figure of 12Kmpl at 90Kmph seems good to me.

If at all you are looking at a highway capable Jeep, go ahead and get a Thar CRDe instead.

Lets forget the Nano for now, it can maintain about 110 KMPH, which is more than what an MM540 can do when its brand new :)

The 500DP (5.38) used to have a top speed of around 105. But you would not want to take it anywhere beyond 80-85. And if you pushed it, fuel consumption (and temperatures) would shoot up. Used like that 12Kmpl would be good.
I expect the 540 to be similar. in that respect 90 top speed is on the low side. (Better than the B275 which had a top speed of ~70. Slower than the trucks on the highway!)

Jeep speedometer/ odometer readings are all over the place. Mostly wildly optimistic, but sometimes the other way around. Very simple to check out the odometer. Principle of shortest/ simplest/ cheapest job first.

Don't expect more than what the vehicle can deliver, and you'll enjoy it. Else get another vehicle. I think there was a thread on the wished for but nonexistent 'highway jeep'.

Regards
Sutripta

One quick question to jeep gurus. This is about the oil pressure sensor in mm550 ngcs. I was playing around with the wiring in my jeep and had to dismantle a few wires. After some new wiring, I am connecting back. I am confused, as where is this oil pressure sensor located? I notice a sensor with only one terminal on the engine head portion, and I guess this is a temperature sensor. Can some one please post some pics here for explanation?

Dear Gurus,

Requesting advice. I have a CJ5 with Isuzu 4fg1 engine and 2 wheel gearbox with 47/11 pinion.

I am upgrading my gb to 5+1 isuzu 4wheel gearbox (trooper). Since I need to install differentials in the front, Seeking advice on moving to a 44/9 pinion (4.88) or continue with 47/11 (4.27).

I use the CJ for 50% of my city drive and also would like it offroad ready. Kindly advice.

Regards,
Ali

Quote:

Originally Posted by habeebali1984 (Post 5027566)
Dear Gurus,

Requesting advice. I have a CJ5 with Isuzu 4fg1 engine and 2 wheel gearbox with 47/11 pinion.

I am upgrading my gb to 5+1 isuzu 4wheel gearbox (trooper). Since I need to install differentials in the front, Seeking advice on moving to a 44/9 pinion (4.88) or continue with 47/11 (4.27).

I use the CJ for 50% of my city drive and also would like it offroad ready. Kindly advice.

Regards,
Ali

If you have no problems in your current set up, carry on with it, 4.88 will be more torquey and if the engine doesn't have enough rpm you will find gears running out soon.

Also, what size tyres are you running?

I am currently using the 265/85/R16

Dear gurus,

Absolute NEWBIE here. I had some questions regarding converting the present 2wd setup on my restomod Jeep to 4wd. And I was hoping for some advice and inputs from you all. Cutting to the chase, I purchased a restomod Willys MB from a friend of mine who got it “brand new” in the year 2010, assembled and built at Jalandhar, Punjab. It is a Willys MB body, Toyota 3C turbocharged engine, power steering, 2wd. It was in need of rust work, painting, suspension overhaul etc. which I had it done during the covid year (2020-2021). Now it’s up and running, no problems as such. Engine runs great, almost daily driving it with some minor repairs here and there. Only in need of power steering repair work. But, I was wondering… if… I had the option of 4x4 on this little Jeep, it can take me anywhere.. right?

My curiosity brought me here, and given my knowledge regarding mods, swaps etc. which is Zero, I wanted to know if it’s possible to convert the 2WD to 4WD?

What diffs, gb, tc are able to mate to the 3C engine? I’ve looked up older threads regarding older jeeps with swapped engines and gb’s but can someone kindly help me out with this setup in mine. I’m not aware of what gb and rear diff is on the Jeep right now, all I know is the engine is a 3c turbo with a 5 spd gear box.

I was wondering whether it is possible to do such a thing? How much will the cost be? Will it be easy to source the parts I require for the conversion? And given the conversion, what other mechanical and structural work do I need to do on the Jeep?

Any comment on this will be appreciated.

Regards :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankenstein (Post 2359683)
Spikey , i have seen these engines in JEEPS in a span of 3 years and it is difficult to track the owners and take pics, but how ever i will post pics of some of the vehicles.

HI Mashmash , i can only give combinations of Jeeps which i have driven and sat .

L-HEAD 134 GO DEVIL +T84 -- very good for willys MB/Ford GPW , CJ2A, CJ3A

HURRICANE F-134 OVERHEAD VALVE + T90 is good for just the CJ3B.

Isuzu 4FG1+ Isuzu 5 speed tranny + 4.88 diff ratio is good for the CJ5, CJ6 .

ISUZU G1+ Mitsubishi KIA + 5.38 is awesome for the CJ3B AND CJ3A.

OM 616 + KIA KMT90 + 5.83 is good for the cj500d (91" wheel base)

Matador 305 + T90 + 4.88 IS good for the CJ3B

ISUZU G1+ ISUZU 4 SPEED + 4.88 works well with the CJ3A & 3B.

Qualis engine + gypsy GB + 4.88 for the CJ3B

ISUZU 4FC1 + KMT 90 + 4.88 for the ford GPW

Nissan bd30 + isuzu 5 speed GB+ 4.88 for the mm550, CJ6.

International B275 + KMT90 + 4.27 for the CJ3B and Major.

Perkins P4 + T90 + 4.27 for the CJ3B and commander .

Toyota 3C + ISUZU 5 SPEED + 4.27 for the 3B.

More to come as and when i remember and drive .

scphanse , thanks , most of the engines mentioned were seen , driven by me in Hyderabad.

Santosh the 407 engine was in a commander with KMT90 +4.27 crown pinion and it was a TAXI . I did drive this Jeep , good low end torque but too heavy and the front used to bottom out easily .

Hi Friends,

I am looking for some guidance on the best engine setup combination for CJ3A. I have the post from Frankie in which he has mentioned - ISUZU G1+ ISUZU 4 SPEED + 4.88 works well with the CJ3A as an ideal setup. Are their any other setups which have become in current times or is this still the ideal one.

Also, I have been scouting for the G1 and unable to find one readily available. I would really appreciate if any one has any contact up north who can be of help sourcing one.

Hope to hear from someone soon on this query.

Thanks!

I have been driving my two Thars so I haven't been paying attention. Is it still possible to pick up an Army surplus M550 or have the rules changed? These would all have MDi3200tc motors now, yes?

I would love to get my grubby hands on a M550 with MDi3200tc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderernomad (Post 4090275)
Mech says its probably the FIP issue. Is it possible to get a new or a new old FIP for the XDP now a days?

A new one might cost more than your car.

They used two different pumps on the 2.1, I think Bosch and maybe Continental or Lucas, I can't recall... Whatever, the non-Bosch one was apparently more problematic and it's allegedly hard or impossible to get spares/ rebuild. I'm not sure whether these have the same mounting pattern on the block, either... If not, things could potentially get complicated.

DI/tc is a pretty well-loved engine. Earlier ones were very torquey/ responsive. Rpm limit much lower than the Peugeots, so gearing would have to be higher if you're wanting respectable top-speed.

-Eric

So I've looked at two of these CRDe engines in Scorpios now, and it looks like the basic block is same as the DI's. If that's the case and if the bellhousing mounting pattern is also same, then why couldn't I put a 5-speed from a Thar CRDe or 4x4 Scorp / Getaway (CRDe) in the Marshal?

Marshal has the old Armada Borg-Warner transfer case and the Thar/Scorps use BW's too, so it's not unlikely the splines / mounting are same.

Anyone out there who can confirm whether a CRDe 5-speed (NGT520/530 I guess) can be mated to an old N/A DI on the front end and an older BW TC on the rear?

Was told in Mayapuri earlier that a custom bellhousing was required, and I didn't at all like the quality of the one they showed me there.

Just wanting to cruise better on the highway, and figure a 5-speed gives me a better spread of ratios and also a full-syncronized 1st, rather than just changing my diff gears to 3.73's.

Thanks,
-Eric