Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2011, 14:24   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Modding/refurbishing your 4x4? Here are some non-mechanical but useful suggestions

Haven't you wondered many times while offroading, "i wish i had that feature" or "i need to add this in my jeep"

This thread doesn't talk about mods like engines swaps, snorkels, dif locks and stuff like that which has been discussed in other threads very well.

What i want to share here is non essential but practical modifications.

1. Windshield washers

A run through muck will plaster your windscreen with mud and frankly the two nozzles provided are just not enough. Get atleast four twin nozzles with a good pressure pump installed and directed towards the entire of the windscreen.
If you get a mist type sprayer, much better.

2. Clean ORVMs

This is one thing i'm trying to figure out how to make it work. Again the ORVMs get dirty after offroading and ideally if i could spray that with water, it'll be great. But running water pipes through the doors won't be practical. Next best thing, get the small rubber windshield cleaners that the attendants at petrol pumps use to clean your glass. Wet the mirror with water and clean.

3. Day/night IRVM

Nearly every car nowadays comes with day/night internal rear view mirrors. Get a bracket made and install those. Useful for people who drive old jeeps and cannot run away from the trucks that are behind you with their headlights on full blast.

4. Cubby holes

Make a lot of cubby holes for odds and ends in your dash. Older jeeps have a metal dash and it's easy to make these and 4x4s with plastic dash should have the pocket type mobile holders. These come very handy to put your mobile, cig packets, toll receipts etc.

Have a dedicated bigger cubby hole with perforations to put in rags and pieces of cloths to clean the car.

5. Hooks

A few hooks on the dash or the roll cage are really helpful. Can be used for night otrs to hang your torch, bags to discard waste, etc.

Make sure the hooks are blunt and don't have pointed tips or you may hurt yourself

6. Lockable compartments

It's not rocket science to reposition the hand brake. Shift it to the driver's left side and use the center space to make a big console. You can get tons of ideas for that on the web. Make sure it's water resistant as well. This can be used to store a lot of stuff and should be made to a height such that it can double up as a center armrest.
You can also incorporate your music system into it.

7. Grab Handles

Many times you need to hang on (like during ruts) and you land up using the door frames (which is not recommended). If you are making a roll cage, you can incorporate the grab handles. Or else you get plastic handles from vehicle like tata ace, etc which can be screwed onto the a pillar / side of the windscreen.

8. Charging points

Have a couple of charging points atleast. One to charge your mobiles / GPS and the other can be used to power a light during night OTRs. Try to source charging sockets which have a lid so they keep water out when not in use. You can buy them off ebay for cheap. Search for motorcycle/marine charging points

9. Wide Mud flaps

These can prevent a lot of muck from flying around and onto yourself. You can make these from rubber mats.

10. Front Mud Flaps

Mud flaps in front of your front tyre (hanging from the bumper) can prevent the water splash from hitting your windscreen when you enter puddles at higher speeds.

Please share more suggestions
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2011, 14:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Modding/refurbishing your 4x4? Here are some non-mechanical but useful suggestion

Good tips! I specially liked the one about the front flaps.
Let me see if I come up with more ideas.
Old 23rd June 2011, 15:07   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Modding/refurbishing your 4x4? Here are some non-mechanical but useful suggestion

Some points i missed out:

11. Limb Risers / Branch deflectors

These are basically two wires that run from the front (sides) of your bonnet to the top (sides) of the windscreen. They deflect branches upwards towards the top of the vehicle and prevent scratches to the vehicle and save you from a face full of branches which can whiplash into your face (especially for doorless vehicles).

12. Trunk in the back

You can bolt on a heavy trunk to the back and weld a front facing seat on top of it (like i had done in my classic). So you get lots of safe storage without compromising on seating.
Old 25th June 2011, 11:24   #4
BHPian

13. Water sprayer for the radiator to keep temperatures low on the trail

Add an extra sprayer pipe from the windscreen washer reservoir that sprays water onto the front of the radiator (or condensor in case of vehicles with AC)
satan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2011, 11:34   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Some points i missed out:

11. Limb Risers / Branch deflectors

These are basically two wires that run from the front (sides) of your bonnet to the top (sides) of the windscreen. They deflect branches upwards towards the top of the vehicle and prevent scratches to the vehicle and save you from a face full of branches which can whiplash into your face (especially for doorless vehicles).
Can you post a pic? What deflectors can we install to prevent the branches from scratching the paint on the door sides? Will these work for branches jutting on the lower sides but not over?

--Ragul

Last edited by Ragul : 25th June 2011 at 11:36.
Old 25th June 2011, 12:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Can you post a pic? What deflectors can we install to prevent the branches from scratching the paint on the door sides? Will these work for branches jutting on the lower sides but not over?

--Ragul
here is Raj Kapoor's jeep with branch deflectors.
Attached Thumbnails
Modding/refurbishing your 4x4? Here are some non-mechanical but useful suggestions-11042009580.jpg  

Old 26th June 2011, 09:07   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan View Post
13. Water sprayer for the radiator to keep temperatures low on the trail

Add an extra sprayer pipe from the windscreen washer reservoir that sprays water onto the front of the radiator (or condensor in case of vehicles with AC)
Caution : IMHO & AFAIK >> ' DONT DO THIS '

REASON ; Very HOT RADIATOR + COLD WATER ( Sudden ) = CRACKS ???

Sudarshan

P.S. one can use extra fan for this
Old 26th June 2011, 12:26   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
Caution : IMHO & AFAIK >> ' DONT DO THIS '

REASON ; Very HOT RADIATOR + COLD WATER ( Sudden ) = CRACKS ???
What happens when you are driving through intermittent but heavy rains sir
Old 26th June 2011, 12:49   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan View Post
What happens when you are driving through intermittent but heavy rains sir
Frankly I Cant say --- havent got it so much over heated just before heavy rains . But I wont recomend that --

I have heard few wiser people saying this , so I say

Anyways you can try & tell but who is going to test it ?

Now for this thread ---

1) hooks for the Jeep

Modding/refurbishing your 4x4? Here are some non-mechanical but useful suggestions-2hook.jpg

Modding/refurbishing your 4x4? Here are some non-mechanical but useful suggestions-3hookop.jpg
2) Cargo hold net

Modding/refurbishing your 4x4? Here are some non-mechanical but useful suggestions-5cargonet.jpg

3) Reflective tapes ( sample ) & Marker rod

Modding/refurbishing your 4x4? Here are some non-mechanical but useful suggestions-4relfctmark.jpg
4) Reverse Lamp

Modding/refurbishing your 4x4? Here are some non-mechanical but useful suggestions-1revl.jpg

5) Some more reflective tape

Modding/refurbishing your 4x4? Here are some non-mechanical but useful suggestions-6reflective.jpg

Sudarshan

P. S. To BHP Support -If these pics dosent fit in the thread please delete it .

Last edited by Sudarshan : 26th June 2011 at 12:51.
Old 26th June 2011, 13:34   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is one thing i'm trying to figure out how to make it work. Again the ORVMs get dirty after offroading and ideally if i could spray that with water, it'll be great. But running water pipes through the doors won't be practical.
Its not that outlandish. tons of hatches out there (including mine) have rear wash & wipes. The water comes via a pipe and goes through the hatch door before being sprayed from the base of the rear windows
greenhorn is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2011, 10:16   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Its not that outlandish. tons of hatches out there (including mine) have rear wash & wipes. The water comes via a pipe and goes through the hatch door before being sprayed from the base of the rear windows
Cool thanks. I didn't think of that. Maybe a separate pump can be installed for the mirrors. Let me try it out and see how i can do it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks