Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2011, 00:14   #1
BHPian

550 xd body shell on invader chassis

hi,
i would like to know if it is possible to fit a army disposal 550xd's body shell on the chassis of a 2006 invader and do these two vehicle's( mm550 xd ngcs & mm invader) share the same platform(chassis) or not. your inputs would invaluable source of info.
regards
sammy aulakh
Old 18th July 2011, 10:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: 550 xd body shell on invader chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyaulakh View Post
hi,
i would like to know if it is possible to fit a army disposal 550xd's body shell on the chassis of a 2006 invader and do these two vehicle's( mm550 xd ngcs & mm invader) share the same platform(chassis) or not. your inputs would invaluable source of info.
regards
sammy aulakh

these two vehicles are different.

but the body can be fitted on the invaders chassis as overall proportions are same.

you need to alter the body mounting positions according to those on the invader chassis by changing the support channels shown here.
550 xd body shell on invader chassis-sinhaparts.jpg

550 xd body shell on invader chassis-154.jpg

also the invader has longer rear overhang so you need to see that too.

a photo shop i made on the arka's (ex670c) jeep.
[550 xd body shell on invader chassis-inveder-550-small.jpg
rgds,
Nikhil

EDIT: also see http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/61642-new-body-shell-mm540.html

Last edited by jeepster : 18th July 2011 at 10:55.
jeepster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2011, 21:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

I am an Invader owner. Please know it is not a good PURE off-roader. The rear end is poorly designed. There is a long informative post here someplace by Brutus on its weaknesses....anyway, if you want it for long range trekking or about town stuff, it ain't all that bad but don't expect it to perform like a MM550 or SWB jeep off road.
Old 19th July 2011, 00:24   #4
BHPian

@ dan ,
i am only going to be using the chassis and the differentials of the invader, the
rest is all going to be a mix and match.
Old 19th July 2011, 00:37   #5
BHPian

@ dan ,
the invader i am using as a donor vehicle is a 4wd version and i was made to believe that there is no difference between the MM 550 XD ( NGCS) and the invader except the body . please clarify my doubts.
Old 19th July 2011, 10:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ dan ,
the invader i am using as a donor vehicle is a 4wd version and i was made to believe that there is no difference between the MM 550 XD ( NGCS) and the invader except the body . please clarify my doubts.
there is at least one difference, a big one.

the rear overhang.
550 xd body shell on invader chassis-vs1.jpg

550 xd body shell on invader chassis-vs2.jpg
for more details please contact SPIKE ARRESTOR.

rgds,
Nikhil
jeepster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2011, 15:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ dan ,
No, there are differences particularly in the rear end, as I stated above.

See the thread "Articulating on Articulation" post #12 by Brutus. He wrote a book in this post but what you want to see is about half way down the post starting....

"Well was that a question or an answer, coz you answered it yourself. I never said anything about the onroad suspension of the Invader, but the offroad(this is an offroad thread, aint it). You seem to know pretty well why i called it the crappiest suspension."

Again, I am an Invader owner and I have found what Brutus said in his post to be quite accurate and informative. If you want a maximum performing off-roader from an Invader chassis you will have to modify the rear suspension. It is not a jeep rear end. Front end is a nice handling NGCS on 57" axles but the rear is a horrible mishmash inherent in the Invader. The Striker, the military vehicle built after the Invader plan, does have a different rear suspension I believe.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 19th July 2011 at 15:59.
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks