Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2011, 14:06   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Fortuner runs over the road barrier

Yes, i think the speed matters a lot. Probability and severity of damage increases exponentially with speed.

I ran over a huge concrete lump (taller than usual divider size) in my Tucson and it scraped the underside all the way from the front bumper till left front door (as I turned to get it out of the way). I thought I have had it - oil sump gone or something. The engine bay in Tucson has a protective cover and it surprizingly took all the impact and did not pass it on to any of the engine/transmission components. Honestly, the undercover is made of plastic or fiber but seems to have good strength - at least as long as speeds are low.

Does Fotuner also come with similar underbody protection for the engine bay? If so, what is it made of? Just curious.
Old 18th October 2011, 14:21   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post

E.g. I am still eagerly waiting to see if any Vento AT if braked hard from 120 looses it's ECU sanity or not. Believe me, I was dreaming about it the other day.... If I had a Vento AT, it would have been resolved by now.

Cheers!
I assume you're referring to my friend's problem...well we shall never know since I refuse to court trouble by trying it in my own Vento AT!

Nitin, is the problem solved?
Old 18th October 2011, 16:44   #18
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fortuner runs over the he road barrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I assume you're referring to my friend's problem...well we shall never know since I refuse to court trouble by trying it in my own Vento AT!

Nitin, is the problem solved?
I took the vehicle to TASS, yesterday and had a complete checkup done. There was a tiny difference in the alignment which was corrected. A through inspection of the under chassis, suspensions, brakes etc., was done and there was not even a single scratch. Phew!

They also did their best to fix the footstep, although to get a complete perfection, its got to be replaced, costing about 14K.

I noticed a small dent on the bonnet, probably caused by some kid playing in the basement. TASS quoted 6K for this repair, I declined this repair.

I took the vehicle to myTVS, today afternoon and had a PDR done. The dent is 99% rectified, costing INR 500/-!

Please find the pics below.

Nitin
Attached Thumbnails
Fortuner runs over the road barrier-img00070201110181456.jpg  

Fortuner runs over the road barrier-img00067201110181445.jpg  

Fortuner runs over the road barrier-img00068201110181446.jpg  

Fortuner runs over the road barrier-img00069201110181448.jpg  

Last edited by nitinbose : 18th October 2011 at 16:56.
Old 19th October 2011, 19:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Hi Everyone!

.... All I could see was a pole at the center of the road until I heard a loud thud.

The speed was around 40Kmph and I stopped immediately. damage visible.

The next day (today) I came back to bangalore; the car was perfect and I could reach the top speed of 175kph stably.

How can the steering / wheel alignment change so easily, yet we're talking about an off-roader? Does this not mean the alignment would change again if I were to drive on a rough terrain such as a rocky terrain? Could this be the result of some poor engineering, materials or workmanship?
We weren't there and we don't know what you hit or how hard. But, if as you say, you hit a sizable rock, pipe, brick etc. at 40kph, the chances are good that you are going to break something or mess up the alignment. No stock vehicle that I know of, including jeeps built for off-roading, are likely to take that kind of hit without some adverse effect....well, maybe a Humvee on a good day.

If you suspect there could be damage to the front suspension, it's best to get an expert to take a look at it IMMEDIATELY. You might have damage that could cause you to lose total control of the vehicle. Taking your vehicle up to 175kph to see if it's damaged reminds me a little of an electrician grabbing hold of an electric wire to see if it's really dead as he thinks it is. Probably there is a better way.
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2011, 20:10   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hi Team,

I am looking to change my fortuner footsteps as repair seems impossible. TASS is charging 17K per footstep! Could anyone be knowing from where I could get them from some other place at a more cost effective price?

regards,

Nitin
Old 5th December 2011, 20:32   #21
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Dear Nitin,
Glad that you are safe.

Quote:
My question to bhpians: ...How can the steering / wheel alignment change so easily, yet we're talking about an off-roader?
Please note that you have a very rugged SUV and NOT a tank!

Quote:
My question to bhpians: .... Does this not mean the alignment would change again if I were to drive on a rough terrain such as a rocky terrain? Could this be the result of some poor engineering, materials or workmanship?
If you would have taken the road-divider at off-roading speeds (read crawling speeds), I am pretty sure nothing would have happened.

Drive safe!
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2011, 21:07   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Dear Nitin,
Glad that you are safe.

Please note that you have a very rugged SUV and NOT a tank!

If you would have taken the road-divider at off-roading speeds (read crawling speeds), I am pretty sure nothing would have happened.

Drive safe!

Hi,

Thanks, but would you know from where I may obtain a set of footsteps for the Fortuner? TASS is very expensive.

regards,

Nitin
Old 5th December 2011, 22:02   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
An impact like the one you have mentioned which bent the foot steep can easily change the shim placement thereby altering the camber leading to vehicle pulling to a particular director. Ideally it shouldn't change the toe or castor. If toe or castor are also changed then you should be a little cautious.

Furthermore I hope the alloys are ok, i.e. no distortion. Please get the concerned alloy wheel checked for trueness and the tyre for any side wall damage/crack.

Cheers

P.S: Even though the Fortuner is derived from the Hilux, its quite different and and shouldn't be mistaken as a true blue offroader.

How different is the current hilux from the fortuner? Answer. none under the skin. The same chassis, the same 4x4 drive train and the very same brakes. The hilux variant has different body layout and weight and a different engine and therefore different characteristics. I would rate the fortuner better at offroading due to the linear torque and low revv turbo that provides the low end grunt to get out of situations.

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks, but would you know from where I may obtain a set of footsteps for the Fortuner? TASS is very expensive.

regards,

Nitin
I would recommend to replace the steps with a set of rock sliders. they are safer , more robust and will give more GC, not to mention cheaper

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 5th December 2011 at 22:48. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 5th December 2011, 22:13   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

regards,

Nitin
There are aftermarket ones avaialble for 9K per piece, but they are not as strong and robust as the orignal.

You get them at GP Road Chennai, so try out JC road in Bangalore.
Old 5th December 2011, 22:21   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipperone View Post
I would recommend to replace the steps with a set of rock sliders. they are safer , more robust and will give more GC, not to mention cheaper
This exactly what I was looking for! Thanks! Any specific make you would recommend? Where may I obtain them from Bangalore?

Last edited by nitinbose : 5th December 2011 at 22:24.
Old 6th December 2011, 06:32   #26
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Hi

Have you considered going to the 4x4 shop on Museum Road in Bangalore? They just may have what you need.
All the best!

Quote:
This exactly what I was looking for! Thanks! Any specific make you would recommend? Where may I obtain them from Bangalore?
Old 6th December 2011, 09:25   #27
Senior - BHPian

Hi Shankar.balan,

4x4 shop... is that the name of the shop? I was never aware of such a place.

regards,

Nitin
Old 6th December 2011, 19:59   #28
BHPian

@ nitin check this might be useful : 4X4 | Home

Most Viewed