Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2011, 18:56   #1
BHPian

What makes Jeeps such serious offroaders?

Always heard that Jeeps are very serious offroading capabilities.

Always wondered what makes jeeps robust offroaders - particularly what their much costlier counter parts (SUVs) can't match?

A corollary to the question is what makes modern SUVs so much more costlier than jeeps.

I might have differentiated Jeeps from SUVs for the sake of stating above question. Perhaps Jeeps are SUVs themselves. Am I right?

Mayuresh.
Old 16th November 2011, 11:32   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: What makes jeeps such serious offroaders

Jeeps are known to be the most efficient off-roaders in the business.

Their off-road abilities can be attributed to the chassis that it's built on. The suspension has a lot to do with it too. Chunky-tyres with deep-treads allow for superior grip over rough terrain, coupled with a Transfer-Case that helps send power to all four wheels, enabling it to stick to the rough surface that jeeps are generally driven on. A tough exterior (body) ensures that jeeps can take a battering when driven in less-than-perfect conditions.

Some luxury SUVs are equally capable over rough terrain too. The Land Rover Range Rover/Defender/Discovery, are all very capable off-road cars, despite packing equipment and luxury. Jeeps are basic off-roaders that give you the off-road experience without the frills. They're straight-forward and built for a purpose.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 16th November 2011 at 11:35.
Old 16th November 2011, 20:18   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: What makes jeeps such serious offroaders

I presume you are talking about Mahindra Jeeps in particular? The reasons Jeeps are far superior off-roaders when compared to the expensive SUVs are:

- Lightweight (especially compared to the current breed of 2,000+ kilo SUVs). The more you weigh, the easier it is to get bogged down. And the more difficult for others to tow you out.

- Shorter wheelbase : Lesser chance of ending up as an automotive see-saw & getting stuck on obstacles

- Better articulation : More wheels on the ground and thus, superior traction. SUVs with their independent suspensions end up with wheels in the air way too often.

- Great low end torque : Also applicable to diesel SUVs BTW.

- Low ratio gearbox : And thus, multiplication of torque. Few SUVs are equipped with one.

- Nimbleness : Helps in jumping in & out of gaps created by Mother Nature. Size counts, and the bigger you are, the more the disadvantage whilst offroading.

- Simpler construction : The less you have, the less that can break.

- Cheaper to fix : If you break something when 4wheeling. Who wants to worry about repair bills when offroading?

- Won't roll that easily : Unlike that top-heavy SUV & its super-soft suspension

- A chassis that can take abuse.

- Visibility : I can take the doors, and even the top off my Jeep, for better visibility during offroading. Can't really do that with your 7 seater luxury SUV now, can you?

- Modification-friendly : Due to their simpler construction, and lack of electronics, a Jeep is very easy & way cheaper to modify for offroad performance. Most offroaders have ground clearance on the top of their priority list. As easy as an SPOA (forum search please) and taller tyres on a Jeep.

BTW, there is no reason why modern + offroading don't go hand in hand. A 2011 Jeep Wranger Rubicon or Bowler will blow every antique Jeep out of the water.

Last edited by GTO : 17th November 2011 at 14:16.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2011, 21:02   #4
BHPian

Re: What makes Jeeps such serious offroaders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuresh View Post
Always heard that Jeeps are very serious offroading capabilities.

Always wondered what makes jeeps robust offroaders - particularly what their much costlier counter parts (SUVs) can't match?

A corollary to the question is what makes modern SUVs so much more costlier than jeeps.

I might have differentiated Jeeps from SUVs for the sake of stating above question. Perhaps Jeeps are SUVs themselves. Am I right?

Mayuresh.
Jeeps were designed purely for offroading purpose during the WW2. simple to fix, light and basic.

Todays suvs are a mix of everything, they need to look good, handle well, be luxuries and for all this their offroad capability is compromised .
Old 16th November 2011, 21:58   #5
BHPian

Do jeeps have 4x4 / AWD etc by default? I guess, no. Classical jeeps are a very old design. (I do not mean a particular brand here but anything that goes close to Mahindra Jeep as a classic example.)

Notwithstanding that, from the replies so far, at least the mid range SUVs (say below 20L) do not add much to the core engineering of a good cost effective off roader like jeep. Do they?

They probably add looks, loads of electronics and some amount of of driving comfort (I mean better seats, power steering etc.)

Just wonder what types of cars are around that give ruggedness of a jeep and just about good driving comfort. I may not want all the jazzy features, particularly if they come for such a heavy cost.
Old 16th November 2011, 22:05   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

IMO, the greatest differentiator between Jeeps and modern SUV's are the simplicity indesign, also the cost of repair.

Well, the Merc's or Toyota's might be able to perform as much as Jeeps but, will you want to keep a budget of lacs for one serious OTR?

I'll give you an example.

Things like this happen in OTR's:
What makes Jeeps such serious offroaders?-3419.jpg

Cost of repair = A broken ORVM, a dent on the door max (which i guess the roll bar can prevent).

Imagine the damages if it were a 1 crore SUV. Or atleast a 20 lac Toyota.

I hope you get the drift, eh?

Pic Source: GTO's CJ 340 (Classic) Thread.

Last edited by dhanushs : 16th November 2011 at 22:07.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2011, 23:19   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
IMO, the greatest differentiator between Jeeps and modern SUV's are the simplicity indesign, also the cost of repair.

Well, the Merc's or Toyota's might be able to perform as much as Jeeps but, will you want to keep a budget of lacs for one serious OTR?

I'll give you an example.

Things like this happen in OTR's:
Attachment 843185

Cost of repair = A broken ORVM, a dent on the door max (which i guess the roll bar can prevent).

Imagine the damages if it were a 1 crore SUV. Or atleast a 20 lac Toyota.

I hope you get the drift, eh?

Pic Source: GTO's CJ 340 (Classic) Thread.
Would you take a 1 Crore SUV in that kind of stuff..??

And if you want to do serious offroading, do you need the Air Con, Power windows, reading lamps, etc etc..?? or just want to enjoy the mud and its fresh smell..??

Why to invest 1 Crore for something that you will enjoy in just a few lakhs?? And I bet you will enjoy it more.

If you have a dent on the door, where would you use the hammer, on the Caynne/Rangie/Q7.. or our good ol jeep..??

Last edited by diesel_power : 16th November 2011 at 23:21.
diesel_power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2011, 13:46   #8

4X4 system is built in the jeeps,but it is optional for the rest.That is; first the system is designed and the body is installed on it for jeeps.Hence; first a body is designed and optionally a 4x4 system is installed for the others.
seyit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2011, 15:04   #9
Team-BHP Support

The biggest advantage of a jeep, esp one bought from scrapyard, is that you do not worry about scratches and dings from terrain. Even with a highly capable SUV, designed for offroading, you would be worried about getting the panels scratched from branches, thorns etc.,
If you do not worry about it, many modern offroaders will be able to overcome excess weight by using proper tires, and also due to their powerful engines.
Old 17th November 2011, 15:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_power View Post
Would you take a 1 Crore SUV in that kind of stuff
Well not a Cr, but how about half?

Jan2011 Annual OTR Bangalore, saw the most abused Prado with a zillion dinks/dents/scratches - the owner was cool doing more to it...!! I think it is a case of 'to each his own'. How about the recent run of Manufacturers calling/organizing their 'expensive' On-road luxury SUV's to showcase how dirty they can get? Well, its a start, but yes they ARE expensive to repair.

Seen the hyd boyz take their audi's Qs, cayenne's? out for a sunday bash(ing) - literally!!

--------
BAck to topic - why are gypsy boyz silent?
svsantosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2011, 16:42   #11
Senior - BHPian

Jeeps primarily were built for off road terrains, while SUV's were designed more for distance driving, comfort and occasional soft off-roading with severe limitations due their dynamics.

The construction, ruggedness, ground clearance, short wheel base, simplicity in design of mechanicals, suspension and carriage are the major factors that give the Jeep a distinct edge over SUV's apart from ease of maintenance.

The options to customize the mechanicals, suspension, tyre upgrade in a Jeep are endless to suit individual application.

The predecessors of the original Jeep design, eg. Mahindra and others have been emulating the philosophy of durability over design and comfort (including the THAR).

One can build four serious, good looking Jeeps (the cost of a 20L SUV) and drive on-road with street presence, personality and on off-roads, its is another story.
Regards,

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 17th November 2011 at 16:45.
fazalaliadil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2011, 17:59   #12
Team-BHP Support

Well, I tried offroading in the SUV. Got some body scratches, broke a bumper, and then went ahead and bought a Jeep.

Did this on the first week of buying the Grand Vitara.

It is very easy to break things while offroading. Fixing it is very expensive in the SUV, but very cheap in Jeep or Gypsy. In addition, most of us offroading trails are prepared for Jeep/Gypsy. Bigger vehicles find it very difficult in those trails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Jan2011 Annual OTR Bangalore, saw the most abused Prado with a zillion dinks/dents/scratches - the owner was cool doing more to it...!!
IIRC, it was not the owner, it was a friend of the owner. I wonder how he explained the scratches to the owner.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2011, 18:41   #13
Team-BHP Support

Watch this in the first rocky trail where the RR had to back out (1:35 min'ish), a jeep gypsy would have moved on

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th November 2011 at 18:43.
Old 17th November 2011, 19:05   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
IIRC, it was not the owner, it was a friend of the owner. I wonder how he explained the scratches to the owner.
The prado in Aavalakonda 2011 was from our team.
The Owner was new to offroad.
The friend who drove it is actually a very good driver, one of the best in our circle Abinav Reddy .Same person who took the 1st prize in Examm drag, fastest timed MM550.

He drove my petrol jeep in the last obstacle on day 2 Bangalore otr and went through those rocks on the base of the hill in one go. Arka was manning that obstacle .

During the mud climb , the prado was driven by the owner and lost control and rammed on the left side , my friend got in and tired to get it out, but there was lot of confusion as lot of spotters were shouting different things.
They are close friends and they regularly break Ranger rover vogue ,cayenne and the LC200.Prado is peanuts for them.

Last edited by Samurai : 17th November 2011 at 23:33. Reason: quote only the part needed.
Old 17th November 2011, 21:59   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
One can build four serious, good looking Jeeps (the cost of a 20L SUV) and drive on-road with street presence, personality and on off-roads, its is another story.
Regards,
Interesting remark.

To me gizmos are not as important. But driving comfort, particularly on bad roads (country side as well as pothole ridden ones in cities) is. (say softroading rather than serious offroading).

What cars or Jeep derivatives can offer this?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks