Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2011, 15:46   #76
Team-BHP Support

Re: Exhaust fumes in Thar Cabin

I been following this Thar thread.
Then I read this on the Toyota Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
As got to understand while discussions with these very well trained people, the problem seemed to detected in only one Etios in Delhi, where some cuts and bruises were seen on the Fuel inlet and Air outlet Hoses leading to the fuel tank. This was reported to Toyota and Toyota sensed that something like that should not happen or occur. Hence they decided to replace it for all Etios and Liva petrol upto 8 Oct which have the hoses from a particular manufacturer.
M&M,
You have a easy to replicate scenario that is literally poisoning your customers.
AND YOU DONT CARE.
SHAME ON YOU.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2011, 19:00   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post

if you think hard enough, it's all there running on the road, in the form of Scorpios, Bolero VLXs and "Scorpio Getaways". . Their exhaust does not smell, so why should Thar's exhaust smell? Ask this to people! Think naa! Its all there! That's why I have always said "Thar is Scorpio in disguise".
Dear Mr. Dhabhar - Straight question - If I get rid of the catalytic converter - will this exhaust smell go away completely ?

I am no expert but that's the difference that is apparent to me from the boleros and getaways there.

If yes - help us on how to get rid of the catalytic converter - what should I change and how - what will be the impact.

There was a reason for this discussion under the technical section.
Old 29th December 2011, 19:08   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
Dear Mr. Dhabhar - Straight question - If I get rid of the catalytic converter - will this exhaust smell go away completely ?

I am no expert but that's the difference that is apparent to me from the boleros and getaways there.

If yes - help us on how to get rid of the catalytic converter - what should I change and how - what will be the impact.

There was a reason for this discussion under the technical section.
Don't think so. Check the EGR valve. That could be the culprit.
Old 29th December 2011, 20:11   #79

Quote:

I wonder what has changed. Logic says it's the fuel maps!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Quote:
Dear all - by the way, what was 521? Really, if you think hard enough, it's all there running on the road, in the form of Scorpios, Bolero VLXs and "Scorpio Getaways". . Their exhaust does not smell, so why should Thar's exhaust smell? Ask this to people! Think naa! Its all there! That's why I have always said "Thar is Scorpio in disguise".
What I understood from the above posts.

If you change the Thar fuel map to Scorpios, the problem will be solved

Am I right ?

Niranjanam.
Old 29th December 2011, 20:54   #80
BANNED

friends,
I have got new data set installed & changed the exhaust pipes.All fine now.
Rajith is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th December 2011, 09:10   #81
BHPian

Hi,

I told you'll in the beginning 99.9% it would fix the issue. The data set pre-loaded is not the same as the one BD sir had loaded in the prototype. In fact the data set loaded for the European market is way different as well,beats me as to why a completely new data set was loaded. Rajith can you confirm if the same parameters were re-loaded or a new one. For the benefit of other members would you be able to elaborate on which parts of the exhaust were changed.

Regards,

Vijay
Old 30th December 2011, 09:35   #82
BANNED

friends,
3 times tried.While loading upto 80% 2 laptops win xp - os got corrupted and with 3rd one Data set was reloaded 9XXX series and earlier it was 3003 series.
Exhaust tail pipe only changed with retro fitting, twds right.Like a MAJOR.Fitting looks clean and well tuck in. Catcon was flushed out.All fine.
Old 30th December 2011, 11:54   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
friends,
3 times tried.While loading upto 80% 2 laptops win xp - os got corrupted and with 3rd one Data set was reloaded 9XXX series and earlier it was 3003 series.
Exhaust tail pipe only changed with retro fitting, twds right.Like a MAJOR.Fitting looks clean and well tuck in. Catcon was flushed out.All fine.
Hi Rajith - Where was this done - I mean was it at India Garage - Victoria Road service center ?

Cheers
Carrot
Old 30th December 2011, 13:34   #84
BANNED

hi,
I have corrected in india garage - ASC at Laggere, near peenya.
Old 31st December 2011, 14:32   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
Exhaust tail pipe only changed with retro fitting, twds right. Like a MAJOR. Fitting looks clean and well tuck in.
Dear Rajith - it is nice to knw your observations after dress level change. Can you please post some photographs of the exhaust system tail pipe tucked in towards right side like Major? I want to see the layout clearances.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 1st January 2012, 13:17   #86
BANNED

sir,
pictures attached as per your request.
Rajith
Attached Thumbnails
Exhaust fumes in Thar Cabin-ex-1.jpg  

Exhaust fumes in Thar Cabin-ex-2.jpg  

Exhaust fumes in Thar Cabin-ex-3.jpg  

Old 1st January 2012, 16:45   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Can you please post some photographs of the exhaust system tail pipe tucked in towards right side like Major? I want to see the layout clearances.
In addition to RAjith's pics - here are some more - I have got this new exhaust pipe installed as well.

Dear Mr. Dhabhar - with your experience - let us know of any apparent flaws with this setup.

Its difficult to take pictures from under the Jeep - however I have tried.

Exhaust fumes in Thar Cabin-img_2410.jpg
Exhaust fumes in Thar Cabin-img_2411.jpg
Exhaust fumes in Thar Cabin-img_2412.jpg
Exhaust fumes in Thar Cabin-img_2413.jpg

The fit into the cat con
Exhaust fumes in Thar Cabin-img_2414.jpg

A kind of rubber set up to suspend the setup behind the mud flap

Exhaust fumes in Thar Cabin-img_2415.jpg
Old 1st January 2012, 18:44   #88
BHPian

@carrot_eater

Excellent Snap shots of the exhaust setup . Was this done under warranty if not what was the expense ?

Chengappa.

Last edited by Timson : 1st January 2012 at 18:45.
Old 1st January 2012, 21:32   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timson View Post
@carrot_eater
Excellent Snap shots of the exhaust setup . Was this done under warranty if not what was the expense ?
Chengappa.
Hi Chengappa - All done under warranty - completely free of cost - And as of now the smell is more or less gone.

More or less because - you do get a whiff of that smell once in a while for a second or two - In spite of asking and also told that the data set was reloaded - I don't really believe that it was done because they need some one from Cotak or some name that sounds that way (a company's name) to get the data set reloaded and apparently those folks were on some training and in fact I was told they were getting trained precisely for the Thar smell issue.

I really need to be there to ensure the data set is indeed reloaded.
Old 2nd January 2012, 14:09   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Rajith and Carrot Eater - thank you for the pictures. In the last photograph above, the plate and the curved pipe are the field fix. The tail pipe mounting hook is held on the plate. In order to have effective strength (section modulus) of this plate in "Z" axis, I would have provided a support to one of the four holes next to the big hole on the bumper. Also, I would prefer to use M10 fasteners instead of M8 at the plate to bumper location but that will call for bumper drawing change, so it will call for PPRF going upto FTR (don't ask what is PPRF / FTR, it will start a Ramayana / Mahabharata), so you please do locally for your own cars. It will take 15 minutes to fabricate and fit. Also reinforce the bumper section into a box at this location with welded support on the long member. Both these actions will prevent bumper and bracket flex, otherwise the hook nut will loosen and fall off. Mud flap is shifted to the front side. Similar bracket must be offered on the LH side also to provide same location for the mud flap on both sides, otherwise rear appearance will look cocky. I hope this does not change the ramp breakover angle or else recertification of CMVR will be required before it goes in production. There should be a shield behind the tailpipe to prevent inadvertent burn to anybody touching it.

Now you know how a product engineer is supposed to think!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks