Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2012, 09:52   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyderabad Hard Top (Thar)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Zach View Post
The HT looks very nice! Is there a choice of colors . Black-for instance.
Zach,

You name the colour and its done.

The Hyd. HT is coming to the Bangalore OTR, here's a sneak preview of the out come of a complete paint job by Prabhu on the Thar and the hardtop.
Regards,

Hyderabad Hard Top (Thar)-img02441201201260904.jpg

Hyderabad Hard Top (Thar)-img02443201201260905.jpg

Hyderabad Hard Top (Thar)-img02446201201260906.jpg

Hyderabad Hard Top (Thar)-img02447201201260906.jpg
fazalaliadil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th January 2012, 10:52   #32
Senior - BHPian

The grab rails looks very put of place, if for a purpose, they can be made black too.
Old 26th January 2012, 11:00   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
The grab rails looks very put of place, if for a purpose, they can be made black too.
The colors used on this Jeep is purely to highlight all the features that have been incorporated into the design. Finer product mods would be based on the feedback we get at the OTR.

Eg: I've heard that Prabhu's used clamps that are low profile but can carry up-to 500kgs each!!......... function comes before design for Prabhu.

The grab rails probably look out of place cause of the photo angle and also since its centered to the sunroof ( and not the hard top itself). Prabhu's never been a camera guy and his trusty clicker is a blackberry . Lets all wait for a clear description and photo-shoot courtesy the participants of B'lore OTR and Fazal saab himself not least.

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 26th January 2012 at 11:09.
Old 26th January 2012, 11:40   #34
Senior - BHPian

Wow - the "Jeep" looks great. Wish it came like this from the factory, would make life so much easier for most of us...

Brilliant job !! Kudos to the gentlemen involved with the design & development. Once this is tried & tested, the price would be posted ??

Just hope that it will be courier-able.

Cheers
Old 26th January 2012, 11:49   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Wow - the "Jeep" looks great. Wish it came like this from the factory, would make life so much easier for most of us...

Brilliant job !! Kudos to the gentlemen involved with the design & development. Once this is tried & tested, the price would be posted ??

Just hope that it will be courier-able.

Cheers
It is definitely courier-able in a 3x3ft box and DIY too!

Ok enough of me spoiling the show since im not an avid 4x4er and cannot gauge the excitement that you lot will have with describing this Hard Top. Rest of the details shall be shared once the team is back from the OTR
Old 26th January 2012, 11:53   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
It is definitely courier-able in a 3x3ft box and DIY too!

Ok enough of me spoiling the show since im not an avid 4x4er and cannot gauge the excitement that you lot will have with describing this Hard Top. Rest of the details shall be shared once the team is back from the OTR

Thanks for the information. I am sure there would be a lot of thoughts on the HT once the Thar has been to the OTR. Would look forward to more pics & information, it would also be nice to see how the abuse of the OTR is handled, as in rattles, loosening of the top (if at all)

Cheers
Old 26th January 2012, 13:22   #37
BHPian

Water tested ? curious about the results ..
and reverse compatible with legacy MM54/55*s ?
Old 26th January 2012, 19:04   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Eg: I've heard that Prabhu's used clamps that are low profile but can carry up-to 500kgs each!!......... function comes before design for Prabhu.
Just a thought. The clamps used are toggle clamps (lookup say steelsmith). These can generate enormous forces. However in the arrangement used, the clamps are pulling against each other, essentially testing the strength of the panel, rather than pulling the panel down on the frame.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 26th January 2012, 19:40   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Just a thought. The clamps used are toggle clamps (lookup say steelsmith). These can generate enormous forces. However in the arrangement used, the clamps are pulling against each other, essentially testing the strength of the panel, rather than pulling the panel down on the frame.

Regards
Sutripta
Aha!! , you and me think alike Sutripta sirji. They basically just hold the panels in place as against fighting against each other. Me and Fazal had the same predicament and the following mod was done.

The clamps are fitted with a little notch ( with metal inserts inside the panel) to increase their height. One has to pull down on the clamp before fixing it , thereby pulling the panel down onto the frame . Also , the loops are adjustable hence avoiding from the clamps pulling against each more than what is required. This in addition to the rubber beading inserts provides just the right amount of sealing.

PS : Feedback from the Thar party en-route to B'lore : Its dead silent in the cabin

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 26th January 2012 at 19:59.
absynthguzzler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2012, 20:30   #40
Senior - BHPian

^^^
No matter what you do before clamping, ultimately it is the forces generated by the clamps which is finally acting. Work out the vectors.

Easier solution is a bellcrank arrangement. However, too many sharp bits in the passenger compartment then. (Even now, there are too many for my liking)

If quantities are sufficient, one can always tool up and make proper clamps.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2012, 20:39   #41
BHPian

Quote:
^^^
No matter what you do before clamping, ultimately it is the forces generated by the clamps which is finally acting. Work out the vectors.

Easier solution is a bellcrank arrangement. However, too many sharp bits in the passenger compartment then. (Even now, there are too many for my liking)

Regards
Sutripta
I get what your saying Sutripta Sir. There is scope for improvement here and will surely be implemented. All depends on scale as suggested and also quality of clamps readily available........ I guess the one's fitted are experimental until this HT's 1st OTR is completed and the design changes are understood.
Old 27th January 2012, 15:14   #42
Senior - BHPian

Just fot back from the Mahindra Showroom in Gurgaon. Wanted to TD the vehicle, there is no vehicle available for close to 2 months, as they are "upgrading" or so the Sales Man tells me. They are finally putting in an Aircon though there is still no HT version on the cards or so says the dealer.

Price unknown. Delivery period unknown. Will check out the update when it finally lands in the Showroom. He also said that they are changing something in the interiors of the vehicle. I hope they are not thinking of BEIGE to make it so uph-market

Look forward to the new refreshed THAR then plonk this hard top on it & you are good to go !!!!!

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2012, 15:38   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is scope for improvement here and will surely be implemented. All depends on scale as suggested and also quality of clamps readily available........ I guess the one's fitted are experimental until this HT's 1st OTR is completed and the design changes are understood.
Hi,
Functionally, Hold Down Toggle clamps (horizontal version) fitted on the panels (not frame) would work. Though stacking the panels when not in use would be a problem.
I think clamping at the four corners would be more effective than the middle of the sides.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 27th January 2012, 22:02   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Look forward to the new refreshed THAR then plonk this hard top on it & you are good to go !!!!!Cheers
That's great encouragement to Prabhu, Fazal bhai and their efforts

Quote:
Hi,
Functionally, Hold Down Toggle clamps (horizontal version) fitted on the panels (not frame) would work. Though stacking the panels when not in use would be a problem.
I think clamping at the four corners would be more effective than the middle of the sides.

Regards
Sutripta
There is something I've conjured up, lets hope once im back to Hyd , we're able to tool up and seek your guidance n approval on the design .

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 29th January 2012 at 13:17. Reason: See note in post :)
Old 28th January 2012, 10:39   #45
BHPian

Quote:
^^^

Regards
Sutripta
The design of the hardtop is spot on, good job guys
BTW am a fam of New Mars designs by Prabhu/Fazal bhai, love the Rubicon replica....
Questions about the HT
- can it be made without the roof rails, too short for my liking
- can the two roof panels be avoided in the front, leaving only the back one for, photographers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks