Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2012, 11:23   #61
BHPian

Re: Hyderabad Hard Top (Thar)

hi fazal bhai
I understand the hard top can be made only with the back opening and not putting the front two....that correct? Whats it about the upgrade on the Thar by MM
amar
Old 30th January 2012, 11:47   #62

Great looking Hard Top and the positive experiences mentioned. Eagerly looking forward to the details on pricing and some more pics of course.
Just a question - are you also looking to offer some interior work such as central console, front facing seats etc. or limited to only the HT?
Old 30th January 2012, 20:24   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
It would have to be back side opening , similar to all ventilator modes as provided in auto sunroofs.
Hi,
Was thinking more on the lines of a fresh air intake, rather than vent. As I said, equivalent to running with windscreen slightly open. (Ask any old Jeeper why!)

Regards
Sutripta
Old 1st February 2012, 10:00   #64
Senior - BHPian

Any updates on the Thar that went for the OTR ?? Any pics of the vehicle would be welcome

Cheers
Old 1st February 2012, 18:31   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Any updates on the Thar that went for the OTR ?? Any pics of the vehicle would be welcome
Ricky,

Attaching a few pics taken by Ravveendrra. He has been busy so I am uploading on his behalf.

There have been no issues at all after the OTR, in spite of the twists and extreme flexes on it, as most participants at the OTR camp have witnessed.

I would like to add, personally I would not take a HT mounted Thar to an OTR for the simple reason that the HT is not for OTR's but for...

1. Lockable cabin
2. Effective AC
3. Camping
4. Wildlife shoots
5. Ease of reversing back to open or soft top etc.

Prabhu was in no mood to relent and wanted to test the top in extreme conditions. At high speeds exceeding 120 kmph, there was whistling from the gap between the A pillar and front panel joint. A complete redesigning of the the area concerned is underway to overcome it.
Regards,

At Kanakapura, sector 1 & 2.
Hyderabad Hard Top (Thar)-400067_3210391505083_1425096505_4981530_360613951_n.jpg

Hyderabad Hard Top (Thar)-402595_3210394465157_1425096505_4981536_1327823874_n.jpg

Hyderabad Hard Top (Thar)-430582_3210396225201_1425096505_4981539_1483207681_n.jpg

Hyderabad Hard Top (Thar)-396333_3210399145274_1425096505_4981543_1791133934_n.jpg
fazalaliadil is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st February 2012, 20:43   #66
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing the pics..seems like the HT is going to be "the one" for the THAR...awaiting price & lead time

Cheers
Old 4th February 2012, 13:54   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Ricky,

Attaching a few pics taken by Ravveendrra. He has been busy so I am uploading on his behalf.
Thank you Fazal saab. Yes I was unable to post the pictures here earlier. Having spent a lot of time in the Thar with the HT on the trip to the OTR, I thought I should also post my views comments on the HT.

The Thar itself does speeds of upto 140 kmph (depending on the tyres) the Thar on which the HT was tested was limited (by us) to 120 due to the tyres.

Prabhu tried keeping the Thar at those speeds on the highway so as to check the HT for gaps, leaks, whistling noises, squeaks, creaks etc. This meant that one mechanic and I were scurrying around the interior of the Thar looking for gaps, noises etc.

I must report that once the gap at the top of the A pillar was closed using a readily available 'jugaad' the inside of the Thar was very quiet. The noise levels no doubt being cut down due to the 'sandwitch' material chosen by Prabhu. Wind noise and road noise were controlled effectively and I was able to carry on telephone conversations at normal volume. Prabhu however identified some more areas where the HT could be finessed so that it sat flush with body panels and the noise levels (and drag) could be reduced further.

The HT stayed firmly in place throughout the journey. The rear door too did not rattle. The removable sun roofs (3 of them - two for the front and one in the rear) remained firmly in place and did not move or rattle.

Hyderabad Hard Top (Thar)-p10907561.jpg
The Thar parked for lunch alongwith the superb Lynx.

Off the road was where we were expecting problems due to the extreme twisting etc of the body (Prabhu does not believe in removing the original B pillar) and how the twisting of the vehicle would affect the HT.

We need not have worried, except for a few paint cracks (need to work on the primer used and thickness of paint to eliminate this) the HT held up well. There were no noises inside the cabin at any time. The HT remained as silent as a tomb. The mountings (where the HT is fixed to the body) remained fast. The HT remained 'true' to its shape.

Hyderabad Hard Top (Thar)-p10907571.jpg
This picture was taken standing through the front left sun roof of the HT. We can see the HT in the foreground

One suggestion given by participants in the OTR was to properly anchor the grab handles on top of the rear section so that people on the footboard can hang onto them safely and so that rescuers can push/pull on these handles when aiding the vehicle in case it was stuck.

Hyderabad Hard Top (Thar)-p10907951.jpg
A view of the HT on the trail, both the front and rear portions can be seen as well as the grab handles next to the rear sunroof.

Prabhu is now working on the leading edges (above the windshield) to remove wind noise (and drag) as well as several minor things. He hopes the final product will be ready to be shipped in a few weeks. Wishing him all the best as the product is great.

Hyderabad Hard Top (Thar)-p10908271.jpg
View of the HT (and beyond) from the driver seat.
Ravveendrra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2012, 15:57   #68
Senior - BHPian

Many thanks for the brilliant detailed first hand "feel"...I am glued to the thread as are many others I am sure !

Look forward to more as the progress happens !!

Cheers
Old 4th February 2012, 16:07   #69
BHPian

Thank you for all the efforts put by you people it making this Thar HT feel like an OEM accessory.
Now we are eagerly awaiting for its pricing.

After OEM fitted A/C is available, Non availablity of a proper HT was the only and biggest negative point I have, to convince my Wifee/ family and get 'Tharred'.

You know, some times, we need their concurrences too..
Old 10th February 2012, 16:05   #70
Senior - BHPian

Awaiting updates & more pictures from all angles if possible

Cheers
Old 10th February 2012, 20:53   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Prabhu tried keeping the Thar at those speeds on the highway so as to check the HT for gaps, leaks, whistling noises, squeaks, creaks etc. This meant that one mechanic and I were scurrying around the interior of the Thar looking for gaps, noises etc.
Normally easier to use a length of tubing as a stethoscope.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 10th February 2012, 21:03   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Awaiting updates & more pictures from all angles if possible Cheers
The corrections are on-going + the t-bhp members actively involved in this HT are all on tour. i think Prabhu's working on how to ascertain that all the pieces made remain uniform without minor defects in the outcome since its a manual process.
absynthguzzler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2012, 16:59   #73
Senior - BHPian

Do you include some sort of ultraviolet/sun protection in your recipe? I have seen tops crack like your mama's combat boots after a few months of Deccan sun.

I hope you will sell a version without sun roofs altogether. Sun roofs and leaks are almost synonymous up here in heavy weather country....sun, bad monsoon, snow, ice.

....really great looking top. I bet the Mahindra customization twinkies are trembling.
Old 13th February 2012, 18:32   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Do you include some sort of ultraviolet/sun protection in your recipe? I have seen tops crack like your mama's combat boots after a few months of Deccan sun.

I hope you will sell a version without sun roofs altogether.
DirtyDan,

It is UV protected, been in the sun since the Bangalore OTR, no cracks and none expected. The testing process continues as the HT Thar does not miss an opportunity for the sake of testing. Yesterday we had a mini OTR around the city and it was there 'under test'.

There are two models planned, with and without the roof panels.

By the time this top comes to you it would undergone several tests, developments, reason for the delay in putting it on the sale shelf yet.
Regards,

Hyderabad Hard Top (Thar)-419850_10150549204226924_617306923_9469234_987102392_n.jpg
fazalaliadil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2012, 23:16   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@fazal:

Looking at the latest pic, I feel that the clamp for the lift gate on the right side maynot be accessible if you use the OEM spare tyre carrier. Can you please look into this...
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks