Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2012, 00:01   #91
BANNED

Re: Hyderabad Hard Top (Thar)

I hope that you are also developing a single piece hardtop with openable units both i front and the back. The two piece unit does not look as good as the single piece unit. (its my personal feeling). I have also seen the top designed by bimbra industries it would have looked good if the height of the hardtop had been flush with the windscreen height. Hoping to see the final designs soon both for the single and two piece units. Keep up the good work

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st March 2012 at 13:13. Reason: Please don't type in ALL CAPS. Thanks.
Old 4th March 2012, 04:31   #92
BHPian

Hi,
Very good job on this project guys ! Really keen about this HT, looks better than the ones I have seen (3 from Bimbras and 1 from a BHPian).

Now the key will be being entirely DIY, will it need some skills ? Or a local mechanic who can do it ?

Also, the other key factor will be will it be cheaper or similarly priced as it's competition :
  1. Aldrmado (Fellow BHPian's HT product) costs 65,000.
  2. Bimbras FRP - 2 piece (Very similar to this) costs 50,000.
  3. Bimbras MS - 1 piece non removable costs something around 90,000.
Any hints or range about the cost or simply something like will be cheaper than 1, 2 or 3 from the above.

And the delivery time, when these finally go into production ?

The wait I'm sure will be worth it, but it also makes us inquisitive ! Especially with the Thar V2/Thar Refreshed almost certain to come out soon, couldn't be a better time to get a fully functional, yet affordable HT for the Thar.

Also, sorry OT, but -

What tyres and alloys on the Thar which went for OTR tests, they look great, and what other mods does that Thar have ? I saw the snorkeler and heavy punpers and bullbards for sure, who has done those ?

Can you please post pictures of how the rear door will work, and how will one sit in the rear front facing seats ?

Thanks, and good luck ! Subscribed to the thread !
Old 14th March 2012, 16:23   #93
Senior - BHPian

Whilst taking a walk this morning I passed this nice looking Thar with hardtop parked at a hotel about 600 meters from my house. Are any of our members responsible for this? Note the front range of the Himalayas and the snow close by.

The beautiful Tibetan girl is included to remind M&M that the Thar is pretty sexy but not ultimate. There are still other things to consider like HEADERS in a tank top....or this girl in a tank top. Modesty prohibits me from posting a picture of ME in a tank top.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyderabad Hard Top (Thar)-thar-hardtop-1-1204-x-903.jpg  

Hyderabad Hard Top (Thar)-thar-hardtop-2-1204-x-903.jpg  

Hyderabad Hard Top (Thar)-thar-hardtop-3-1204-x-903.jpg  

Hyderabad Hard Top (Thar)-drop-dead-gorgeous3.jpg  

DirtyDan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th March 2012, 17:43   #94
Team-BHP Support

LMAO DirtyDan!

But somehow i missed this thread! Fazal saab that's a great HT job, would do wonders to the Thar. Cost will be the biggest catch, if you can bring it out at a reasonable cost am sure it will move out like hot vada

Wonder why M&M cant do this inspite of having so many resources at their disposal.

Last edited by GTO : 25th July 2012 at 12:34. Reason: Typo
Old 14th March 2012, 17:48   #95
Senior - BHPian

That Hardtop looks like the one offered by Bimbra Industries, the photo of the same has been posted here on the forum in some other Thar discussion thread.
Old 14th March 2012, 20:18   #96
BHPian

That is a HT by Bimbras which costs around 49,000. Wish they windows on all 3 sides were a bit smaller and the product some what cheaper.
Old 17th March 2012, 18:26   #97

I owned a jeep wrangler. Used to switch to the hard top during winter. The hard top was unwieldy and back heavy. Mainly because of the large back glass panel. One also needed considerable space to store the hard top. The fit used to cause a whistling sound over the driver side door at highway speeds.

Chrysler has since come out with multi part hard top. I abandoned switching to my soft top -- it got smelly and was a pain for highway use.

I hope the hardtop being designed will store compactly? Will it need more than one person to dismantle and install?

The back glass window used to swing up for the jeep. One could drive on the highway with back open that way. Maybe another design consideration for you guys. It helps when you are trying to carry a long article in the very short jeep.

Have been following this thread very intently. Hope to see more pictures and prices for finished product.
Old 17th March 2012, 21:52   #98
BHPian

Fazal Sir.....what's the status update on the hardtop. Hope all is well and it's ready by monsoon season.

Vijay
Old 18th March 2012, 09:28   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Whilst taking a walk this morning I passed this nice looking Thar with hardtop parked at a hotel about 600 meters from my house. Are any of our members responsible for this? Note the front range of the Himalayas and the snow close by.

The beautiful Tibetan girl is included to remind M&M that the Thar is pretty sexy but not ultimate. There are still other things to consider like HEADERS in a tank top....or this girl in a tank top. Modesty prohibits me from posting a picture of ME in a tank top.
Dear Dan,

Even the alloys look distinct, this is the first time i am seeing such kind of alloys(very fancy).. Is this pic taken in TIBET? You made me think about visiting Tibet at least once in life time !
not for the girl but for the beauty it holds with it !
Old 18th March 2012, 17:26   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep2thar View Post
I owned a jeep wrangler. .
Hi welcome to the team bhp jeep community. Really happy to see your jeep here. Can you please post your Wrangler picture.

sali
Old 18th March 2012, 17:47   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj_k2001 View Post
Fazal Sir.....what's the status update on the hardtop. Hope all is well and it's ready by monsoon season.

Vijay
Fazal Saab does an amazing job more better than those guys at mahindra I must say.

I sold My wrangler just a month back, It was modeled after the jeep in the movie "BETAAB". I specially ordered leather from Thailand got it stitched after removing the original fabric.
Dark Blue from outside & light beige from inside.For this reason I never dared to remove Hardtop.But soon I realized my folly with the light interior, since I bashed the jeep regularly in desert & continuous offloading made the better of me sell it for good.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2679119

I personally favor the split, hard top, Maybe fazal Saab has done some mods to his design.
Old 18th March 2012, 17:53   #102
Senior - BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!

Dear Friends,

There has been a lot happening on the HT front in terms of design and material upgrade, production from manual to machined etc.

As you all are aware that the HT prototype that had been to the Bangalore OTR did very good and was ready for production...but it needed improvement in the above mentioned to make it the most desired and trusted hard top in India, we are working towards it and shall shortly reach what was originally envisioned. This HT competes with itself.

Shortly, I will give you a comprehensive update once the final picture is in place.
Regards,

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeemmee View Post
Fazal Saab does an amazing job more better than those guys at mahindra I must say.
Zeemmee,

Thank you for your kind words. I am honored.
Whatever chances I had at being an employee of Mahindra are now lost.
Regards,

Last edited by GTO : 19th March 2012 at 13:26. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 19th March 2012, 07:48   #103

@Salikt -- it is a pleasure to finally join the group here. I would not want to post pictures in this thread (off-topic!), but was hoping to do an ownership report to compare the Jeep and Thar (I am waiting for v2.0).
Old 10th April 2012, 12:54   #104
BHPian

Dear Fazal

Any update on the Hyderabad Hard Top?
I have booked for the 'refreshed' Thar and am eagerly awaiting your final design and pricing!!

Regards

Bopanna
Old 10th April 2012, 13:53   #105
BHPian

Dear All

Just found this on the Bimbra website, an FRP removable hard top for the Thar.
It has an uncanny resemblance to the one found in the Mahindra Italy website.
To give the devil its due, the hard top DOES look quite good in the profile!!

Please find details in the following link - Thar Mahindra Customization - Off-Roading 4x4 Accessories -Hard Tops

I just spoke to Taran Bimbra, it costs Rs. 49,500 (all inclusive)!!

I am posting it because it looks much better than the one in the previous pictures.
Mods: If you find the post repetitive, kindly delete it!!

Regards,

Bopanna
Attached Thumbnails
Hyderabad Hard Top (Thar)-bimbra-hard-top.jpg  

cpbopanna is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed